Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2012, 13:56   #3916
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Took the same route. After Sringeri we went to Dharmastala. Roads are in good condition.

EDIT: Just saw that you own a swift, you don't have to worry about bottoming. He he.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
The best road to Horanadu from Bangalore is Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Gendehalli - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Kalasa - Horanadu. The roads are in good condition except for few places on Belur - Gendehalli. But no big deal.

Thanks a lot. Will I be able to reach Sringeri before sundown by covering Belur, Horanadu on the way if I start from BLR at around 6-7AM ?

For return I was thinking to include Halebeedu on the return. I can skip that for Agumbe. That sounds tempting to me, because of photo ops
Old 24th January 2012, 14:12   #3917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzien123 View Post
Say starting at 6AM on Republic day (less local traffic along the way) -
BLR to Sakleshpur takes 3 hours,
reach Gundya in another 1.5hrs,
reach Mangalore in another 2 hours.

Sounds good to me.
Any comments?
I am starting on 26/Jan as well at around 6AM from Jayanagar. Will be taking the kanakapura Nice road all the way to magadi exit. Will go through Magadi road and enter NH48.

I am expecting my drive all the way to Mlore will take about 8 hrs. I am going in my red A*-AT.
Old 24th January 2012, 14:33   #3918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Thanks a lot. Will I be able to reach Sringeri before sundown by covering Belur, Horanadu on the way if I start from BLR at around 6-7AM ?

For return I was thinking to include Halebeedu on the return. I can skip that for Agumbe. That sounds tempting to me, because of photo ops
Don't stop before Hassan for BF and have BF in Hassan. That way you can reach faster when there is less traffic specially between Bellur cross and hassan where road widening is still on. You can see both. Belur and Halebid and still reach Sringeri before evening. If you want to see Shravanabelgola you may have to skip Halebidu as it will take time climbing etc. Make a choice. I would recommend you to see both belur and Halebid this time and plan Shravanabelgola, Gorur dam and Nuggehalli temple as a day trip.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 14:36   #3919

Hey thanks for letting know, we could try and sync up, drive together as long as we can. I expect to stop at CR Nagar kamath's for breakfast.
Please find me on facebook, we can exchange info. Would have liked to send a private message, but couldn't find an easy way to do that - may be because I am a newbie?
I would normally go From Kanakpura Rd to Tumkur Rd via NICE - it has always been ripping fast (as expected) and also I think staying on free, wide road helps.
Any reason behind exiting at Magadi Road?
Old 24th January 2012, 15:22   #3920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzien123 View Post
I would normally go From Kanakpura Rd to Tumkur Rd via NICE - it has always been ripping fast (as expected) and also I think staying on free, wide road helps.
Any reason behind exiting at Magadi Road?
Will PM you and we will sync up. I usually pick the Magadi road exit as the drive is more scenic and also I think it saves me some time. Especially on the way back I can totally bypass all bangalore traffic.

Also note that I haven't been to mangalore since NH48 became 4 lane but I still suspect I have a fondness for magadi road route

Edit:
Looks like I can't PM you. I couldnt locate you on FB. I am on FB. Just search for "Ashwin K Karkala"

Last edited by ash_blore : 24th January 2012 at 15:26.
Old 24th January 2012, 16:12   #3921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Will PM you and we will sync up. I usually pick the Magadi road exit as the drive is more scenic and also I think it saves me some time. Especially on the way back I can totally bypass all bangalore traffic.

Also note that I haven't been to mangalore since NH48 became 4 lane but I still suspect I have a fondness for magadi road route
Although the drive is scenic, going via Magadi is in no way faster than the Nelamangala route. It's been a while since I took the Magadi road, but when I last traveled on it, the road was horrible inside Magadi and was breaking up after it. Not sure if the condition has improved now.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 17:01   #3922
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Although the drive is scenic, going via Magadi is in no way faster than the Nelamangala route. It's been a while since I took the Magadi road, but when I last traveled on it, the road was horrible inside Magadi and was breaking up after it. Not sure if the condition has improved now.
. Its been a while since I also took the Magadi road. After the 100% completion of 4 laning from Nelemangala till Bellur cross, taking NH4 till Nelemangala and then NH48 there after is definitely the fastest option today.
Old 24th January 2012, 20:39   #3923
Senior - BHPian

Magadi road may be an option if you leave very early in the morning when there is no traffic on the road. The traffic slows you down very badly after 8 AM till Magadi. But as Parag and Addy rightly said, it is not a great option now since the four laning of NH48 is done. No doubt it is scenic especially after rains.
Old 25th January 2012, 11:49   #3924
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzien123
Say starting at 6AM on Republic day (less local traffic along the way) -
BLR to Sakleshpur takes 3 hours,
reach Gundya in another 1.5hrs,
reach Mangalore in another 2 hours.

Sounds good to me.
Any comments?
Reporting from the road. Just did Gundya Checkpost to sakleshpur bus stand in 43 minutes, this is while climbing up. In other words, Shiradi is fully patched up.
Samurai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 13:12   #3925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Reporting from the road. Just did Gundya Checkpost to sakleshpur bus stand in 43 minutes, this is while climbing up. In other words, Shiradi is fully patched up.
Thanks for the info. I am looking fwd to my drive tomorrow. A patched up Shiradi is always good . Will try and take some pics of shiradi and post them.
Old 25th January 2012, 13:26   #3926
Senior - BHPian

yesterday drove down to Bangalor, total time i took about 6.5hours to reach yeshwanthpur...

through out road condition is very favorable

Last edited by lohithrao : 25th January 2012 at 13:27.
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 14:22   #3927
Team-BHP Support

I did Manipal to Bangalore today, door to door it took 7.5 hours, including 45 minutes worth of breaks.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 23:00   #3928

Went to Mangalore on 21st Jan, covered Bangalore (Sarjapur Road) - Mangalore in 8 hrs with breaks via Magadi Road. Returned today from Byndoor via Mangalore, covered the distance in 11 hours with breaks.

The road patch up work was still being done on 21st Jan. But today, as Samurai-san already reported, the road is fully patched up.

Update on Magadi Road: There are two bad stretches in Magadi around (500mts in total) where cars with low GC might scrape. I had no problems in my Getz.

OT- I witnessed Tata Nano driven at 100Kmph close to Kunigal town. Not sure if it is really safe to be driven at that speeds close to 100Kmph.
Old 26th January 2012, 12:25   #3929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepv26 View Post
Returned today from Byndoor via Mangalore, covered the distance in 11 hours with breaks.
Since you came via Mangalore, could you please share inputs on the condition of NH17 b/w Mangalore and Kundapura? How is the 4-lane work going?

Wanted to PM you but did not get the option.
Old 26th January 2012, 12:50   #3930

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Since you came via Mangalore, could you please share inputs on the condition of NH17 b/w Mangalore and Kundapura? How is the 4-lane work going?

Wanted to PM you but did not get the option.
The four lane work is still going and will take some time to complete. Atleast one side of the road is open all the way and is wide enough to handle traffic from both the directions, there are diversions at regular intervals. There are a few rough patches, but should not be a problem even for cars with low GC.

I drove at a leisurely pace and still could manage to cover the distance from Byndoor - Mangalore in less than 3 hours.
sandeepv26 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks