Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2009, 10:00   #31
BHPian

Hi,

Did you do this trip? How were the road conditions?

Regards,
Sandeep
Old 15th December 2009, 11:07   #32
BHPian

Hi Sandeep, I had to defer the trip until the Christmas weekend due to office work. I am starting on 24th Dec morning. From the information I have gathered so far, it looks like a seamless 4-lane drive all the way to Tirunelveli except that there are few bridges under construction between Virudunagar and Tirunelveli. Not a big speed limiter though.

Good news is that the Madurai bypass between Samayanallur and Thirumangalam has been opened for traffic and we dont have to enter Madurai city at all. This will save you atleast 2 hours.
Old 15th December 2009, 11:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Lovely fast drive all the way. Only bad patch is near Kayathar, but that is for just a km or so.
Old 29th December 2009, 12:05   #34

Recent Trip to Tirunelveli

Hi - I did a trip to Tirunelveli in my 2006 Getz. Was expecting average roads beyond Madurai.
The route I tool was Bangalore- Salem-Madurai-Tirunelveli.Left Bangalore at 6.10 AM ( Brookfields/Whitefield) and reached Salem by 8.55 AM ( 200 Kms) . Started again @ 9.30 AM and reached Madurai by 12.45. Watch out for people coming on the wrongside between Namakkal-Karur stretch. These folks tend to come without even the headlights on- resulting in last minute shockers.. If possible avoid driving on the extreme right lane- use that only for overtaking .

I halted at Madurai for one day, and left at 2 PM towards Tirunelveli. The entire stretch is too good - except couple of deviations (bridge construction). I reached Tirunelveli by 5.20 PM

Speed Maintained- 90-105 Kmph
AC- 100%
Vehicle-Getz Petrol
Mileage-around 17.5
Old 31st December 2009, 11:50   #35
BHPian

Dear All, I just came back from my Tuticorin - Bangalore drive yesterday. The road from Bangalore to Kovilpatti is almost completely 4-laned except for the following

1. Two bridges between Bangalore and karnataka border. Otherwise the 6-lane road is very good compared to what it was a year ago.

2. Bridge under construction near Salem

3. Bridge in bypass road near dindugal

4. Bridge immediately after Samayanallur towards Madurai bypass road.

All the other places are fully 4-laned and by passes all towns enroute. This makes the drive much more faster.

During onward journey, I went to Kodaikanal, stayed for a day and then to Tuticorin.

The return was direct drive to Bangalore. Started at 8.30AM from Tuti and reached Bangalore at 7.30PM. The total distance from Home to Home is 618kms. Driving time was 9 hours and 2 hours break at Salem for Lunch. I had to drive inside Salem for lunch since there was no good restaurants in the highway between Madurai and Salem. The speed maintained was consistent 100 to 120kms/hr on a free 4-lane highway.

The drive was not tiring at all because of good roads. However, the dangerous and irritating habit I noticed with Tamilnadu drivers is that they tend to drive on the wrong side of the road without any slightest regard to their own safety and other road users. I really hope Tamilnadu police comes up with some steep fines or punishment for such drivers so that they will not dare to drive on the wrong side of the road. The drivers range from two-wheelers, buses, trucks, tractors etc. So we have to be very careful and vigilant always.
Old 31st December 2009, 23:07   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the update.I think from Salem After you cross the Thoppur Ghat you have Anand bhavan restaurant next time I think you can take a break there instead of going into the Salem city.

Last edited by gajadonga : 31st December 2009 at 23:08.
Old 8th January 2010, 05:05   #37
BHPian

Very good information, another few months then these small stretches should be fixed, work progress is really fast. I travelled from Bangalore to Srivilliputtur in my Wagon R, started 7AM from Bangalore (kudlu gate) and reached srivilliputter at 2:30pm, I never imagined, I will be at home for lunch. Took breakfast in Ananda bhavan before krishnagiri and another break after salem. Only took 7 and half hours. Thats valid point try to avoid driving in right side of the road as few places villagers cannot cross the road and they drive wrong side, they never care of us, I saw few tractors and lorries coming in wrong direction. Road is superb and Toll of around 230 rupees needs to be paid but its worth paying because I have seen how bad was the roads earlier and also saves lots of time and fuel. Dont have to enter Madurai so that saves more than 1 hour and new thirumangalam, need to get down from NH and take the Kollam road to reach Srivilliputtur, even that road is very good eventhough it single road.
Old 12th May 2010, 15:40   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetzLover View Post
Hi - I did a trip to Tirunelveli in my 2006 Getz. Was expecting average roads beyond Madurai.
The route I tool was Bangalore- Salem-Madurai-Tirunelveli.Left Bangalore at 6.10 AM ( Brookfields/Whitefield) and reached Salem by 8.55 AM ( 200 Kms) . Started again @ 9.30 AM and reached Madurai by 12.45. Watch out for people coming on the wrongside between Namakkal-Karur stretch. These folks tend to come without even the headlights on- resulting in last minute shockers.. If possible avoid driving on the extreme right lane- use that only for overtaking .

I halted at Madurai for one day, and left at 2 PM towards Tirunelveli. The entire stretch is too good - except couple of deviations (bridge construction). I reached Tirunelveli by 5.20 PM

Speed Maintained- 90-105 Kmph
AC- 100%
Vehicle-Getz Petrol
Mileage-around 17.5
Instead of grumbling within ourselves about people coming on the wrong side between Namakkal and Karur, why don't we guys go ahead and do something about it. The below link provides us space to register complaints related to Highways. Who knows; if there are a bunch of complaints registered about one specific problem, that too at a same place/area, they may at least get curious to know what's happening.

Welcome to NHAI
Old 24th May 2010, 12:37   #39
BHPian

Blr-KK trip on 1st of June 2010

Hello Guys,

I'll be doing the trip soon. I will post the updates pretty soon with pics in a new thread. Standby for further updates.

asdon :: Thank you for sharing your experience.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:40   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
Hello Guys,

I'll be doing the trip soon. I will post the updates pretty soon with pics in a new thread. Standby for further updates.

asdon :: Thank you for sharing your experience.
welcome to the journey, what I know as of now, all of the by-pass and over bridges are complete, so you will have a great drive
Old 24th May 2010, 13:42   #41
BHPian

Any Photos of the trip Asdon? I have been planning this since long. Now that wife has learned her driving, its time to improve on it with the baby its becoming little difficult
Old 24th May 2010, 14:45   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Any Photos of the trip Asdon? I have been planning this since long. Now that wife has learned her driving, its time to improve on it with the baby its becoming little difficult
will mail you some, as I started in night 9 pm, so no photos before Madurai
Old 25th May 2010, 12:23   #43
BHPian

Route Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
welcome to the journey, what I know as of now, all of the by-pass and over bridges are complete, so you will have a great drive
Well.. I had been to Madurai just a month ago and I know that till the entrance to Madurai the roads are silky smooth. But for kanyakumari do you have to take the left turn which has a horrid stretch for about 2kms and then enter the Madurai city or is there a continuation of the NH7 towards Kanyakumari ?
Old 25th May 2010, 12:47   #44
Senior - BHPian

No, the Madurai bypass on NH7 is a beauty and continues fluently without any turn offs towards Tirunelveli. All roads and bridges are complete except the last 5-6 kms before KK.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:46   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No, the Madurai bypass on NH7 is a beauty and continues fluently without any turn offs towards Tirunelveli. All roads and bridges are complete except the last 5-6 kms before KK.

Awesome.. Thanks for the update hvkumar. I will post a travelogue after the trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks