Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2023, 04:27   #3391
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Hi Folks,

I am planning for a trip from Bangalore until Pune in the next few weeks and need some guidance on hiring a driver for night travel as I have issues with my eyesight and the stock headlights in Ford ES aren't enough to illuminate roads at night.

Would it be possible to reach Pune by morning 10 if I start from Bangalore the previous day around 4 PM?

I have done similar trip back in 2018 from Mumbai to Chennai in 19 hours without breaks but this time since it's night travel, I am bit worried about the potholes and safety.
Old 6th January 2023, 17:50   #3392
BHPian

Very recently I did Bangalore-Pune in little under 15 hours. Started 4:45 AM and reached 8:15 PM. The last 1.5 hours were mostly in the city traffic. The stretch from Bangalore to Hubbali is 6 lane and safe. Right after Hubbali city the stretch is 2 way without any barrier. It is poorly lit, and one have to be very cautious of trucks coming from opposite side. Even when you try to overtake the trailer length of the truck in your lane varies making it unpredictable and hence I did not think this was worth trying.

I feel you have taken enough buffer though of 18 hours travel time.

I had read this (Guidelines & Tips for Safe NIGHT Driving)post before my travel even though mine was stretched to maximum till 8:30 PM and found it very useful.
Old 6th January 2023, 18:28   #3393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post

Would it be possible to reach Pune by morning 10 if I start from Bangalore the previous day around 4 PM?
Even with an extended dinner break, you should be able to reach Pune by sunrise. Post Tumkur, no pothole issues anywhere just that you need to be careful as always on the Hubli-Dharwad stretch.
explorer09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 18:38   #3394
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,

I am planning for a trip from Bangalore until Pune in the next few weeks and need some guidance on hiring a driver for night travel as I have issues with my eyesight and the stock headlights in Ford ES aren't enough to illuminate roads at night.

I have done similar trip back in 2018 from Mumbai to Chennai in 19 hours without breaks but this time since it's night travel, I am bit worried about the potholes and safety.
Bangalore Pune is easily doable in 13-14 hours. I have done Bangalore - Kolhapur (10 hours) including an hours detour into Davangare town for those yummy dosas and Kolhapur - Pune (4 hours).

I started from Bangalore at 1 PM and checked into my hotel in Kolhapur at 11 PM. After a good nights rest started from Kolhapur at 7 AM and reached Pune at 11 AM.

I do not advocate night drives though, I would suggest break your journey in Hubbali around midnight, rest for a few hours and start fresh around 4 AM, to reach Pune by 10 AM.

Regards
Diesel

Last edited by Dieseltuned : 6th January 2023 at 18:52.
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 21:10   #3395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While you will certainly reach Pune by 5 or 6 AM itself with very usual cruising speeds of 100-120 kmph with breaks, with a 4 PM start, you will be doing Kolhapur Satara Pune section between 0100 and 0500 and this is the time when you will encounter quite a lot of buses headed for Pune and Mumbai. While you may see them as "good company" while you drive in through the night, I would avoid them since they often bully and tail you causing a lot of irritation and test your patience. And remember that most of these buses would be originating from Bangalore, Hubli, Hyderabad, Goa and they all reach Pune outskirts early morning.

The most ideal time, that also helps beat the busy Kolhapur-Satara-Pune section and also help you avoid these buses would be to start from Bangalore at 1300, enter Kolhapur by 2200 and reach Pune by 0100/0200.

Quote:
it's night travel, I am bit worried about the potholes and safety.
I have regularly driven this stretch through the night and with various start times from both directions and the route is absolutely safe. However, be mindful of the fact that the sugarcane harvesting reason is still not over and you will encounter quite a lot of tractors with dual trailers dancing between 2 lanes, most of them with no tail lamps.

Secondly, this season of the year expect thick fog blanket between Haveri and Kognoli which is a regular affair around this time of the year, especially between 2200 and 0700.

This was at 0600 somewhere near Ranebennur and the fog started right after Kolhapur.

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-20211107_060824.jpg

And this one was between Sankeshwar and Belgaum:

paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 22:06   #3396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Bangalore at 1300, enter Kolhapur by 2200 and reach Pune by 0100/0200.
I second this start timing. Done this once starting from Hosur at noon and entered Pune at 145 am and were at Wagholi in 45 minutes. Traffic till Tumkur will be tolerable. You might see some crossing Hubli-Dharwad. But

You might do faster than what I did, since this drive was done when Chitradurga-Hubli was being 6-laned.

Bus traffic was there, but wasn't bothersome on driving. You might have to be watchful when the MSRTCs decide to stop.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 13:41   #3397
BHPian

Did Pune BLR yesterday.
Start Time : 330am(Camp)
End time: 3pm (Begur)
Choose this start time for 2 main reasons
1. rhymes with my toddler and infants sleep time
2. Avoids MH traffic and time wasted by MH cops check

First stop @ 630am was 20 min Indumathi IOC at Kognoli (100m before the BPCL COCO) Clean restrooms and no queues
Second break @ 9am was 45mins breakfast halt at Hotel Ganesh post hubli. kids were awake now, but then more than half of distance was done

All good roads except 2 diversions near Byadgi. Traffic was all low except Tumkur to BLR which was a patience Test.

think have found the the best time slot for this journey if an early sleep can be managed.
thanks.
Old 10th January 2023, 10:10   #3398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W@SIM View Post
Did Pune BLR yesterday.
Start Time : 330am(Camp)
End time: 3pm (Begur)

First stop @ 630am was 20 min Indumathi IOC at Kognoli (100m before the BPCL COCO) Clean restrooms and no queues
Second break @ 9am was 45mins breakfast halt at Hotel Ganesh post hubli. kids were awake now, but then more than half of distance was done
Kudos to you W@SIM. We try for an early start but always end up starting at 5-5:30am and reach Bengaluru after 7pm. During such travels, my kids would also wake up along with us. They are too excited just as we are.
You are an inspiration for early start and early arrival that avoids some challenges enroute.
Old 10th January 2023, 12:43   #3399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavGTI View Post
starting at 5-5:30am and reach Bengaluru after 7pm.
Another great time is a noon start from Pune. Like early morning, you'll avoid MH traffic and Tumkur-Hosur is a breeze at those late night timings. Done this few times, have either stayed Hosur or hammered Madras by early morning.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 20:11   #3400
BHPian

Finally some good news on Tumkur Neelmangala 6 laning, looks like work has started on ground. Recent travellers can confirm if any impact of this on traffic. Hope this is completed at faster pace.

https://twitter.com/Sahilinfra2/stat...0EKSi7GjsHeIjg

Last edited by autoweirdo : 10th January 2023 at 20:14.
autoweirdo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 01:55   #3401

Hi,

Me and wife are planning to travel from Bengaluru to Mumbai coming week. En route to Mumbai, plan to visit and stay at the following places:

Davangere
Belagavi
Kolhapur
Mahabaleshwar
Pune
Lonavala

I will be driving my 7y old Vento 1.2 TSI.

If anyone has recently taken the NH48 to reach Mumbai from Bengaluru, kindly update on the following:
a. Border dispute between the states
b. Any stretch that needs to be avoided

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th January 2023, 19:24   #3402
BHPian

Hi team,
Me and wife are planning a road trip from Mumbai to Bangalore on 26th Jan '23. Will start return on 30th Jan. We had some questions and no better forum to ask.
1. Is it wise to do it in a day? We know it can be done, just want to know if it is a wise thing to do. My wife won't drive so it will be only me and I have driven to Goa from Pune non-stop but not sure that counts for anything.
2. Should we go to Pune an evening prior and start from Pune the next day? Someone suggested that.
3. If it is advisable to stop for the night then where? Belgaum?
4. Can anyone share update on road conditions?
5. Big factor in us deciding whether to finish it in a day or not is how and what this forum suggests.
6. We have a Ford Eco Sport AT, while it is fairly new, what all should one check for before a long trip.
7. Any tips!!
Old 15th January 2023, 22:36   #3403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saminxs View Post
Hi team,
1. Is it wise to do it in a day? We know it can be done, just want to know if it is a wise thing to do. My wife won't drive so it will be only me and I have driven to Goa from Pune non-stop but not sure that counts for anything.
7. Any tips!!
It is easily doable in one day. Start as early as possible to avoid all sorts of traffic. Since it is a national holiday, you can expect more people on the road. As you would be the only driver, get a good relaxing sleep on the night before you start. Also taking a power nap after lunch would definitely help in the other half of your journey.
Here are other things that help me
1. Multiple lists of curated songs depending on my mood.
2. Chewing gum.
3. Keep sipping black coffee. I brew it in a traditional filter. Instant should also work. Just carry hot water and instant coffee sachets. This should keep you awake for most part of the journey. If not take a nap for 15 mins after each meal.
4. Drive safe and enjoy the journey.
pranavGTI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 09:04   #3404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saminxs View Post
Hi team,

Big factor in us deciding whether to finish it in a day or not is how and what this forum suggests.
My answer to this would be, ask yourself if you need to do it in one day. If the answer is no, split it, have a relaxed drive. Look for what you can visit on the way to break the monotony of driving.
thirugata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 12:37   #3405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirugata View Post
My answer to this would be, ask yourself if you need to do it in one day. If the answer is no, split it, have a relaxed drive. Look for what you can visit on the way to break the monotony of driving.
I too would like to do that only but when in a corporate job, you want to take as less leaves as possible :(

Most Viewed