Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2012, 23:11   #1276
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
That's doable very much because the average speed drops down drastically only in high traffic areas like Pune bypass and entry to Mumbai. If you are able to pass these areas at the time of relatively low traffic, it is a breeze!

I averaged about 93kmph in one of my drives from Bangalore to Mumbai. I left at 3:15 am and touched Pune at about 1:00 pm and Navi Mumbai at 2:30pm. At these times, the highways are almost empty and I crossed both easily, touching Mulund in about 12 hours, including 3 breaks totaling 1 hour 15 minutes. One thing though -- for these times, you have to be constantly driving at ~110-120kmph for most of the journey.
I wasn't telling its possible but merely calculating the average kms clocked every hour considering all the diversions. The best time to leave Bangalore for Mumbai is undoubtedly 4am and that works marvelously well from all sense.But 10 hours all inclusive in present road conditions I mentioned in earlier post calls for some really aggressive driving in few stretches.

Its not too difficult a task to maintain that average if you are able to leave on the said timings where you would actually be averaging almost 100kmph for the first 5 hours easily.

In June this year, I and my friend traveled from our north Bangalore home till Vashi (Palm Beach Road) and D2D we could manage the show in 11:30 hours including breakfast, refueling & lunch breaks. We had left home at 4:30am and reached Vashi home at 4:00pm.

And trust me, this has got absolutely nothing to do with any car. Its plain and usual law of average speeds and getting the best out of it..

My best average speeds has always been in my faithful tallboy even today and more than 40% of its current ODO of 188,000 is on NH4 alone!

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th December 2012 at 23:17.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 00:19   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I wasn't telling its possible but merely calculating the average kms clocked every hour considering all the diversions. The best time to leave Bangalore for Mumbai is undoubtedly 4am and that works marvelously well from all sense.But 10 hours all inclusive in present road conditions I mentioned in earlier post calls for some really aggressive driving in few stretches.
I agree, 10 hours all inclusive would really be pushing the limits. Anything lesser than that will be dangerous for everyone else on the road!

Quote:
And trust me, this has got absolutely nothing to do with any car. Its plain and usual law of average speeds and getting the best out of it..
Absolutely, averages have nothing to do with the car but how smartly you are able to manage the average speed.

Quote:
WOW!!! 10 Hours to do a Distance of 975 kms (From NTBL Toll booth) converts to an average of 97.5 Kmph which is Phenomenal average considering that:
  • Starting from NTBL, 16 Toll booths till Pune-Mumbai Expressway (at least 20 minutes for all)
  • At least 19 Diversions from Tumkur till Chitradurga
  • 2 Diversions Between Satara and Pune
  • The crawling 30-40kmph speeds at various sections of Pune Bypass itself
  • 2 Breaks that you took for snacks at Kolhapur and Panvel (20 minutes each, converts to 40 minutes in all)
You can add the two lane Hubli-Dharwad bypass to that list of challenges!
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:13   #1278
NAK

Hi - I am planning to do a trip tonight from Dombivali to Bangalore and planning to start at 10 pm. Need some advice whether night driving would be fine through the usual GQ route? I have never done night driving before and did the Bangalore to Mumbai route through multiple stopovers of few days. Looking for suggestions. Thanks.
Old 5th January 2013, 02:03   #1279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAK View Post
Hi - I am planning to do a trip tonight from Dombivali to Bangalore and planning to start at 10 pm. Need some advice whether night driving would be fine through the usual GQ route? I have never done night driving before and did the Bangalore to Mumbai route through multiple stopovers of few days. Looking for suggestions. Thanks.
Go Ahead. Its all safe on NH4 at nights and you can easily do this without much bother.

In case you want to refuel in Karnataka, make sure you do that before Dharwad at many BPCL and IOCL COCO outlets than trying to look around for a reliable (and functional) fuel station post midnight between Hubli and Chitradurga.

There may not be much options for you to break for snacks and tea and hence please rely on tapri shops at the entrance/exit of every toll booth.

Be advised about speedbreakers, fortunately all of them are well marked now.

There are rumblers (freshly laid 2 days back at the same location) soon after Hirebagewadi toll (70/-) with flashing lamp post and enough signage.

Same is the case with another huge one just before Harihar Bypass.

So, please pay attention to signage and flashing lights on the median at night.

Between Chitradurga and Tumkur 6 lane work has resulted in around 19-20 diversions onto service lane but each of these is well marked. Ensure you slow down at each of these diversions as a couple of them have speedbreakers before you get diverted and a few of them have speedbreakers on the service lanes as well. Overall, good markings make this an easy task to manage at night. Also, flash lights to signal overtaking on these diversions and you would normally see that truckers make way for you even on the narrow service lanes.

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th January 2013 at 02:04.
Old 5th January 2013, 14:46   #1280

Just came back from Vasai-Bangalore (1050 kms) & return trip with my better half, two days back. For a non-regular driver (only 13k kms in my 2.5 yr old Jazz), with my farthest travel being to Pune & back....this was a long desired trip. And boy was it wonderful! Thanks @paragsachania, @HVK & the rest of the BHPians for all the helpful posts. felt a sense of deja vu when I experienced the drive

Started 6 am from Vasai, reached Mayur Adithya resort at around 3 pm (on Dharwar-Hubli road a few kms off the highway), rested for the night, started 7.30 am next day and reached Kundalahalli (Bangalore east) just around 3. Nothing eventful except noting that the best highway drivers in terms of common sensical driving are the truckers & not the private vehicle owners (my personal opinion).

For the return, we started at 6 am and reached Kolhapur (Rayson Regency) at 3 pm. next day we started at 7 and reached home (Vasai) at 1 pm.

By my amateur calculation the Jazz consumed 71 litres of Petrol to Bangalore..and slightly lesser while coming back (maybe the averages were better coming back???).

Special note for newbies: 1) BEWARE of the 2-wheelers coming from the opposite direction when going into the diversions mentioned in the thread. Was shocked to see people almost demanding right of way on the right side when we are entering the diversion completely blind sided...fortunately my speeds were regulated due to the wife being onboard...or else...

2) Young couples will face some doubts from hotels regarding status of relationship...we were shown a shady love nest type of room @Orient Crown in Kolhapur...rejected it and stayed at Rayson (which by the way was really expensive but atleast decent).

3) very basic but things like stocking up some food & drinks will help if you are wary of consuming roadside stuff.
Old 11th January 2013, 18:14   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Between Chitradurga and Tumkur 6 lane work has resulted in around 19-20 diversions onto service lane but each of these is well marked.
I am headed to Pondi from Pune and breaking in Bangalore. These diversions are these from your latest trip.

Possible break @Kolhapur and maybe the reliance pit stop near Hubli. Any cult eating places which should not be missed on the Pune - Bangalore stretch.
Old 12th January 2013, 12:14   #1282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshr View Post
I am headed to Pondi from Pune and breaking in Bangalore. These diversions are these from your latest trip.

Possible break @Kolhapur and maybe the reliance pit stop near Hubli. Any cult eating places which should not be missed on the Pune - Bangalore stretch.
Yes, I have almost driven every month on NH4 latest being Jan1 -Jan3 (Dec 8th and Dec 15th again). So the update is 'fresh'

For Cult places on food, you may really need to push you (and your car) inside the towns and Cities. There are many right from Kolhapur to Belgaum's Ramdev Hotel meals, Dharwad Khanavali, Davanegere Butter(benne) Dosas and Tumkur's Thatte Idlies.
You may want to explore these options depending on time.
Its easier to enter and exit Davanegere for Benne Dosas or relishing on Idlies on Tumkur Bypass itself. Rest all are inside the city/town.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th January 2013 at 12:19.
Old 20th January 2013, 17:26   #1283
BHPian

Yup. I counted about 10 diversions between satara and pune. And almost 15 diversions between chitradurga and tumkur. As usual lots of traffic in and around kolhapur and karad.

Onwards
1st break at kolhapur. Some place called visawa snacks, this was after kolphapur had just passed. Its right next to hotel girija. Serves one hell of a misal.
2nd break before chittadurga toll. Quick stop of narayal pani.
3rd break just before tumkur for a refuel. Wanted to tank up, had used up a little more than half of the tank. Calculated an average of 18.4.
Took the tumkur dobaspet, air port route, as destination was yelehanka. In totality with the breaks and the damn diversions, took me around 12 hours.

On the way back, had to stop at tumkur couldn't miss the tatte idli. Then at davangere for a short cofee break. Lunch at dharwad took a long break at my relatives place. Took around 2.5 hours from dharwad to kolhapur.
Again misal at kolhapur. With the extended break and lots of traffic took about 14hours, and with an average of 19.6.
Old 20th January 2013, 19:15   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshr
1st break at kolhapur. Some place called visawa snacks, this was after kolphapur had just passed. Its right next to hotel girija. Serves one hell of a misal.

Again misal at kolhapur. took about 14hours, and with an average of 19.6.
You seem to be impressed with the Misal.Any more precise pointera that you might have on the location of this place would be helpful.Thanks a ton
Old 1st February 2013, 14:18   #1285
BHPian

This may have been discussed before but I am not able to dig it out. I need to drive down to Mumbai from Bangalore and this would be my first drive to Mumbai. My final destination will be Borivali so I need to know the road directions to Borivali after entering Mumbai. I am planning to start at 5am from Bangalore so hoping to enter Mumbai ( Panvel-Belapur) at around 8-9 pm. Would Belapur-Thane-Ghodbhunder Road be the best option and if yes, can someone let me know the exact directions?
Old 1st February 2013, 17:05   #1286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
can someone let me know the exact directions?
What I usually do is :

Turbhe - Airoli - Airoli Bridge - Mulund - Powai - Goregaon or Andheri - Western Express

Something on the lines of :

Link
santoshr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 17:31   #1287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This may have been discussed before but I am not able to dig it out. I need to drive down to Mumbai from Bangalore and this would be my first drive to Mumbai. My final destination will be Borivali so I need to know the road directions to Borivali after entering Mumbai. I am planning to start at 5am from Bangalore so hoping to enter Mumbai ( Panvel-Belapur) at around 8-9 pm. Would Belapur-Thane-Ghodbhunder Road be the best option and if yes, can someone let me know the exact directions?
No Thane is definitely not a good option at that time.We drive regularly from Hyd to IC Colony,Borivali and we take the Vashi Bridge-Right turn towards Deonar-Eastern Expressway-Mulund-Powai-JVLR-Western Expressway-Goregaon-Keep on the highway till just before the Dahisar Check naka-Go beside the flyover and take a left followed by a right onto the Link Road and then go into Borivali.This way you avoid the station congestion as well.

http://goo.gl/maps/JfBNc
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 17:57   #1288
BHPian

Thanks Guys. Its then either the Vashi bridge or the Airoli bridge. Are there any strong reasons for taking either of them?
Old 1st February 2013, 18:18   #1289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guys. Its then either the Vashi bridge or the Airoli bridge. Are there any strong reasons for taking either of them?
Have taken both,hardly any difference,I found the Vashi Bridge-Deonar route to be faster till Mulund signal(could be a case of being plain lucky as well)
Old 4th February 2013, 13:26   #1290

If you are reaching Vashi around 8 or 9 pm, it will be the peak truck traffic time. Just now there is concrete work going on just before reaching Airoli bridge and there is work commenced for widening the road from Nerul till Vashi and hence there is a jam there too. Post Vashi bridge at the point where you have to turn right (i.e. towards west) so as to pass Mankhurd and on to Eastern Express Highway, a flyover construction is in progress. Hence, I would recommend you to turn off the Panvel-Sion road at CBD Belapur where you will see CIDCO office and then connect through Palm Beach road, turn near Vashi railway station and go through Vashi bridge, cross Octroi point and then pray that the traffic at the point where you have to turn right is not congested. Turning into Eastern Express Highway is a bit messy then on till the point where you turn left towards IIT, Powai is fine. Post IIT till you reach Western Express Highway, past Powai Lake, L&T, Seepz etc. you will generally encounter traffic. If you reach on a Sunday evening you will generally zip through. Safe driving :-)

Most Viewed