Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2013, 23:34   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
We're a group of 4 males going in a Duster from Hyderabad to Nagercoil next week. HYD-BLR is a well known road for us so that's easy. Any idea about the present road condition from BLR to Nagercoil?
I too drove Nagercoil-Bangalore couple of weeks back, except Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch rest all are excellent. The maduri byepass road is bit bumpy, the single lane road after kavalkinaru is average as usual. If possible, avoid crossing salem during peak hours.
Old 1st July 2013, 21:21   #227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
This weekend did a long drive to Bangalore - Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram - Bangalore, total of 1700+ kms.
Day 1: Bangalore - Kanyakumari
Day 2: Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram
Day 3: Rameshwaram - Bangalore

Road between Kanyakumari - Thoothukudi is bad. They are making road in most of the places.

Referred your post here. Cant believe ECR has gone bad. Double confirmed from the route link as well. Is the whole section bad or few places around Tuticorin alone?
Old 1st July 2013, 21:33   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Referred your post here. Cant believe ECR has gone bad. Double confirmed from the route link as well. Is the whole section bad or few places around Tuticorin alone?
I may be wrong but I remember reading a news report that the "East Coast Road" project was only upto Thottukudi and not upto Kanyakumari.
Old 1st July 2013, 21:42   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Roads are average right after Kanyakumari (after Anjugramam turn). Later it worsens around Thomas Mandapam.

http://goo.gl/maps/J8vDZ

My plan was to drive along the Sea.

Road was so bad that I had to take deviation and drive via Point B.

My highly broken Tamil did help a little. People were kind enough to talk in Hindi / English, as they were unable to decode my so-called Tamil

Another point missed to add, between Madurai-Kanyakumari had one of the amazing dosa's (had 2 big ones) ever. Currently do not have hotel details. Will post pic after reaching home.

The hotel is right after Toll Booth and not difficult to miss.

Exact location: http://goo.gl/maps/OBQ4K

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 1st July 2013 at 21:44.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 23:00   #230
BHPian

This is the hotel I was talking about..

Mods: Can you please merge with above post?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries-gopr0399.jpg  

500ContyCruiser is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 09:40   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another point missed to add, between Madurai-Kanyakumari had one of the amazing dosa's (had 2 big ones) ever. Currently do not have hotel details. Will post pic after reaching home.

The hotel is right after Toll Booth and not difficult to miss.

Exact location: http://goo.gl/maps/OBQ4K
Yes, this hotel is immediately after crossing the SalaiPudur Toll booth on the left(While going towards Kanyakumari). Another 5 Kms from here and there is Capsi Restaurant, they serve good Non- Veg food as well.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 08:51   #232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Yes, this hotel is immediately after crossing the SalaiPudur Toll booth on the left(While going towards Kanyakumari). Another 5 Kms from here and there is Capsi Restaurant, they serve good Non- Veg food as well.
Surprisingly it I could not find the location in Google. But MMI maps have it in there.

http://maps.mapmyindia.com/#map+of+C...uuAQqyMzR4ZTZl
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:56   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My plan was to drive along the Sea.

Road was so bad that I had to take deviation and drive via Point B.

My highly broken Tamil did help a little. People were kind enough to talk in Hindi / English, as they were unable to decode my so-called Tamil

Yes, when I did my Coast to Coast ride [http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...3-states.html], the villagers strongly suggested to me that I not ride along the coast as the roads were really bad. I then took ECR till Tuticorin and then rode onwards to Tirunelveli where I took the bypass and caught up with NH7.
Old 3rd July 2013, 18:29   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yes, when I did my Coast to Coast ride [http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...3-states.html], the villagers strongly suggested to me that I not ride along the coast as the roads were really bad. I then took ECR till Tuticorin and then rode onwards to Tirunelveli where I took the bypass and caught up with NH7.
For few good reasons (apart from my vehicle suspension n my body-ache), I felt nice of taking that route.

Let pics talk now...
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries-1dsc_0298.jpg  

Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries-1dsc_0400.jpg  

Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries-1dsc_0469.jpg  

500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 18:41   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For few good reasons (apart from my vehicle suspension n my body-ache), I felt nice of taking that route.

Let pics talk now...
The first pic is very nice. What church is that in the background?
Old 3rd July 2013, 18:48   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
The first pic is very nice. What church is that in the background?
Its St. James Church. There are couple of more churches at Manapad.
Old 4th July 2013, 02:12   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ECR or not. Tiruchendur-Kanyakumari has never improved since I've seen my dad drive in early 90s. Its a 1-1.5 lane wide road at best. It was almost identical when we returned in 2001. I don't see any different feedback from various people who've taken since. The photos too resemble how they were 10-20 years back. Its a route which the local buses don't take, you'll hardly find 1-2 buses doing Tiruchendur-Kanyakumari/Nagercoil this way. Most equivalent road I can quote is Adoni-Alur.

As a part of the ECR project, Madras-Pondy was newly laid. Nagapattinam-Ramnad and Ramnad-Tuticorin were relaid. Other sections existed from other NH and SH projects.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 07:43   #238
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
ECR or not. Tiruchendur-Kanyakumari has never improved since I've seen my dad drive in early 90s. Its a 1-1.5 lane wide road at best. It was almost identical when we returned in 2001.
From Kanyakumari if you're heading to Rameswaram, probably better to go via Tirunelveli-Tuticorin. The Tirunelveli-Tiruchendur-Tuticorin route was very bad in some sections so avoiding Tiruchendur and taking NH7A from Tirunelveli to Tutircorin via Pudukottai is a better option as the road is good (it definitely was last year). Once you get to Tuticorin you can take the ECR to Ramanathapuram and that stretch was super awesome when we travelled

Last edited by NPV : 5th July 2013 at 07:46.
Old 5th July 2013, 07:53   #239
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
From Kanyakumari if you're heading to Rameswaram, probably better to go via Tirunelveli-Tuticorin. The Tirunelveli-Tiruchendur-Tuticorin route was very bad in some sections so avoiding Tiruchendur and taking NH7A from Tirunelveli to Tutircorin via Pudukottai is a better option as the road is good (it definitely was last year). Once you get to Tuticorin you can take the ECR to Ramanathapuram and that stretch was super awesome when we travelled
Quite confusing! First I thought how come Pudukottai comes here ? Then when I looked at Google maps, I saw there is one more by the same name!

So folks do note its not the big Pudukottai town, but a small on NH7A.
Old 5th August 2013, 09:02   #240
BHPian

Guys, planning Bangalore - Kanyakumari this weekend, IDD long weekend. Please do help me with road conditions and any deviations to Kanyakumari, aslo planning to go Rameshwaram, any tips on Kanyakumari- Rameshwaram - Bangalore route.

Please also suggest place of stay in Kanyakumari

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks