Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2015, 12:52   #121
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Do we need to book a place to stay in advance or generally we get it?
Old 24th June 2015, 14:26   #122
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwatiS View Post
Booking in advance or at least calling to find out availability in advance is always recommended Most of the home stays generally have a good flow of guests and a walk-in may not be a great idea (they usually need advance notice to get ready to prepare food, etc unlike in a hotel).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 15:12   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

There are multiple homestays in and around Chikmagalur-Mudigere-Arehalli-Sakleshpura belt.

The simplest method followed by all of these homestays (unless few have tie-ups with Travel portals) is to block your reservation after you transfer 50% of the total cost.

So, take out that phone and start dialing - Confirm availability and they will send you bank account details to which you can transfer the amount.

Trust ??- That is how Homestay Business works and you are almost hearing it from the horse's mouth! Try out few listed below:

Bean Stalk Bagmane

TB Homestay

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th June 2015 at 15:14.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 16:06   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwatiS View Post
In addition to what Parag and NPV mentioned, I dont think, you can just find a homestay by driving around Chikkamagalur. They are/maybe nestled deep into estates or hills. So its always better to select a place before you go.

Last edited by ampere : 24th June 2015 at 17:02.
Old 25th June 2015, 18:16   #125
BHPian

When I travelled to Agumbe couple of weeks ago, I deliberately missed the right at Hassan and took the next right which took us through coffee estates/rubber plantations. We thoroughly enjoyed the route because there was absolutely no traffic. Even though we reached Agumbe 2 hours late we were not disappointed :-)

There were patches of absolutely NO road and we were thinking of going back to take the correct turn, but glad we decided against it. We envied all the people living in beautiful houses amidst vast greenery.

So, if you want to avoid the boring highway, miss the correct right turn at Hassan (if you follow Google Maps).
Old 25th June 2015, 18:46   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post
missed the right at Hassan and took the next right which took us through coffee estates/rubber plantations.
I believe you may have either deviated right into Alur town or later at Bage followed by Biccodu-Belur-Chikmagalur and then Agumbe?

Don't you recall the places that you may passed??
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 19:18   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I believe you may have either deviated right into Alur town or later at Bage followed by Biccodu-Belur-Chikmagalur and then Agumbe?

Don't you recall the places that you may passed??

Yes via Bage. Our plan was to get out and have fun, so we didn't really pen down the routes/places. We drove around a lot without purpose, there was a narrow road/slalom course, with green carpet on either side. We decided to park right in the middle (read- ZERO traffic) and ate the awesome homemade Almond Butter-Banana-Nutella Sandwiches with all type of insect and bird sounds.
I would totally recommend this route
Resfeber is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 20:55   #128

Thanks Amp & Thanks guys. Loads of interesting information.
I have decided to drive through Kunigal-Hassan-Chickmagalur. Will be in my Ecosport.
Leaving on Monday 29th June. Planing to start early.
Cheers!!!
Old 29th June 2015, 21:49   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Thinking about getting away for a couple of days in mid July and enjoy the monsoon weather in one of the hilly areas. Wayanad and Coorg are out of the equation. Felt that Chikmagalur would be an ideal choice. With the summer rains and the first part of the monsoon bringing good rains, I assume this would be a good time to visit. Don't plan to do any extensive site seeing. Looking for a place to relax and enough place for kids to run around. I did go through the Trip Adviser recommendations and there are a lot of places with close to 5 * reviews and all of them look great on Trip Adviser.

Any personal recommendations? Also, any thoughts on places other than Chikmagalur in that general area(Apart from Sakleshpur-Have been there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Disclaimer : I have not stayed at any of the mentioned homestays. Just mentioning based on the reviews I saw on Tripadvisor and TBHP when I did a research for my planned trip for July second week.
Is your trip planned for the July 17-19 Ramzan Weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Trust ??- That is how Homestay Business works and you are almost hearing it from the horse's mouth! Try out few listed below:

Bean Stalk Bagmane
Parag, any idea on the rates at beanstalkbagmane? The tariff page in the website is not showing anything. The place looks good, but could not find too many reviews about the place.
Old 30th June 2015, 09:46   #130
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Any personal recommendations? Also, any thoughts on places other than Chikmagalur in that general area(Apart from Sakleshpur-Have been there)
I have stayed at Kolavara Heritage in Tirthahalli, very nice place. Look up on the forum there are some travelogues with details as well

You can also try Vihangama, it is by the river side and should be nice, there was even a Team-BHP meet there few years ago. I could not get a booking here so decided on Kolavara.

Other options (haven't stayed at these places but have seen recommendations):
- Bananki in Tirthahalli
- Upasana Retreat in Kudremukh
- Kadkani River resort, Ammathi near Virajpet

If you're going towards Tirthahalli, on the way you could visit the Gajanur Dam, Sakrebylu elephant camp (not too sure if the place will be open if raining heavily).

Last edited by NPV : 30th June 2015 at 09:47.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 15:39   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Is your trip planned for the July 17-19 Ramzan Weekend?
No, I am traveling the weekend before that - 11-13. Rooms were booked for this weekend at some home-stays last week when I enquired, in case you are planning for Ramzan weekend it may be best you do the booking soon.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 14:37   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Chikkamagaluru trip last week.
Onward : 11 July Saturday- Wanted to visit Ishwara temple at Arsikere and also wanted to try Kadur - Chikkamangaluru route.

Hence took, NICE road - Tumkur Byepass - Tiptur - Arsikere - Kadur- Chikkamangaluru route.

Tumkur bye-pass is patched up, however felt there was no time savings as such since I took it early morning. Road conditions are good throughout.

Stopped at Ishwara temple, Arsikere and also at Ayyana Kere (4 KM deviation). Stopped at Cafe Coffee day soon after Arsikere instead of Vinayaka Cafe at Kadur since hunger got the best of us.

Crossed silk board around 06:00 AM and reached Tippanahalli home-stay at 12:30 PM.

Return : 13 July - Monday:
Started around 11:45 AM, took Tippanahalli home-stay - Chickkamagalur - Belur route, however few KM's down Belur road took left towards Belavadi Veeranarayana temple. Road condition is good till here, however soon after Chikmagalur there is road work going on.

From Belavadi, took NH 234 to Halebeedu. From Halebeedu, just for trying new road decided to take SH 21 - Hassan bye-pass (instead of the recommended Belur - Hassan - SH 57 or Halebeedu - Hagare - SH 57 - Hassan route).

Road condition on SH 21 is pathetic for around 7 KMS mid way towards Hassan. Hassan- Bangalore again is in great condition.

Stopped at hotel Mayura for lunch and proceeded towards Bangalore.

Reached Silkboard by 05:20 PM.

Climate is great at Chikkamagaluru, slight drizzle sometimes. Cloudy otherwise.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 17:21   #133

HI,
I travelled just two weeks back from Bangalore to Chickmagalur.
The route we took was Bangalore - Kunigal- Yediyur-Chennarayapatna-Bye passed Hassan-Belur-Chickmagalur. The road, a 4 lane highway was very good till Belur, after which it became a two lane state highway, mostly OK.
Do take the time to visit Mullaiangiri. The last steep climb - there is no road to speak of but the scenery is out of this world.

Enjoy.
Zoomer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 13:44   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you guys are planning to leave at night, the scenic route part any way does not apply. Because it only takes 5-6 hours to reach Chikkamagalur. And for night drives I would always suggest to stick to 4-lane roads whenever and where ever possible. From that point of view I would suggest the usual route : Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Chikkamagalur.
Will this be the route through Nelamangala. How good are the roads on this route?
Old 13th August 2015, 13:48   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Will this be the route through Nelamangala. How good are the roads on this route?
Yes that is the one.

- Nelamangala-Kunigal-CR Patna-Hassan is 4-lane road.
- Hassan-Belur is a good 2-lane road.
- Belur-Chikkamagulur is again a decent 2-lane
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks