Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2013, 19:19   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Hi all,

I'm planning to drive solo from Bangalore to Kovilpatti mid-week on a 2 day trip. My initial thought is to start early morning on Wednesday and drive without breaking the journey (except suitable rest stops of course) along NH7.

I estimate that it will take about 7 - 8 hours each way assuming that I don't push pedal to the metal.

1. Any new updates on the route?
2. Any options for a snack and lunch from BLR -> CVP, assuming that I stop for breakfast at A2B in Thoppur?
3. What are the decent eateries in the other direction which don't require a detour?

Regards,
BITF
Except few diversions till krishnagiri, this route is good throughout.
- If you are starting early morning, then you can reach Kovilpatti for lunch.
- There is a new hotel just after the toll(on the right side) on Madurai bypass. I think the name of the hotel is Haris.

Towards Bangalore:
- Again you have Haris, the one mentioned above
- Saravanas, on the left side after madurai bypass. May around 5-10Km after the bypass
- Few Kms after Saravanas, there is BP bunk with Ghar Dhaba.
- Grand Estancia, Salem - this is on the right side
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 13:19   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
I estimate that it will take about 7 - 8 hours each way assuming that I don't push pedal to the metal.
I'd say that's a fair estimate, given the excellent road conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
There is a new hotel just after the toll(on the right side) on Madurai bypass. I think the name of the hotel is Haris.
This is an excellent option - good food, good service, and clean rest rooms. You'd need to take the first U-turn (while going from Bangalore) after the Madurai bypass toll-gate.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 14:36   #288
Senior - BHPian

Back to Bangalore from Nagercoil. Did the whole stretch in 9 hours when going - including food and nature breaks. When coming back, it took 9.5 hours as I stopped off at Krishnagiri for a nice lunch.

On this return trip, I did check out Hari's - nice place with adequate parking and good wholesome food. Nice breakfast.

Did rain for a bit after Madurai - my riding gear protect me so I didn't have to stop.
Old 6th November 2013, 17:34   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Back to Bangalore from Nagercoil. Did the whole stretch in 9 hours when going - including food and nature breaks. When coming back, it took 9.5 hours as I stopped off at Krishnagiri for a nice lunch.

On this return trip, I did check out Hari's - nice place with adequate parking and good wholesome food. Nice breakfast.

Did rain for a bit after Madurai - my riding gear protect me so I didn't have to stop.
9+ hours is a good time for Nagercoil.

Can you point out & elaborate where exactly is Hari's restaurant you mentioned is located where u had breakfast?

-Ravi
Old 6th November 2013, 18:24   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
9+ hours is a good time for Nagercoil.

Can you point out & elaborate where exactly is Hari's restaurant you mentioned is located where u had breakfast?

-Ravi
When coming from Nagercoil, Hari's is just before the toll booth before Madurai. I don't think you can miss it - they have signboards announcing it even 9 kms before the restaurant!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 21:42   #291
BHPian

Did the Bangalore <-> Kovilpatti stretch in about 6.5 hours each way, including a 45 minute break. Ended up stopping at Thoppur A2B on both occasions simply due to the timing - breakfast to and a late lunch fro.

As I was returning to Bangalore on the afternoon of 31-October, I saw the most horrendous traffic jam heading into Hosur from Bangalore, stretching halfway into Hosur town and well beyond the tollgate on the Karnataka side. As usual, many folks had decided to jump lanes on to the wrong side of the road (heading to Bangalore). I managed to squeeze through in the nick of time, only to get my own version of a jam at the Silk Board junction.

Roads were stellar throughout, except for one very notable and annoying exception - the Hosur stretch simply sucks. I would add more choice adjectives/verbs, but am afraid that even they wouldn't do justice to how horrible the road, traffic patterns and the chaos in that stretch is. I sincerely pity the folks who live there and have to put up with it every day. For their sake, I hope that they finish the road expansion + flyover work quickly.

Thanks for the pointers - Hari's seems like a good option to try the next time. One can't easily miss it
Old 6th November 2013, 22:01   #292
Team-BHP Support

The more I hear this, the more I think one should use the Rayakottai-Kelamangalam road. But yes, if one is taking that road, drive during day times.
Surely would save lots of time. One can arrive directly past the Attibele toll gate.

Route Link

Last edited by ampere : 6th November 2013 at 22:09.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 23:49   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The more I hear this, the more I think one should use the Rayakottai-Kelamangalam road. But yes, if one is taking that road, drive during day times.
Surely would save lots of time. One can arrive directly past the Attibele toll gate.

Route Link
Looks to be a good alternative. Do you have any updates on the road condition?
Old 7th November 2013, 00:07   #294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Looks to be a good alternative. Do you have any updates on the road condition?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3270223

Here is a reference. On a regular day it may not save much. But on these kind of days, it would be a big saviour. Road around Kelamangalam and around TVS factor are not that great.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 09:28   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This sounds good. Might try it when coming by car this December.
Old 7th November 2013, 09:43   #296
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
This sounds good. Might try it when coming by car this December.
While coming back, they way to detect this road is:

- When you see Dharmapuri Bypass flyover, there you would see a board to Palacode.
- Dont take that flyover. Exit the 4-lane.
- Right below the flyover is the old Dharmapuri highway leading to Rayakottai/Hosur via Palacode.

- Also note at Rayakottai DONT take the road to Hosur.
- Deviate to Kelamangalam
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 18:23   #297
BHPian

One of my friend wants to drive down from Bangalore to visit Madurai, Kanyakumari & Rameshwaram next week for 3 nights. He will be travelling with his family (along with his 8 months old son).

He is taking the following route: Bangalore - Madurai - Rameshwaram - Kanyakumari - Madurai - Bangalore.

Please suggest places to halt/stop over for a brief time in the following places as he does not want to cover long distances in a single day.

In other words, what would be your itenary if you were in his place.

This would be the baby's first long distance travel by road. So please give your suggestions keeping the baby's comfort in mind.
Old 21st November 2013, 18:39   #298
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
One of my friend wants to drive down from Bangalore to visit Madurai, Kanyakumari & Rameshwaram next week for 3 nights. He will be travelling with his family (along with his 8 months old son).

He is taking the following route: Bangalore - Madurai - Rameshwaram - Kanyakumari - Madurai - Bangalore.

Please suggest places to halt/stop over for a brief time in the following places as he does not want to cover long distances in a single day.

In other words, what would be your itenary if you were in his place.
If he is OK with good hotels:

- Madurai : GRT (One of the best places). Metropole is a good place too. There are many many more depending on the budget
- Rameshwaram : Daiwik: Simply put .. The only place and the best place
- Kanyakumari : The best place is Sparsha. You can look at Sea View too.

Plan :

D1 : Drive to Madurai Check in by noon. NH7 all the way. Visit temple by evening
D2 : Visit again if you need. Check out and drive to Rameshwaram and reach by evening. NH49 all the way.
D3/D4 Spend time at Rameshwaram. (Temple and Dhanushkodi)

D4 or D5 morning : Drive to KK. (Rameshwaram-Ramnad-Tuticorin-Tirunelveli-KK) Reach by evening. Carry food on this sector. Poor Facilities. If you want to visit Tiruchendur, you will need to drive on ECR all the way instead of going to Tirunelveli.

D5/D6 : Depending on your availability spend time here, you decide your stay.

Last Leg : Return via NH7 all the way to Bangalore.
Old 21st November 2013, 18:45   #299
BHPian

Quote:
If he is OK with good hotels:

- Madurai : GRT (One of the best places). Metropole is a good place too. There are many many more depending on the budget
- Rameshwaram : Daiwik: Simply put .. The only place and the best place
- Kanyakumari : The best place is Sparsha. You can look at Sea View too.

Plan :

D1 : Drive to Madurai Check in by noon. NH7 all the way. Visit temple by evening
D2 : Visit again if you need. Check out and drive to Rameshwaram and reach by evening. NH49 all the way.
D3/D4 Spend time at Rameshwaram. (Temple and Dhanushkodi)

D4 or D5 morning : Drive to KK. (Rameshwaram-Ramnad-Tuticorin-Tirunelveli-KK) Reach by evening. Carry food on this sector. Poor Facilities. If you want to visit Tiruchendur, you will need to drive on ECR all the way instead of going to Tirunelveli.

D5/D6 : Depending on your availability spend time here, you decide your stay.

Last Leg : Return via NH7 all the way to Bangalore.
Thanks Ampere. But the thing is he has only 3 nights for this trip. The 4th night he has to be back in Bangalore. Any suggestions based on this?
Old 21st November 2013, 18:50   #300
Senior - BHPian

A colleague from office is planning to drive down to Velankanni and onwards to Kanyakumari and back to Bangalore in December. Can you guys suggest the route? and some places to stay in Velankanni and Kanyakumari? Or is it a better idea to stay in Thanjavur? Cause he will be travelling with 2 children.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks