Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2013, 17:32   #316
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries

Any things in particular to watch out for blr-kanyakumari drive on Saturday morning?
Plan to start at ~ 6AM.
Any breakfast options if I skip the regular HP(McD)/BP(A2B) stops near Krishnagiri?
Any suggestions for a good veg lunch with decent restrooms?

thanks,
Srikanth
Old 9th December 2013, 20:13   #317
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Any things in particular to watch out for blr-kanyakumari drive on Saturday morning?
Plan to start at ~ 6AM.
Any breakfast options if I skip the regular HP(McD)/BP(A2B) stops near Krishnagiri?
Start earlier if you can, chances of heavier traffic at Hosur is high with 6am start.

Just after the Chennai turn off at Krishnagiri there is a Saravana Inn on the left (opposite to a lake on right side).
About 5-6 Km from here there is Aaryaas on the left.
Just before the next toll plaza there is A2B (inside BP campus) and Raja Bhojanam (inside IOC campus) both on right side so you need to make a U-turn.

For Lunch you can try Hari's which is near the Madurai toll on right side.
Or you can drive upto Tirunelveli and go to Capsi on the left side of the highway itself.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 22:08   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Plan to start at ~ 6AM.

thanks,
Srikanth
I suggest you leave a little earlier if possible in order to avoid the Hosur traffic buildup.

I usually have a glass of milk and fruit before I start, which helps me get breakfast at the Sree Saravana Bhavan close to Salem. IMO, this is the best breakfast joint on that route.
BackInTheFold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 09:26   #319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Plan to start at ~ 6AM.
Drive at 4 AM in the morning and dont stop till Salem which you can make it to by 7. Have break there. You would have easily crossed the traffic prone areas by then. If you wan to break before, you have as NPV mentioned A2B/Raja Bhojanam etc around Thoppur/Dharmapuri. But 4AM is a real need.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 11:07   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Drive at 4 AM in the morning and dont stop till Salem which you can make it to by 7. Have break there. You would have easily crossed the traffic prone areas by then. If you wan to break before, you have as NPV mentioned A2B/Raja Bhojanam etc around Thoppur/Dharmapuri. But 4AM is a real need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Start earlier if you can, chances of heavier traffic at Hosur is high with 6am start.
How's the traffic at Hosur after 4pm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Had a great time and now back to Bangalore
"
I'm doing a trip Hyderabad - Kerala on my Duke390 later this week. I will be doing the same stretch as you did from Bangalore - Tirunelveli.

I wanted to know apart from what you have already mentioned if there are any concerning points with regards to the road conidition. Are there any out of the blue pot holes? Diversions? Is it double lanes all the way? Traffic conditions in general and if the weather was cold apart from the sunburns?
Old 10th December 2013, 11:25   #321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
It depends on the week also. Long weekend Friday evenings can be full. Sat even you should mostly find low as the traffic would have left by morning.

Last edited by ampere : 10th December 2013 at 11:27.
Old 10th December 2013, 11:46   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you are new to the route it would be best to cross Hosur- Krishnagiri before dark. Weekend evenings tends to be frustrating due to longer queues at toll booths thanks to high private car traffic. Also do note that most of the private bus operators starts around 8.00 PM from Silkboard. Starting along with them will test your patience .
Old 10th December 2013, 13:46   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It depends on the week also. Long weekend Friday evenings can be full. Sat even you should mostly find low as the traffic would have left by morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
If you are new to the route it would be best to cross Hosur- Krishnagiri before dark. Weekend evenings tends to be frustrating due to longer queues at toll booths thanks to high private car traffic. Also do note that most of the private bus operators starts around 8.00 PM from Silkboard. Starting along with them will test your patience .
I would be entering Bangalore around 2pm and plan to stop over at Salem around 6:30 max. So i guess I would be crossing the silkboard-Housur stretch at around 3pm. And I would be on a bike, do i need to queue up, can I not take the side pass? Also, I just read about the ridiculous 50kmph restriction on this stretch, any inputs on this?
Old 10th December 2013, 14:31   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would be entering Bangalore around 2pm and plan to stop over at Salem around 6:30 max. So i guess I would be crossing the silkboard-Housur stretch at around 3pm. And I would be on a bike, do i need to queue up, can I not take the side pass? Also, I just read about the ridiculous 50kmph restriction on this stretch, any inputs on this?
Ok, was not knowing you were doing the trip on bike. Yes, bikers are exempted from the toll. This will help you in saving time. However do note that Hosur- Krishnagiri route has few deviations and broken stretches. Please do take care of the same.
Bangalore city has a speed limit of 50KMPH for bikes.
Old 17th December 2013, 16:29   #325
BHPian

Planning to do this tomorrow. Targeting a 5:00 am start. Looking to reach Nagercoil at around 3:00 pm, with the regular stops in between. The last time I did this trip was in June, so I am hoping that the road widening has made good progress.
Old 23rd December 2013, 10:51   #326
BHPian

Planning ITPL - Madurai - Tirunelveli - Trichy - Vedaranyam - Velankanni - Vaitheeswaran Koil - ITPL this week. Route map below. Any specific updates on these routes ? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries-route.jpg  

Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 14:39   #327

Folks:

I am planning to drive from BLR to TVM tomorrow afternoon. Intend to stop at Madurai for the night and then continue.
Any suggestions on good hotels nearby NH-7 ? Last time, I stayed at Heritage, which was about 5-6 kms from highway, and was decent. Any other hotels in the vicinity ?
Also, Madurai - Trivandrum route - Last time I took the Tenkasi route, and found it a bit long, and curvy compared to the one via Nagercoil. Is it better to drive till MC Road and go to TVM via there ?
Also, If I am using Nagercoil route, is there a way I can avoid traffic along the way ? Google maps showed some alternate directions to TVM avoiding Nagercoil. Havent tried .. Pls advise if anyone tried....
Old 23rd December 2013, 20:47   #328
Senior - BHPian

There are a few speed breakers put up in the Thoppur descent section. Not exactly the gradual slope ones; so be cautious.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 21:19   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunith007 View Post
Folks:

Also, Madurai - Trivandrum route - Last time I took the Tenkasi route, and found it a bit long, and curvy compared to the one via Nagercoil. Is it better to drive till MC Road and go to TVM via there ?
Also, If I am using Nagercoil route, is there a way I can avoid traffic along the way ? Google maps showed some alternate directions to TVM avoiding Nagercoil. Havent tried .. Pls advise if anyone tried....
Nagercoil - Trivandrum nh 47 is broken till Marthandam. Avoid it. Took 4 hrs from kavalkinar to kesavadasapuram today for me.
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:09   #330
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

Am planning for a week long trip with family to TN & Kerala this month end. Highly influenced by @NPV's Kanyakumari trip travelogue & @laluks Kumarakom travelogue

These are the places am planning to cover.

Bangalore-Madurai-Suchindram-Kanyakumari-Trivandrum-Alleppy/Kumarakom-Guruvayoor-Coimbatore-Bangalore.

And this is my initial plan.

Day 01 : Bangalore-Madurai ( Visit Meenakashi amman temple )
Day 02 : Azhagarkoil, Pazhamudhircholai, Thiruparankundram & Meet friends
Day 03 : Madurai-Suchindram-Kanyakumari Halt (Sunset and boating if possible)
Day 04 : Kanyakumari-Trivandrum Halt (visit Padmanabhapuram palace, Thottipalam)
Day 05 : Padmanabhaswamy temple, Visit either Kovalam or poovar, Meet friends.
Day 06 : Trivandrum-Alleppy Halt ( Hire a boat house for a day)
Day 07 : Alleppy-Guruvayoor Temple (Darshan)-Coimbatore Halt
Day 08 : Marudhamalai-Bangalore

I am quite comfortable on TN side. Need elite bhpian's help mostly on Kerala side..

1) Please suggest any important places that could be covered in Day 04, 05 and 07. Any must see place in Cochin enroute?
2) Road conditions from Trivandrum till Coimbatore enroute Alleppy/Cochin/Guruvayoor/Thrissur/Palakkad.
Any alternate routes available? The "All Roads to Kerala" thread is too vast and i've not heard of most of the places discussed there ! Hence the query.
3) Availability of of vegetarian/tamilian style food (Sorry no offence, just a food preference as we are traveling with family). Any alternate choices, where vegetarian food is not available?
4) Alleppy/Kumarakom - I get mixed information. Not sure which one to go. I understand i can't see both the places. Any suggestions there?

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...mra=ls&t=m&z=7

Thanks for help in Advance !
-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 3rd February 2014 at 11:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks