Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2012, 14:55   #4156
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

[quote=cool_dube;2861677]Given the above, I presume you did Bangalore - Kundapura via Mangalore. How is the Mangalore-Kundapura stretch in terms of 4-lane work? How much time did you take for this stretch?
QUOTE]

The 4 lane work has literally stalled at many sites.Just not progressing.The stretch is very risky to drive during the nights.Very hard to track down the sudden deviations.i drove this stretch during day light and could cover Mlore-Kundapur in 100 minutes.
Old 7th August 2012, 15:35   #4157
Senior - BHPian

Adding to this, even in stretches which have been completed people drive in wrong lane, a week back spotted 4 accidents..

btw, Charmadi is open and road connecting hornadu and kudremukha is closed due to flooding and even kumaradhara river in subramanya is flowing over the bridge...

This is a per "udayavani"

meanwhile last few days its raining pretty well in the coast too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Update on Mangalore to Kundapura 4lane...

The work is slow as a snail, lots of unfinished steches and deviations...this means frustrating during heavy traffic. avoid driving during the night, can be really dangerous if its raining...

Last edited by lohithrao : 7th August 2012 at 16:03.
Old 8th August 2012, 10:22   #4158

Hi All..I'm planning for a trip from Mysore to Jog and then towards the coast (Murudeshwar, Maravanthe) during 17-20th Aug. How is the road condition in NH17/ Near Shimoga with all the rains lashing the coastal and malnad regions? I planned to return back to Mysore from Maravanthe through Udupi-Karkala-Kudremukh-Mudigere-Hassan. Just to enjoy the western ghats during monsoon. Is it a good idea..given the facts that my family will be there and I drive an Alto LXi! By the way how is stretch between Chikmagalur and Tarikere...the road was in top shape and extremely scenic during Fe'12.
Old 10th August 2012, 08:13   #4159
BHPian

Am planning a trip to kukke from bangalore on 19th, can anyone give me an insight of the road conditions around shiradi ghat we are 5 ppl with 1 kid
Old 10th August 2012, 09:41   #4160
Senior - BHPian

Be careful on Shiradi - Deep potholes to watch out for and gravel on the turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No serious potholes so far. .
Just back from a same day return trip to Udipi via Mangalore . Actually there are a couple of bad ones . I drove when it was raining very heavy and had my exhaust damaged( it actually cracked open ) when I went over 2 deep potholes within 100 metres!

One also has to be very careful from BC Road onwards on the 4 laned stretches. 1- watch for overspeeding maniacs ,2- watch out for morons coming from the wrong side .

Took me 7 hours to reach Udipi, while it took 9 hours on the return leg because of jams on the ghat
Old 10th August 2012, 11:55   #4161
Senior - BHPian

Re: Be careful on Shiradi - Deep potholes to watch out for and gravel on the turns

It has become a norm to drive/ride in "wrong way" these days, and this can be reall dangerous on 4lane, you can find people doing this even on surathkal flyover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post

One also has to be very careful from BC Road onwards on the 4 laned stretches. 1- watch for overspeeding maniacs ,2- watch out for morons coming from the wrong side .
Old 10th August 2012, 12:52   #4162
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to mention about this underconstruction toll booth just after the BC road bridge . It is very confusing in the night as there is only a single vehicle width l gap on the LHS to pass through on either sides. Someone driving fast can end up demolishing this structure .

I never exceed 80 kph on the 4 laned stretch from BC Road onwards
Old 10th August 2012, 16:22   #4163

Planning to drive on 15Aug. Should be largely ok to go through Shiradi I think.
Old 11th August 2012, 15:37   #4164
BHPian

Thanks for the latest updates. I am starting for Udupi early morning tomorrow for a 4 trip. Also looking forward to a trip to Shetty Lunch Home at Kundapura. I received my Team BHP sticker set couple of days back... so looking forward to make my first road trip with the sticker :-) More power to Team-BHP!!
Old 12th August 2012, 17:52   #4165
BHPian

Hi Guys, any idea on Bangalore Tarikere roads, and also the best route
Old 13th August 2012, 08:56   #4166
BHPian

Just came back last night (12/Aug) from Mangalore via Shiradi.

Firstly, it had been raining and was raining on the drive to Mangalore (10/Aug) non-stop in the ghats. During the return there was no rain and we could enjoy the beauty of the ghats to the maximum. Its lush green and full of life and color. Wonderful!

Now the roads!!
Shiradi is fast fast breaking up. On the way to Mangalore there were only a few pot holes and almost no loose rubble. However, on the return last evening, the road seemed to be much much worse with lots of loose rubble everywhere. This can only mean that the rubble came from the road and given the rains and the traffic, it going to get much worse.
I suspect in the next few days it will deteriorate a lot. So if anyone is planning on making a trip using this road, better make it fast!
Old 13th August 2012, 09:30   #4167
Team-BHP Support

Since August 5th there has been a huge amount of rain in the coast and the ghats. As a result road has been deteriorating very fast. Even a week old status is not worth depending on. Yesterday my mother reported that they have not seen the sun since last sunday.
Old 13th August 2012, 11:06   #4168
Senior - BHPian

Yup, till yesterday morning it was raining a lot and i think around mangalore between thursday to Sat where it rained real hard.

today seem to be bit clear and i think will be clear entire day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Since August 5th there has been a huge amount of rain in the coast and the ghats. As a result road has been deteriorating very fast. Even a week old status is not worth depending on. Yesterday my mother reported that they have not seen the sun since last sunday.
Old 13th August 2012, 15:20   #4169
Senior - BHPian

Belur-Mudigere

Folks...

I might do Charmadi sometime this monsoon. A query to those who have done the Belur-Mudigere stretch recently. Which is a better option - via Gendehalli or via Gonebidu (or if there is a third/better option)?
Old 13th August 2012, 15:54   #4170
BHPian

Re: Belur-Mudigere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Folks...

I might do Charmadi sometime this monsoon. A query to those who have done the Belur-Mudigere stretch recently. Which is a better option - via Gendehalli or via Gonebidu (or if there is a third/better option)?
No need to go via Gendehalli. The Gonibeedu route is asphalted and fun to drive (as of 1st week of Jun).

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks