Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2020, 08:56   #2731
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK01 View Post
Hi, I can see your S-Cross with FX1100 Halogen Super Sports, can you please tell me how is it performing during night highway drives and how much did it cost you?
Lights are good and are performing well, got them for somewhere close to 3.5k. I however will be replacing them with a pencil beam pattern ones since these are driving lights.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 19:29   #2732

Hi Fellow BHPians
I know this could be repeat request for most of you. I'm driving solo from Bangalore to Mumbai on 5th September. I plan to start early around 4ish.
I just wanted to know if anyone has traveled this route post the removal of all inter-state restrictions.
Do the cops insist on any docs/e-passes etc///are eateries now open on the MH side and what condition the road is.
From what I gather it should take me about 18 hours for the journey.
I don't plan to stop apart from loo breaks.
My only companion on this drive is my one year old XC40 and she's pretty much had it easy all this year. The only other longish trips I've done are to Kerala and Ooty.

Please advise, I'm a little nervous but excited as hell for this drive.
Thanks so much.
Old 6th September 2020, 08:13   #2733

Bangalore - Mumbai Volvo XC40 R-Design

Even though I didn't get an update on my earlier query after the post removal of lockdown procedures. I'm guessing there weren't too many traveling during this time.

Anyhoo, here's my account for those traveling in the near future on this route:

Started off my journey on Saturday 5th September at 430am from Cooke town.
It was a breeze driving with the marked decrease in traffic on this route.
Based on the earlier posts I was prepared to not get any food on the MH side of the border so had packed apples and bananas. A packet of khakras that was lying at home and some chocolates, not to mention, about 6 bottles of water.
I took my first break just after Rannibennur just around 9am. Enjoyed a hot cup of coffee at Rajasthan dhaba while filling up diesel at the next door HP bunk. (On the KN side most places were open thankfully).
Hit the road again and crossed Dharwad by 10... Reached Belgaum by 11 ish and from then on... Most restaurants were shuttered across Maharashtra.
Nevertheless I kept up the pace on my Volvo XC40 and kept eating up the miles.
Except for some nature breaks and a banana break the ride was pretty relentless except when I reached just before Pune. Here I stocked up on fresh fruits and veggies from the village Mandi by the highway.
The journey went without incident and before I knew it I had crossed Pune and was on the expressway.
By 5:45 I was in Sion turning into the Western express highway.
6:15pm I was home in Bandra.

Overall it was a fantastic drive. My XC40 gobbled up the miles like the beast she is.
Didn't push her too hard either ... It was an effortless 'is this all you got for me' response from her.
There were no cops, no checkposts no stops along the way.
Since I was driving solo I wasn't wearing the mask inside the car but I did everytime I stepped out.
Any questions please feel free to hit me up but this is what I got.
In a month I do the return journey and will keep you guys posted.
Than you and safe journeys to all.
Peace.
jamesmani is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 20:23   #2734

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmani View Post
Bangalore - Mumbai Volvo XC40 R-Design:
Even though I didn't get an update on my earlier query after the post removal of lockdown procedures. I'm guessing there weren't too many traveling during this time.
Can you please comment on the road conditions please?
I am planning for a solo trip from BLR to Mumbai on my 2015 Honda City.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Last edited by ampere : 8th September 2020 at 05:54.
Old 9th September 2020, 06:10   #2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmani View Post
[h3] Any questions please feel free to hit me up but this is what I got..
Thanks for the update. I am travelling on 11th Sep, few questions
  1. Is your car KA or MH registration?
  2. Are there any procedure/pass requirement at all? Mine is KA registration
  3. Whats the average speed you think you were driving?

And yes ofcourse road conditions as asked in previous post.

Thank you.
amit0rana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 22:45   #2736

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONGODSMANNA View Post
Can you please comment on the road conditions please?
I am planning for a solo trip from BLR to Mumbai on my 2015 Honda City.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding
The roads are by and large good. The only irritant would be that there are many small diversions on to the service road every few kms and that significantly slows your progress down. But otherwise it's pretty good in general.
Safe travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit0rana View Post
Thanks for the update. I am travelling on 11th Sep, few questions
  1. Is your car KA or MH registration?
  2. Are there any procedure/pass requirement at all? Mine is KA registration
  3. Whats the average speed you think you were driving?

And yes ofcourse road conditions as asked in previous post.

Thank you.
1. My car is a KA registration as well
2. And NO procedure/pass requirement at all.
3. Honestly i wasn't checking the average speed but it took me 14 hours to do the 980+ km.
4. And like i said the road conditions were mostly decent with just about 60 odd km of diversions on to serviceroads due to repair work

Safe travels.

Last edited by bblost : 9th September 2020 at 23:03. Reason: back to back
jamesmani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 16:49   #2737

I am leaving as well on 11th. Solo drive, will start after I wake up. No target time as such.
The plan is not to stop anywhere for food. I was wondering if there are any safe driveways for atleast a coffee enroute?
Old 10th September 2020, 17:03   #2738
BHPian

Quote:
I am leaving as well on 11th. Solo drive, will start after I wake up. No target time as such.
The plan is not to stop anywhere for food. I was wondering if there are any safe driveways for atleast a coffee enroute?
Why bother stopping for that? Get those ID liquid decoction sachets and warm water or milk in flasks. Just saying this from safety POV.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 17:07   #2739

Thats the plan. Not sure if it will stay warm till evening. I also was looking for 12V heating kettle - too late to order to get it delivered. Must say poor planning - will go traditional way - hot water in a flask...reminds me of hospitals :-)
Old 10th September 2020, 17:53   #2740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats the plan. Not sure if it will stay warm till evening. I also was looking for 12V heating kettle - too late to order to get it delivered. Must say poor planning - will go traditional way - hot water in a flask...reminds me of hospitals :-)
Carry a regular 220v kettle. Stop over at a fuel station and request him to use the plug point for a minute or two and they will oblige.

It's something I have done very regularly when my kid was an infant and we used to drive to Pune and Ahmedabad.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 01:22   #2741
BHPian

The First Solo Roadtrip (BLR-MUM-DEL)

The BACKGROUND

Nov '19 - Moved to Bangalore for a new job assignment
Feb '20 - Came back home to Delhi for Holi
Mar '20 - The lockdown happened
Apr ' 20 - WFH implemented until June
Jun '20 - WFH extended until August
Aug '20 - WFH extended until December

... and just this Monday, we've been told to work from home until the later half of the year 2021 .. bringing my ambitious plan of exploring Bangalore in the years ahead crashing down ! Thankfully, the landlord has agreed to waive off the notice and has asked to handover keys before 31 Oct. So this trip was unexpected and needs to happen ASAP.

THE PLAN

Since I was in Bangalore just for two months, all my belongings fit very well into the boot of my little Brezza so I have decided to drive to Delhi. I plan to stay in Mumbai for a week and then start for Delhi !

THE APPREHENSIONS/QUESTIONS

1. This is my FIRST solo road trip and also, the longest ever ! The longest I did before this was from Gurgaon to Narkanda, starting right after office on a Friday which makes me a little confident about this !

2. While I want to experience a solo road trip, I am ABSOLUTELY not looking for any sort of adventures. My plan is to drive responsibly and reach my destination safely. What I could figure out via Google Maps and other vlog/blogs/travelogues is to stick to NH48: WHITEFIELD - NELAMANGALA TOWN - TUMAKURU - SIRA - HIRIYUR - CHITRADURGA - DAVANAGERE BYPASS - RANEBENNUR BYPASS - HAVERI BYPASS - BANKAPUR TOLL GATE - HUBLI BYPASS - DHARWAD BYPASS - BELGAUM BYPASS - SANKESHWAR BYPASS - NIPANI BYPASS - KOLHAPUR BYPASS - KARAD BYPASS - SATARA - KHANDALA - PUNE - MUMBAI. Is this the best route ?

3. What are some decent places to stop for food on this route ? I am okay eating anywhere as long as it's hygienic enough.

4. In case I am not able to make it to Mumbai in one go, what's the best place to stay on this route ? Or rather, at what point of the journey should I decide if I want to carry on or break off until the next day ?

5. Do I need to carry a COVID test report ?

6. My Brezza has completed 30k so far and will need servicing before I leave. Planning to get it serviced from Maruti ASC in Brookfield (since it's the closest to my house). I am fairly new to the city and if there are some exceptionally good FNGs or ASC, I would love to visit them and take back a good experience and a sense of assurance (having experienced some pathetic ASCs in Delhi !). Also, any specific points/parts/issues that I should attend to while getting the car serviced ?

Looking forward to all of your inputs on this and any other points/tips/suggestions/heads-up you may have for me !

Stay healthy !

Deepesh
DeepeshKarnik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 08:44   #2742
BHPian

Hi, I will be travelling on 26th Sep with family from Pune to Bangalore, with a stop over at Davangere overnight.
1) Are the toilets at petrol bunk mentioned are clean? Any reccomended place.
2) Are restaurants maintaining hygiene in case have to pull over for coffee breaks?

It will be my first long trip and being only driver hence taking break (max I have driven so far non stop is Pune to Belgaum in pre covid era)
Old 24th September 2020, 09:49   #2743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoweirdo View Post
1) Are the toilets at petrol bunk mentioned are clean? Any reccomended place.
In general, most of the rest rooms attached to the recommended fuel stations are acceptable. However, you need to travel with the mindset that these are SoS only and that they may not be clean too. Your first choice should always be those attached to CCD or good restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
  1. Cafe Coffee Day - Before Sira Bypass, Pune-Bangalore corridor, 125 kms before Bangalore - Location

2. Cafe Coffee Day - Before Davanagere Bypass, Bangalore-Pune corridor, 265 kms from Bangalore - Location

3. Cafe Coffee Day - Between Motebennur & Ranebennur, Pune-Bangalore corridor, 315 kms before Bangalore - Location

4. Cafe Coffee Day - Shiggaon, Bangalore - Pune corridor, 360 Kms from Bangalore - Location

5. Cafe Coffee Day - Belur Industrial Estate, Dharwad, Bangalore - Pune corridor, 435 kms from Bangalore - Location
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoweirdo View Post
2) Are restaurants maintaining hygiene in case have to pull over for coffee breaks?
Again, remain less hopeful about this no matter how even good restaurants would be following protocols to ensure safety of their own and travellers.

In short, safety during such travel begins with an attempt by yourself to remain safe by following the best practices:

- As much as possible, carry your own food -
- Look for fuel stations that appear clean in case you want to use the rest room
- Buy a can of surface disinfectant spray from a supermarket and have it handy when you visit these rest rooms
- At a restaurant, if they are willing to serve you outdoors (around your car), that is a better choice
- Even one of you ordering take-away and then taking that grub under a shelter is a better idea
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 11:00   #2744
BHPian

- As much as possible, carry your own food - yes carrying lunch and some dry food items for night
- Look for fuel stations that appear clean in case you want to use the rest room - sure
- Buy a can of surface disinfectant spray from a supermarket and have it handy when you visit these rest rooms - yes have bought savlon spray
- At a restaurant, if they are willing to serve you outdoors (around your car), that is a better choice
- Even one of you ordering take-away and then taking that grub under a shelter is a better idea - yes will do the same

Thank you very much for response. Will definitely update by trip report once done.
Old 24th September 2020, 17:40   #2745
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The First Solo Roadtrip (BLR-MUM-DEL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepeshKarnik View Post
WHITEFIELD - NELAMANGALA TOWN - TUMAKURU - SIRA - HIRIYUR - CHITRADURGA - DAVANAGERE BYPASS - RANEBENNUR BYPASS - HAVERI BYPASS - BANKAPUR TOLL GATE - HUBLI BYPASS - DHARWAD BYPASS - BELGAUM BYPASS - SANKESHWAR BYPASS - NIPANI BYPASS - KOLHAPUR BYPASS - KARAD BYPASS - SATARA - KHANDALA - PUNE - MUMBAI. Is this the best route ?
Indeed the right route and even without maps, there are zero chances that you will miss bypassing any town/city enroute.

There is a thread already for Bangalore - Mumbai here with latest updates too.

Quote:
3. What are some decent places to stop for food on this route ? I am okay eating anywhere as long as it's hygienic enough.
The same thread will give you all the details that you need not look elsewhere - pitstop for food and fuel available on the very first page here.

Quote:
4. In case I am not able to make it to Mumbai in one go, what's the best place to stay on this route ? Or rather, at what point of the journey should I decide if I want to carry on or break off until the next day ?
It will all depend on when and where you decide to not drive further and stop. Ideal choices start from as early as Davanagere, to midway at Hubli/Belgaum or all the way around Kolhapur/Karad/Satara as well. All of these places have decent places to stop for the night.

Quote:
5. Do I need to carry a COVID test report ?
Entering into MH or GJ or RJ will not require a COVID test report. However, more details available on this thread dedicated for interstate travel post COVID.

Quote:
Also, any specific points/parts/issues that I should attend to while getting the car serviced ?
30K is not a high mileage. As long as all fluids are checked/replaced as per intervals, brakes and tires in good shape, you are good to go!

Quote:
Looking forward to all of your inputs on this and any other points/tips/suggestions/heads-up you may have for me !
Please visit the threads I have posted in my response. They have plethora of information that will be immensely helpful for you.

Since you plan to drive via Mumbai anyway, there is a thread for Delhi - Mumbai, again with all the latest updates here.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th September 2020 at 17:46.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks