Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:14   #3406
Team-BHP Support

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandlimitedlife View Post
I think lazybrain agrees with me that Dr Rajkumar Road is most convenient at non-peak hour.
So the idea is:

- Hit Malleshwaram 17th Cross.
- Cross the railway over bridge.
- Drive to T junction on Rajkumar road and continue.

Thanks Guys.
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:09   #3407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post

There was a nasty accident yesterday morning after C.R Patna itseems.
Also a huge traffic pile up. Police deviated the traffic through Shravanabelagola, so had to drive thru S'Belagola
The road is in superb condition & very scenic too.
Yes .A bangalore bound bus had a head on collision with a truck when the bus swerved to avoid crashing into a parked truck ,which had probably broken down !!! .Heard the bus driver lost his leg.

One good thing about the NH48 has been that we dont come across truckers stopping on the road due to breakdowns .Very rare is it that I have come across these .But now ,with 4 lanes and widening ...i did see a couple of truckers who had parked right in the fast lane!!!!

Like all other 4 lane highways,one needs to be careful of drivers coming the wrong side as well.

On the ghat ,it was nothing less than awesome !!!

We did Mangalore - Bangalore in about 6 hours in the lancer ( including the block near C patna )
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:44   #3408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Hit Malleshwaram 17th Cross.
- Cross the railway over bridge.
- Drive to T junction on Rajkumar road and continue.
This was discussed here. Peak or non peak hours, yeshwantpur stretch ( opposite new Rly terminal ) to nelamangala toll road is advised to be avoided. Metro work goes on 24 hours. Traffic to Peenya Indl area starts at 6am till the last outstation bus that leaves beyond midnight.

alternate : City Railway station - magadi road - Kamakshipalya - right turn to ORR - Rajkumar samadhi - left turn onto NH4 at goraguntepalya. Traffic 'flows' at all times.

another option : Hebbal - Bel circle - NH4 ( 2 rly level crossings and truck traffic )
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:50   #3409
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, asking this question again, as I somehow could not dig out that question on this same thread.

1. How do I access Tumkur road, when coming via Sankey tank?
2. IISc circle I know is closed.
3. Is Yashwantpur circle also closed?
4. Last time I was told to hit 8th main from Sankey and arrive at the Yashwantpur circle.
Assuming you are coming from Bellary road side, try this out which AFAIK is a far better option. Search in GoogleMaps with the following options:-
A: Sankey Road, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560003 (Cauvery Theatre)
B: Sankey Tank, Bengaluru, Karnataka
C: Kodandarampura, Bangalore, Karnataka (Sadashiv Nagar Police Station)
D: Tata Institute Bus Stop/Towards Yeshwanthpur & Mathikere, CV Raman Rd, Malleshwaram, Bengaluru, Karnataka
E: Yeshwanthpur

We take this quite often to goto Yeshwantpur Rly Stn and found it extremely convenient and straight-forward than going inside Malleswaram or Rajajinagar. Basically, the regular route from Cauvery theater will have a signal just before Sankey Tank. Then, you have Sankey Tank on your right. Instead, this alternative route will have Sankey Tank on your left. Once the tank periphery is over, you will touch the road from Mekhri circle to Yeswantpur in a few meters. Take left and you get the traffic signal next to Sadashivanagar Police Station. Go straight and join back the old route in front of the IISc main gate.

Last edited by ajithbr : 2nd June 2011 at 15:52.
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:54   #3410
BHPian

The road stretch on the Shiradi ghat is very bad, better to avoid this route, you can travel via Madikere or Travel via Hassan, Belur, Belthangady route, you can bypass and reach Udupi.

There are a veg restaurants in Mangalore Taj Mahal is ( Hampkatte circle ), Woodlands is another good hotel near Jyothi circle. One more Taj Mahal hotel is Opp Ram Bhavan complex, Ayodhya is located near PVS building, There is a new hotel in higher category OCEAN next to Taj Mahal, Rambhavan complex. In case of Non Veg there is one hotel in Mannagudde circle.

It is better to fuel up in Mangalore if you want premium or power petrol. In Udupi you have Kediyoor hotel and Paradise near Diana hotel is very good for non veg.
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:13   #3411
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the response folks. So where exactly the elevated toll road starts?
What is the distance from Yashwantpur fly-over to the start of elevated toll road?
So the troubled stretch should be that part of the route.
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:29   #3412
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response folks. So where exactly the elevated toll road starts?
What is the distance from Yashwantpur fly-over to the start of elevated toll road?
So the troubled stretch should be that part of the route.

The elevated road starts exactly 100 mtr after the ring road junction(Junction where u make a left from Tumkur road to go towards Mysore Road Side on the ORR).

Distance on the elevated road till nelamangala is about 17km. You should be able to do this stretch in about 15 - 18 mins and the toll is 15 rupees.
bandlimitedlife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:51   #3413
BHPian

Quote:
So where exactly the elevated toll road starts?
Hope this is clear
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-road-map.jpg  

roamingrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:58   #3414
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Folks monsoon as begun, as always places around Subramanya recieves very heavy rainfall. people planning the trip need to consider this.
I hear people get stuck because of river overflowing over a bridge on the way to Subramanya. Is it a bad idea to go to Subramanya between Jun 15 & 30? How/where does one check if one wants to go there?
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:36   #3415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I hear people get stuck because of river overflowing over a bridge on the way to Subramanya. Is it a bad idea to go to Subramanya between Jun 15 & 30? How/where does one check if one wants to go there?
It is difficult to time this. Normally this happens 2 or 3 days during monsoon, but more towards mid July I suppose. But western ghats would be so beautiful during monsoon.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:22   #3416
Senior - BHPian

I dont think this time around their will be a flooding as few days back i read in a local daily that they have constructed a small dam which may avaoid the flooding, however at the forest checkpost in gundya they will surely let you know if thier is a flooding, also keep a check on this thread have a safe drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:13   #3417
Senior - BHPian

Heard that cars can do the Sullia-Madikeri route now .Even though its not officially opened for public,I heard that one can pay an unofficial toll of 100rs without receipt and drive on this stretch . Does anybody have any updates?

Has anyone of us driven through Charmadi in the last 1-2 months ?
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:59   #3418
BHPian

Re: Madikeri - Sullya - Mangalore??

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Heard that cars can do the Sullia-Madikeri route now .Even though its not officially opened for public,I heard that one can pay an unofficial toll of 100rs without receipt and drive on this stretch . Does anybody have any updates?
Does any one here have update on madikeri - sullya route? Coz i would have to travel to madikeri and then further onto mangalore. Is there any other alternatives from madikeri towards mangalore? Please advice.
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:22   #3419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Does any one here have update on madikeri - sullya route? Coz i would have to travel to madikeri and then further onto mangalore. Is there any other alternatives from madikeri towards mangalore? Please advice.
It is closed. Just check this post by Airguitar on the latest.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ed-july-2.html

Last edited by Fauji : 3rd June 2011 at 17:24.
Old 3rd June 2011, 23:19   #3420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
It is closed. Just check this post by Airguitar on the latest.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ed-july-2.html
But i heard, from June 1st they are allowing cars to ply on the sampaje ghat. Heavy vehicles might have been barred.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks