Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2010, 12:51   #2296

Quick update to my post - categorization of each stretch

Before I summarize the latest road conditions, I'd like to categorize roads as: Hummer, Rumbler & Rattler. The meanings of these categories should be self-evident.
  • Bangalore - Magadi - Poor initially, later very good; congested sometimes (Rumbler)
  • Magadi - Kunigal - Bad in Magadi, much better after the fork towards Kunigal; very little traffic (Rumbler)
  • Kunigal - Channarayapatna - construction; highway widening in progress; sudden bumps due to the work that is going on (Rumbler)
  • Channarayapatna - Hassan - Very good for the most part (Hummer)
  • Hassan - Sakleshpur - Very good for the most part (Hummer)
  • Sakleshpur - Gundya - Terrible for the most part; huge potholes, gravel strewn all over which bounces off the tires on to the underside of the car constantly; extraordinarily scenic, but the road takes a real beating in terms of heavy traffic (oil tankers mostly) and rains (Rattler)
  • Gundya - Subramanya - Beautiful, scenic, black tar top road in very good condition (Super-Hummer!)
Swaroop
Old 29th June 2010, 19:41   #2297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkrpxz View Post
Before I summarize the latest road conditions, I'd like to categorize roads as: Hummer, Rumbler & Rattler. The meanings of these categories should be self-evident. - Swaroop
I like the categorization! Especially the super hummer!!
Old 30th June 2010, 11:25   #2298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sakleshpur - Gundya - Terrible for the most part; huge potholes, gravel strewn all over which bounces off the tires on to the underside of the car constantly; extraordinarily scenic, but the road takes a real beating in terms of heavy traffic (oil tankers mostly) and rains (Rattler)
Road is not taking beating due to Oil tankers, but for the iron ore filled lorries which weighing up more than 5 times the legal limit. 10 years back when there was no Mining lorries around 1000 Oil tankers used to pass through in a day but road was butter smooth, now Oil tankers have reduced thanks for Oil pipe line. But the real culprit is Mining trucks
Old 30th June 2010, 11:55   #2299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Road is not taking beating due to Oil tankers, but for the iron ore filled lorries which weighing up more than 5 times the legal limit. 10 years back when there was no Mining lorries around 1000 Oil tankers used to pass through in a day but road was butter smooth, now Oil tankers have reduced thanks for Oil pipe line. But the real culprit is Mining trucks
I think mining trucks have been banned on Shiradi ghat for this monsoon season. The Dept of Mines has set up a check post in Bhairapura (between Hassan & Sakleshpur) to check this. I had been there last weekend and I did not see a single mining truck on this route.
Old 30th June 2010, 12:47   #2300
BHPian

Quote:
adi99, can you please clarify what you mean exactly by the first 25%?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepax View Post
Been to MLR on 18th and returned last evening to BLR. I some what agree with adi99 mentioning about the condition of the Shiradi Ghat.
Sorry Swaroop for missing your post and thanks Deepax for explaining

Quote:
Before I summarize the latest road conditions, I'd like to categorize roads as: Hummer, Rumbler & Rattler.
And I was driving my swift, Super Rattler .

I am driving again in the second week of July to Udupi. Does anyone know the condition of the Charmadi ghats?
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:57   #2301
Senior - BHPian

Some good news for this thread guys
“Concrete roads: focussing on rural and urban concrete roads” organised by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) here on Wednesday, he said the State Government had sent a proposal to concrete Shiradi Ghat portion of the National Highway 48 at a cost of Rs. 115 crore for the Centre's approval.
Old 3rd July 2010, 18:11   #2302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Some good news for this thread guys
“Concrete roads: focussing on rural and urban concrete roads” organised by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) here on Wednesday, he said the State Government had sent a proposal to concrete Shiradi Ghat portion of the National Highway 48 at a cost of Rs. 115 crore for the Centre's approval.
The proposal of laying concrete road on the shiradi ghats was supposed to start from 1st Nov 2009 and completed by May 2010. It was mentioned in the newspapers during Sept / Oct 2009. Nothing happened from then and they are again talking about this now. Politicians only talk when they need to be in the news. You can be rest assured of hassle free travel on the shiradi ghats when this proposal turns out to be reality. Not sure when, but there is always hope....
Old 5th July 2010, 18:31   #2303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I think mining trucks have been banned on Shiradi ghat for this monsoon season. The Dept of Mines has set up a check post in Bhairapura (between Hassan & Sakleshpur) to check this. I had been there last weekend and I did not see a single mining truck on this route.
yes mining trucks are banned till November as per KSRTC bus drivers. Roads have started becoming rough now. I had sleepless night yesterday in bus due to bad roads. The baikampady bridge has been repaired and tar has been freshly laid. This stretch which used to major jam during rainy season is quite smooth now. But ridiculous part is, not even 10 meters from repaired stretch, there are some big pot holes
Old 6th July 2010, 08:59   #2304
BHPian

Yesterday went to kukke, only the concrete hairpins are holding up. Rest all gone to rains. We can already see the streams in the roads. So the art of travelling is the right name now. . . .
Old 6th July 2010, 09:27   #2305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
So the art of travelling is the right name now. . . .
This should silence all the doubting thomases who are usually vocal in May, of every year.
Old 6th July 2010, 10:47   #2306
Senior - BHPian

lolz! they take months to fix the road but that does not last even for a month....kudos to the government and the company which has done this work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Yesterday went to kukke, only the concrete hairpins are holding up. Rest all gone to rains. We can already see the streams in the roads. So the art of travelling is the right name now. . . .
Old 6th July 2010, 19:42   #2307
BHPian

Coastal City to Capital City!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This should silence all the doubting thomases who are usually vocal in May, of every year.
Now, They have plans of having B'lore - Mysore 6 laned. But, why are they not doing a decent 2 lanes for B'lore - M'lore? M'lore is the second or third biggest city in k'taka, and they do not even have a decent 2 lane between state's capital and itself. Beats me!!
Old 6th July 2010, 20:15   #2308
Senior - BHPian

A 34 km rail link from Bangalore City to Bangalore International Airport is going to be taken up with Rs. 6900 crores, and priority.

34 kms between Sakleshpur and Shiradi is crying for a mere Rs. 100 crores, for the last several years. Why no priority for this, for so many years ?

Five Firms Shortlisted for Rs 6900 cr High Speed Rail Link to Bangalore Airport
Old 6th July 2010, 20:22   #2309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
34 kms between Sakleshpur and Shiradi is crying for a mere Rs. 100 crores, for the last several years. Why no priority for this, for so many years ?
On the other hand, if they want to start a new thermal power plant, petro chemical plant, or any other highly polluting industry, this lush green land of Coastal Karnataka is the first place they think about.
Old 7th July 2010, 11:07   #2310
Senior - BHPian

ahh tell me about it and whenever i read about it on the paper my blood boils!!! i guess this is what happens when we are ruled by the morons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
On the other hand, if they want to start a new thermal power plant, petro chemical plant, or any other highly polluting industry, this lush green land of Coastal Karnataka is the first place they think about.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks