Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2013, 18:51   #301
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
Thanks Ampere. But the thing is he has only 3 nights for this trip. The 4th night he has to be back in Bangalore. Any suggestions based on this?
Then I wont advice all the three places. Because it would be too taxing for a baby.

- D1 Drive to KK. Reach by evening.
- D2 Visit temple and drive to Rameshwaram to reach by late noon. Stay over night.
- D3 Visit temple Drive by noon to reach Madurai be evening.
- D4 Visit Madurai in the morning and drive back to Bangalore by noon.

You can see how hectic it is. Hence I would suggest skip one of them and take it more easily.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 18:52   #302
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But the thing is he has only 3 nights for this trip. The 4th night he has to be back in Bangalore. Any suggestions based on this?
It's too much to do in 3 nights. Better to drop either Rameshwaram or Kanyakumari. Also keep in mind that return journey from Rameshwaram/Kanyakumari all the way to Bangalore will be almost a 10 hour drive and with an infant it may become all the more difficult.

Other hotels your friend can consider are:
Rameshwaram - Queen Palace
Kanyakumari - Vivekananda Kendra
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 19:04   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Then I wont advice all the three places. Because it would be too taxing for a baby.

- D1 Drive to KK. Reach by evening.
- D2 Visit temple and drive to Rameshwaram to reach by late noon. Stay over night.
- D3 Visit temple Drive by noon to reach Madurai be evening.
- D4 Visit Madurai in the morning and drive back to Bangalore by noon.

You can see how hectic it is. Hence I would suggest skip one of them and take it more easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
It's too much to do in 3 nights. Better to drop either Rameshwaram or Kanyakumari. Also keep in mind that return journey from Rameshwaram/Kanyakumari all the way to Bangalore will be almost a 10 hour drive and with an infant it may become all the more difficult.

Other hotels your friend can consider are:
Rameshwaram - Queen Palace
Kanyakumari - Vivekananda Kendra

Thanks for the quick replies Ampere and NPV. I suggested him the following 2 schedules:

Bangalore- Madurai (Day 1)
Madurai - Kanyakumari (Day 2)
Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram (Day 3)
Rameshwaram – Bangalore (Day 4).

Bangalore – Rameshwaram (Day 1)
Rameshwaram - Kanyakumari (Day 2)
Kanyakumari – Madurai (Day 3)
Madurai – Bangalore (Day 4)

I know the schedules that i have mentioned are also very tight and i will advice him to drop one of the places. But given an option to you guys, which schedule would you choose.

Last edited by Torque123 : 21st November 2013 at 19:18.
Old 21st November 2013, 19:16   #304
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know the schedules that i have mentioned are also very tight and i will advice him to drop one of the places. But given an option to you guys, which schedule would you choose.
Difficult to choose if the person hasn't visited both Kanyakumari and Rameshwaram.
Rameshwaram - temples and the other theerthams to visit, having gone that far one shouldn't miss Dhanushkodi.

Kanyakumari - sunrise, sunset, Vivekananda Rock, Tiruvalluvar statue, Gandhi Mandapam, Devi Temple, Government Museum, etc.

Distance wise Rameshwaram is slightly less (~50 Km or so) compared to Kanyakumari, but you have the superb 4 laned NH7 all the way for Kanyakumari.
My choice maybe Kanyakumari since it's NH7 all the way so i'd be able to go to one end of the GQ.

Last edited by NPV : 21st November 2013 at 19:17.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 21:01   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. But given an option to you guys, which schedule would you choose.
It is a tough call to pick one. In my view for driving pleasure Kanyakumari, for scenic location Rameswaram.
Old 21st November 2013, 21:45   #306
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

That is simple. Drop Rameshwaram. Driving to Kanyakumari and back would much easier and less stressful. Thanks to four lane road end to end.
Old 21st November 2013, 22:19   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies Ampere and NPV. I suggested him the following 2 schedules:

Bangalore- Madurai (Day 1)
Madurai - Kanyakumari (Day 2)
Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram (Day 3)
Rameshwaram – Bangalore (Day 4).

Bangalore – Rameshwaram (Day 1)
Rameshwaram - Kanyakumari (Day 2)
Kanyakumari – Madurai (Day 3)
Madurai – Bangalore (Day 4)

Pick Kanyakumari. The roads are pristine and the trip is likely to be less stressful with a baby in tow.

Another nice hotel that I'd recommend is called The Nook in Madurai. Great value for money, I'm repeatedly told
Old 22nd November 2013, 15:55   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But given an option to you guys, which schedule would you choose.
Having visited both R'waram and KK in September, I would any day pick Rameswaram, if I need to choose one of the two. Let me know if you need more insight into underlying reasons.

Last edited by cool_dube : 22nd November 2013 at 15:59.
Old 25th November 2013, 11:45   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
When coming from Nagercoil, Hari's is just before the toll booth before Madurai. I don't think you can miss it - they have signboards announcing it even 9 kms before the restaurant!
Thanks naveenroy ! I had food at Hari's restaurant last weekend and it was pretty good.

They mentioned, the hotel was opened around 6 months back.

IMO, The location of this restaurant is perfect in this region as there not much decent family restaurant available right on the NH7 unless someone goes inside madurai city.

Good food, Completely separate veg & non-veg restaurants, Clean rest rooms, Nice kids play area and sufficient parking space - Pretty Neat !

Those who are traveling down south towards kanyakumari can also easily reach after crossing the Thirumangalam toll by just taking right turn just in front of the restaurant. No need to go far to take a U turn. Would recommend this restaurant definitely.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 25th November 2013 at 11:47.
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 13:52   #310
BHPian

Good to know. Going to Ngl tomorrow AM.. Will keep you guys posted on the progress. I aim to hit Dindigul for lunch @ Velu's .. can't beat that Briyani !
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:26   #311
BHPian

Had a great time and now back to Bangalore

26/11 - started from Bangalore at 7:30AM. Tried the Sarjapur road to Attibele route since Hosur road traffic would start. But had no luck as after Caremelaram overbridge construction, there was a traffic jam on the narrow stretch.

8:45AM - reached Hosur - pretty tired and irritated by this point. Ate at Saravana Bhavan. The place is not good like before. I'll need to find a better breakfast place next time if we have to stop in Hosur. Left Hosur at 9:15 AM

1:15PM - reached Dindigul. Took the diversion into Dindigul town to eat @ Velu's military hotel. Unfortunately, Velu's closes on Tuesdays! :( Feeling very sad, asked a nearby shopkeeper. He directed us to Ponram hotel. Almost as delicious like Velu's. Had mutton briyani and mutton sukka.

2:30PM - left Dindigul and reached outskirts of Tirunelveli by 5PM. Reached Nagercoil @ 6PM.

Total drive time about 9 hours plus four breaks (one break fast, one lunch and two tea breaks)

Return trip

5:45AM - started from home in Nagercoil. Reached the highway shortly thereafter and found a nice Volvo XC60 hanging out. Superb driver with excellent road manners and so followed him till Madurai

8:30AM - reached Thriumangalam toll booth and went to Hari's restaurant for breakfast. Good breakfast and clean surroundings. Thanks, team-bhpians for the tip. Left there at 9:15AM

11:30AM - reached Salem. Was able to keep a good triple digit speed all through and not many vehicles on the road. Only problem was that being Sunday, there were people sauntering about the road (walking slowly on the NH, brilliant!) with a death-wish. Had a few places where the brakes were tested to the full extent

1:45 PM - reached Bangalore home in Sarjapur road through Hosur Road. Took the elevated toll booth. Got pulled over at Jigani for not stopping at a red light. Yeah! totally fake stuff. I was behind a truck and there were two trucks and a few cars that passed after me but I got pulled over. And I am pretty careful that I don't jump red lights. Whatever.. the cop decided that I donate 100Rs to whatever cause he had in mind.

Return trip - driving time 7:15 minutes plus three breaks (one breakfast and two tea breaks). Nice to have lunch at home.

Some tips for future travellers

1. Don't bet on the Sarjapur - Attibele shortcut till the work on the Caremelaram bridge is over. It can get chaotic and if there are Einstiens driving trucks and tempos, you'll start counting sheep.

2. Hari's - a good place to eat and rest. The restrooms are particularly clean. Thank you, team-bhpians!

3. Saravana Bhavan - not good anymore. It used to be my favorite place to eat but there is another "bhavan" that's opened a bit ahead of this. Give that a try.

4. Take some window shades - driving North to South and back, the sun is either in your side or the other side and never at your back or in front. So, you'll get sun-burnt, dehydrated etc. Get those sticking shades for the rear windows and even for the driver's window that you can carefully place so that you have good visibility of your side view mirror. On the drive down, I was getting sun-burnt till Dindigul and then I placed one shade on my side and the drive was much more pleasant

5. Buses entering the highway at high speeds - please take care, keep your eyes open and be defensive. They just burst onto the highway with zero control. I almost got whacked by one.. gave him a piece of my mind and made him slow down to a crawl and then got next to him and warned the cleaner and driver. (May not work if you're not from TN)

6. Visiting Kanyakumari - please don't. With the Sabarimala pilgrimage in full swing, the beach is absolutely destroyed with buses parked all over, people dirtying the beach road and basically abusing the place. If at all you go, do try Sparsa's for food. They have a good variety and the food is ok (not great, but ok).

About the car:

The Vento TDi did very very well. I am mighty pleased with its road manners and its stability. Within "comfortable triple digit" speeds, you'll not even worry about the car doing its thing. If you get to the higher numbers, you'll need to watch for two things 1. Brakes - the ABS kicks in but the overall bite is not that hard which maybe a good thing considering if you brake too suddenly, you'll end up in a very different situation AND 2. the car lifting off a bit when faced with a small ramp like on the top of bridges. Be smart and don't over correct and let the car do its thing. It maintains its composure in very unsettling situations (like trying to avoid a biker chatting with his friend on the fast lane on the highway or a woman trying to pick something from the highway road that's exactly in a blind corner. True story!) The car puts a smile with its mileage (I'll calculate it later) of about 20kmpl. And that's good enough for me. Anyways, thought I'd share this.

Overall, its an absolutely enjoyable drive and if you have the right company, you'll also not feel tired at all. My three year old kept up with us and made it a lot of fun. The wife isn't a good traveler but she too didn't mind the trip as she was comfortably in the back seat of the car. Only one time she looked over at me and with a slightly confused look asked "er.. where is the speedometer needle?" "it's pointing on the other side.. "
Mad Max is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 09:51   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
1:15PM - reached Dindigul. Took the diversion into Dindigul town to eat @ Velu's military hotel. Unfortunately, Velu's closes on Tuesdays! :( Feeling very sad, asked a nearby shopkeeper. He directed us to Ponram hotel. Almost as delicious like Velu's. Had mutton briyani and mutton sukka.
How far is Velu's hotel from the highway? Can you share the directions?
Old 4th December 2013, 21:02   #313
BHPian

Hi Arun,

please find the Google link

https://plus.google.com/111295415279...ut?gl=in&hl=en

Not sure, I always thought the name was Velu's. But the location is correct and so maybe I've mistaken the name.
Old 4th December 2013, 23:29   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Hi Arun,

please find the Google link

https://plus.google.com/111295415279...ut?gl=in&hl=en

Not sure, I always thought the name was Velu's. But the location is correct and so maybe I've mistaken the name.
It is known as Venu Briyani. They have a branch in Coimbatore too, if you ever happen to be there. No comments on the food since I'm the sole vegetarian in the family
Old 4th December 2013, 23:34   #315
BHPian

I heard about the Kovai one. A friend of mine had his colleague fly in 6 mutton Briyani packs into Blr.. poor guy, in a flight carrying really good smelling food. And sir I pity you for your choice of food.. J/k...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks