Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2014, 18:57   #91
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries

On the way back from Hassan via NH-48, are there any key land-marks to watch-out for, so that I don't miss the NICE road for going towards Electronic City ? On Google maps, I see at least 2 loops to get into the NICE road.

Also, for the onward journey (towards Hassan), for HSR Lyt to Tumkur Road (to go to Neelamangala) leg, is it advisable to take the ORR via BTM > JP Nagar > Banashankari > Nandhini Layout route or the ORR via Marthahalli > Mahadevpura > Hebbal route ? The distance difference as per map is just 6-7 odd Kms, but somehow, I feel the one side via Marthahalli > Mahadevpura > Hebbal is much smoother (wider roads, fewer humps etc.) ! Since this would be at 6/6:30AM (or earlier) in the morning... least stressful driving would be the objective.

Last edited by bdutta : 23rd December 2014 at 19:09. Reason: extending the question
Old 23rd December 2014, 20:19   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
On the way back from Hassan via NH-48, are there any key land-marks to watch-out for, so that I don't miss the NICE road for going towards Electronic City ? On Google maps, I see at least 2 loops to get into the NICE road.
After NH48, you will reach a junction (Flyover across) where you turn right and after driving on this service lane for a few hundred meters, you enter onto the main corridor.

Pay toll here (20/-) and the NICE Exit is the Second Exit after paying the toll. The first exit comes soon after paying the toll which is for Nelamangala.

Easy way to remember this - You will first Cross "Himalaya" Factory on the right followed by an IOCL station on the left (Below on the service road. As soon as you cross this station, stay left and the next exit is the NICE Exit.

Quote:
Also, for the onward journey (towards Hassan), for HSR Lyt to Tumkur Road (to go to Neelamangala) leg, is it advisable to take the ORR via BTM > JP Nagar > Banashankari > Nandhini Layout route or the ORR via Marthahalli > Mahadevpura > Hebbal route ? The distance difference as per map is just 6-7 odd Kms, but somehow, I feel the one side via Marthahalli > Mahadevpura > Hebbal is much smoother (wider roads, fewer humps etc.) ! Since this would be at 6/6:30AM (or earlier) in the morning... least stressful driving would be the objective.
Well, from HSR you can still consider city route via Koramangala - Adugodi - Chinnaswamy Stadium - Chalukya Hotel - Sankey Road - IISc - Yeshwantpur - Goreguntepalya - NTBL option. Will hardly take an hour at max to reach here.

DO NOT take the Marathalli-Hebbal option. You can get stuck big time at the Railway crossing after Hebbal/BEL Circle and the detour to avoid this via Gangamma circle is not something that you will be easily able to manage for the first time.

If you still want to stick to ORR, take the Nandhini Lay-out option.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 21:38   #93
BHPian

MorePower wrote:
Quote:
- Stopped for breakfast at Swathi delicacy between Kunigal and Yediyur. It was on the other side so had to make a u-turn 200 metres ahead. Neat clean place, good food, and more importantly, clean restrooms. Since I had ladies and senior citiizens in the group, this was most welcome.
- Followed google maps thereafter for Halebidu. Left NH 48 to join SH 71E at a village called Boovanahalli. This led me onto Hassan ring road. Deviated off the ring road onto SH 21. From here on the road condition went from patchy, horrid to smooth.
If one does take a U-turn to stop at Swathi, I presume one can rejoin back the NH-48 easily ? The google maps suggested way seems to be a rat-trap ! What say ?
Old 23rd December 2014, 23:09   #94
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If one does take a U-turn to stop at Swathi, I presume one can rejoin back the NH-48 easily ? The google maps suggested way seems to be a rat-trap ! What say ?
No confusion at all for Swathi Delicacy.
It is on the right side of the 4 laned NH 48 itself. There is a break in the median before and after Swathi. I have seen people turn at the first break in the median and then go on the wrong side, there is lot of open space beyond the driving lanes also. But I never do this and wouldn't recommend doing this.

The second break in the median is about 100-200m after Swathi so make a U-turn here and reach the place. To get back, take the other break in the median for another U-turn, this is just perfect and you're never driving on the wrong side
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 01:31   #95
BHPian

How much time would it take, to drive from Belur to Chikamagalur to do some coffee-plantation / gentle green rolling-hill driving-around and be back in Belur ? Any suggested route ? Note that I have no wish/inclination to drive up mountain roads for view points etc. (that's left for another time perhaps).

Idea is to start from Belur at around 2PM, and be back in Belur by 5:00PM max, s.t. I can get back to hotel at Hassan by 6:30PM'ish.
Old 24th December 2014, 09:30   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How much time would it take, to drive from Belur to Chikamagalur to do some coffee-plantation / gentle green rolling-hill driving-around and be back in Belur ? Any suggested route ? Note that I have no wish/inclination to drive up mountain roads for view points etc. (that's left for another time perhaps).

Idea is to start from Belur at around 2PM, and be back in Belur by 5:00PM max, s.t. I can get back to hotel at Hassan by 6:30PM'ish.
Coffee plantation start after Belur within 10 kms distance on the following roads out of Belur-
1. Towards Mudigere after Tholalu
2. Towards Arehalli
3. Towards Gendehalli

Belur Hassan or Belur Chikmagalur roads do not have any coffee plantations enroute.

If you just want to drive on a road with Coffee plantations around, simply take the Mudigere road, drive till Jannapura and come back to Belur.

If you drive to Chikmagalur, it takes 30 minutes to drive till here. Coffee plantations are on Mudigere road and Road leading to Mulayanagiri and not exactly in Chikmagalur town.

So taking Belur Mudigere road makes sense. Expect no Hotels here and coming back to Belur is saner.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th December 2014 at 09:31.
Old 24th December 2014, 13:09   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Coffee plantation start after Belur within 10 kms distance on the following roads out of Belur-

<snip>

If you just want to drive on a road with Coffee plantations around, simply take the Mudigere road, drive till Jannapura and come back to Belur.
Since I need to get back to Hassan for the night stay, would the route shown in the google-map (attached) be the recommended one ? Since the route from Jannapura to Hassan is part of NH-48, I'd assume it to be good. Right ?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries-belur_jannapurasakleshpur_hassan.png  

Old 24th December 2014, 13:33   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since I need to get back to Hassan for the night stay, would the route shown in the google-map (attached) be the recommended one ? Since the route from Jannapura to Hassan is part of NH-48, I'd assume it to be good. Right ?
You should take the regular Hassan-Belur road. Its nicely tarred. There are humps though.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 15:35   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Not any more (Nicely tarred) as the road surface has chipped off many places from Hassan for the next 7 kilometers that will keep your pace low.

Of course, 16 kms of this road (Between Hassan and Hagare) itself has got a new layer of asphalt few months before.

The speed breakers are at the following locations -
  • Soon after Thanneruhalla at the Housing Board Layout (1.5 kms from Thanneruhalla)
  • While crossing Kuppali Village (7 kms from Thanneruhalla)
  • At the beginning of curves before Kalkere (11 kms from Thanneruhalla)
  • Right at Kaklere (12-13 kms from Thanneruhalla)
  • While crossing Angadihalli (16 kms from Thanneruhalla)

Also, the route from Jannapura to Hassan is not part of NH48. It is on the road that connects NH48 to NH234. Jannapura that I am referring to is Jannapura Cross to be precise.

Anyways, take the same route back due to the road conditions.
Old 24th December 2014, 19:29   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Also, the route from Jannapura to Hassan is not part of NH48. It is on the road that connects NH48 to NH234. Jannapura that I am referring to is Jannapura Cross to be precise.
Thanks, will do that. Is this "Jannapura Cross" somewhere on the road between Belur and Jannapura (near Sakleshpur) ? The only other Jannapura was close to Bhadravathi, and I'm guessing this isn't the one. Didn't find any 'Jannapura Cross' on map.

BTW, paragsachania, you seem to know this area like the back of your palm... every little hump, turn and bad patch! Wow. I presume you've traveled around this place very extensively.
Old 12th February 2016, 18:53   #101
BHPian

Hi,

Planning to go to Halebidu, Belur from Bangalore HSR Layout, any suggestions on the best route to take?

Thinking of this route https://goo.gl/maps/8xAADXJgHtm, went through the previous posts, but they seem to be a year or more old.

Would appreciate if could get some recent insights.

Planning to leave early and be back by evening, hope it is do-able.

Regards
Shailesh
Old 12th February 2016, 19:51   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Hi,

Planning to go to Halebidu, Belur from Bangalore HSR Layout, any suggestions on the best route to take?

Thinking of this route https://goo.gl/maps/8xAADXJgHtm, went through the previous posts, but they seem to be a year or more old.

Would appreciate if could get some recent insights.

Planning to leave early and be back by evening, hope it is do-able.

Regards
Shailesh
Halebidu 1st-
Bangalore Hassan Hagare Halebidu Hagare Belur Hassan Bangalore

Belur 1st-
Bangalore Hassan Hagare Belur Hagare Halebidu Hagare Hassan Bangalore

The road conditons between Belur and Halebidu are still bad.

And yes, very easily doable in a day I'd it's just Belur and Halebidu.

Hagare is basically a turn off point between Hassan and Belur to go to Halebidu. Helebidu is 10 kms from Hagare. When driving from Hassan to Belur you will encounter this small town 20 kms after Hassan and will see a clear signage in green on a tall post indicating directions for Halebidu.

So to go to Belur from Halebidu, you again drive back 10 kms to this point(Hagare) and drive to Belur which is 16 kms from here.

Caution- At each and every curve that you get on this road (Hassan to Belur) stick to the left and don't attempt overtaking. Few curves have medians that appear all of a sudden only at the begining of these curves.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th February 2016 at 19:54.
Old 19th February 2016, 19:40   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Halebidu 1st-
Bangalore Hassan Hagare Halebidu Hagare Belur Hassan Bangalore

Belur 1st-
Bangalore Hassan Hagare Belur Hagare Halebidu Hagare Hassan Bangalore

The road conditons between Belur and Halebidu are still bad.

And yes, very easily doable in a day I'd it's just Belur and Halebidu.

Hagare is basically a turn off point between Hassan and Belur to go to Halebidu. Helebidu is 10 kms from Hagare. When driving from Hassan to Belur you will encounter this small town 20 kms after Hassan and will see a clear signage in green on a tall post indicating directions for Halebidu.
Thanks so much Parag, could not do the trip last week, by the look of things most likely will be starting tomorrow morning.

Will be starting from HSR layout, need to know whether there is any time slot to look out for reaching the temple, like the main temple deity door closed at some time, or are the temples open throughout the day, which I highly doubt.

I am keen on visiting Belawadi also, really liked the pics you posted earlier.

Please suggest the ideal time to start so that we don't regret not being able to see the main deity, will be driving at around 80 or so, with stop for breakfast en route.

BTW any shell petrol pump on the way or back?

Please advise.
Shailesh
Old 19th February 2016, 19:51   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
need to know whether there is any time slot to look out for reaching the temple, like the main temple deity door closed at some time, or are the temples open throughout the day, which I highly doubt.
The Temple will remain open all day till 0700PM. However the main deity door would be closed for 2 reasons. One of the daily reasons is during the usual mangalarti around 10:00AM & 6:30PM and the other would be if someone is getting an Abhishekha done. Being a weekend, you may as well expect the second reason but again even with that event, you will still be able to see the main deity after a wait of not more than 30 minutes.

Anyway, since I hail from Belur, I can confidently say that this is not a typical temple that would make you wait for a darshan unless its the usual annual fair in the month of April-May.

So go ahead with your planned visit and have a safe one. Just make sure you reach here when there is adequate sunlight so that you can really witness the beauty out of those carvings all around the temple. Hire a guide, thats the first thing I would suggest. There is a lot you will learn from that.

Quote:
I am keen on visiting Belawadi also, really liked the pics you posted earlier.
You can always accommodate Belavadi. It is not more than an hour's drive from Belur. You need to turn right after driving around 15 kms towards Chikmagalur (Place is called Magadi Handpost) and pass Kalasapura and reach Belavadi.

Quote:
Please suggest the ideal time to start so that we don't regret not being able to see the main deity, will be driving at around 80 or so, with stop for breakfast en route.
A good time to start would be between 5:30 and 6:00 AM. That way, you can manage Belur - Belevadi - Halebidu in one shot and return to Bangalore by leaving from Halebidu around 5:00 - 6:00PM.

Quote:
BTW any shell petrol pump on the way or back?
Not even a single Shell Bunk all along. However, you can rely on IOCL Station attached to CCD at Udyapura (This is attached to Kamat Restaurant). They accept cards and the station is reliable.

A full tank of Petrol from Bangalore, A total trip of around 575 kms from HSR would mean that you only need to top up a bit on your return.

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th February 2016 at 19:59.
Old 21st February 2016, 15:10   #105
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries

Quote:
The Temple will remain open all day till 0700PM. However the main deity door would be closed for 2 reasons. One of the daily reasons is during the usual mangalarti around 10:00AM & 6:30PM and the other would be if someone is getting an Abhishekha done. Being a weekend, you may as well expect the second reason but again even with that event, you will still be able to see the main deity after a wait of not more than 30 minutes.

A full tank of Petrol from Bangalore, A total trip of around 575 kms from HSR would mean that you only need to top up a bit on your return.
Quote:

A good time to start would be between 5:30 and 6:00 AM. That way, you can manage Belur - Belevadi - Halebidu in one shot and return to Bangalore by leaving from Halebidu around 5:00 - 6:00PM.

Not even a single Shell Bunk all along. However, you can rely on IOCL Station attached to CCD at Udyapura (This is attached to Kamat Restaurant). They accept cards and the station is reliable.

Hi Parag,

Had a wonderful trip to Belur, Halebidu and Belavadi, beatiful places, Started around 6 from HSR reached at 10:30 with a breakfast break at Swathy.
The roads were good till Hassan, from there to Belur, were OK kinds, Belur to Halebidu was horrible in stretches, the road sections were made by different panchayats it seems !

I am glad to have read your post about Belavadi, it is another 16 kms from Belur, but the roads are a lot better.
From Belawadi followed Navi maps and touched the Highway, after covering a distance of about 30kms, had a break at A2B at the other side of the road, at around 4,with an hour of driving.

I almost ran out of petrol, as i was postponing filling up, just because I was doing a good speed! This was way against my better halfs advice, and then it was my gut feel and calculation, the reserve in elite i20 kicks in at 7 litres, so could cover max 105 kms in my calculations, was doing a steady 60-70 on the left side of the NICE road.

Was expecting to run out of petrol any moment, had a backup plan of asking my SIL to come with a litre of petrol in a uber .

This stupid decision of mine was the only bad thing about the whole trip, luckily we reached Shell Bomanahalli, and on tankup the cutoff happened at 42.5 litres, did topup till 44.5, thanked our stars and reached home around 7

Will never ever repeat this thing of not filling up when required.

Have attached some pics, special thanks to Parag and everyone else who had posted useful information regarding this.

At Halebidu, the parking charge was 50, after coming back saw some idiot had banged his car door on mine, some visible scratch is there on the other wise shiny red paint. :(

Would highly recommend a visit to these temples, so much to learn.
Apart from Nice road, thankfully all the tolls were two way tolls!

Regards
Shailesh
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries-dsc_0542.jpg  

Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries-dsc_0547.jpg  

Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries-dsc_0572.jpg  

Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries-dsc_0581.jpg  

Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries-dsc_0584.jpg  

Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries-dsc_0585.jpg  

Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries-dsc_0596.jpg  

Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries-dsc_0639.jpg  

Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries-img_4913.jpg