Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2014, 09:18   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
- Is Belur - Hagare - Halebidu still a better bet than Belur - Halebidu via NH234?
- What's a better breakfast option? Kamat, Atithi or Mayura near BGS institute?
- Keeping in mind the afternoon sun and the hot temple complex floors, is it better to finish off Halebidu first thing in the morning or Belur?
- Vishnu regency was mentioned as one of the decent lunch options in Belur. Any word on Mayura Velapur and Sumukha?
I guess you would have started by now, however based on my travel last dec -
- I took Hagare Haleibidu road, it was in good condition and void of traffic. I have heard NH also is in good condition, so i guess it is just a matter of preference.
- Athiti was under renovation when we travelled, not sure of current status. We had breakfast from Kamat, a place best avoided. On way back stopped Mayura for snacks, clean place with good service.
- My suggeation is to finish off Halebidu firstsince it involves more time viewing architecture in the sun. Also, as it get late saw huge groups of tourists arriving,which may be bit inconvinent if you are a shutterbug.
- Based on reviews from TBHpian Parag we had went to Vishnu regency, food and service was good. They are supposed to be the best option. It is not a swanky place, but as per what I heard both other places too are similar.

Also, you may not be able to cover Shravanbelagola unless you start bit early and cover all places fast. Climb to hill is closed at 6.00 PM.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 11:00   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I guess you would have started by now, however based on my travel last dec -
- I took Hagare Haleibidu road, it was in good condition and void of traffic. I have heard NH also is in good condition, so i guess it is just a matter of preference.
- Athiti was under renovation when we travelled, not sure of current status. We had breakfast from Kamat, a place best avoided. On way back stopped Mayura for snacks, clean place with good service.
- My suggeation is to finish off Halebidu firstsince it involves more time viewing architecture in the sun. Also, as it get late saw huge groups of tourists arriving,which may be bit inconvinent if you are a shutterbug.
- Based on reviews from TBHpian Parag we had went to Vishnu regency, food and service was good. They are supposed to be the best option. It is not a swanky place, but as per what I heard both other places too are similar.
Thanks suhas for your inputs. Guess I posted my queries a bit too late in the day.

Here's my update;

- Stopped for breakfast at Swathi delicacy between Kunigal and Yediyur. It was on the other side so had to make a u-turn 200 metres ahead. Neat clean place, good food, and more importantly, clean restrooms. Since I had ladies and senior citiizens in the group, this was most welcome.
- Followed google maps thereafter for Halebidu. Left NH 48 to join SH 71E at a village called Boovanahalli. This led me onto Hassan ring road. Deviated off the ring road onto SH 21. From here on the road condition went from patchy, horrid to smooth.

For the first few kms, the road had some potholes at regular intervals, had to drive carefully but nothing alarming.

But with 12 kms left for Halebidu, the road just disappeared. My FIGO scrapped its bottom a couple of times inspite of me manouvering it in 1st gear. With rain water filling up the potholes, at times it was difficult to gauge their depth.
It was only in the last 3 kms that the tar finally showed up. Smooth all the way thereafter right upto the temple.

It was 12.45 by the time we finished going around the Halebidu temple. Had decided to drive to belur and try out Vishnu regency for lunch. Just as we drove out of the temple, we noticed Mayura Shanthala, right opposite the temple. Decided to give it a try. Food was decent. Nothing great but not bad either. If you stick to roti, dal, rice, you won't be disappointed.

From Halebidu, took the route via Hagare to Belur. Smooth roads, sparse traffic all the way. The Belur road after Hagare was simply superb.

After finishing site-seeing at Belur temple, took the Belur road back to Hassan. The last stretch of bad road was the Hassan - Gorur road to join Mangalore-Bangalore highway. Avoid if possible.
Old 22nd December 2014, 01:39   #78
BHPian

Hope that this is the right thread... looking for latest updates on the road condition between Bangalore - Hassan/Halebid, and recommended route.

Thinking of a 2 day trip. Shall be starting from HSR Lyt., with an aim of reaching Hassan by 10/11AM, with a breakfast pitstop somewhere! Unable to find any decent acco in Chikmagalur, so might make Hassan the base-camp and just do day-drive to Chikamagalur.

Will be skipping Shravanabelagola this time, but would like to do the history/heritage sites -- Belur, Halebid on day#1, keeping day#2 for Chikmagalur drive-around. What do you think ?

Here are 2 routes I am aware of, but uncertain as to what might be quickest & less stressful.

1) HSR Lyt -> NICE Hwy -> Nelamangala -> NH48 -> Kunigal -> Channarayapattana -> Hassan

2) HSR Lyt -> NICE Hwy -> Magadi -> NH48 -> Kunigal -> Channarayapattana -> Hassan

As for pit-stops, I read recommendations about: Atithi, Swagath... while Mayura and Kamath seem to be disliked by most people. This would be for breakfast and clean rest-rooms.
Old 22nd December 2014, 07:28   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
1) HSR Lyt -> NICE Hwy -> Nelamangala -> NH48 -> Kunigal -> Channarayapattana -> Hassan
2) HSR Lyt -> NICE Hwy -> Magadi -> NH48 -> Kunigal -> Channarayapattana -> Hassan
No Magadi road. Just take the 4-lane to Hassan. If you are starting early morning you dont even need to take NICE road. Take the ORR all the way to Tumkur road. It works much better while heading out early morning. You land right at the entrance of the elevated road. NICE is useful while coming back when traffic is high on the ORR.

Quote:
As for pit-stops, I read recommendations about: Atithi, Swagath... while Mayura and Kamath seem to be disliked by most people. This would be for breakfast and clean rest-rooms.
Swathi Delicacy just after Kunigal bypass is a nice place. But note its on the other side of the highway when heading towards Hassan.

As regards to Chikkamagulur, the place needs to be felt rather than driven past. Instead of Chikkamagulur, why not make it a perfect history holiday by visiting Shravanabelagola too? In my opinion that would be much better as compared to just driving to Chikkamagulur.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 07:33   #80
Senior - BHPian

If you are starting early morning, you can take option 2. The time taken to reach Kunigal will be pretty much same but it is like a stretch from olden days with greenery around. You can visit an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Someshwara built by Kempegowda in Magadi very close to the junction where you turn towards Kunigal. On the way to Belur after Hassan plan to visit Dodda Gaddavalli which is 4km off main road. There is a temple deidcated to goddess Lakshmi built by Hoysala kings with a very nice architecture. The roads are good all the way upto Belur.

Last edited by deehunk : 22nd December 2014 at 07:34.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 09:47   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

As usual, Headed to Belur-Chikmagalur on Saturday noon and returned the same night.

If heading towards Hassan, Mayura makes more sense than Swathi which is on the opposite side like ampere mentions. When People "Dislike" Mayura, it is more from VFM standpoint and nothing else. The food taste just like any other typical restaurant with no complaints as such.

In other words, Mayura has been hyped to glory right here and now this .

You can simply make this a day trip (if you want to) by starting at 5:30am and have the following plans -
  • Breakfast at Mayura at 7:30am
  • Shravanabelagola between 9:00 - 10:00am
  • Halebidu by 12:30pm
  • Belur by 2:00pm (Includes lunch)
  • Belavadi by 3:00pm (See pics below)
  • Chikmagalur by 4:30pm (A must visit to Town Canteen for Dosas)
  • Bangalore by 10:00pm

Belavadi is one of those not so famous tourist spots that has a Hoysala built temple. Called the Veeranarayana Temple, as per the claims of the Pujari here, Archaeological Survey of India has certified the deity of Krishna (Venugopala) here as one of the most charming across the country in terms of architecture, pose and intricate details.

This temple also house Ugranarasimha and Venugopala although the main deity if Veernarayana.

If you are covering Belur and Halebidu, Belavadi is worth the visit.

Due to ongoing roadworks on NH 234 and the prevalent conditions, I will advise the following circuit -

Hassan-Hagare-Halebidu-Hagare-Belur-Magadi Handpost (13 kms on Chikmagalur road)- Kalasapura - Belavadi- Magadi Handpost-Chikmagalur-Hassan

Note: Kalasapura is a very small town and Belavadi is only a village. Hence, expect no sanitation facilities here and plan your breaks either in Belur or Chikmagalur.

Some photos from Belavadi -
Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries-c360_20141220163911172.jpg

Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries-c360_20141220163629048.jpg

Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries-20141220_164237.jpg

Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries-20141220_165636.jpg

Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries-20141220_164030.jpg

Right next to the lane near the temple is another temple which has Ganesha idol in sleeping position and worth a visit as well.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 19:11   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
No Magadi road. Just take the 4-lane to Hassan. If you are starting early morning you dont even need to take NICE road. Take the ORR all the way to Tumkur road. It works much better while heading out early morning. You land right at the entrance of the elevated road. NICE is useful while coming back when traffic is high on the ORR..
Thanks for the answer... just a bit of clarification about the correct interpretation. Are you saying "No (to the route via Neelamangala) and advising to go via Magadi", or saying "No (don't take) Magadi Road" ? :-)

Also, I think I see your point about sticking to ORR, starting early in the morning, and taking NICE road on the way back !! Makes perfect sense.

Oh, and the point of Shravanabelagola... my plan was to go to the foot hill (never been there, but I picture it as a good sight even from the foot hills), pay my respects from terra-firma at sea-level :-) !! Nursing a knee injury and my younger one will want to be carried, so need to give it a pass... does it make sense to go to the foothills ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If you are covering Belur and Halebidu, Belavadi is worth the visit.
Belvadi looks beautiful... and I love places devoid of crowds.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd December 2014 at 12:39. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 22nd December 2014, 21:27   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the answer... just a bit of clarification about the correct interpretation. Are you saying "No (to the route via Neelamangala) and advising to go via Magadi", or saying "No (don't take) Magadi Road" ? :-)
Sorry for confusion. I said take the 4-lane both ways. Its much better. Magadi by no means is bad. But its quite twisty. If there are folks with motion sickness or kids, it can get tricky on the Magadi stretch. It also goes up and down.As against that 4-lane is simple and straight.

Other than that, what I wanted to mention was while heading out of Bangalore esp early morning from south Bangalore (like HSR) it much better to take the ORR all the way to Tumkur road, instead of going via NICE road. There is not much traffic early morning. By early morning I mean, you should be on the elevated road by 6:30/7. Beyond that ORR slowly starts getting crowded.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:23   #84
BHPian

Thanks @ampere.

This would be the first time I'd be taking Tumkur Road... had a little bit of confusion. Google maps (which I've learnt not to trust always) shows the left turn from Tumkur Road towards NH48 to go through the Neelamangala town, instead of a direct left... shown in the snapshot of google-maps. However, by selecting 2 way points very close to the turn, I did manage to have google-maps show a direct left turn. Is there any problem why one might not be able to take the left turn ?
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:28   #85
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any problem why one might not be able to take the left turn ?
From where are you getting on to Tumkur Road ?
Anyways, once on Tumkur Road, take the elevated road, get down pay the toll and few Km later you will see signage for Mangalore, now turn left onto the service road, about 500m ahead you will see the left turn. If you miss the service road, then there is a flyover above the NH 48 at the junction so you'd have to go further ahead to make a U-turn.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:35   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Anyways, once on Tumkur Road, take the elevated road, get down pay the toll and few Km later you will see signage for Mangalore, now turn left onto the service road, about 500m ahead you will see the left turn. If you miss the service road, then there is a flyover above the NH 48 at the junction so you'd have to go further ahead to make a U-turn.
From HSR Lyt via ORR. Thanks in anticipation @NPV.
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:50   #87
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Simplest would be to get to Hosur Road, take NICE Road and take the Tumkur Road exit. You can also take the ORR and merge on to Tumkur Road near CMTI (just before the elevated road starts).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 00:06   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Simplest would be to get to Hosur Road, take NICE Road and take the Tumkur Road exit. You can also take the ORR and merge on to Tumkur Road near CMTI (just before the elevated road starts).
Its not worth it NPV. You pay toll and early morning you dont gain too.

@bdutta As NPV mentioned, once on the elevated tolled road (I mean beyond Yeshwantpur), when you near Nelamangala, you will see a signguage stating Mangalore. Please note, the turning to left is right there. Hence you cant afford to be on a different lane. If so you may have to go ahead and come back.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 08:18   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Its pretty simple. The first exit from the elevated section is for "Nelamangala".
The second exit comes soon after crossing the Toll booth (for oncoming lane) and is marked for "Mangalore" and "Nelamangala" again.

If you miss this, you can still take a left Handed U Turn after getting down the elevated section and come back from the service road. It is legal.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 08:48   #90
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd December 2014 at 14:22.
bdutta is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed