Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 17:18   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Valparai - Stay and other info

Pollachi was the only town, where I could spot some decent hotels.

I had marked two of them during online search.
(For a lunch, which ultimately I could not go)

1, Nivethas Inn (Hotel Nivetha's Inn - Pollachi)
2. Hotel Shakti (Sakthi Hotels - Pollachi, Tamilnadu, India.)
These places at least looked OK based on what I read.

Perundurai has Annalakshmi (Thanks to Ranjit who pointed it to me) and Chennis.

Last edited by ampere : 6th May 2011 at 17:19.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 23:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
EDIT: Also, please comment on decent Veg food options for Day1.
I think Pollachi would be good for breakfast, for Lunch - around Aliyar/Valparai. (strictly veg)
I had breakfast at hotel Gowri Krishna in Pollachi and it was good (I really liked the Pongal which they served that day).
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 13:25   #33
BHPian

Thanks for your help guys. Just back from a two days trip to Valparai. It was absolutely smooth with no problems anywhere (drive, stay) as everything was planned as per your suggestions. Team BHP rocks

Route taken: Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Angalakurichi-Aliyar-Valparai

As mentioned by others, the route is good overall. Some bad patches b/w Palladam-Pollachi and in Pollachi town on Valparai route (via Angalakurichi) for initial stretches. Rest of the roads are very good.

Tried Valparai-Aanaimalai-Pollachi-Palladam-Perundurai-Salem route on return, which is absolutely good through out.

while coming from Valparai, there is a deviation to Kottur after Aliyar on left. That will pass through Sangampalayam-Aanaimalai and will join Thrissur-Pollachi road. Would suggest everyone to take this route, as you could avoid bad patches in Pollachi town on other valparai route (in initial stretches).

Last edited by nfsfreak : 10th May 2011 at 13:32.
nfsfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 13:39   #34
Team-BHP Support

My feeling of Valparai is that it gives similar vibes/joys like Munnar, but it is much-much quieter.
Hence for a nice break, where one needs to reconnect with oneself (!), he/she should head out to Valparai.

In fact I should thank @Bigzero and his TL which introduced me to the place!
Almost for a year, I was only planning to go and then finally could do it!
Old 10th May 2011, 13:57   #35
BHPian

@ampere, very true indeed.

Valparai is a very nice place and is not over crowded as other hill stations.

There are many places to look around but since mine is a two days trip and main idea was to spend some time together with family, havent visited all attractions there in Valparai.

Not even able to visit Topslip this time, given the schedule. Would be my next trip with my friends, probably. Heard a lot about it.

Overall, A different experience compared to Ooty/Kodai (havent been to Munnar/Wayanad. So could not comment) and would recommend it to all.
Old 4th August 2011, 15:48   #36
BHPian

Guys,

As a sudden plan, I, my mom and my sister have decided to drive to Vaalparai tomorrow. To book the accomodation I tried Glenedale and Tea Bungalow, but both are full.

Could you guys quickly suggest any other secluded stays that will be readily available? My budget is 2k-3k per day. TIA.
Old 4th August 2011, 20:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

@cliffhanger Sent you a PM with a contact from NEPC

Edit: Your budget could be an issue with any acco in the estates.

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 4th August 2011 at 20:26.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 22:20   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger
Guys,

As a sudden plan, I, my mom and my sister have decided to drive to Vaalparai tomorrow. To book the accomodation I tried Glenedale and Tea Bungalow, but both are full.

Could you guys quickly suggest any other secluded stays that will be readily available? My budget is 2k-3k per day. TIA.
We stayed in one Hotel GrassLands in valparai. It was neat and clean and on the main market road itself. Since we were there in a package trip, I am not sure about other details here. Just try your luck in Google. I think they charged Rs.700/- for a deluxe non-ac room.
callvvijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:45   #39
BHPian

Guys,

My friends & I have decided to head out to Parambikulam & Valparai during the weekend.

We plan to start off from Bangalore on Thursday around 10pm or so to reach the Sethumadai CP by 7am or so.

Pls suggest the best route to reach Paramabikulam bypassing Avinashi.

Thanks in advance.

Lloyd
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:46   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
We plan to start off from Bangalore on Thursday around 10pm or so to reach the Sethumadai CP by 7am or so.

Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Sethumadai.

The problem/issue in your case is :

- To spot the Perundurai exit from NH47 at night.
- Find the Kangeyam road at Perundurai
- At Kangeyam turn right on the mail cross road to Palladam.
- Find the Pollachi SH at Palladam.

There are boards errected at Kangayam and Palladam (but none in Perundurai).
But at night you need to spot them.
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:25   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

My friends & I have decided to head out to Parambikulam & Valparai during the weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Lloyd
I just came back from a 2 day trip to Parambikulam yesterday night. It took me 6.5hrs to reach from home to the forest reserve. I left home at 4.45am and was in Pollachi at 10.30AM. The roads are superb until just before Coimbatore and even though they turn out to be smaller highways later on, the overall condition is really good.

I did B'lore-Salem-Coimbatore(take the toll road just before Coimbatore marked towards Palaghat and exit on the Pollachi road) - Pollachi - Topslip - Parambikulam. Total distance was around 520kms approx one way.

On the way back, we did the pollachi-coimbatore-mettupalayam-ooty-blr route and it was almost double time, also because of breaks we took.

Hope this helps.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Sethumadai.

I think going to Pollachi via Dharapuram would be a better option than going via Palladam. If you maintain a decent speed watching out for the Perundurai exit is easy. Once you get inside Perundurai just follow the signs for Palani until Dharapuram. Only tricky point is to latch onto the Pollachi SH at Dharapuram bypass. I think early morning one can afford to go through the town to take the right road to Pollachi without losing much time.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 21:56   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I think going to Pollachi via Dharapuram would be a better option than going via Palladam. If you maintain a decent speed watching out for the Perundurai exit is easy. Once you get inside Perundurai just follow the signs for Palani until Dharapuram. Only tricky point is to latch onto the Pollachi SH at Dharapuram bypass. I think early morning one can afford to go through the town to take the right road to Pollachi without losing much time.
Srikanth,

Any specific reason for that? My thought process was, that NH67 is very good and a smooth road.
Also, crossing Palladam and latching to Pollachi road is an easy job. (Just one turn).

(Just that at night it needs to be spotted).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 00:19   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
I just came back from a 2 day trip to Parambikulam yesterday night. It took me 6.5hrs to reach from home to the forest reserve. I left home at 4.45am and was in Pollachi at 10.30AM. The roads are superb until just before Coimbatore and even though they turn out to be smaller highways later on, the overall condition is really good.

I did B'lore-Salem-Coimbatore(take the toll road just before Coimbatore marked towards Palaghat and exit on the Pollachi road) - Pollachi - Topslip - Parambikulam. Total distance was around 520kms approx one way.

On the way back, we did the pollachi-coimbatore-mettupalayam-ooty-blr route and it was almost double time, also because of breaks we took.

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
ampere, amolpol & pypkmsrikanth thanks a ton for the valuable inputs.

Now I have a minor issue here. A friend of mine has changed plans and now he intends to join us from Coimbatore. So what options do I have now? Hope I can somehow avoid that dreaded Avinashi section. It will be a mess, esp if it rains
Old 24th August 2011, 06:38   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
ampere, amolpol & pypkmsrikanth thanks a ton for the valuable inputs.

Now I have a minor issue here. A friend of mine has changed plans and now he intends to join us from Coimbatore. So what options do I have now? Hope I can somehow avoid that dreaded Avinashi section. It will be a mess, esp if it rains
Best then would be to ask him to report at Pollachi at a particular place for BF.
Two places that I can suggest:

1. Hotel Shakthi. Sakthi Hotels - Pollachi, Tamilnadu, India.
2. Nivetha Inn : Hotel Nivetha's Inn - Pollachi

He can easily come down there and you follow your regular course to hit Pollachi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks