Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2023, 11:47   #541

Bangalore to Kanyakumari

Mod note: Please use Search before opening a new thread

Hi

Has anyone done the drive from Bangalore to kanyakumari recently? Any information would be helpful as I am planning to do this with my family with a stop over at Madurai.

Regards,
Raj

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd January 2023 at 13:13.
Old 23rd January 2023, 13:15   #542
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore to Kanyakumari

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj10800 View Post
Has anyone done the drive from Bangalore to kanyakumari recently?
Pretty much clean highways all through out, with very minor diversions and constructions. In short 4 and 6 lane all the way, just watch out for 2 wheelers in Tamil Nadu, they can pop out from the middle barrier without any warnings.
Old 28th January 2023, 21:28   #543
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Kanyakumari

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj10800 View Post
Mod note: Please use Search before opening a new thread

Hi

Has anyone done the drive from Bangalore to kanyakumari recently? Any information would be helpful as I am planning to do this with my family with a stop over at Madurai.

Regards,
Raj
We did Bangalore - Madurai - Rameshwaram - kanyakumari this week. All roads are in good shape. Just follow google maps but stick to the main highways (NH44/32) even if google maps recommend a faster way. NH44 is in great shape, especially after salem, the traffic thins out
Old 8th April 2023, 16:01   #544
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries

I need help regarding thirunelveli halwa it seems these shops iruttukadai opens in the evening, so is missing out thirunelveli halwa is the only fate I have if I start in morning from kanyakumari?

I did blr-madurai-rameswaram- ecr- tuticorin-thirunelveli-kanyakumari. tomm is kanyakumari to blr. stayed in rameswaram and kanyakumari, but it seems I will be missing out the shop timings for getting the halwa :(

roads are good throughout except a few diversions here and there. Google baba made me drive through the madurai City which was pain, but everywhere else especially the ecr is wonderful. the ecr has an isolated charm of its own. would be a fun motorcycle ride there !!

as usual aspire remains a fuss free solid vehicle, and it seems people in tn and Kerala have a taste of fords. saw many aspires and a few eco sports down here good taste I say

Last edited by masterChief007 : 8th April 2023 at 16:05.
Old 8th April 2023, 18:16   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterChief007 View Post
I need help regarding thirunelveli halwa it seems these shops iruttukadai opens in the evening, so is missing out thirunelveli halwa is the only fate I have if I start in morning from kanyakumari?
Iruttu Kadai , which is diagonally opposite to amazing Nellaiappar Temple opens usually around 5 pm and there will be huge crowd for first couple of hours and then if stocks exist, you can get it easily.

That said, if you are not in Tirunelveli in the evening, alternatively you can still buy "Shanti sweets" halwa which is also good, but not "as popular" or famous as Iruttukadai halwa. There is no time restrictions for Shanti sweets halwa, so you can still get "Tirunelveli halwa" , but not "Tirunelveli Iruttu Kadai halwa".

-Ravi
Old 8th April 2023, 19:26   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterChief007 View Post
I need help regarding thirunelveli halwa it seems these shops iruttukadai opens in the evening
If you want to buy iruttu kadai halwa, you have to be in line about 445 pm. It is best suited for eating it hot.

If you want to take it home, buy from Santhi Sweets. The shop has shifted from its original place on the bus stand side to the opposite. I usually stay/ go for lunch at Janakiram and walk and get it. Janakiram serves a very good ilai sapadu worth trying.

There is another type of halwa called muscoth halwa from the same district. One place I get recommended is Thangaiah Sweets in Tisayanvilai.

Staying on topic with halwa, you may also try the halwa from Prema Vilas opposite Madurai junction, which should not be mixed with the halwa from Tirunelveli district, but has its own taste.

Yet another place worth visiting is Ganesh Bakery in Tuticorin.

Bonus place: Krishna Pannai Paal on NH7 between Sattur and Kovilpatti which sells an assortment of foodie goodies from around the area.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 12:05   #547
BHPian

Hello,

Will be travelling from Bangalore to Trivandrum via salem> dindigul> Madurai..

Please could you advise good restaurants near Salem or between Salem and Namakkal?

Good for reference in my experience is Sree saravana Bhavan at sankari. after Salem on way to coimbatore. So similarly any recommendations for a good place at Salem or between Salem and Namakkal

Thank you
Old 4th December 2023, 21:09   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
Hello,
Please could you advise good restaurants near Salem or between Salem and Namakkal?
Thank you
@ Salem
1. Salem Cafe
2. Sri Saravana Bhavan's Aasai Dosai

After Salem
3. Adyar Ananda Bhavan
Landkruzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 21:10   #549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
A2B, this between Salem and Namakkal,

https://maps.app.goo.gl/5rvT4TFq6EmnbcJ79
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 13:17   #550
BHPian

Hi
I am planning to travel to Trivandrum from Bangalore via Salem, Dindigul, Madurai, Tirunelveli, Nagercoil. Given the devastating floods that affected South Tamilnadu, how is state of NHs via these districts? Especially NHs enroute from Madurai, Tirunelveli and Nagercoil

Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 11:09   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venks View Post
Hi
I am planning to travel to Trivandrum from Bangalore via Salem, Dindigul, Madurai, Tirunelveli, Nagercoil. Given the devastating floods that affected South Tamilnadu, how is state of NHs via these districts? Especially NHs enroute from Madurai, Tirunelveli and Nagercoil

Thanks
Bangalore - Nagercoil route is good as usual. No rains since last 2-3 days.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 11:10   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Bangalore - Nagercoil route is good as usual. No rains since last 2-3 days.
Thank you. I traveled couple of days back, absolutely no issues through the highway till Trivandrum. Traffic moves frustratingly slow between Nagercoil and Trivandrum, but that is an age-old issue !
venks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 23:04   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venks View Post
Thank you. I traveled couple of days back, absolutely no issues through the highway till Trivandrum. Traffic moves frustratingly slow between Nagercoil and Trivandrum, but that is an age-old issue !
After taking the right from BLR-Kanyakumari highway, on the Nagercoil bypass, were you asked to take a diversion? I reached the bypass yesterday around 1 pm and all the 4-wheelers were forced to take a right onto a narrow two-lane road with heavy truck traffic and many bad sections. I was in the Thar and breezed through but it would have been very difficult for sedans. This detour didn't affect the Google Maps ETA though. Joined back the Nagercoil-TVM highway via the Kalliancaud road. Post that, it was a painful journey till the Trivandrum bypass at Kalliyikavila. The traffic was surprisingly high on a Saturday afternoon. This section seems to have deteriorated since Sep when I had previously travelled. It felt a far cry from the usual butter-smooth TN highways, especially the Martandom flyover which made me feel as if I was back in Bangalore ORR.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks