Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2022, 06:37   #406
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBokehlicious View Post
Hi all, planning a trip to Chikmagalur this weekend. Plan is to leave bangalore early and catch the sun rising at mullayanagiri
Did you visit Chikmagalur? How are the roads?
Old 29th August 2022, 21:36   #407
Senior - BHPian

Any recent updates on the road conditions between Hassan and Chikmagalur, because of the rains.
Old 29th August 2022, 22:43   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Any recent updates on the road conditions between Hassan and Chikmagalur, because of the rains.
Just completed a trip from Chennai to Shakatapuram (near Agumbe). The onward journey was via Krishnagiri Hiriyur Lakkavalli and Koppa and return was via Chickmagalur Hassan Hoskote Chittoor. The roads between Hassan and Chickmagaluru via Belur is by and large okay. There are now few more sections of potholes-ridden roads because of the ongoing monsoon.
CArspeed is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 15:58   #409
BHPian

Please suggest the best route in terms of shortest with good roads from Chikmagalur to Madikeri, covering the following places:

Shettihalli Church, Bilse Ghat, Mallalli Falls.

Gmaps suggests: Chikmagalur- Belur - Bikkodu - Byrapura - Honnenahalli - Shettihalli Church - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Kulkunda - Bisle Ghat - Patla - Mallalli Falls - Somwarpet - Madikeri.

Is it advisable to take the above route? We intend to start from Chikmagalur by 7 am.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd September 2022, 13:54   #410
BHPian

Any updates on the road conditions ,after recent rains?
I'm planning a weekend drive tomorrow to Chikmagalur. If anyone has update on the road conditions on below route, please share.

Bangalore > Makali > Nelamangala > Kunigal > Bellur > Channarayapattana > Hassan > Belur > Yakashettihalli > Chikmagalur
Old 5th September 2022, 13:04   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Any updates on the road conditions ,after recent rains?
I'm planning a weekend drive tomorrow to Chikmagalur. If anyone has update on the road conditions on below route, please share.

Bangalore > Makali > Nelamangala > Kunigal > Bellur > Channarayapattana > Hassan > Belur > Yakashettihalli > Chikmagalur
Ok. Here is the update for anyone planning this route.

Roads are good till Hassan. From Hassan toward chikmagalore , there are many pothole areas , but not very bad.

There are lots of diversions in Nelamangala- Hassan stretch for construction of fly overs, and hence average speeds can drop considerably.
mykal shoemaker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 13:08   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The road is good. No worries. I drove this weekend and did not see anything to worry about.
redcruiser is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 09:53   #413
Senior - BHPian

If you have a day or two free, do visit the hills surrounding Chikkamagaluru. For, they have turned purple and it is a sight not to be missed.

Although it is said that Neelakurunji flowers grace the mountains once in twelve years, we have been seeing them in patches almost every year. This time, however, they have appeared in massive numbers, turning the Chandradrona ranges into a huge canvas of colors.

I roamed around the area yesterday and took some photographs. But due largely to my incompetence and partly because of fog, they do not reflect the real picture. Hence, posting a third party video that should egg prospective visitors to make haste while the flowers last .

dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:36   #414
Senior - BHPian

I drove down to Chikamagalur last week for a 2 day trip and came back on saturday 17th. Road conditions from Bangalore till Hassan on the highway are normal. No issues as such except for fly over construction related diversions on and off. From Hassan on belur highway, the road is broadly ok with occasional pot holes dues to monsoon. That part of the drive needs some attention.

As pointed by daily driver there is a big bloom of Kurinji flowers in the region. We went to Mullayangiri peak and it was covered everywhere. Sight to be experienced along with the lovely weather and fog.
supertinu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 17:09   #415

Greetings All,

Planning a trip to Sringeri, Kollur, Udupi and Dharmasthala next week. Please suggest -

1) How are the road conditions to Sringeri from Bangalore in the light of recent rains? Is the route of Bangalore - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur- Chikmagalur - Aldur - Jayapura - Sringeri good?

2) How are the roads around Chikmagalur?

3) Please suggest good food joints on Bangalore to Chikmagalur route.

4) Please suggest good fuel outlets on this route.

5) Any suggestions for the trip around Malnad will be very helpful.
Old 3rd October 2022, 18:36   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by innervoice View Post
Greetings All,

Planning a trip to Sringeri, Kollur, Udupi and Dharmasthala next week. Please suggest -

1) How are the road conditions to Sringeri from Bangalore in the light of recent rains? Is the route of Bangalore - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur- Chikmagalur - Aldur - Jayapura - Sringeri good?

2) How are the roads around Chikmagalur?

3) Please suggest good food joints on Bangalore to Chikmagalur route.

4) Please suggest good fuel outlets on this route.

5) Any suggestions for the trip around Malnad will be very helpful.
Just returned from Bengaluru-->Sringeri-->Dharmasthala --> BLR trip on working days. Here is my response to your questions

1. Bangalore to Hassan decent roads, Hassan to Belur is not so good, expect some sudden pathholes and rough roads, Belur to chikkamagalur to Adlur cross --> Bad roads, but drivable, and Post Adlur all the way upto Sringeri good roads, except 2-3 stretches of 1-2 kms (but still drivable).

2. Simply bad..except where there are divided roads

3. Refer to Bangalore-Mangalore thread..Nothing much post Hassan. You can try https://g.page/Khandya-cafe-Restaurent?share

4. Actually didn't fill anywhere, was driving Jetta and started with full tank, and there was no need to fill in between. However fuel should not be an issue.

5. Adlur to sringeri, if you are driving on weekend, especially long weekend, be very careful about drivers how are new to winding roads. We come across three separate head-on accidents between different cars in a stretch of 100 kms before Sringeri, that too on a working day

Last edited by manjubp : 3rd October 2022 at 18:40.
manjubp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 22:22   #417
Senior - BHPian

Going from Bangalore to Chikmagalur, G maps now suggests to go around Hassan on the ring road marked in red in the map below.

On my many trips to Chikmagalur I have always taken the blue route. Never been on or have been suggested to go thru Ring road.

Is this ring road a new development and a viable suggestion?
Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-img_20221011_221458.jpg
Old 11th October 2022, 22:39   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Going from Bangalore to Chikmagalur, G maps now suggests to go around Hassan on the ring road marked in red in the map below.

Yes, that ring road is definitely the right choice when you want to drive towards Belur/Chikmagalur. I have been taking this ring road regularly since last two years. In fact, I have taken this every single time I drove to Chikmagalur in last two years.

This road definitely saves time compared to the older option (the blue road in your map). The only issue is that there are many speedbreakers along this ring road, and some of them are rather big ones. Therefore, if one is driving a low GC sedan, they have to be careful and crawl over these speedbreakers. However, in spite of these speedbreakers, I still prefer this road over the older alternatives. Other than these speedbreakers, there are no other issues.

I am not sure if this is a new development. But I noticed it about 2 years ago and used it first time in 2020.
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 11:41   #419
bht
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post

On my many trips to Chikmagalur I have always taken the blue route. Never been on or have been suggested to go thru Ring road.

Attachment 2367228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Yes, that ring road is definitely the right choice when you want to drive towards Belur/Chikmagalur. I have been taking this ring road regularly since last two years. In fact, I have taken this every single time I drove to Chikmagalur in last two years.

This road definitely saves time compared to the older option (the blue road in your map). The only issue is that there are many speedbreakers along this ring road, and some of them are rather big ones. Therefore, if one is driving a low GC sedan, they have to be careful and crawl over these speedbreakers. However, in spite of these speedbreakers, I still prefer this road over the older alternatives. Other than these speedbreakers, there are no other issues.

I am not sure if this is a new development. But I noticed it about 2 years ago and used it first time in 2020.

Yes, This is much better option even with the frequent junctions and speed breakers it does save time and distance.
bht is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 12:59   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Yes, that ring road is definitely the right choice when you want to drive towards Belur/Chikmagalur. I have been taking this ring road regularly since
Quote:
Originally Posted by bht View Post
Yes, This is much better option even with the frequent junctions and speed breakers it does save time and distance.
Returned from a weekend trip to Blossom Resort Chickmangalur.

Took ring road around Hassan and was disappointed with the number of speed breakers. Almost one every 100 meters for about a kilometer. But thereafter it was smooth driving.

Hasan Belur road is deteriorating by the day, potholes are randomly scattered around the road and of course speed breakers are evenly distributed.

Belur Chickmangalur road is similarly pockmarked. Some parts badly damaged.

Just after Chickmangalur, about a kilometer of road is under construction and has stones for a surface. Need to crawl on it.

The saving grace is that the scenery is good and green. This pic is just after Belur
Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-img20221016wa0006.jpg
goandude is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks