Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2016, 13:13   #2041
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Hello all - I'm planning Bangalore-Mahabaleshwar by bike next weekend (2 riders 2 bikes - Suzuki Gixxer SF and Honda Unicorn). Planning to leave BLR by early afternoon, night halt by around 7-8PM(looking for suggestions), leave next morning to Mahabaleshwar to reach in the afternoon.

Currently it looks like the BLR-Satara road condition is good. Looking for any advice for this bike ride:
1) Suggestion of safe,budget Night Halt - Belagavi/Kolhapur or around ?
2) Any Gotchas for this trip for a Bike ride ?
3) Are there tolls on this stretch for bikes ?

Thanks !
Old 19th December 2016, 13:50   #2042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game_of_Roads View Post
Sankam Residency at Belgaum (https://goo.gl/maps/hPNFLJu4uQ92) if in a mood to splurge-Fairfield Belgaum (https://goo.gl/maps/6TfK6q1B9Vs)
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 13:52   #2043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game_of_Roads View Post
Hello all - I'm planning Bangalore-Mahabaleshwar by bike next weekend (2 riders 2 bikes - Suzuki Gixxer SF and Honda Unicorn). Planning to leave BLR by early afternoon, night halt by around 7-8PM(looking for suggestions), leave next morning to Mahabaleshwar to reach in the afternoon.

Currently it looks like the BLR-Satara road condition is good. Looking for any advice for this bike ride:
2) Any Gotchas for this trip for a Bike ride ?
3) Are there tolls on this stretch for bikes ?

Thanks !
By early afternoon I am assuming you would start by 1pm from Bangalore and with this start time, you can easily reach Belgaum by 8.00-8.30 pm max. Best budget hotel for a night halt in Belgaum would be Hotel Pai, Hotel Durga international and Hotel Keerti ( near central bus stand ) OR Hotel Hanuman / Hotel Sukhsagar in Nehru Nagar. There are many other hotels in the immediate vicinity but I have just listed the medium budget ones.

Actual fun starts from Belgaum onwards towards Mahabaleshwar ! Start early morning by 6 a.m from Belgaum and breeze through the lovely section of NH4 till Kolhapur. Roads beyond Kolhapur are very good too but they come with some traffic ( doesn't matter much for 2 wheelers ). The tree lined highway beyond Kolhapur with some huge trees even on the median makes a bike ride even more beautiful. Have your breakfast at Hotel Sai international ( 30 kms post Kolhapur ) and proceed on to Satara-Panchwad-Panchgani-Mahabaleshwar. NH4 beyond Satara till Panchwad has diversions due to 6 laning work, but the completed sections are nice. You may reach Mahabaleshwar by 12.30 pm max with reasonable speeds.

No tolls anywhere for a bike on NH4. Have a fun filled safe ride !!

Expect foggy conditions right from Belgaum, but more from Kolhapur onwards. ( my personal experiences of riding on NH4 towards Pune/Mumbai in winters )
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 13:56   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
By early afternoon I am assuming you would start by 1pm from Bangalore and with this start time, you can easily reach Belgaum by 8.00-8.30 pm max.
Vivek, Ranjit : Thanks a ton ! This community is amazing. Dint expect such a quick and very detailed response !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Sankam Residency at Belgaum (https://goo.gl/maps/hPNFLJu4uQ92) if in a mood to splurge-Fairfield Belgaum (https://goo.gl/maps/6TfK6q1B9Vs)
Just realized looking at your map references that "Belagavi" is Belgaum

Last edited by ampere : 19th December 2016 at 14:07. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Game_of_Roads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 15:34   #2045
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Any pointers on landmarks to spot the turn off for Sirsi at Haveri ?
Old 19th December 2016, 15:58   #2046
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Any pointers on landmarks to spot the turn off for Sirsi at Haveri ?
Usually these towns seem to have a big bypass radius. And access to exit points I dont seem to remember. You may have to exit to service road quite early. Good to confirm with others though. This is just what I remember from past.
Old 20th December 2016, 11:05   #2047

Bombay to Bangalore - The road and the route

For all those travelling cross country or between homes, I just did the 1000kms stretch between Bombay and Bangalore and here's what to expect and what not to.

The ride: I have a VW Vento, TSI, Highline. Pro, maintains good highway speeds provided the roads permit. Con, all the parts back in 2012 were still pre-localisation, so the suspension isn't tuned to Indian roads. I get excessive feedback off bumps and breakers, multiple auto experts have told me selling the car would be easier than replacing the suspension. I've totally the same make and model, when i worked with VeeDub in 2013 and haven't driven since. This was my test to see if I can handle this stick-up-the-ass suspension or if I should give up hope forever.

The road: Thumb rule for those travelling this route. Maharashtra roads are bad, Karnataka roads rock.

Maharashtra has an unbelievable amount of tolls and diversions. The highway Vajpayee dreamed off, just hasn't been built in Maharashtra. Its an endless WIP. Mumbai-Pune, of course is brilliant. I was shocked at the amount of traffic this route has nowadays. But, at least its 6 lane with a divider. Once you cross Pune, not even that. 4 lanes and divider, a diversion every 50 odd kms and higher toll. Drive at 120kmph, avg 80.

Just before the Karnataka border the roads become smooth as silk. You know the right turn to Goa? Well, that's about where the road starts getting better. I pit stopped in Pune to meet some Veedub colleagues, Nishant tells me, get to the right turn before dark, take blessings from that turn to the holy land and then move forward. Sound advice. Karnataka is perfect for night driving. Silk roads, no oncoming glare, bus by lanes, the works. The road does go into 2 lane every once in a while, where you're stuck behind a bus, sticking your nose out looking for oncoming traffic, but then, that keeps you awake too. Nothing like a monotonous highway to put a driver to sleep. But as soon as you hit the 4 lanes again, like kids out of school, hit the pedals and don't let up till the tolls. Drive at tripple digit speeds, get good avg.

The timing of it: Methinks nailing the Bombay-Bangalore highway is a timing thing. So i started from Bombay very early in the morning. Lonavala by Sunrise. Pit stop in Pune, some breakfast, osho slippers, meet colleagues, get late, curse self, onwards. The day in Maharashtra is slow. Bad roads, traffic. Night in Belgaum or even after that, silk roads take you all the way to Bangalore.

Major cities to watch out for: Bombay-Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Devangere-Tumkur-Bangalore = 1000kms

Verdict: I can handle the car. I can handle the suspension. I keep her, for now.

Next posts: Bangalore-Coimbatore, Bangalore-Hyderabad
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20161211_173715.jpg  

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20161211_070604.jpg  

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20161211_173545.jpg  

Last edited by SDP : 20th December 2016 at 12:21. Reason: high speed mention removed as per rules.
chekisti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 16:59   #2048
BHPian

This Friday, I am driving from Bangalore to Mumbai, actually it is from Chennai to Mumbai with a night halt at Bangalore.

Route, I believe is straightforward https://goo.gl/maps/SSMWvqHjQWm

Plan is to start at 4AM in the morning, and below are the places I am expecting to take breaks.

Breakfast - Davangere/Ranebennur. Lunch - Sankeshwar/Kolhapur. Is it fine or any other suggestions?

Since the majority of the route is tolled, I have couple of queries related to it.
Are there any tolls, at which I can pay for multiple tolls on the same stretch or all of them are independent tolls?
How is the situation with the digital payments(not FASTag)? Do they accept cards or wallet payments?
Other question is about passing through Bangalore City. My starting point is somewhere around ITPL, so should I take the ORR or drive through the city? Which is the better option for an early morning start?

And finally any other helpful inputs are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 21st December 2016, 17:17   #2049
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
This Friday, I am driving from Bangalore to Mumbai, actually it is from Chennai to Mumbai with a night halt at Bangalore.
With a 4am start:
-you can stop for breakfast at Kamat in Ranebennur (~300Km) inside a Reliance Petrol pump on left side, no detour from highway.
-lunch stop on the Kolhapur bypass (~640Km) - Sai International is decent with very clean restrooms and is family-friendly. It's on right side and there is a break in the median to get into Sai campus.
The next 3-5Km after Sai also has several other options for food but I haven't tried any of them.

Regarding tolls, I think some like the Tumkur one, Anewadi, etc you can buy for the next toll also but not too sure about this. Better you pay attention to the signboards with toll amounts and ask the attendant. I used FasTag so did not have to bother about this.

From ITPL, since you start at 4am, take the Old Madras Road (KR Puram), go via Ulsoor Lake, Nandidurga Road, Mekhri Circle, Yeshwanthpur and you're on the NH 4/48 towards Pune (Take the elevated Road from CMTI junction to Peenya).
Drive safe!

Last edited by NPV : 21st December 2016 at 17:20.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 17:23   #2050
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Route, I believe is straightforward https://goo.gl/maps/SSMWvqHjQWm
Yes

Quote:
Breakfast - Davangere/Ranebennur. Lunch - Sankeshwar/Kolhapur. Is it fine or any other suggestions?
Works well.

Breakfast at Davanagere/Ranebennur
Lunch at Belgaum/Nippani/Kolhapur

Quote:
Are there any tolls, at which I can pay for multiple tolls on the same stretch or all of them are independent tolls?
There were options earlier and I am not sure if it works today.

-At Kini Toll you can pay for Taswade
-At Anewadi toll you can pay for Khedshivpur

All these above 4 tolls are in MH. The only one till Panvel after that is the Mumbai Pune expressway. Just ask if they still do else pay individually.

Quote:
How is the situation with the digital payments(not FASTag)? Do they accept cards or wallet payments?
Cards accepted at many places and PayTM as well.

Quote:
Other question is about passing through Bangalore City. My starting point is somewhere around ITPL, so should I take the ORR or drive through the city? Which is the better option for an early morning start?
ORR works faster but there is a bottleneck in the name of Railway crossing just before you hit the Pune Highway (Tumkur Road). So take the City route. Very early in the morning, this won't make a difference.

Quote:
And finally any other helpful inputs are welcome. Thanks in advance.
List of Eateries and Fuel stations enroute:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3828255
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 17:34   #2051
BHPian

Quote:

Since the majority of the route is tolled, I have couple of queries related to it.
I am partly answering your queries. For lunch, you have the following options--
1. Hotel Whitehouse and Hotel Amar, both on Tawandi ghat between Sankeshwar and Nipani
2.Hotel Smilestone at Gokul Shirgaon, between Kagal and Kolhapur.
3.Hotel Sai international 30 kms beyond Kolhapur ( this will be the farthest but you might reach here by 1.30 to 2pm max )

Between Kolhapur and Pune all 4 tolls are accepting "paytm" payments.

Apparently, card swipe machine is available at tolls on Pune--Mumbai expressway.

EDIT - Just noticed Parag's and NPV's reply. Sorry for the duplication.

By the way guys, the newly opened Fairfield Marriott at Belgaum ( NH4 near Kakati,Belgaum ) looks stunning at night when you pass by this stretch. PC - resp. Owners
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-screenshot_20161221171424.png  

Last edited by vivek95 : 21st December 2016 at 17:45.
vivek95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 07:45   #2052
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am partly answering your queries. For lunch, you have the following options--
1. Hotel Whitehouse and Hotel Amar, both on Tawandi ghat between Sankeshwar and Nipani
2.Hotel Smilestone at Gokul Shirgaon, between Kagal and Kolhapur.
3.Hotel Sai international 30 kms beyond Kolhapur ( this will be the farthest but you might reach here by 1.30 to 2pm max )
White House, Amar, Sai International, Vittal Kamat - All 4 are good options to halt for lunch depending on one's progress.

I have listed exactly these as Smilestone soon after the Welcome to MH sign was not operational then. So this one will get added to the list.

However, of all my previous drives, strictly with a departure of 0400 or 0430, I have easily managed to reach Vittal Kamat (Before umbraj) for lunch around 1330.

Old 22nd December 2016, 09:53   #2053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
From ITPL, since you start at 4am, take the Old Madras Road (KR Puram), go via Ulsoor Lake, Nandidurga Road, Mekhri Circle, Yeshwanthpur and you're on the NH 4/48 towards Pune (Take the elevated Road from CMTI junction to Peenya).

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
ORR works faster but there is a bottleneck in the name of Railway crossing just before you hit the Pune Highway (Tumkur Road). So take the City route. Very early in the morning, this won't make a difference.
Couple of years back, I got stuck in a huge truck traffic at this railway crossing and it took more than an hour to get out of it, at around 5AM in the morning. May be it was one-off instance, but I will not take the risk and drive though the city considering the 1000KM journey ahead

Quote:
Between Kolhapur and Pune all 4 tolls are accepting "paytm" payments.
Apparently, card swipe machine is available at tolls on Pune--Mumbai expressway
I have kept my paytm wallet loaded and plan to use it wherever it is accepted.

Thanks for your advice and I will update the thread with my experience once I complete the drive.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 15:47   #2054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Here is an attempt, a comprehensive one, as much as I could to include details regarding Food & Fuel options between Mumbai - Pune- Bangalore that would help most of the queries get addressed in this single post rather than look elsewhere. I have given map location for each of the POIs in chronological order to enable travelers to reach here without much trouble.

==============================Direction: BANGALORE- PUNE -MUMBAI==============================

Where to refuel

1.BPCL COCO - After JAS Toll

2.HPCL COCO Attached to Kamat

3.BPCL at Sira

4.IOCL Station before Davanagere Bypass

5.BPCL COCO, Ranebennur Bypass

6.HPCL Before Shiggaon

7.MRPL Station at Hubli Circle

8.BPCL COCO after Dharwad Bypass

9.Barde Fuel Station (BPCL) on Belgaum Bypass

10.BPCL Station - Hattarigi

11.BPCL COCO in Karnataka before the MH Border (RIGHT SIDE - Fuel Cheaper in KA than MH)

12.BPCL COCO after Kolhapur Bypass

13.HPCL COCO Near Shirwal (Before Pune)

14.Expressway - HPCL COCO- Before Lonavala Exit

15.Expressway - IOCL COCO - Before Expressway Exit toll

Where to refuel

1.HPCL COCO - After Expressway Entry Toll Plaza

2.BPCL (Not sure if its a COCO but reliable) - After Expressway Exit Toll Plaza

3.Shell - Warje, on Pune Bypass

4.BPCL COCO - After Khedshivpur Toll Plaza

5.Konduskar - BPCL (After Kolhapur Bypass)

6.BPCL COCO - 4-5 Kms after Kognoli/Kagal Toll Plaza

7.HPCL - Hirebagewadi, 1 Km before Hirebagewadi Toll

8.BPCL COCO - Belur Industrial Estate, Before Dharwad

9.IOCL COCO - Belur Industrial Estate, Before Dharwad

10.BPCL - Just at the start of Dharwad Bypass

11.MRPL Filling Station - Hubli Circle

12.BPCL Filling Station - Haveri Bypass

13.BPCL Filling Station - After Chitradurga Bypass

14.BPCL COCO - After Sira (attached to Kamat Upachar)

15.IOCL COCO - After Tumkur, Dabaspet
Folks,

Out of this list of Petrol Pumps, which all accept Card Payments. In the current status with Demonetization, Wanna rely on Digital Modes of Payment.

I am planning to Trip from Mumbai to Bangalore on 25th Dec Sunday Morning and return on 28th Dec Wednesday

Regards,

Balpreet Singh
balpreetsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 15:50   #2055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balpreetsingh View Post
Folks,

Out of this list of Petrol Pumps, which all accept Card Payments. In the current status with Demonetization, Wanna rely on Digital Modes of Payment.

I am planning to Trip from Mumbai to Bangalore on 25th Dec Sunday Morning and return on 28th Dec Wednesday

Regards,

Balpreet Singh
Almost all of these will do for sure. Have no apprehensions about that. I have filled at all of the above list at least once or twice in the past 100+ trips.

Almost all the COCOs for sure will take cards and now with Demonitization, they need to run the show.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks