Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2010, 13:26   #2416
Senior - BHPian

HW, if you have 3days you can plan something like this,

Day 1, B,lore to Kollur. might be darshan late evening.
Day2, Early morning Darshan and start journey take the road which goes to vandse instead of the road which leads to kundapur, this road jois nh17 just before baindur then head to Murdeshwar. later can take Honavar - Sagara- Shimoga - Tumkur - Blore route.

Kollur to Honnavara is about 80+kms, Just before sagar town there is a good hotel you can stay for the night.

Day 3 you have ample time to head back...
Old 26th August 2010, 14:09   #2417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Planning to do this trip on 10th September.

@Revy: What is the total distance from Bangalore to Kollur? I have 3 days in hand, reckon, I will take one each for the drive and 1 day over there. Not planning too many visit to any other place over there; Hope to make it this time.

Would appreciate any suggestions on a good place to stay.

Did you do this drive over a single day or was there a stop over at some place? I reckon the route thru Shimoga is a beau to drive thru.

HappyWheels, waiting for Revy to post his comments on the road condition from Kollur to Murudeshwar and back to bangalore via honnavar, Jog falls and Shimoga. NH17 is definetely bad near baindur and bhatkal. Honnavar to Bangalore via shimoga still holds good, rather patchy at stretches near Jog falls and Sagar.

Coming back to your query, Bangalore to Kollur via Sringeri, agumbe and haladi is 410 kms. most of the road is still good.

There are many guest houses owned by the temple at Kollur. The most spacious, Yatri nivas guest house ( 08254 258328 ) and RN Shetty guest house ( 08254 258522 ) do not book rooms on phone. I have no idea on staying in private lodges there. Being a long weekend ( sep 10 ), ensure a booked room before leaving.
Other nearest options would be at Kundapura - 35 kms ( Hotel Sharon - 08254 230623, JK residency - 08254 233436 ).

Being close to Ganesha Chathurthi, and if not visited earlier, suggest - have darshan at Sri Anegudde Ganapati Temple at Kumbhasi, near Koteshwara, 5 km from Kundapura towards Udupi on NH17.

Hope and wishing you have darshan at Kollur Sri Mookambika Temple this time !
Old 26th August 2010, 15:22   #2418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Last week took Kunigal - Nelmangala route and it was a biggest mistake once again
Sushrutha - Is the Nelamangala - Yeshwantpur strech (elevated road/6-lane highway) not yet complete? I thought it was opened up to public in late July.
Old 26th August 2010, 15:29   #2419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Sushrutha - Is the Nelamangala - Yeshwantpur strech (elevated road/6-lane highway) not yet complete? I thought it was opened up to public in late July.
Last week, my friend took over 2 hours on this road, he found the elevated road closed
Old 26th August 2010, 15:33   #2420
Team-BHP Support

Good thing I took Magadi road yesterday, didn't want to risk Peenya until I get good reports consistently.
Old 26th August 2010, 15:36   #2421
Senior - BHPian

Yeshwanthpur flyover is opened but once you connect to Nelamangala - peenya road you move at a snail pace. even Mysore rooad is supposed to be in bad shape.

looks like we need to enter Bangalore in midnight...

there are times when i have taken 2hrs from Hassana to Nelmangala but 3+ hours Nelamanagala to old Airport road and same with Mysore road....
Old 26th August 2010, 15:49   #2422
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the stretch between Yeshwantpur and Goraguntepalya is going to get messier. Namma Metro will be taking up most of the road and traffic will be diverted onto minor roads

The Hindu : Karnataka / Bangalore News : One more bottleneck on Tumkur Road
Old 26th August 2010, 16:39   #2423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Sushrutha - Is the Nelamangala - Yeshwantpur strech (elevated road/6-lane highway) not yet complete?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Last week, my friend took over 2 hours on this road, he found the elevated road closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Good thing I took Magadi road yesterday, didn't want to risk Peenya until I get good reports consistently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
...but once you connect to Nelamangala - peenya road you move at a snail pace. looks like we need to enter Bangalore in midnight...
there are times when i have taken 2hrs from Hassana to Nelmangala but 3+ hours Nelamanagala to old Airport road and same with Mysore road....
Agreed, but things / traffic conditions on this road is not as bad as it was say, 3 months back. The tollway is complete, just waiting to be inaugurated formally, roads adjoining the tollway are already widened and traffic is smooth. My house and factory are on either side of Tumkur Road at 8th Mile signal and have not faced any issues of traffic pile up for the last 2 months. Kumar ji's friend would have faced an issue last week which may be a stray incident caused due to asphalting service roads adjoining the tollway. Come sep 1st and these issues would be resolved....and drama scene changed to another location.... the Goraguntepalya to yeshwantpur stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Looks like the stretch between Yeshwantpur and Goraguntepalya is going to get messier. Namma Metro will be taking up most of the road and traffic will be diverted onto minor roads

The Hindu : Karnataka / Bangalore News : One more bottleneck on Tumkur Road
Yes, have seen boards on tumkur road making plans to deviate traffic from tumkur road and avoid yeshwantpur railway station ( new entrance )

Think of this... once the tollway opens, we enjoy a 15 minute drive from nelamangala to goraguntepalya and land into an absolute mayhem...

Only buses ( BMTC ) and lorries ( bound for APMC yard ) would be allowed straight from goraguntepalya. Other traffic would either be diverted left towards Hebbal on the ORR or turned right towards Magadi road on the ORR.

Traffic towards hebbal await another bottleneck hell in the form of a double railway level crossing which would aggravate if truck traffic is not stopped into Bangalore.

On the right side ORR , cars and two wheelers can go straight towards Magadi road or turn left at FTI circle and pass kanteerava studios and
narrow Mahalakshmi layout lanes and join chord road at Rajajinagar where another stretch of metro constructions awaits them. Total chaos.

Reading all these, it seems wise to continue using the magadi road to get in / out of Bangalore. those coming in from tumkur / NH4 can continue using the doddaballapur deviation. The new nelamangala tollway is too early to be enjoyed.

Last edited by roamingrao : 26th August 2010 at 16:48.
Old 26th August 2010, 19:15   #2424
BHPian

Chennai to Manipal - How to byepass Mangalore

Hi...

I would traveling from Chennai to Manipal to meet my friend. I have his car with me and would be dropping it off with him and returning in Train. I would be staying over at Bengaluru with my sister for a day and would be proceeding to Manipal. Here, I want to avoid Mangalore and also visit the places below. Pls suggest me the best route. I am quite familiar till Sakleshpur. After that I am a bit lost.

1. Shravanabelagola
2. Kuke Subramanya
3. Dharmasthala
4. Kateel.

Once I am in manipal, my friend would be there with me and we are planning to visit many places. My better half will also be travelling with me. I am open to suggestions and places near Manipal where will be camped for 2 days.
Old 26th August 2010, 19:41   #2425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
would be proceeding to Manipal. Here, I want to avoid Mangalore and also visit the places below.

1. Shravanabelagola
2. Kuke Subramanya
3. Dharmasthala
4. Kateel.
Archish, two options..

Bangalore - Kunigal - Bellur cross - Hirisave - Shravanabelagola - Channarayapatna - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Kukke subramanya - Gundya - Dharmasthala - Ujire - Guruvayankere - Moodabidre - Kateel - kinnigoli - Mulki - Udupi - Manipal

another route to avoid Mangalore after Dharmasthala - Ujire - Guruvayankere - BC road - Take right towards gurupura ( Polali temple arch ) - kaikamba ( gurupura ) - bajpe - kateel - Kinnigoli - Mulki.

Hope this helps..
Old 27th August 2010, 12:28   #2426
Senior - BHPian

Thanks LohithRao and RoamingRoa!

@Lohith: Will keep this in mind, but with kids on tow, I think I might get vetoed out!

@Roaming: Am also waiting for Revy's report.
Old 27th August 2010, 12:59   #2427
BHPian

Toll rates on the Nelamangala toll road

Toll rates were put on display 2 days back.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-picture-065.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-picture-066.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-picture-067.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-picture-068.jpg  

Old 27th August 2010, 13:18   #2428
Senior - BHPian

Nice capture RR, now coming cia nelmangala looks feasible only that nelamangala to kunigal the road is bad...
Old 31st August 2010, 19:24   #2429
Senior - BHPian

I plan to drive to Mangalore from my house in Sarjapur on Saturday morning. I plan to take the NICE road from EC till Tumkur road. From there, where do I take the turn to Magadi (I hear Magadi-Kunigal road is good)?
Also, I heard the NH 48 is in real bad condition between Sakleshpur and Nelyadi. Someone suggested I take the Charmadi Ghat route. Any suggestions here?
Old 31st August 2010, 20:02   #2430
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I plan to drive to Mangalore from my house in Sarjapur on Saturday morning. I plan to take the NICE road from EC till Tumkur road. From there, where do I take the turn to Magadi (I hear Magadi-Kunigal road is good)?
Also, I heard the NH 48 is in real bad condition between Sakleshpur and Nelyadi. Someone suggested I take the Charmadi Ghat route. Any suggestions here?
After the Mysore road exit on NICE road, you will see the Magadi road exit next before Tumkur road. Thats where you need get out of NICE road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks