Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2021, 15:40   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
This place is quite good and I like it. I do not know about their history or their connection with other places. But I know that this is newly opened place. They have spacious and well marked parking, clean restrooms, clean interiors, and good food. I like this place.
Agree on this, Paakashala is underrated. Food is quite tasty, price on par with Swathi and is maintained well. Vasudev Adiga sold his stake at Adiga's and started this venture of Paakashaala. During initial days, Vasudev himself used to be there at this location. Their meals is actually among best on this highway.

On a different note, Anangha(My personal favorite), second outlet of Halli Mane haven't resumed operations when I was travelling two weeks ago.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 15:42   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Wanted to get a quick update on the route to Chikmaglur from Bangalore. Planning to visit this weekend and wanted to know if the road conditions are still as good as before? Will be taking NH 75 after exiting NICE Road at Tumkur gate and then taking the left deviation to get onto NH 75.

Also, what is the best place to have breakfast on the onward journey? Clean place with good parking and good food being the requirements. I understand Swathi Delicacy is a good choice?
I went till Charmadi and back, yesterday. Roads are good throughout.

For breakfast, another option is A2B, Udayapura. Distance wise it is ~180 kms from Bangalore and would take 2.5-3 hrs. to reach this place.

Adyar Ananda Bhavan
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LHKyyHenzXMtPTfW9

Lot of parking space available, clean and well-maintained restaurant (even the washrooms are clean). Since it is far from Bangalore, most people stop at the eateries earlier, for breakfast. Hence, it is relatively less crowded and has been my preferred spot in this past year.

Last edited by ashis89 : 12th July 2021 at 15:48.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 15:47   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

But if you are driving to Hassan, I find this intersection quite dangerous due to the fact that the cut in the median is also an intersection and it is at a slop where vehicles, especially driven towards Bangalore are quite fast. Even when we are driving back to Bangalore, we need to be extremely careful while crossing this place.

Hence, call me paranoid, I will always prefer to stop by at places on the left hand side of the highway than cut across traffic at cut in the medians located at very unscientific and potentially dangerous spots like this one.
Yes the road approach reminds you of Thopur - Dharmapuri Sai Sangeet stop. Either of them are in the MUST stop list in terms of veg food and clean restrooms.

The Paakashala intersection is dangerous, you really have to travel backwards and take a U-turn to be safe when exiting the place towards Hassan.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 08:45   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
For breakfast, another option is A2B, Udayapura. Distance wise it is ~180 kms from Bangalore and would take 2.5-3 hrs. to reach this place.

Adyar Ananda Bhavan
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LHKyyHenzXMtPTfW9
Is it open after the lock-down period got over? Last Saturday when we wanted to stop here for dinner, it was closed. Same with Empire near Hassan, we were there around 9:30-10PM. Or is there any restrictions during weekend?
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 08:58   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Is it open after the lock-down period got over? Last Saturday when we wanted to stop here for dinner, it was closed. Same with Empire near Hassan, we were there around 9:30-10PM. Or is there any restrictions during weekend?
A2B is closing around 6PM nowadays, that's what they mentioned when I asked last Sunday. Empire was open when we crossed it around 7:30PM. They might be closing it post 9PM.

During pre-lockdown days, A2B used to be closed before 8PM. I never found it open whenever I returned via that route. So 6PM could be their usual closing time on any day.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 09:22   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I understand Swathi Delicacy is a good choice?
Swathi has been my regular stop but its extremely crowded these days and I avoided stopping here last sunday.

If you are planning to drive down to CKM during the weekend, please be mentally prepared for crowds at the regular tourist spots. CKM town last saturday felt like KR market on a saturday morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Agree on this, Paakashala is underrated.
Anangha(My personal favorite), second outlet of Halli Mane haven't resumed operations when I was travelling two weeks ago.
+1 for Paakashala, based on feedback from friends who stop here. If you are refering to Anagha grand, it was open and quiet crowded this sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
A2B is closing around 6PM nowadays, that's what they mentioned when I asked last Sunday. Empire was open when we crossed it around 7:30PM.
A2B was open Sunday morning 7 am when I drove past but Empire was closed.

Did notice a new Kadamba which has opened at Devihalli toll and it did not seem to be very crowded. Plan to stop here next time and check if its food is as good as the Kadamba's in North BLR.

Last edited by procrj : 13th July 2021 at 09:24.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 09:47   #352
Senior - BHPian

Anyone recently drove from kottigehara- magundi-Balehonnur route? Any decent restaurants with restrooms in this route?
Old 13th July 2021, 09:54   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Swathi has been my regular stop but its extremely crowded these days and I avoided stopping here last sunday.

If you are planning to drive down to CKM during the weekend, please be mentally prepared for crowds at the regular tourist spots.
+1 for Paakashala
Thanks for the tip! However, I am not too interested to visit touristy spots or shopping etc, and would mostly be chilling in the homestay. Possibly driving around in my own car wherever vehicle access is possible.

Will probably explore Paakshala if Swathi delicacy turns out to be crowded. It is a couple of kilometers down the highway from Swathi, correct (while driving from Bangalore to CKM)?
Old 13th July 2021, 10:21   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is a couple of kilometers down the highway from Swathi, correct (while driving from Bangalore to CKM)?
Yes, 2 km ahead after you cross Swathi is Paakashala and on the Hassan-Bangalore corridor. There is an opening in median right opposite to it for that right turn into their parking.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 16:46   #355
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Anyone recently drove from kottigehara- magundi-Balehonnur route? Any decent restaurants with restrooms in this route?
Possibly none after the turning that goes up to Magundi. Your best bet is some roadside coffee shop on Highway 73. There may be village level tiny local shops but I didn't notice them at least. I just took that route till before CKM two weeks back.

One thing though - the food and cooking oil in non-descript back country shops is incredibly fresh and delicious compared to city fare that has been transported from various godowns to the local warehouses and storage rooms of these City based hotels.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 10:52   #356
BHPian

Hi All -

Planning to visit Chickmagalur with family (in fact 50 kms outside CKM at a place called Hesgadu) this weekend for some rest and relaxation.

Will be starting from Whitefield early morning on Friday. Based on inputs from the forum, proposed route:

Whitefield - Hebbal - Hasan - Belur - cheekanahalli - Jannapura - Mudigere - Hesgadu

For breakfast we are thinking of A2B to avoid highly popular ones that are closer to Bangalore.

I wanted to ask a) if this route is fine? And b) are there any places of interest along this route that you would recommend to spend say 30-45 mins. We will have a 9 year old kid along.

Thanks in advance

Nimz
Old 29th August 2021, 18:14   #357
BHPian

Moto heads,

If i take the Kadur-Birur highway on route to reach Bangalore, what all cities do i encounter and how are the latest road conditions?
Do advise!

I am not keen on taking the usual Chikmagalur->Belur-> Hassan->Kunigal
Nh75 for my return back to Bengaluru on a Monday, as i dont really like the nh75 very much.
Old 29th August 2021, 18:22   #358
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
Moto heads,

If i take the Kadur-Birur highway on route to reach Bangalore, what all cities do i encounter and how are the latest road conditions?
Do advise!

I am not keen on taking the usual Chikmagalur->Belur-> Hassan->Kunigal
Nh75 for my return back to Bengaluru on a Monday, as i dont really like the nh75 very much.
The Kadur-Birur route is NH 206 and will get you via small towns like Arsikere, Tiptur and Gubbi to Tumkur. Lots of people, 2 wheelers and cattle crossing en route especially when driving back in the evening isn't enjoyable on this route. It's also a 2 lane undivided road.

Last edited by NPV : 29th August 2021 at 18:27.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 15:46   #359
BHPian

Planning to do a one day drive from bangalore to Chikmagalur and back. As most good and reasonable resorts /homestays are all fully booked. So we 2 families are planning for just a drive. So any good places for lunch (preferably non-veg) in chikmagalur and to hang out for a couple of hours before driving back. Maybe some resort would be a good option. So anything that can be suggested. We are planning to do it on sat considering the long weekend traffic.

Also open for any other good suggestions for a 200-300kms (one way) drive option with a good lunch and hangout option. Should be within karnataka to avoid RTPCR hassles. Starting point is electronic city.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 12:14   #360
BHPian

Looking for a recommended homestay/bungalow to stay in Chikmagalur for a week or so. Don't want a resort where there will be other guests, but rather a place where we will be the only guests on the property, like a coffee estate with a homestay or similar. Must be clean and tidy. Any recommendations? Good food + wifi is a bonus.

Thanks!

Last edited by s4ch : 7th October 2021 at 12:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks