Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2010, 17:25   #2536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Is the new flyover open?
Thanks,
My Brother in law also took this flyover some time back but he told me that during return journey it was completely closed.
May be waiting for some Babu to come and inaugurate it.
But flyover is complete, just see if its blocked or not and use it

Last edited by rajshenoy : 21st September 2010 at 17:27.
Old 21st September 2010, 17:33   #2537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Is the new flyover open? Even today I read a report in the newspaper that it is going to be opened next month. I live in J P Nagar and was thinking of NICE-Magadi-Kunigal-Shiradi as per the observations of Samurai and others. If the flyover is open, I'd be glad to go thru Nelamangala.

Thanks,
The approach road to Magadi Road is in mess, T.Dasarahalli to Nice Road, as i am travelling from Indiranangar. And Road inside Magadi Town has become bad to worse. I am feeling once the flyover opens up it will be better and lesser time consuming if i go through Nelmangala, than magadi. People traveling from JP nagar side Magadi road is still better as they can by-pass T.Dasarahalli to Nice Road stretch.

Last edited by shamanth : 21st September 2010 at 17:49.
Old 21st September 2010, 17:45   #2538
Senior - BHPian

Please avoid Magadi during peak hours, its chaotic! twice i had the taste of it.
i guess Magadi route consumes more time and once the flyover is done i guess this would be a better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
The approach road to Magadi Road is in mess, T.Dasarahalli to Nice Road, as i am travelling from Indiranangar. And Road inside Magadi has become bad to worse. I am feeling once the flyover opens up it will be better and lesser time consuming if i go through Nelmangala, than magadi. People traveling from JP nagar side Magadi road is still better as they can by-pass T.Dasarahalli to Nice Road stretch.
Old 21st September 2010, 20:35   #2539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
My Brother in law also took this flyover some time back but he told me that during return journey it was completely closed.
May be waiting for some Babu to come and inaugurate it.
But flyover is complete, just see if its blocked or not and use it
I took the flyover in both the directions. Toll booths were active in the return direction. They did not collect any money though. I think they were testing their systems.
Old 21st September 2010, 20:45   #2540
Distinguished - BHPian

We see that while most of us managed to take all the bridges during our recent trips, a few of them were not so lucky either completely or during one leg of their journey.

The Bridges are open or blocked for some reasons and it would be pure luck that all of them stay open (both ways) before the official opening.

Hence, it would not be appropriate to suggest one from either taking or resisting the Tumkur road and one may just try driving merely on positive hopes that the bridges are open both ways.

The brief stopping at the toll booths is happening since more than a month now.

I now prefer the Tumkur Road over the Magadi Road for the sad part of the stretch in Magadi Town which is a sure spot where my little daughter will get disturbed from her sleep.

Personally, taking over those speedbreakers slowly is a much less disturbing excercise than going in and coming out of every pothole in Magadi town. Of course, for low slung cars, Magadi Road is the best option.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st September 2010 at 20:47.
Old 24th September 2010, 19:19   #2541
BHPian

I did the Bangalore - Mangalore route two days ago. I started from Hebbal at 7.15 a.m. and reached Mangalore at 3.45 p.m. with stopover fro 45 minutes for breakfast and dinner enroute. The route I took was Hebbal - Kengeri - Srirangapatna - Kushalnagar - Madikeri - Sampaje - Puttur - B.C.Road - Mangalore. The road from Bangalore to Madikeri is good. Then from there to Sampaje driving has to be a bit cautious but the road is motorable. Sampaje to Sullia and onwards to Puttur is excellent in some stretches. Puttur to Mangalore is okay. My overall experience is that this should be a better route to drive than the Nelamangala - Kunigal - Hassan - Saklaspur - Uppinangady - Mangalore route.
Old 25th September 2010, 12:44   #2542
Team-BHP Support

Guys, Fundamental doubt:

Till now I was of opinion that Malnad is a place. Yesterday when I looked in Wikipedia, it said is a generic term for places covering : Shimoga, Chikmagalur, Uttara Kannada, Kodagu and Hassan districts.

Male Nadu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I read about TLs on Malenadu, I was not aware of this.

Any comments/clarifications/thoughts?
Old 25th September 2010, 13:04   #2543
Senior - BHPian

Yup wiki is right, all these places gets heavy rain fall.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Guys, Fundamental doubt:

Till now I was of opinion that Malnad is a place. Yesterday when I looked in Wikipedia, it said is a generic term for places covering : Shimoga, Chikmagalur, Uttara Kannada, Kodagu and Hassan districts.

Male Nadu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I read about TLs on Malenadu, I was not aware of this.

Any comments/clarifications/thoughts?
Old 25th September 2010, 13:05   #2544
Team-BHP Support

It is a well known fact at least to locals. In Tulu, Malenadu is referred to as Gatta.
Old 25th September 2010, 13:25   #2545
BHPian

Quote:
Male, not mazhe ( rain ) is a known dravidian word for a hill / hilly region ( in tamil - Malai, as in elumalai, sabarimalai.. ). It is also described as elevated land. This word, Malenadu in general usage during british days was shortened to malnad. Malenadu is wrongly construed as mazhenadu - land of rains ( which in fact is ! )

Yes samurai, during british days and madras presidency in the district, anybody from the ghat region were known as gattadavaru and people from the plateau, gattada melnavaru.
Old 25th September 2010, 13:36   #2546
Team-BHP Support

That is the other dual meaning aspect.

1. Rain
2. Hill

So again the confusion was whether the word is of dravidian ascent (Tamil) or Tulu/Mangalore.

I suspected it cannot be Dravidian. as we have come far away (This was again with assumption that these places have existential reality after independent languages had developed in South Indian Peninsula.)
Old 25th September 2010, 15:52   #2547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is a well known fact at least to locals. In Tulu, Malenadu is referred to as Gatta.
A doubt Samurai San. We at Karkala, refer to people from chickmagalur and Shimoga as Ghattadavaru especially we classify some vegetables as those coming from the "ghats".

So wanted to know if Malenadu is a region of ghats or is it the region which is reachable ONLY by crossing the Ghats.

By folklore(mythology), it is known that the region of erstwhile South Canara(not sure if it includes North canara too) was a region "formed" sometime after the mainland and hence it could be a reason why to reach south kanara from other parts of karnataka we HAVE TO get down a Ghat.
(I am not sure if i have heard this right, has anybody else heard this lore? I always wanted to clarify )

ex: Say from Karkala, to go to Shimoga/chickmagalur we have to cross either the Agumbe ghat or the Kudremukh Ghat.
Say to reach coorg/Mysore we need to cross the Madikeri Ghat.
To reach Hassan we need to cross the Charmadi or the Shiradi Ghat after Uppinangady.
Old 25th September 2010, 16:35   #2548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That is the other dual meaning aspect.

1. Rain
2. Hill

So again the confusion was whether the word is of dravidian ascent (Tamil) or Tulu/Mangalore.
Don't know about Tamil, but neither Male (hill) nor mazhe (rain) are Tulu words. People who are on the coastal side of Western ghats, simply call it gatta, and people of gatta as gattadda mithudakulu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
So wanted to know if Malenadu is a region of ghats or is it the region which is reachable ONLY by crossing the Ghats.
The ghats are the Malenadu or Hill lands. The area beyond Malenadu is Bayalusime or the flat lands.

Quote:
By folklore(mythology), it is known that the region of erstwhile South Canara(not sure if it includes North canara too) was a region "formed" sometime after the mainland and hence it could be a reason why to reach south kanara from other parts of karnataka we HAVE TO get down a Ghat. (I am not sure if i have heard this right, has anybody else heard this lore? I always wanted to clarify )
Yes, we have all heard of the folk lore. The Parasurama Sristi myth applies to all of Kerala, south canara, north canara and Konkan area.

Quote:
ex: Say from Karkala, to go to Shimoga/chickmagalur we have to cross either the Agumbe ghat or the Kudremukh Ghat.
Say to reach coorg/Mysore we need to cross the Madikeri Ghat.
To reach Hassan we need to cross the Charmadi or the Shiradi Ghat after Uppinangady.
Yes, you are right. There is no way to reach the coast without crossing the western ghats or Malenadu.
Old 25th September 2010, 16:46   #2549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yes, we have all heard of the folk lore. The Parasurama Sristi myth applies to all of Kerala, south canara, north canara and Konkan area.
Thanks Samurai! Now i know that even Kerala, north canara and the konkan areas are also part of it!!
Old 25th September 2010, 21:45   #2550
Senior - BHPian

"Malenadu" is a Kannada word, not sure from where "tamil" came??
"Ghattadavaru" is referred to people on the hills, and this is one of the very commonly used words in coast....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks