Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2010, 19:41   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries

Hi All,
Need a route check on a one day trip from Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur - Mysore - Bangalore.

Plan is to start from Bangalore at 6 AM 10th September reach Shravanabelagola and then to Halebidu, Belur visit temples and reach mysore by 9-10 PM and halt in mysore.

1) Please see attached screenshot and let me know if this is the best route.
2) Need to know the temple time in Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur
3) Good place of lunch @ Halebidu ?
4) After visiting these places can I reach mysore by 10 PM ?

Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebidu - Belur : Route Queries-trip.jpg

Regards,
Ranjith
Old 25th August 2010, 20:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you leave Bangalore bit early if possible say 5 AM. You can reach shravanbelagola by 8 AM, have breakfast and then climb up and come down before 11.30 AM. Shravanabelagola climbing up, temple visit, photography, temple visit would take about 3 hours

Journey from Shravanbelagola till Belur would be about an hour and half atlest. You can have your lunch at Hassan in between and then proceed to Belur as well (say by 2 PM) Belur (parking, buying tickets, engaging a guide, going through all the explanation, taking pictures a bit relaxing etc would need 2 hours minimum (by 4 PM)

Journey time from Belur to Halebidu is about 30-45 minutes. Halebidu would take approx an hour minimum, including the museum and temple. If you want to relax on the lawn there it might take longer, trust me it is very tempting. (leave by 6 PM)

Halebidu to Hassan would be another 45 minutes. No good place for lunch/dinner at Belur as well as Halebidu
You need to come to Hassan for a decent place.

journey time is predictable avg distance of 60-65 KM per hour if you are a decent driver & not having "speed" as middle name.

Your google route map seems to be okay.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 25th August 2010 at 20:17.
Old 25th August 2010, 21:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ If its Veg, Belur does have a couple of decent restaurants for Lunch and Dinner - Vishnu Regency (Biccodu Road), Sumukha Regency (Main Road) and Vishnu Prasad - All these 3 offer South Indian as well as north Indian cuisine.

Hassan has plenty like Suvrana Regency, Shree Krishna (both Beg) and Jewel Rock (Veg/NV).

Parking tickets in Belur is passe' now!

@ranjith.rajaram: Two things from my side:

The route shown is OK but you can hit Belur and then Halebidu and then take the road to Hagare (Which is 10 kms from Halebidu) and will hit the Belur-Hassan Road from where Hassan is 20 Kms. This is usually the preferred route.

Don't take the Hassan bypass to reach Belur Road and instead I would suggest you to take the route through the city and take right to Join Belur road at Hassan outskirts at Thanneeruhalla. This is because all those roads taking you into Hassan city from the bypass are in worst condition and taking the route through the city makes a lot of sense with just 10-15 additional minutes.
Old 25th August 2010, 21:37   #4
MX6
Senior - BHPian

What are you doing in Bangalore - Belur - Halebid - Mysore circuit? I thought you were in Pune.
Old 25th August 2010, 21:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

My friends just drove to Belur-Halebidu and Shravanabelagola and then Mysore and reported good roads. Sri Krishna is a good restaurant in Hassan. KSTC also has a hotel in Belur. The earlier you reach Shravanabelagola the better since it can be very hot climbing up the Shravanabelagola hill the higher the sun rises.

To avoid the messy Yeswantpura-Nelamangala sector, you should take what is now the favourite Magadi-Kunigal route to reach Nh48.

I think the Chennakeshava temple at Belur may be closed some time at midday.
Old 25th August 2010, 22:23   #6
Team-BHP Support

Dont you want to go via Magadi rather than Nelamangala?
Also as MX asked, what are you doing in Bangalore?
Old 25th August 2010, 22:23   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
My friends just drove to Belur-Halebidu and Shravanabelagola and then Mysore and reported good roads. Sri Krishna is a good restaurant in Hassan. KSTC also has a hotel in Belur. The earlier you reach Shravanabelagola the better since it can be very hot climbing up the Shravanabelagola hill the higher the sun rises.

To avoid the messy Yeswantpura-Nelamangala sector, you should take what is now the favourite Magadi-Kunigal route to reach Nh48.

I think the Chennakeshava temple at Belur may be closed some time at midday.
The KSTDC Hotel or the Mayura Velapuri as it is called is a bad place for food and is now a favorite booze joint for locals.(If on a sunday, they prepare proper food as the KSTDC bus stops here with tourists regularly)

Chennakeshava Temple closes at 7-30pm after the Mangalaarati between 6:30-7:00pm.

Kunigal-Nelemangala stretch of NH4 isn't that bad at all today except for a few speedbreakers depending on the vehicle as well the final destination in Bangalore(North or South).

Due to an almost completion of the tolled bridges the stretch till NICE can be covered faster than before now but would totally depend on luck if the bridges are left open when you are driving.

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th August 2010 at 22:28.
Old 25th August 2010, 23:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Like HVK mentioned its the main door inside the temple where Lord Chennakeshava stands that is closed during in the noon but the temple premises still remains open till 7:30pm. Meantime you spend an hour or more easily looking at the sculptures and carvings till it opens for darshan.
Old 26th August 2010, 10:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
What are you doing in Bangalore - Belur - Halebid - Mysore circuit? I thought you were in Pune.
Hey MS, I am still in Pune. Doing a family trip on September 10,11 so I will be in Bangalore between September 9 to 12.
Old 26th August 2010, 10:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

For lunch I would suggest , Hoysala Village resort (Belur Road, Just after Hassan)
Nice place, good food too. But slightly expensive
Old 26th August 2010, 11:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

At Halebid, don't just limit yourself to the main temple (Hoysaleshwara). There's another smaller and similarly ornate Kedareshwara temple just next door. The guides only do the Hoysaleshwara temple.

There is a nice Jain temple also next to it. The temple will smell of bats, but the pillars and carvings are beautiful if I remember rightly. See if you can get a guide to show you around. Sadly these are usually neglected by tourists who only flock to the main temple.

I suggest you leave as early as possible from Bangalore. Do not rush through Belur and Halebid if you are delayed. They are beautiful temples and you will definitely need a guide to explain the various sculptures and their significance.

Take a view at the higher levels in the temple and temple gopuram and you will see sculptures similar to the ones you get to see in Khajuraho! The temples were learning centres for conjugal life as well.

I would prefer that you stay in Hassan for the night and leave for Mysore early morning. If you are late, night travel is not particularly safe. I've seen too many accidents in the Hassan sector.

If you are traveling as a family its better to do it in a more relaxed manner to enjoy our history and temples better.
Old 26th August 2010, 11:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Dont you want to go via Magadi rather than Nelamangala? Also as MX asked, what are you doing in Bangalore?
If the roads in Magadi are better than Nelamangala no issues for me taking this route and I guess going by the distance its the same say about 161 KMs on either route.
Old 26th August 2010, 11:23   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
I suggest you leave as early as possible from Bangalore. Do not rush through Belur and Halebid if you are delayed. They are beautiful temples and you will definitely need a guide to explain the various sculptures and their significance.

I would prefer that you stay in Hassan for the night and leave for Mysore early morning. If you are late, night travel is not particularly safe. I've seen too many accidents in the Hassan sector.

If you are traveling as a family its better to do it in a more relaxed manner to enjoy our history and temples better.
Great info here csentil I will have this in my mind.
Old 26th August 2010, 11:24   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Would also depend on where you will stay in Bangalore during your visit. If staying in South Bangalore areas, Magadi Road works for you else the good old NH48 from Nelamangala isn't that bad either.

There have been developments on the Nelamangala - Bangalore stretch now that the Jams have lessened. Apart from these, bridges are open most of the times and this saves time as well. Since you are here in september, officially all the bridges will be open for traffic.
Old 26th August 2010, 11:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
There have been developments on the Nelamangala - Bangalore stretch now that the Jams have lessened. Apart from these, bridges are open most of the times and this saves time as well. Since you are here in september, officially all the bridges will be open for traffic.
My friend took 2.5 hours to travel 18 kms from Nelamangala to Jalahalli junction 3-4 days ago!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks