Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2013, 22:09   #271
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You go to attend a wedding and come back have lunch on the way ?

Jokes apart, I think its time people start trying Old SH between Dharmapur-Hosur and modify that to drive all the way to Attibele.
Dharmapuri-Palacode-Rayakottai-Kelamangalam-Hosur bypass (TVS Factory)-Attibele.
OT - Wedding muhurtham was over by 9am and we had breakfast there. We decided not to wait till 12 pm for lunch and instead started our return at 10.30 am, hence lunch on the way back.

On our lunch stop - A2B at Thoppur was overflowing with cars being parked outside the campus as well so our decision to stop at Raja Bhojanam (@ranjitp1's recommendation) was very good.
This is about 1/2Km after A2B (towards Bangalore direction) and part of an Indian Oil petrol bunk campus. There were just a couple of cars parked here. The place was very neat, ambience good and food tasty and in a totally uncrowded environment. And very neat restrooms so this is a way better option than A2B at Thoppur, hope the refugees continue to visit A2B

@amp - For such an early morning drive I would still not prefer the SH roads and instead use 4 lane where available.

Last edited by NPV : 15th September 2013 at 22:11.
Old 15th September 2013, 22:47   #272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@amp - For such an early morning drive I would still not prefer the SH roads and instead use 4 lane where available.

No I meant for the return drive. I think that may be quite useful.
Old 27th September 2013, 21:24   #273
Senior - BHPian

Live update: Inching traffic just ahead of Attibele toll gate. And it is raining too.
Old 27th September 2013, 21:54   #274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Live update: Inching traffic just ahead of Attibele toll gate. And it is raining too.
Real bad. Looks like even for night runs esp, the weekend ones, we should start looking at the NH207 option quite seriously.
Old 4th October 2013, 10:30   #275
BHPian

Hi,
I am planning to do Bangalore to Madurai run tomorrow. Just wanted to know the road condition post Krishnagiri where there is a fork towards Salem / Chennai. I know the 6 laning work is in progress but how is it going after Krishnagiri ? Are there lots of bad patched roads and diversions. On my last trip to Chennai I was happier driving after turning off near Krishnagiri where there was a lot of progress in 6 laning and it was actually done in many places. Just curious to know how is it towards Salem / Madurai ?
Old 4th October 2013, 10:33   #276
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Hi,
I am planning to do Bangalore to Madurai run tomorrow. Just wanted to know the road condition post Krishnagiri where there is a fork towards Salem / Chennai. I know the 6 laning work is in progress but how is it going after Krishnagiri ?
6-lane work is only on Chennai side (NH46) and not on Salem side after the fork. After Krishnagiri Chennai fork, the roads are amazing all the way till Madurai. End to end 4-lane.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 15:10   #277
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After Krishnagiri Chennai fork, the roads are amazing all the way till Madurai. End to end 4-lane.
The 4 lane continues even beyond Madurai all the way till about 2 or 3 Km short of Kanyakumari town, awesome road all the way!
Drive on the Madurai-Kanyakumari stretch is bliss, nearing Kanyakumari there are windmills all over and a beautiful sight.

Last edited by NPV : 5th October 2013 at 15:12.
Old 5th October 2013, 23:05   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The 4 lane continues even beyond Madurai all the way till about 2 or 3 Km short of Kanyakumari town, awesome road all the way!
Drive on the Madurai-Kanyakumari stretch is bliss, nearing Kanyakumari there are windmills all over and a beautiful sight.
I second that. We took a parallel loop to Tuticorin a few months back and the roads were stellar, save for the brief Madurai bypass stretch
Old 6th October 2013, 07:48   #279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
I second that. We took a parallel loop to Tuticorin a few months back and the roads were stellar, save for the brief Madurai bypass stretch
Yes thats the NH45B. It was also 4-laned quite some time back. Bypassing Madurai seems to be a quite a pain for any route sans NH7. Since NHAI completed the bypass needs for NH7, they are no more involved. Its now up to City Limits or State Govt. to take that up and create a good bypass esp for the north east quadrant of the city.
Old 21st October 2013, 09:05   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Yes thats the NH45B. It was also 4-laned quite some time back. Bypassing Madurai seems to be a quite a pain for any route sans NH7. Since NHAI completed the bypass needs for NH7, they are no more involved. Its now up to City Limits or State Govt. to take that up and create a good bypass esp for the north east quadrant of the city.
Madurai bypass is tolled by corporation. Last month end I passed through Madurai to tuticorin. The road appeared newly laid / repaired and its quite good considering the standards of other corporation roads. Only burner is toll around 55 Rs I guess for a road of that standard. Also frequent stoppages in toll booths (some are under construction) to show slip. There are different exits & Arupukottai exit is what to choose if you intend to go southwards.
ravigop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 09:30   #281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravigop View Post
Madurai bypass is tolled by corporation.
Do you mean the ring road, which goes around the airport? As long as the roads are good its good. And yes one has to take the Aruppukottai exit.
What is the construction which is on going ? Is it again on the ring road?

Last edited by ampere : 21st October 2013 at 09:32.
Old 21st October 2013, 10:16   #282
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that the Madurai bypass from the Melur side to Thirumangalam has been newly tarred.When I had traveled last time about 6months back was really taken aback by the toll charges and the quality of the bypass.It is the same road that around Madurai airport.

Last edited by gajadonga : 21st October 2013 at 10:17.
Old 21st October 2013, 10:28   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Do you mean the ring road, which goes around the airport?
What is the construction which is on going ? Is it again on the ring road?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
It is the same road that around Madurai airport.
Yes Ring road, the one around Airport. Yes newly tarred. The construction is relating to toll booth ofcourse not on par with NH standards but better than current desk ones.
Old 21st October 2013, 11:31   #284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravigop View Post
Yes Ring road, the one around Airport. Yes newly tarred. The construction is relating to toll booth ofcourse not on par with NH standards but better than current desk ones.
All that is needed now is a bypass on the north east side. Karur approach to Melur exit. I think why they may not be doing it because of they dont expect much traffic.

But still there are possibilities of driving to Pudukottai/Karaikudi which this bypass can greatly help.
Old 28th October 2013, 10:39   #285
BHPian

Hi all,

I'm planning to drive solo from Bangalore to Kovilpatti mid-week on a 2 day trip. My initial thought is to start early morning on Wednesday and drive without breaking the journey (except suitable rest stops of course) along NH7.

I estimate that it will take about 7 - 8 hours each way assuming that I don't push pedal to the metal.

1. Any new updates on the route?
2. Any options for a snack and lunch from BLR -> CVP, assuming that I stop for breakfast at A2B in Thoppur?
3. What are the decent eateries in the other direction which don't require a detour?

Regards,
BITF

Last edited by BackInTheFold : 28th October 2013 at 10:42. Reason: Added one more question for the community

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks