Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 17:06   #2251
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Yes, because of this new development (doc told about the risk only today), we are planning to "import" both FIL & MIL somehow - let's see. Plus wife has been put on a course of tablets to avoid premature labor.

And the gynec mentioned that wife has to be on the back seat only. Plus, she also had a chart to show how pregnant women should wear seatbelts.

Nothing to do with the topic, I know, but the gynec drives a Hyundai i20 CRdi !!
Excellent. Guess what. The three point seat belts (something you find in race cars) would be the best in her case. And thank god you are moving her to the back seat. Just import the MIL, if you have space constraints.
And with the doc putting her on premature labor risk, even Air travel is medically ruled out.
Start preparing your checklist rightaway dude. And is this oneway or will you be driving back with your wife before the delivery?
Old 18th June 2010, 17:08   #2252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
aha, but the ride quality? I haven't driven the GV yet, but isn't Safari better on that front?
Obviously better than Safari... Ah! You didn't know that. But then this is a lot more expensive car.
Old 18th June 2010, 22:57   #2253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think I'm the original discoverer of the Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal shortcut, but nobody believes that.
You've got one more claim for that title buddy, I surely think it's me
Old 18th June 2010, 23:12   #2254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I would have driven to Mangalore and back 25+ times - on different routes

I think I'm the original discoverer of the Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal shortcut, but nobody believes that. ...
Ah great!

And as for the title, looks like you have competition already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But my Grand Vitara does this route every 7-10 days without any niggles or garage visits.
Wow!

Does it mean the other vehicles that you personally know end up in the garage or niggles each time they do this route?

Quote:
Obviously better than Safari... Ah! You didn't know that. But then this is a lot more expensive car.
At close to 50% more price from the base variants and running on petrol, it better be. But your observation is, as they say, to each his own.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 18th June 2010 at 23:29.
Old 18th June 2010, 23:39   #2255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Obviously better than Safari... Ah! You didn't know that.
I really didn't know that. The only expensive SUV I have driven is the Tucson, and I didn't find its ride quality very impressive (I mean, its OK for a SUV but was not as good as the Safari).

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
And as for the title, looks like you have competition already!
I stay close to Magadi Road. A few years back, we drove along on the Magadi Road "to see where it goes" - and we ended up in Kunigal! I wish I had taken photographs that day as proof of my great discovery, but alas.
Old 19th June 2010, 07:42   #2256
Senior - BHPian

Drove back yesterday to Bangalore from Puttur / Uppinangady via Shiradi Ghat.

The Shiradi Ghat road is still in good shape, but I noticed damages / potholes at around 3 to 4 places. At one place (near Kemp Hole), there were several craters already ! Does not seem to be a good trend, considering the months of monsoon still left in this year. Hope the craters get patched up by the contractors at the earliest.

Finally, I could spot a small place in Kunigal near the bus stand, where I stopped for Tea and Dosas / Poories. It is a very small hotel called "Kamadenu" (yes, that's how it is spelt). The rest room is bad, but the food is manageable.
Old 19th June 2010, 08:21   #2257

Driving to Kukke Subrahmanya

I'm a newbie in this forum. I'm planning to drive to Kukke Subrahmanya either today or next weekend. I was initially planning to go via Tiptur on NH206, but it sounds like NH48 may be a better option. However, I live in Malleswaram and I've driven a few times on Magadi Rd till NICE, and I found the road to be pretty bad in most places. Any pointers there? And, how long will it take to reach Kukke (door-to-door) if I start from Malleswaram at 5am? at 10am?

Also, I've heard it's near impossible to get accommodation in Kukke, so I'm thinking of staying overnight in Sakleshpur. Early next morning, I can check out, visit the temple(s) in Kukke and drive back to Bangalore. Is this doable?

Any other tips/pointers from frequent travelers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Swaroop
Old 19th June 2010, 10:36   #2258
BHPian

good news : mining trucks banned in NH48 and NH17, From june 20 to november 15. Hope this helps roads. Source: vijayakarnataka
Old 19th June 2010, 11:08   #2259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow!

Does it mean the other vehicles that you personally know end up in the garage or niggles each time they do this route?
Yup, my Jeep. It visits the garage before and after every long drive. BTW, do you know any vehicle personally that didn't have a single problem during the first 32 months or 25,000 of driving on very bad roads? I have only changed tyres which gave up after 17K thanks to the terrain.

Quote:
At close to 50% more price from the base variants and running on petrol, it better be. But your observation is, as they say, to each his own.
Since when ride comfort is each to his own? Listen, I don't usually try to compare GV with Safari ride comfort on the forum. Almost none of the Safari owners here have experienced GV on bad terrain. So it just turns into a pissing contest. I answered smartcat only because he specifically made a comment about GV vs Safari ride comfort.

There is a big difference between how GV and Safari suspension is setup. Besides, Safari is ladder chassis, GV is monocoque over ladder chassis. Safari is soft suspension, the GV is on the firmer side. Therefore, when you ride in very slow speeds, Safari feels more comfy on pot holed roads. But when you go faster on bad road, the firmer suspension of GV will keep you gliding over it, without any bouncing or rolling associated with taller Safari or Scorpio. My wife and I have long rides in Safari and GV on same bad roads. During my test ride even I thought Safari ride was better than GV because I TDed Safari 3.0 in rainy conditions (potholes full of water) and GV in dry pothole condition. Later when I TDed Safari 2.2 in similarly dry pot holes, it was worse than GV. But wife says the GV rear seat comfort is not as good as front seat.

Check this comparison (not by me): https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/637808-post129.html

But Safari clearly triumphs over GV in offroading or highway driving thanks to very powerful engine and rear LSD.

Quote:
I really didn't know that. The only expensive SUV I have driven is the Tucson, and I didn't find its ride quality very impressive (I mean, its OK for a SUV but was not as good as the Safari).
That's because I don't want to start a war. But you asked a pointed question, so I answered. I regularly drive in twisty bad roads, and I thank the firm yet smooth ride of GV all the time.

Now let's not go OT, this thread is not about GV vs Safari.
Old 19th June 2010, 14:01   #2260
Senior - BHPian

An advantage while driving taller vehicles (like GV, Safari, Scorpio etc.) on ghat roads is that the better visibility of potholes from a distance (thanks to the higher seating position), makes it easier for the driver to take evasive action. Due to this, and the higher gound clearance, I have found my Shiradi ghat and Kukke trips much less stressful in my recently acquired Scorpio, as compared to earlier trips in my Ikon ! Of course, I do admit that the ride and handling isn't as firm as the Ikon, especially around the corners.
Old 19th June 2010, 14:15   #2261
BHPian

Quote:
I would have driven to Mangalore and back 25+ times - on different routes

I think I'm the original discoverer of the Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal shortcut, but nobody believes that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Quote:
I stay close to Magadi Road. A few years back, we drove along on the Magadi Road "to see where it goes" - and we ended up in Kunigal! I wish I had taken photographs that day as proof of my great discovery, but alas.
beg to differ gentlemen,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...tml#post741222

credits and advantage : Team BHP !!

Last edited by roamingrao : 19th June 2010 at 14:19.
Old 19th June 2010, 16:28   #2262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkrpxz View Post
how long will it take to reach Kukke (door-to-door) if I start from Malleswaram at 5am? at 10am?

Also, I've heard it's near impossible to get accommodation in Kukke, so I'm thinking of staying overnight in Sakleshpur. Early next morning, I can check out, visit the temple(s) in Kukke and drive back to Bangalore. Is this doable?

Any other tips/pointers from frequent travelers would be appreciated.
Bangalore to Kukke ( 289 kms ) would take 5.5 - 6 hours of non stop driving. Roads are good throughout.

Suggest reach Dharmasthala ( 310 kms ) instead of sakleshpur ( 224 kms ) on day one - despite weekend, can find plenty of guest house and lodges, have darshan and next morning morning drive to Kukke subramanya ( 57 kms ). This way, your add one more temple in your itinerary !

Hope this helps..
Old 21st June 2010, 11:26   #2263
Senior - BHPian

Just back from a mangalore drive in an Alto.Took us 6 hours on both legs.One has to be careful on the Kunigal -Channrayapatna stretch for diversions and the unmarked humps wherever the road is being laid.

The Channrayapatna -Sakleshpur runway is still in superb shape ...easily doable in 1 hour .

The ghat is still in good shape ..but there are quite a few places especially the small bridges where one has to be careful...just one week of rains and we see bigg potholes..cars with low GC will have a problem here and once has to be really careful not to damage the bumper or the sump..I am sure this is will only worsen over the next few weeks :(..these stretches will be tricky in heavy rains and nights...so i would advice new drivers to drive only during the day

Otherwise ,a superb drive ...we never exceeded 110 in the alto with 5 on board...we still managed both ways in 6 hours each and got 17.7 kpl overall FE.
Old 21st June 2010, 11:36   #2264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
..just one week of rains and we see bigg potholes..cars with low GC will have a problem here and once has to be really careful not to damage the bumper or the sump..I am sure this is will only worsen over the next few weeks :(..these stretches will be tricky in heavy rains and nights...so i would advice new drivers to drive only during the day
And to think somebody was suggesting that the title of thread is no more relevant. The Art is back and will continue to thrive....
Old 21st June 2010, 11:59   #2265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
good news : mining trucks banned in NH48 and NH17, From june 20 to november 15. Hope this helps roads. Source: vijayakarnataka
This would really help! Did not see this in any major newspapers! Any more pointers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks