Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2014, 16:57   #361
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Returned back from an uneventful trip to Nagercoil.
Did the same Bangalore-Nagercoil-Bangalore trip last week. Started from Bangalore on 26th July. The decision to go was made late morning on 26th. Hence we could start only at 11:00AM from Whitefield. Reached home in Nagercoil at 9:15pm. Average speed as per MID was 68kmph.

During the return, I started at 6:00 AM, and reached Whitefield at 3:30PM. Average speed was 78kmph. But more stops in between. Breakfast was at Sree Saravana Bhavan near Kovilpatti and lunch at Adyar Ananda Bhavan.

Overall, like yours, it was an UN-eventful trip. Previously, i have seen accidents and wrecked cars, but not this time.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 17:25   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
The bypass to the Sarjapur town was blocked 3 months back when I returned from Kerala. I am planning another trip on Aug 14th. Should I avoid the Sarjapur - Bagalur route?
I saw that the byepass was blocked in my onward journey.

I had taken the byepass only once and decided never to take that route.

For me, I have been taking this route only during early mornings(before 07:00 AM) towards Bagalur and late nights(after 10PM) towards Bangalore.
Hence, there was never a requirement to use the byepass route.

Here is the route I take :
http://goo.gl/maps/7T1W9

While going towards Bagalur, after crossing the Sarjapur Bus Stand on the left, will hit a T junction, where I take a right and the first left after that. That road is a bit narrow with houses and shops on both the sides. This road joins at the byepass entry while coming on the other side.
Since I pass at odd hours, have never encountered any issues.
An alternative option would be take the bagalur-chikka-tirupathi-hopeform route. The chikkatirupathi turn is just before Sarjapur. Refer to the NH207 route in the same map.
Hope it helps

Aneezan,
So we were at the same place almost at the same time. Glad to know that your journey was also uneventful.
True regarding the accidents. In my previous trips used to see atleast a couple of accidents, one minimum in the Thoppur ghats. THis time it was NIL.
Believe I took more time than you.

Last edited by hamster : 6th August 2014 at 17:29. Reason: Added another response.
hamster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 17:51   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning another trip on Aug 14th. Should I avoid the Sarjapur - Bagalur route?
Quote:
While going towards Bagalur, after crossing the Sarjapur Bus Stand on the left, will hit a T junction, where I take a right and the first left after that. That road is a bit narrow with houses and shops on both the sides. This road joins at the byepass entry while coming on the other side.
What hamster is mentioning is this road I guess. This as mentioned by Hamster has a narrow stretch, it becomes a bit tricky if any bigger vehicles comes. I faced the issue when travelling an evening last month.

The proper route to cross Sarjapur (this route) was closed last month, from the look of it I don't think it will be ready by now.

Also, apart from this there was road work between Bagalur - Hosur, I guess this is what Aneezan mentioned. This is regular road work, nothing which requires dropping this route altogether.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 18:34   #364
Team-BHP Support

Guys, if you are starting from Whitefield, ITPL, Varthur, then take 207 right from there itself. Dont go via Sarjapur.

Dont take the Varthur road to Sarjapur either.

This is what I mean: Route Link

This goes past Sarjapur town. End to end 207.

Last edited by ampere : 6th August 2014 at 18:35.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 22:23   #365
Senior - BHPian

I always use NH 207 to bypass Banglore.
There is a small single road of 4kms occasionally pot holes manageable from ChikkaTirupathi
to the road from Malur -Hosur road than taking the NH 207 completely upto Hosur via Sarjapur.
This cuts short the travel time.
I usually take this road lorry traffic is troublesome as you have to get down the road to
give way to oncoming traffic.

Last edited by gajadonga : 6th August 2014 at 22:29.
Old 7th August 2014, 09:10   #366
BHPian

I haven't taken that route. I usually take a right and take the Sarjapur-Atibele Road. The frustrating part comes when I have to dish out money at the toll.
I will try the above route suggested by ampere. However, what is worrying me is the stretch till 207 ie. the Sarjapur/Bagalur road.
Old 7th August 2014, 09:35   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Guys, if you are starting from Whitefield, ITPL, Varthur, then take 207 right from there itself. Dont go via Sarjapur.
I have taken this route once while returning but this is almost 15 KMs longer than the other route. Also, I would not take this route early in the morning as there are some isolated stretches. The route is very scenic though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
What hamster is mentioning is this road I guess. This as mentioned by Hamster has a narrow stretch, it becomes a bit tricky if any bigger vehicles comes. I faced the issue when travelling an evening last month.

The proper route to cross Sarjapur (this route) was closed last month, from the look of it I don't think it will be ready by now.

Also, apart from this there was road work between Bagalur - Hosur, I guess this is what Aneezan mentioned. This is regular road work, nothing which requires dropping this route altogether.
Quote:
I saw that the byepass was blocked in my onward journey.

I had taken the byepass only once and decided never to take that route.
I usually go inside the town and do not take the bypass as there is no traffic early in the morning. Also, the narrow stretch is very small around 300 mts.
Old 7th August 2014, 13:00   #368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have taken this route once while returning but this is almost 15 KMs longer than the other route. Also, I would not take this route early in the morning as there are some isolated stretches. The route is very scenic though.
+1. Even I will always prefer taking the standard route and starting early. It always works better this way. The alternative is to be used only when:

- When starting later in day
- When one is bypassing Bangalore
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 13:08   #369
BHPian

Quote:
+1. Even I will always prefer taking the standard route and starting early. It always works better this way. The alternative is to be used only when:

I too agree. I usually start very early in the day, either 4:00 or 5:00AM. The standard route works better.

I remember I took the interior route very early sometime in December, when it was cold and very foggy. I couldn't see a much in-front of me. It scared me to bits.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 16:54   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How about this route via sarjapur, Berikai to Shoolagiri

http://goo.gl/maps/ykghd
Old 7th August 2014, 17:08   #371
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
How about this route via sarjapur, Berikai to Shoolagiri
Typically I wont advice too much of interior roads, when with family. They are good for exploring when alone or with friends.
@gajadonga has tried this route. Some sections from Berikai to Shoolagiri are broken. Else its just about average. In fact I think he tried Berikai-Malur instead of Bagalur.

Last edited by ampere : 7th August 2014 at 17:14.
Old 7th August 2014, 17:31   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

^ I dont think Berigai route will help in saving much time since-
1. There are no much deviations after Hosur due to road widening, infact in most part it is 6 lane till Krishnagiri.
2. Even if you take Berigai route you will have to join NH7 before Krishnagiri toll (which takes some time to clear during peak time).
Old 8th August 2014, 19:12   #373
Senior - BHPian

Normally for the Bangalore to Tvm runs, I use to start between 3-5 AM from Bangalore.
But on all the occasions, had to struggle through the Nagercoil traffic in the evening.

To try and avoid that, am planning to do a 1 PM start from Bangalore this time, after lunch.
This would mean, I can reach Muppandal by 11 PM, so the traffic would be less and can reach Trivandrum by around 1.30 AM.

Is this timing better to negotiate off the Nagercoil traffic?

Last edited by sarathlal : 8th August 2014 at 19:13.
Old 8th August 2014, 23:39   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Is this timing better to negotiate off the Nagercoil traffic?
After 10:00 PM, it would be a easy pass through nagercoil. And even reaching Trivandrum won't take much time.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 13:50   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
After 10:00 PM, it would be a easy pass through nagercoil. And even reaching Trivandrum won't take much time.
Thanks. Was bit hesitant on taking this timing, as am unaware of the driving conditions during night time over the Madurai - Tvm stretch with a little boy on board .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks