Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2010, 19:36   #2446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
But the ghat section is terrible.
When is the BC road flyover supposed to get completed?
I think we need a flyover over the ghats as well

Pathetic quality of work on the ghats, as usual. Hope the entire stretch gets concreted soon.
Old 5th September 2010, 08:45   #2447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I came to Mangalore today on NH 48. Took NICE - Magadi route. Road around Kunigal is quite bad too! But the ghat section is terrible. After that, it's not so bad till BC road. Then it is bad again. When is the BC road flyover supposed to get completed? I think the flyovers in bangalore got completed sooner :-D
I had driven from Mangalore to Bangalore two weeks back by the Madikeri Mysore route. On the stretch from Mangalore to Madikeri the road is moderately good in some places. On the ghat section there were potholes/craters which were being filled up with cement & gravel mixture. Overall I feel that this is a better route to travel than going via NH 48 and experience the horrible sections of road on the Shiradi Ghat. Driving from Madikeri to Bangalore is a real pleasure and you surely would not mind the extra kms. you incur on travel via this route.
Old 5th September 2010, 10:37   #2448
Team-BHP Support

Yes, the Sampaje stretch is not bad. I drove in it two weeks back. But I was in the Jeep, so you need to take it in the right context.

For regular drivers, Chikmagalur route is the best.
Old 5th September 2010, 20:54   #2449
Senior - BHPian

Mangalore to BC road th drive has improved for sure, today had ben to BC road and fo my luck traffic wa low but the road condition has improved quiet considerably.

WHat one has to watch out, avoid this stretch during the peak hours thats when the taxis and buses are in full swing.

At few paces the road just cuts off and there is no sign brad so people driving at night esp watchout.

Pumpwell to Bondel junction the road is in terrible condition there are some pot holes which can make uvs sweat! and am sure if it goes unnoticed then for sure it will kill the suspension!
Old 6th September 2010, 11:34   #2450
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I'll be driving down to Udupi this coming long weekend. Am planning to start early morning on Friday. Although my final destination is Udupi, I need to go via Hebri for some work there.

So are we now unanimously saying that the route via Chikmagalur-Sringeri-Agumbe is the best route to reach Hebri? All this while, I had plans of taking the Charmadi ghat and reach Hebri via Karkala.

Regards,
Sandeep
Old 6th September 2010, 20:33   #2451
Team-BHP Support

Just practiced the art again today. This time via Chikmagalur. Even this stretch is getting bad. Not as bad as Shiradi, and not concentrated in one place either. There are many stretches that are deteriorating pretty fast, it has been a long monsoon, still raining around here.

Hebri to Perdoor is pretty bad on and off. Chikmagalur to Hebri is mostly fine.

I looked for a new route from Hassan to Belur out of sheer boredom. This one went via Salgame and Halebeedu. Just avoid it, I was cursing my choice. Cost me at least 30 minutes and had to suffer bad road all along.

Last edited by Samurai : 6th September 2010 at 20:34.
Old 6th September 2010, 20:56   #2452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Just practiced the art again today. This time via Chikmagalur. Even this stretch is getting bad. Not as bad as Shiradi, and not concentrated in one place either. There are many stretches that are deteriorating pretty fast, it has been a long monsoon, still raining around here.

Hebri to Perdoor is pretty bad on and off. Chikmagalur to Hebri is mostly fine.

I looked for a new route from Hassan to Belur out of sheer boredom. This one went via Salgame and Halebeedu. Just avoid it, I was cursing my choice. Cost me at least 30 minutes and had to suffer bad road all along.
Thanks very much. Now i have two options

1. BLR-Hassan-CKM-Shringeri-Hebri-NH17
2. BLR-Tumkur-Shimoga-Thirthhalli-Agumbe-Hebri-NH17

we might have some work in Shimoga, hence might drive that route.

anybody who have driven on Shimoga-Thirthhalli-Agumbe route recently ?
Old 7th September 2010, 11:32   #2453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yeah the route via ISRO MCF, was in bad condition long time back. It has deteriorated to worse now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Thanks very much. Now i have two options

1. BLR-Hassan-CKM-Shringeri-Hebri-NH17
2. BLR-Tumkur-Shimoga-Thirthhalli-Agumbe-Hebri-NH17

we might have some work in Shimoga, hence might drive that route.

anybody who have driven on Shimoga-Thirthhalli-Agumbe route recently ?
Yep Shimoga - Thirthalli - Agumbe is in good condition. Take this road.
Even Via CKM is also in good condition.
Old 9th September 2010, 07:02   #2454
BHPian

help?

Hi,
Im planning to cover udupi/dharmastala/kukke in this weekend and planning to start around 7AM from bangalore, friday. I'm new to these places, even router mentioned here bit confusing me because the names. Anyone please help me to draw a good plan to cover these 3 places and with better routes(considering im new to these places), also i want to be back to blr by sunday evening. Thanks
Old 9th September 2010, 11:05   #2455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
Hi,
Im planning to cover udupi/dharmastala/kukke in this weekend and planning to start around 7AM from bangalore, friday. I'm new to these places, even router mentioned here bit confusing me because the names. Anyone please help me to draw a good plan to cover these 3 places and with better routes(considering im new to these places), also i want to be back to blr by sunday evening. Thanks
As per the forum, Shiradi ghat is in bad condition. So better to avoid this route.
Take the below mentioned route(slightly longer)
Day 1 - BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-MUDIGERE-UJIRE-DHARMASTHALA-KUKKE.(halt at either Dharmasthala / Kukke)
Day 2 - Kukke/Dharmasthala-Ujire-Guruvayankere-Naravi-Karkala-Udupi
Udupi-Kundapura-Maravanthe -Kollur.
Day 3 - Kollur - Nagara - Shimoga - Arasikere -Tumkur - BLR.
Other option for Day 1 would be
BLR-MANDYA-MYSORE-HUNSUR-KUSHALNAGARA-MADIKERI-SAMPAJE-PUTTUR-KUKKE
Old 9th September 2010, 11:36   #2456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
As per the forum, Shiradi ghat is in bad condition. So better to avoid this route.
Take the below mentioned route(slightly longer)
Day 1 - BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-MUDIGERE-UJIRE-DHARMASTHALA-KUKKE.(halt at either Dharmasthala / Kukke)
Day 2 - Kukke/Dharmasthala-Ujire-Guruvayankere-Naravi-Karkala-Udupi
Udupi-Kundapura-Maravanthe -Kollur.
Day 3 - Kollur - Nagara - Shimoga - Arasikere -Tumkur - BLR.
Other option for Day 1 would be
BLR-MANDYA-MYSORE-HUNSUR-KUSHALNAGARA-MADIKERI-SAMPAJE-PUTTUR-KUKKE
Thanks sushrutha! Just one query, i will be going with my family and with a year old kid. Considering this and the time spent on temples over there, will this plan is manageable?

Another one is, will ganesha chathurthi festival affect my plans? or i need to alter my plan?
Old 9th September 2010, 12:17   #2457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
Thanks sushrutha! Just one query, i will be going with my family and with a year old kid. Considering this and the time spent on temples over there, will this plan is manageable?

Another one is, will ganesha chathurthi festival affect my plans? or i need to alter my plan?
Yep the plan is quite manageable. 3 days is sufficient for the trip.
I don't think ganesha chathurthi may effect your temple visiting spree.
Old 9th September 2010, 12:31   #2458
Senior - BHPian

smnrock, long weekends means lots of crowd so you will have to factor this in your plan.
Old 9th September 2010, 20:42   #2459
BHPian

New route to Kukke and Mangalore: Help required

Hi,

I'm planning yet another trip to Kukke and Mangalore during 2nd week of Oct. I plan to take the following route to avoid boredom and the notorious Shiradi ghat stretch.

1. Bangalore-SrirangaPatna-Hunsur-Kushalnagara-Somvarpete-Bisile-Kukke
I've done Kukke-Bisile-Sakleshpur and that section was manageable in my HondaCity (2yrs ago). Has any BHPian done this route? There are a few KSRTC buses plying this route (Kukke-Somvarpete-Ksuhalnagara-Mysore) and thought of trying this out.

2. Kukke-Sullia-Kasargod-Mangalore
Guess this should be reasonably fine and I see some BHPians recommending this.

3. Mangalore-BC Road-Ujire-Mudigere-Belur-Hasan-Bangalore
How is Charmadi ghat now? Should I proceed to Mudigere or go straight till Chikmagalur and then come to Belur?

Thanks,

RamP!
Old 9th September 2010, 21:38   #2460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Hi,
I'm planning yet another trip to Kukke and Mangalore during 2nd week of Oct. I plan to take the following route to avoid boredom and the notorious Shiradi ghat stretch.

1. Bangalore-SrirangaPatna-Hunsur-Kushalnagara-Somvarpete-Bisile-Kukke
I've done Kukke-Bisile-Sakleshpur and that section was manageable in my HondaCity (2yrs ago). Has any BHPian done this route? There are a few KSRTC buses plying this route (Kukke-Somvarpete-Ksuhalnagara-Mysore) and thought of trying this out.
bisle ghat condition :

Quote:
Yesterday I traveled from Bangalore to Manipal without paying toll at any place. Must be the first time.

My route: Bangalore-Mandya-Srirangapattana-Elivala-Hunsur-Piriapattana-Kushalnagar-Kudigee-Somvarpet-Shantalli-Kundalli-Handalli Koodige-Bisle Ghat-Subramanya-Gundya-Dharmastala-Ujire-Beltangady-Naravi-Bajagoli-Karkala-Manipal.
Phew! It took 12 hours due to numerous photography breaks. The 30Kms between Somvarpet and Handalli Koodige took 1hour, and the next 30kms to Subramanya took 1.5 hours. I was following a bus in Bisle ghat, it was amazing to the speed the bus could maintain in that totally destroyed road. I have finally seen a bus doing offroading
Quote:
HVK, the bad roads sections as follows:

1) Kushalnagar-Kudigee-Somvarpet (27Kms): Bad, but not terrible, even a small car can do it.
2) Somvarpet-Shantall-Kundalli-Handalli Koodige (30Kms): Excellent road, especially between Kundalli-Handalli Koodige, with zero traffic. But this road is extremely twisty, took 1 hour despite the excellent road.
3) Handalli Koodige-Subramanya (30Kms): Your worst nightmare. Don't take any hatch/sedan if you love it. There is even a 6-8 inch water crossing on the road. I managed to scrap GV at couple places while trying to keep up with the bus. I did see a Tata Indica, couple of Omni Taxi, auto-rickshaw and a Zen on the ghat section. They probably don't have a choice.
4) A bridge between NH-48 turn-off and Dharmastala was flooded, all the cars and hatches were stranded on both sides, while only SUVs, buses and trucks dared to ford it. A Tata Safari driver in front of me was initially not willing to cross it, but the locals assured him it would be fine. I didn't need any assurances.Rest of the roads were fine.
Quote:
In the last 6 days, I have driven in Sampaje, Bisle and Agumbe ghats. I wouldn't suggest the Bisle to anybody as of now. The other two are manageable.

Quote:
2. Kukke-Sullia-Kasargod-Mangalore
Guess this should be reasonably fine and I see some BHPians recommending this.
Long route, moreover Jalsoor - adoor - mulleria stretch is bad.

agreed, kukke - Kadaba - Uppinangady road is bad, Kukke - gundya or kukke - Sulya - puttur would be better.

Quote:
3. Mangalore-BC Road-Ujire-Mudigere-Belur-Hasan-Bangalore
How is Charmadi ghat now? Should I proceed to Mudigere or go straight till Chikmagalur and then come to Belur?
BC road - guruvayankere - Belthangady stretch is broken. Charmadi is suffering from Shiradi spillover, but still motorable. Both roads from Mudigere to Belur are now rough.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks