Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 14:57   #3286
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How about metro construction on Magadi road?
That was also bad some time back.
You are right ampere. But when compared, traffic moves ( ! ) on this 1km metro work stretch ( from Venkateshwara textiles to Prasanna cinema junction ) at all times. Yes, the road is rough.
roamingrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 15:21   #3287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Right, It's in best possible condition as of now. Most of the road has been relaid n re tarred.
Just one scary hump before the Jenubailu bridge. Rest is in superb condition.
I had taken this route last friday till Agumbe
Can you tell where is this bridge, is it before or after Sringeri? I will be driving to Sringeri during 2nd week of May taking the CKM-Balehonnur-Jayapura route, hence would like to be careful when approaching this hump.
Old 29th April 2011, 15:53   #3288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How about metro construction on Magadi road?
That was also bad some time back. Has it improved off late?
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
You are right ampere. But when compared, traffic moves ( ! ) on this 1km metro work stretch ( from Venkateshwara textiles to Prasanna cinema junction ) at all times. Yes, the road is rough.
Metro Construction work is still going on and as roamingrao says, bad stretch is only between Leprosy hospital and Toll gate junction. Beyond that Magadi road is relatively (traffic) jam free.
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:18   #3289
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Shivamogga - Tirthahalli Road condition

Returned from a day trip to Tirthahalli from Bangalore. Road conditions are very good except for following stretches

a) A KM after you complete Tumkur bye pass and join back the NH - They are widening and doing up the road. It is little messy.

b) The complete stretch as you reach Tiptur and till you exit. Small potholes and broken road. A distance of 4 KMs

c) Arsikere - Banavara: It is narrow road with some broken patches. Not bad as such and Manageable except that it slows you down.

We left our home on Bannerghatta road near South City (MICO LAyout) at 5.15 AM and were in Shivamogga at 9.20 AM and Tirthahalli at 10.15 without break.

On the way back we left Tirthahalli at 1.30 PM and we were in back in home at 8 PM after twenty minutes break at Kadur for Lunch.

Vinayaka Cafe in Kadur and Preethi Canteen in Birur are good places to eat. We found Preethi closed in the aftrenoon at 3 PM. Both serve to the car.
Old 4th May 2011, 12:55   #3290
BHPian

Bangalore-Udupi Trip this weekend

1. How is the shiradi ghat road condition? We are planning to leave around 5am from Bangalore.

2. We have my parents and 4 month old daughter with us. So any relevant suggestion would be good. Good places to stop en-route. We would take the bangalore - nelamangala - hassan - shiradi ghat - mangalore - udupi route

3. we would driving to udupi first time. Any guidance/suggestion to help in the journey would be really thankful.

4. What are good places to eat/drink/refresh en route. We are leaving around 5 am from Bangalore

Gurus, please help.
Old 4th May 2011, 13:26   #3291
Team-BHP Support

The Signal at IISc was closed some time back. Is it open now?
How are people getting on to NH4 from the city?
Old 4th May 2011, 13:29   #3292
BHPian

Quote:
The Signal at IISc was closed some time back. Is it open now?
How are people getting on to NH4 from the city?
It was not open last week. There are some diversion signs at the end of the sampige road, which takes you through insides of malleshwaram and BHEL onto the Y'Pur Junction. You can also follow general direction of the traffic, which invariably leads to the Y'Pur Junction.

Last edited by JMaruru : 4th May 2011 at 13:45.
Old 4th May 2011, 13:33   #3293
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
Bangalore-Udupi Trip this weekend

1. How is the shiradi ghat road condition? We are planning to leave around 5am from Bangalore.

2. We have my parents and 4 month old daughter with us. So any relevant suggestion would be good. Good places to stop en-route. We would take the bangalore - nelamangala - hassan - shiradi ghat - mangalore - udupi route

3. we would driving to udupi first time. Any guidance/suggestion to help in the journey would be really thankful.

4. What are good places to eat/drink/refresh en route. We are leaving around 5 am from Bangalore

Gurus, please help.
Shiradi ghat is a bliss to drive now. The entire of NH48,is in fact in a great condition. You should defenitely enjoy the drive. Since you are driving for the first time, I would not suggest the Dharmasthala - Karkala - Udupi route to you. However even this road is good to drive and is also shorter compared to going to Udupi via Mangalore.
Just watch out the BC-road and Udupi sector, thanks to the diversions and road widening work.
En-route you can find good restaurants in Sakaleshpur. Hotel Ossur and Hotel Surabhi are good places to eat. Hotel Ossur is 4 kms before Sakaleshpur town. Hotel Surabhi is beside the town bus stand.
Old 4th May 2011, 15:57   #3294
BHPian

Shiradi Ghat Roads are in the best possible condition now. Not sure how it will withstand the rains. I had been to Mangalore from Bangalore on April 23rd via Nelamangala-Hassan-Sakaleshpura-Shiradi-BC Road-Mangalore route. We left around 5:30AM and reached Mangalore by 12:30PM with one hour break in CCD in chennarayapattana.

The roads from Nelamangala to kunigal are an absolute pleasure to drive. there are some deviations but manageable. Kunigal Bypass was not open when I was travelling so had to deviate into the kunigal city, Roads here are just OK. after the city you will again join back to the 4 lanes but only for a short period before it becomes 2 lanes. but roads are good for most part.

The best part is the shiradi ghats. Roads have been completely re-laid with some hard bitumen compounds on the big turns. Below are some pics of Shiradi Ghats and onwards till Mangalore. Roads are all of same quality as in the pics through out till mangalore
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-m_picture-010.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-m_picture-011.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-m_picture-015.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-m_picture-018.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-m_picture-019.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-m_picture-020.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-m_picture-031.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-m_picture-145.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-m_picture-161.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-m_picture-037.jpg  

Old 4th May 2011, 20:28   #3295
BHPian

shiradi ghat is back to it's glorious days. Wait for a couple of months & the Madikeri-Mangalore SH will open up, giving a never before option for driving between Bangalore-Mangalore on good roads. Now that the iron ore trucks are off, the condtion of these roads may not worsen
Old 4th May 2011, 22:04   #3296
BHPian

just drove from bangalore to mangalore today on shiradi. Must say the ghats are awesome. no pot holes, not a single one. I hope they stay like this after rains as well.

On another note, drove to udupi and back(return was fully in the dark). Massive 4 lane construction in progress. Terrible drive on the way back in the dark. Will not do it again!! Will be back in the hotel by 7pm
Old 5th May 2011, 11:19   #3297
BHPian

Hi friends,
On my way from Kochi to Nainital by mid-June, I propose to take GQ to maximum.
1. Which is nearest to enter it from Kochi, Bangalore or Tumkur? (Easiest connecting road too has to be considered)
2. We have plan to visit Goa too, on way or on return: Is Mangalore-Goa road in good shape?
3. Which is shortest from Goa to GQ?
4. From Kochi, is it Mangalore-Goa- GQ entry is short/easy than Kochi- Bangalore entry?
(Sorry if off-topic, newbie cannot make a new thread as per BHP rule, but need info asap)

Thanks in advance...
Old 5th May 2011, 13:10   #3298
BHPian

How is the Gundya-Dharmasthala-Belthangady-Karkala-Manipal roads now? Can anybody please help? Should take this route or the Mangalore-Udupi route after Shiradi ghat to reach manipal/udupi?
Old 5th May 2011, 13:16   #3299
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
How is the Gundya-Dharmasthala-Belthangady-Karkala-Manipal roads now? Can anybody please help? Should take this route or the Mangalore-Udupi route after Shiradi ghat to reach manipal/udupi?
This road is good, barring a few rough patches. But be prepared to encounter a lot a lot of truck traffic after Dharmasthala. The traffic after Karkala is very less.
Old 5th May 2011, 13:24   #3300
BHPian

Coming weekend I am going to Kundapur via Shimoga (I have to visit relatives in Shimoga hence Sringeri route isn't taken). Knowing route from Thirthahalli via Hulikal ghats, I will take route via Agumbe. I need your help in following issues.

1) Now I have no idea about route between Thirthahalli and Agumbe. Google maps shows me route via Guddekeri (state highway 1). Is this the route better? Or route suggested by Karthikk is better one?

2) Where to have Breakfast? : I am going to leave Bangalore by 5:15 AM. Considering most members reached Shimoga by 5 hours, where is best place to have a breakfast? In hihway eateries thread Shushrtha suggested Preethi Canteen, are there any other places I should consider? I am inteneded to have Breakfast after 7:15am, so I will most likely cross Tumkur and Arsikeri as well. Can members suggest me decent place for breakfast.

3) I will leave Shimoga by 1:30 ~ 2 pm. I will pick-up wife, son (5 months old) and MIL (55 age). I have to make some stops for snacks in between. Can members suggest good restaurants in Thirthahalli and Hebri? Is there any restaurants in this route which will have clean toilet (I know I am asking for too much)?

4) My return journey is via Mangalore through Shiradi ghats. Again, I will leave Mangalore by 2~2:30 pm. Ideally how much time I should consider for me to reach DG petrol bunk? Is 7~ 8 hours are fare enough time? Considering I would have kid and aged person on board?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks