Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2018, 09:38   #481
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Apart from Madurai if you wish to stay in Tirunelveli, you can visit the famous Nava Tirupathi temples apart from Nellaiappan Temple.
But that seems quite far as well. Any place worth visiting before Madurai ? 1-2 hour detour is ok with me.
Old 9th January 2018, 09:52   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vint View Post
But that seems quite far as well. Any place worth visiting before Madurai ? 1-2 hour detour is ok with me.
I think staying in Madurai will be ideal. Here you have lots of options to visit temples like Srivilliputhur, Thiruthangal, Thirukkoshtiyur, Azhagar Temple in Madurai. You can also visit Thiruparankundram as well.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 15:13   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from Madurai if you wish to stay in Tirunelveli, you can visit the famous Nava Tirupathi temples apart from Nellaiappan Temple.
If it is just a stop over to break the journey, you can try Karur where you don't have to detour. In less than a kilometer from NH7, you can find hotels in Karur. You can see Kalyanasundareswarar temple.
If you want sight seeing, the Madurai or Tirunelveli is the best options to stay due to number of sight seeing places around, depending on number of days you want to spend.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 15:38   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
If it is just a stop over to break the journey, you can try Karur where you don't have to detour. In less than a kilometer from NH7, you can find hotels in Karur. You can see Kalyanasundareswarar temple.

-Ravi
+1 to what you have mentioned. We have the famous Thanthoni Malai and Abhaya Pradhana Ranganatha temples in Karur
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 22:36   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 to what you have mentioned. We have the famous Thanthoni Malai and Abhaya Pradhana Ranganatha temples in Karur
Yea, i was unable to recollect the temple names though i have been there to first one. Thanks for reminding the names Suresh.
These are short 15 to 20 minutes drive trip from Karur town, so easy to cover during the stay.

-Ravi
Old 10th January 2018, 13:12   #486
BHPian

Hello every one and a belated Happy New Year!

I am planning to drive in my aged Santro with my wife from Bangalore to Kanyakumari. I plan to start very early on the 26th and return on 28th after a day's stay.

Would if be OK if I start around 1 AM? As per google I will cross Salem at 5 AM and daylight shall be there soon after that.

I am used to night driving and usually start at 3 AM for long drives. This time planning to start early to reach with 1/2 a day available.

Also, is one day enough to just look around? (Though I do not have leaves and hence no other option)

Thanks!
Saurab C
Exhaust_Note is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 14:01   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post

I am planning to drive in my aged Santro with my wife from Bangalore to Kanyakumari. I plan to start very early on the 26th and return on 28th after a day's stay.

Would if be OK if I start around 1 AM? As per google I will cross Salem at 5 AM and daylight shall be there soon after that.

I am used to night driving and usually start at 3 AM for long drives. This time planning to start early to reach with 1/2 a day available.

Also, is one day enough to just look around? (Though I do not have leaves and hence no other option)

Thanks!
Saurab C
You have lots to see in and around Kanyakumari. Kindly refer the below travelogue of mine

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 14:36   #488
BHPian

Quote:
You have lots to see in and around Kanyakumari. Kindly refer the below travelogue of mine
Many thanks!!

Requesting anyone to comment on the starting time of 1 AM please!
Old 10th January 2018, 14:54   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks!!

Requesting anyone to comment on the starting time of 1 AM please!
Budget for about 10-11 hrs of driving. I suppose you are the sole driver. Take breaks wherever required and drive safe.
If you are comfortable doing overnight driving, then 1 AM is fine otherwise I would suggest a 4 AM start from Bangalore
Old 10th January 2018, 14:59   #490
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks!
Saurab C
Hit the thanks intead of quote. Sorry for that.

In my opinion, 1500 kms is too much to travel for just one day of sightseeing. Half the time you/family would feel tired from the journey itself. If time is a constraint, drop the driving idea and see if it's feasible to book an overnight train. At least you wont have the fatigue of driving when you go sight seeing !
Old 10th January 2018, 15:30   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vint View Post
Hit the thanks intead of quote. Sorry for that.

In my opinion, 1500 kms is too much to travel for just one day of sightseeing. Half the time you/family would feel tired from the journey itself. If time is a constraint, drop the driving idea and see if it's feasible to book an overnight train. At least you wont have the fatigue of driving when you go sight seeing !
I am sorry if I did not explain properly. Plan is as follows

A. Start from Home 1 AM 26-Jan (Friday)
B. Reach aroung 1 PM 26-Jan, Stay 27-Jan (Saturday)
C. Start return journey on 28 Jan (Sunday)

The concern is, is the road safe till Salem (and slightly beyond) for a couple in a hatchback car to start from Bangalore at 1 AM?
Old 10th January 2018, 16:41   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The concern is, is the road safe till Salem (and slightly beyond) for a couple in a hatchback car to start from Bangalore at 1 AM?
You will see lot of truck traffic around this time and there will be good amount of traffic till Salem. I would suggest 3:00 AM start, which means you can reach Kanyakumari around 1:00 PM.
Old 10th January 2018, 17:18   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess your query is more related to the security aspect. If so, there is no issues as such. However, as Arun mentioned though its a long weekend, 1 AM may be bit too early. You may end up resting most of the day on reaching Kanyakumari.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 17:40   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I guess your query is more related to the security aspect. If so, there is no issues as such. However, as Arun mentioned though its a long weekend, 1 AM may be bit too early. You may end up resting most of the day on reaching Kanyakumari.
Thanks for the clarity on the safety aspect.
The plan is to each by 1 PM 26th and spend a relaxed day and a half. Then return on 28th morning.

Advantages as I see
1. Clear roads out of Bangalore.
2. Avoiding the week end rush till Salem and beyond.
3. Have 1 and a half day at KK - so no rush.
4. Let the beach, sea, etc seep in

Anyways, I don't get much sleep before a Drive/ Ride.....no matter how many I may have done.
On Second thoughts, considering arun_josie too - I shall reconsider the start time. No use getting fatigued by the truck traffic.

Thanks to all who helped!!

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 10th January 2018 at 17:45. Reason: Reconsidered after arun_josie's point which is same as mpksuhas, in principle.
Old 10th January 2018, 18:26   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The plan is to each by 1 PM 26th and spend a relaxed day and a half. Then return on 28th morning.
If you are starting at 01 AM, you would reach much before 01 PM based on your stops enroute.

Last Nov I started around 04:00 AM and was in Kanyakumari TTDC hotel by 02:00 PM. Had stopped once for around 10 mins past Salem for diesel and some half hour near Karur for breakfast.

Was mostly in ~110 KMPH range.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks