Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2012, 20:16   #166
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries

How far is Dhanushkodi from the 22 wells of Rameswaram. What am I to expect here. Pointers to pics please
Old 17th September 2012, 20:29   #167
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
How far is Dhanushkodi from the 22 wells of Rameswaram. What am I to expect here. Pointers to pics please
The road to Dhanushkodi is a right turn just before you reach the temple (temple has the 22 wells) - about 15-20Km drive. The erstwhile town was washed away in a cyclone in the 60's and you get to drive on the ruts in the sand to see the ruins. It's a must-visit place if you're going to Rameswaram.
More details in my travelogue here, hope this helps. You can also google Dhanushkodi for more reading.

Last edited by NPV : 17th September 2012 at 20:42.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 20:31   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You should park your car at Rameshwaram and take a jeep to Dhanushkodi.
That works out much better.

I think its about 20km from the temple.

Last edited by ampere : 17th September 2012 at 20:34.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 16:15   #169
BHPian

Planning to include Trivandrum to the itenerary. From Trivandrum, is there a separate route to Bangalore. Or do we have to come back to Nagercoil, and take the NH7 to Bangalore.
Old 22nd September 2012, 17:15   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Planning to include Trivandrum to the itenerary. From Trivandrum, is there a separate route to Bangalore. Or do we have to come back to Nagercoil, and take the NH7 to Bangalore.
NH7 is always the fastest. May be for a change you also an alternate route to Madurai via Thenmala to enjoy the ghats.
You can come to Madurai via Rajaplayam, Sriviliputtur. Get back on NH7 again from Madurai.

TVM-Rajapalayam:

Pramod knows better as he took this route once.
TVM-Nedumangad-Palode-Thenmala-Rajapalayam-Sriviliputtur-Madurai

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2554991
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 00:53   #171
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to include Trivandrum to the itenerary.
Do include a visit to Padmanabhaswamy Temple in Trivandrum.
I would also suggest visits to Suchindram Temple and Padmanabhapuram palace (these 2 places can be visited on your way to Trivandrum from Kanyakumari via Nagercoil).
I'd visited these 2 places from Kanyakumari as a day trip starting in the afternoon and returning late evening - more details in my travelogue link that I mentioned in the earlier post.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:55   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Traffic is manageable till Tenkasi. Tenkasi-Tirumangalam is flooded with all sorts of traffic, its best done in day. Evening hours after dark is strict no-no. I've heard Srivi-Tirumangalam is undergoing road widening recently.

The best way to do Trivandrum-Bangalore is to start at Trivandrum early morning 4-5am, so that you cross Nagercoil before civilization wakes up. Once you cross Kavalkinaru, its piece of cake, just step on the gas and cruise home!

Last edited by narayans80 : 23rd September 2012 at 10:56.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 13:23   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Traffic is manageable till Tenkasi. Tenkasi-Tirumangalam is flooded with all sorts of traffic, its best done in day. Evening hours after dark is strict no-no. I've heard Srivi-Tirumangalam is undergoing road widening recently.

The best way to do Trivandrum-Bangalore is to start at Trivandrum early morning 4-5am, so that you cross Nagercoil before civilization wakes up. Once you cross Kavalkinaru, its piece of cake, just step on the gas and cruise home!
Agreed. But he had asked for an alternative route to enjoy on the way back. Hence suggested the Thenmala option.
Else NH7 is the standard answer.
Old 24th September 2012, 09:45   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Do include a visit to Padmanabhaswamy Temple in Trivandrum.
I would also suggest visits to Suchindram Temple and Padmanabhapuram palace (these 2 places can be visited on your way to Trivandrum from Kanyakumari via Nagercoil).
I'd visited these 2 places from Kanyakumari as a day trip starting in the afternoon and returning late evening - more details in my travelogue link that I mentioned in the earlier post.
Thanks NPV, after going through your travalogue have included Padmanabhapuram palace. Other than padmanabhaswamy temple and kovalam beach, what are the other must see places in Trivandrum. Wanted to include poovar, but dropped it after seeing the reviews in mouthshut.

Quote:
Agreed. But he had asked for an alternative route to enjoy on the way back. Hence suggested the Thenmala option.
Else NH7 is the standard answer.
Yes Ampere, thats right. wanted to try a different route as long as the road is ok.

Quote:

Thanks narayan. For what stretch (in kms) is the road widening going on. Is the road overall drivable. Wanted to try a different route. But if it is going to stress the tyres, I would rather avoid this.

Quote:
NH7 is always the fastest. May be for a change you also an alternate route to Madurai via Thenmala to enjoy the ghats.
You can come to Madurai via Rajaplayam, Sriviliputtur. Get back on NH7 again from Madurai.

TVM-Rajapalayam:

Pramod knows better as he took this route once.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2554991
If I can do this route, can cover Sriviliputtur too. I dont expect this to be the same as NH7. But is the road overall drivable (pothole free?). I am fine with the traffic, will get to see the village side.
Old 25th September 2012, 23:47   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks narayan. For what stretch (in kms) is the road widening going on. Is the road overall drivable. Wanted to try a different route. But if it is going to stress the tyres, I would rather avoid this.

If I can do this route, can cover Sriviliputtur too. I dont expect this to be the same as NH7. But is the road overall drivable (pothole free?). I am fine with the traffic, will get to see the village side.

I drove from Bangalore to Tenkasi last June'12. From Thirumangalam to Tenkasi, the 2L roads are in good condition - no potholes, though winding all throughtout.

Yes, they were doing road widening in most places between Tenkasi & Rajapalayam, but that is absolutely nothing to worry about. All you got to be is careful in many blind turns, especially after sunset.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 09:41   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I drove from Bangalore to Tenkasi last June'12. From Thirumangalam to Tenkasi, the 2L roads are in good condition - no potholes, though winding all throughtout.

Yes, they were doing road widening in most places between Tenkasi & Rajapalayam, but that is absolutely nothing to worry about. All you got to be is careful in many blind turns, especially after sunset.

-Ravi
Thanks Ravi. We will drive only during the day. Your update gives me hope.
Old 26th September 2012, 09:44   #177
BHPian

1. Where can I find the temple open/close timings - for temples in KK, Rameswaram, Madurai, Suchindram, Padmanabhaswamy temple, Nagercoil

2. How are the TTDC hotels in Kanyakumari, Rameswaram, Madurai. Reviews please

Last edited by daisyb : 26th September 2012 at 09:44. Reason: corrected the grammer
Old 26th September 2012, 11:01   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Where can I find the temple open/close timings - for temples in KK, Rameswaram, Madurai, Suchindram, Padmanabhaswamy temple, Nagercoil
Kanyakumari:Morning:04:30 AM to 12:00 Noon & 4:00 PM to 08:15 PM

Rameswaram: Open from 5am to 1pm and from 3pm to 9pm

Madurai:5.00 am to 12.30 p.m. & 4.00 pm to 9.30 pm

Suchindram:4:30 AM to 11:45 AM, and 5:30 to 8:45 PM.

Padmanabhaswamy Temple:http://sreepadmanabhaswamytemple.org/darshan-timing.htm

Nagercoil:8am to 1pm and from 4pm to 8pm
ranjitp1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 11:13   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wanted to include poovar, but dropped it after seeing the reviews in mouthshut.
Was there in Poovar this May, I liked it.

Quote:
For what stretch (in kms) is the road widening going on. Is the road overall drivable. Wanted to try a different route. But if it is going to stress the tyres, I would rather avoid this.
Road is typical 2-lane. I had done Tenkasi-Srivilliputtur, had no complaints on road condition except for inside the town (which is ok), traffic was the only problem. Esp driving under lights with misc traffic between 6-9pm was a pretty irritating experience. So if you drive, drive in day and don't border early evening hours in Tenkasi-Tirumangalam. Trivandrum-Tenkasi was pretty peaceful in relative sense.

Quote:

2. How are the TTDC hotels in Kanyakumari, Rameswaram, Madurai. Reviews please
I vaguely remember Padmanabhaswamy opens at 330pm in the afternoon. Madurai Meenakshi closes 1-4pm, Rameswaram and Suchindram should be similar. Padmanabhaswamy temple insists on dress code, not sure about women, but for men carry a dhoti.

TTDC in Kanyakumari has the best view for sunrise. Wouldn't recommend TTDC in any other place. In Madurai, try Hotel Metropole (recommended by NPV) which is north of Madurai, but this would be easier if you come via Trichy or via Dindigul-Natham since you are driving in from Bangalore!
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 11:58   #180
BHPian

Thanks a lot Ranjit for the temple timings. Will help a lot in planning.

Quote:
Was there in Poovar this May, I liked it.
I am looking for getting in to water kind of experience. The review @ this thread helped me decide dropping it . http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Poov...iew-pnormupqnn

Quote:
I vaguely remember Padmanabhaswamy opens at 330pm in the afternoon. Madurai Meenakshi closes 1-4pm, Rameswaram and Suchindram should be similar. Padmanabhaswamy temple insists on dress code, not sure about women, but for men carry a dhoti.
Thanks a lot for the info regaring dhoti. Totally unprepared till now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks