Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2012, 15:53   #4066
Senior - BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMind View Post
@prasad14 Thank you very much for your suggestion. I am taking it.

@Samurai

Thank you even more for suggesting to hit up Udupi. Is there any chance of meeting you ? Considering that you live in/around Udupi ?

Places are also good. Please suggest some good beaches/ places around the general area of my visit. Not sure if I can spend more than a few hours on any of them though honestly considering my packed schedule.
Are you driving down to udupi ?

There is a stretch of virgin beach(almost) and a thin stretch of land separates backwaters and the sea. Finally the backwater joins the sea(river delta), I dont know the name, but when i searched google.. it says Kodi-bengre. There is also another good beach just before this called Kemmannu - @Samurai i am sure you have explored these

kodi bengre, udupi - Google Maps

There is hardly any crowd here and i love to spend evenings peacefully watching sunset and let me son chase the crabs(plenty of them)

Off beat place and i feel like recommending it.

Apart from that the usual Malpe beach has alot of water sports, and there is Kapu beach as well.
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 16:16   #4067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Are you driving down to udupi ?

There is a stretch of virgin beach(almost) and a thin stretch of land separates backwaters and the sea. Finally the backwater joins the sea(river delta),
@rajshenoy: This sounds great. Please post some pics. Also, what is the easier approach to this place, form Malpe?

@nomind: I recommend Surathkal beach (opposite NITK). The view from the Shiva temple extends upto port and is stunning. It also has a light house and for odd NITK crowd, hardly have people. You can enjoy some snacks at the shops opp. NITK. (Disclosure: I'm an NITK alumni).

Prasad (RamP!)
Old 11th May 2012, 16:50   #4068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
@rajshenoy: This sounds great. Please post some pics. Also, what is the easier approach to this place, form Malpe?
I am not really a shutterbug, but i assure you that the place is unspoilt and there will hardly be any crowd because of connectivity issues. If you have a car, just drive down and you can stop anywhere along the stretch and jump into the beach.

Lets see if Local guru like Samurai knows the place and has pics. You can look into the Google map link that i shared to spot the location and guess how beautiful it would be.
directions would be towards kalyanpur and you can ask someone for directions to Kemmannu beach. Once you reach the dead end, turn right and keep driving further till the road ends(River Delta, few kms of coconut groves separating back water and the sea). There is a Shipping yard(forgot the name) on the opposite side of the backwater.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 16:54   #4069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
You can look into the Google map link that i shared to spot the location and guess how beautiful it would be.
directions would be towards kalyanpur and you can ask someone for directions to Kemmannu beach. Once you reach the dead end, turn right and keep driving further till the road ends(River Delta, few kms of coconut groves separating back water and the sea). There is a Shipping yard(forgot the name) on the opposite side of the backwater.
Thanks. It does look wonderful in google maps. Shall definitely going there in my next trip to Udupi. Thanks for sharing this gem.

Prasad (RamP!)
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 17:12   #4070
BHPian

@rajshenoy
Thank you for sharing info about all these lovely places. The beaches look fantastic.

@prasad14
Thank you again for your recommendation.

I am planning now to do this, I need ideas on structuring this trip and halts and ideas for stays.

Day 1: Bangalore to Kukke and onwards to dharmasthala , Dharmasthala to Kateel , HALT Here
Day 2: Dharmasthala to Kateel , onwards to udupi , Horanadu Halt ?
Day 3: back to bangalore

Link for the trip so far:

http://bit.ly/KLVS1D

I know it's pretty short notice so Please Help !
Old 11th May 2012, 20:13   #4071
BHPian

Quote:
Day 1: Bangalore to Kukke and onwards to dharmasthala , Dharmasthala to Kateel , HALT Here

!
Let me attempt.

Day 1: The only problem in covering Kukke, Dharmasthala and Kateel is the time taken for darshan as these temples are closed post lunch. Kateel is a small place and have no accommodation. You should plan to stay either in Surathkal or in Udupi (depends on which beach you choose to visit, Udupi has more options for all budgets). Udupi temple is open from early morning till late night, so its not a problem. I do not know stay options in Dharmsthala.

Day 2: Horanadu too is a small place. Except for the acco provided by the temple (if any), there'd be no other place. You can stay in Kalasa (www.silentvalley.net/) is a decent option. I'm not sure you plan to visit Sringeri too. But it is possible to do so. You could visit Udupi temple(s) in the morning, be in Sringeri around noon and reach Kalasa by evening and stay there.

Day 3: You could do Kalasa-Horanadu and after Darshan/Lunch return back to Bangalore.

Happy journey.

Prasad (RamP!)
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 20:26   #4072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@rajshenoy
Thank you for sharing info about all these lovely places. The beaches look fantastic.

@prasad14
Thank you again for your recommendation.

I am planning now to do this, I need ideas on structuring this trip and halts and ideas for stays.

Link for the trip so far:

http://bit.ly/KLVS1D

I know it's pretty short notice so Please Help !
Kateel is very small city. Instead you can cover extra 1 hour to perhaps stay in Udupi.
Any special reason going via Tiptur ? From chikmaglur, you can also take the Belur-hasan and bangalore.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 11th May 2012 at 20:27.
Old 11th May 2012, 22:44   #4073
BHPian

@prasad14 I should have clarified about stay at Kateel. I intended to stay at Surathkal and enjoy the secluded beaches there little bit.

@rajshenoy Thanks for your suggestion. It makes a lot of sense to go through the route you suggest. One clarification , Will that route go through Chennarayapatna ?
Old 12th May 2012, 10:49   #4074
BHPian

Quote:
@prasad14 I should have clarified about stay at Kateel. I intended to stay at Surathkal and enjoy the secluded beaches there little bit.

@rajshenoy Thanks for your suggestion. It makes a lot of sense to go through the route you suggest. One clarification , Will that route go through Chennarayapatna ?
Belur-Hassan-B'lore would go through Channarayapatna.

About stay in hornadu, you do have options apart from the temple accommodation. But i feel, temple accommodation itself is very good. And also, there are nice places to visit around horanadu and kalasa.
Old 12th May 2012, 14:05   #4075
BHPian

@JMaruru Thank you for your reply.

So guys I have changed the plans around a little bit. I just finished visiting Kukke Subrahmanya Temple. Its already 2 PM. So visting Dharmasthala now would be out of picture.

I am planning to go onto Surathkal and Stay at SAi Suraj. Visit Kateel today evening and Maybe even Udupi.

Else Start from Surathkal tomorrow morning and go on to Udupi. From there to Dharmasthala and on to Horanadu. Stay at temple acco tomorrow night . Visit some places around Hoaranadu /kalasa Monday Morning and
start back to Bangalore.

Question thought: What's interesting to visit around horanadu/kalasa(pardon my ignorance) ?

Thanks to everyone for suggesting places.
Old 12th May 2012, 14:32   #4076
BHPian

Quote:
@JMaruru Thank you for your reply.

Else Start from Surathkal tomorrow morning and go on to Udupi. From there to Dharmasthala and on to Horanadu. Stay at temple acco tomorrow night . Visit some places around Hoaranadu /kalasa Monday Morning and
start back to Bangalore.

Question thought: What's interesting to visit around horanadu/kalasa(pardon my ignorance) ?

Thanks to everyone for suggesting places.
Udupi > Dharmasthala > Hornadu will be like doing a zig zag.

About places around hornadu, like there is hanumanagundi falls which is in your way towards hornadu from karkala, and lakya dam in kudremukh. There is Ambutirtha, kalaseshwara temple and a nice viewpoint above that in kalasa.
Old 15th May 2012, 21:29   #4077

Hi ,

Planning to Visit Kukke at the end of this month for 2 days. What is the state of Road condition in Shiradi ghats, now that it would have received good showers by now? Please suggest.

Thanks in advance..
Old 16th May 2012, 00:09   #4078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatsar View Post
Hi ,

Planning to Visit Kukke at the end of this month for 2 days. What is the state of Road condition in Shiradi ghats, now that it would have received good showers by now? Please suggest.

Thanks in advance..
I visited Mangalore a week and a half back and Shiradi is in great condition. Roads throughout are fantastic except for diversions between Belur Cross and Hassan.
Old 17th May 2012, 00:16   #4079
BHPian

Hi

I would be traveling this Saturday to Murudeshwar from Bangalore. I need to pick up my parents at Mangalore airport (expected to land at 11.00 am). Need help on the following

1. How much time does it normally take from Bangalore (HSR layout) to Mangalore airport if I start at arnd 4.30/5.00 am?
2. Do you recommend taking the inner roads from BC Road Jn or go all the way unto Pumpwell circle in Mangalore then go to Bajpe?
3. Do you suggest taking the road through Kateel- Mulki-udupi or Bajpe- surathkal-udupi ?
4. Any info about darshan timings at Kollur mookambika temple?
Old 18th May 2012, 10:46   #4080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshurs
Hi

I would be traveling this Saturday to Murudeshwar from Bangalore. I need to pick up my parents at Mangalore airport (expected to land at 11.00 am). Need help on the following

1. How much time does it normally take from Bangalore (HSR layout) to Mangalore airport if I start at arnd 4.30/5.00 am?
2. Do you recommend taking the inner roads from BC Road Jn or go all the way unto Pumpwell circle in Mangalore then go to Bajpe?
3. Do you suggest taking the road through Kateel- Mulki-udupi or Bajpe- surathkal-udupi ?
4. Any info about darshan timings at Kollur mookambika temple?
1.if u start at 5am from hsr layout, my best calculation says u ll be at bajpe at 12 pm to 12 30 pm, advised not to do breakfast at hassan as u need to get off the bypass and loose time. Plan breakfast at sakleshpur. Its just next to road u save time.

2. Theres a road from bc road to bajpe, which goes thru gurupura. Gurupura is on mangalore to moodbidri road. Go north when u hit this road , look for deviation to left for bajpe. There are sign boards. Not sure of road conditions from bc road to gurupura but from gurupura to bajpe was good , but last i went was a year back.

But if u take the pumpwell road the entire section is fantastic till the airport.
Another thing u need to know is entrance to airport is not the same as it used to be, its much earlier. Just look for a sign board, its a steep drive up.

3. From bajpe , my suggestion is to get bak to mlore and cruise on the highway. Roads are pretty narrow and not all that good in the interiors and reckless bus drivers. I guess do an enquiry from local taxi or bus guys they ll kno very well.

4. http://www.srimookambika.com/mookamb...ja-timing.html
drkakkilaya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks