Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2015, 18:41   #1606
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I was very scared looking at the buses driven at break neck speed and coming on me head on many instances. Even the private cars hit the brakes at the last moment as they spot you on steep turns. My wife was very uncomfortable all the time in Chorla and we did not enjoy the journey 1 bit due to this maniacal driving. Because of all this, I think, I am happy to drive over a potholed road of Amboli than to risk my life because of some fools who have no sense of safety.
I will agree with you on this one. The road is excellent, but it's narrow with blind corners. Cars, trucks and buses are in a mad rush, and you can't enjoy the scenery because you are busy focusing on who is coming head on. Didn't face this in Amboli.

During my earlier trip, I had taken this route when departing from Goa, and traffic was sparse in the early morning. But this time, I was heading into Goa and reached Chorla around 4 pm and hence encountered more traffic.

I would prefer to use the Chorla route in mornings, and go via Amboli in the later half of the day.
Old 27th April 2015, 20:14   #1607
BHPian

I am heading to Goa for this long weekend. Will be driving from Pune to Benaulim (south Goa). I plan to take the Chorla Ghat route. Is the road in Chorla Ghat smooth? I have heard that as the mining has resumed, there is lot of heavy vehicle traffic on this route and that has led to bad roads. Is it worth taking that route? Or should I stick to Amboli route?
Old 28th April 2015, 11:07   #1608
BHPian

How are the road conditions from
1. Kolhapur - Gaganbawda - Tarkarli
2. Kolhapur - Radhanagari - Tarkarli
3. Tarkarli - Siolim (any ghats on this section)

I have never driven on the above routes, so here I am...

Trojan,

I have never driven too...but planning to drive this long weekend from Pune to Ashvem Beach followed by Tarkali for Scuba diving and back to Pune on Sunday.

Can you please share which route you took for Pune - Tarkali? I heard that Gaganbawda route is good. I will be leaving Tarkali around 2PM on Sunday for Pune.
Old 28th April 2015, 12:13   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetodrive View Post
How are the road conditions from
1. Kolhapur - Gaganbawda - Tarkarli
2. Kolhapur - Radhanagari - Tarkarli
3. Tarkarli - Siolim (any ghats on this section)

I have never driven on the above routes, so here I am...

Trojan,

I have never driven too...but planning to drive this long weekend from Pune to Ashvem Beach followed by Tarkali for Scuba diving and back to Pune on Sunday.

Can you please share which route you took for Pune - Tarkali? I heard that Gaganbawda route is good. I will be leaving Tarkali around 2PM on Sunday for Pune.
Kolhapur - Gaganbawda is the best route if going to Tarkarli.

Tarkarli - Siolim is narrow and you have to drive slow. (not driven, heard it from a friend)
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 14:05   #1610
BHPian

Annual Goa trip scheduled in mid May . I used the Chorla ghat route last year and based on the updates on the thread, looks like it's still the pick for reaching South Goa. Last year I just followed the GPS after the Goa entry fee check post which took me through some route I don't recollect now. Google Maps shows 2 potential routes to reach Varca beach. I'm unsure as too which is the best one - the blue or grey route? Other suggestions welcome as well!
Attached Images

Old 28th April 2015, 14:41   #1611
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogidada View Post
Annual Goa trip scheduled in mid May . I used the Chorla ghat route last year and based on the updates on the thread, looks like it's still the pick for reaching South Goa. Last year I just followed the GPS after the Goa entry fee check post which took me through some route I don't recollect now. Google Maps shows 2 potential routes to reach Varca beach. I'm unsure as too which is the best one - the blue or grey route? Other suggestions welcome as well!
Both are good routes. One comes via Usgaon into Ponda city while the other sticks to highways (Grey one) and you can bypass Ponda altogether. I'll choose the Grey one as it leaves a lesser chance of you losing way.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 16:53   #1612
BHPian

Quote:

Hey hi LTD,

Seems like our plans are similar

I am leaving tomorrow evening, 29-Apr, will be staying over at a friends place at Kolhapur and leave for Tarkarli on the morning of 30-Apr.

As advised by HVK, the best route is, if you avoid Kolhapur altogether and go by the Ajra route. Since I am anyways going to be staying at Kolhapur, I plan to take the Radhanagari route.

Gaganbawda route is in bad shape as per information received.

Radhanagari may be in similar condition, but I want to take that chance as I love driving through forests and new roads. Will update once am back.

Drive safe!

Cheers!
Trojan
Old 29th April 2015, 11:10   #1613
BHPian

Thanks Trojan, one question: I will start from Lohegaon after lunch. Planning to join Bangalore Road @Warje bridge. Have you ever tried Katraj Ghat road ? Should I experiment this road if I am starting late (I have to reach Panaji at night) or should I continue with my plan.

Thanks!
Old 29th April 2015, 11:32   #1614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Trojan, one question: I will start from Lohegaon after lunch. Planning to join Bangalore Road @Warje bridge. Have you ever tried Katraj Ghat road ? Should I experiment this road if I am starting late (I have to reach Panaji at night) or should I continue with my plan.

Thanks!
If you are joining at Warje bridge, stick to the tunnel route which will save you time. The road in Katraj ghat was quite bad some time back. We might cross paths on the highway tomorrow
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 11:49   #1615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
We might cross paths on the highway tomorrow
Sure Sir, I will check for your red Fiat Palio...mine is a red DZire Zxi, number ends with 571
Old 29th April 2015, 12:02   #1616
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sure Sir, I will check for your red Fiat Palio...mine is a red DZire Zxi, number ends with 571
Don't have the Palio anymore. I'll be in an Ertiga with a live to drive sticker.
Old 29th April 2015, 17:15   #1617
BHPian

Returned from South Goa on 28th Apr. Chorla ghat is smooth as usual. Started at 4:30 from Chinchwad and reached Varca at 1:30pm with stop at Sai International for breakfast.
Belgaum is short on Petrol I guess. Didnt get normal petrol anywhere. Checked at 3 petrol pumps. They had premium only. Topup on the NH4 highway before you enjoy the cheaper petrol in Goa.
A word of caution: I was cheated at Kini toll. I asked for Toll till Satara i.e including toll a Taswade which is Rs. 145. The guy took Rs. 145 and gave me the toll receipt. At Taswade, I showed the toll receipt but it was given only for Rs. 75. Had to pay another Rs. 70 at Taswade. I gave an earful to the attendant there at Taswade but he just smiled. Seems it's their usual modus operandi. My mistake was that I didn't verify the receipt after collecting it at Kini.
Please verify the toll receipts if you are taking it for multiple tolls.
Started from Varca at 7:30am, No checks at any of the checkposts. Good for me.
Planned to have breakfast at the KFC/McD/Subway/Pizza hut near KLE hospital (NH4 entry), Belgaum. I reached at 10:30am. All of these were closed and was told that they would open at 11am. Had to drive further on NH4 for breakfast.
Had lunch at Manas restaurant just after Satara. Absolute delight for Non-veg people. They have their food festivals going on this and next month. Worth trying atleast once.
bigwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 08:53   #1618
BHPian

Good to know that the road surface on the Chorla ghat route is good. Is there any way to bypass Belgaum city? Last time I went through this route, there was a traffic jam in Belgaum city. I wasted nearly an hour just to pass through Belgaum.
Old 30th April 2015, 10:31   #1619
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
Good to know that the road surface on the Chorla ghat route is good. Is there any way to bypass Belgaum city? Last time I went through this route, there was a traffic jam in Belgaum city. I wasted nearly an hour just to pass through Belgaum.
There is no way you can bypass Belgaum city. You will have to go through it.
Old 30th April 2015, 10:37   #1620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
There is a route via Khanapur - Gharli - Mollem - Ponda. The last I heard, this route did not have good roads and the Chorla ghat route (which can be accesed only via Belgaum) is preferred. Frequent travellers may be able to throw more light on this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks