Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2010, 10:31   #2356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Kollur to Murudeshwara : driving back from kollur towards vandse / jadkal, turn right after approx 8 kms from Kollur at a Y junction ( halkal village ). This 26 km road joins NH17 at baindur. turn right on NH17. Baindur - bhatkal : 21 kms, Bhatkal - Murudeshwar : 16kms.
This is single lane and pretty narrow road, ayear+ back it was ina decent shape but ve very watchful about the on coming vehicles esp, mini bus and trucks.

and its Murudeshwara
Old 29th July 2010, 10:33   #2357
BHPian

roamingrao - thanks a lot ! You seem to be a native of that area to have this level of details :-) . Yes, I am expecting rains and bad road conditions. Of course, it will be a relaxed trip enjoying nature. It is a family trip, so safety comes first rather than thrill of rally style driving ! This will be a good test to my Figo TDCi, I just crossed 4000 KM. So far my experience of Figo in rain is excellent, the visibility from driving seat is class leading. Brakes are good too and mine is having ABD + EDB, so hope to have safe drive. so I have charted out my route, need to see if I can load the Nokia OVI maps to my phone. Of course, last minute changes are very likely due to the fast changing road conditions in monsoon.

@lohithrao : I stand corrected, it is "Murudeswara" , no need of an extra "m" !

Last edited by Revy : 29th July 2010 at 10:35.
Old 29th July 2010, 12:39   #2358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
Of course, last minute changes are very likely due to the fast changing road conditions in monsoon.
Revy, please post here a couple of days before you start on your trip. based on road conditions, we would suggest any route changes and provide directions.
Old 30th July 2010, 14:57   #2359
Senior - BHPian

Now that mining export is banned in all ports(except mangalore port which belongs to central govt) and transport permit to transport mines has been canceled (to stop transport of mines to Mangalore port and other states) i feel shiradi ghat roads wont be deteriorate like before. Hope this road returns to the original charm of 90's once a complete tar is done.
Old 4th August 2010, 17:15   #2360
BHPian

Folks

I will be on my annual trip to Mangalore and BC Road this weekend. Heard some reports on Shiradi Ghats being damaged and not advisable because of land slides etc. Just wanted to check if anyone has been through this route recently and what is the advice? Is BLR-MYS-Madikeri-BC Road a better choice?

Thanks
-Rajesh
Old 4th August 2010, 19:44   #2361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbaliga View Post
Folks

I will be on my annual trip to Mangalore and BC Road this weekend. Heard some reports on Shiradi Ghats being damaged and not advisable because of land slides etc. Just wanted to check if anyone has been through this route recently and what is the advice? Is BLR-MYS-Madikeri-BC Road a better choice?

Thanks
-Rajesh
@carbaliga - The Mysore-Madikeri-Bantwal route is definitely better than the shiradi ghat route. Especially during the monsoons!

I travelled from Mangalore-Bangalore and back via the mys-mad-bc road route in October 2009 in a friend's i10. The NH-48 stretch upto BC road was not too bad then - work was on (post-monsoon repairs i'm guessing). But as we headed off towards Madikeri via Puttur, Sullia and Sampaje, roads were rough! And if you're travelling at night, you're in for bad visibility for sometime all thanks to the exhaust emitted from an entire lineup of those KSRTC AIRAVAT Volvo night buses! But as you enter Mysore, the roads are a delight all the way upto Bangalore!

Left at 11.45pm from Pumpwell circle, Mangalore - landed the next day at 7.45am in Bangalore. Maintained a good amount of speed coupled with a few chai and 'sutta' breaks on the way!
Old 6th August 2010, 14:30   #2362
BHPian

Had travelled in Shiradi Ghat section on July 31 and Aug 1. The surface has started giving up pretty fast. In some of the curves I could see potholes about half feet deep. Even oil tankers were finding it difficult to move along those potholes.
You may not find any smooth stretch for more than 1 Km in this section now. Most of the potholes will certainly get bigger and deeper by end of Aug.

Low ground clearance cars are not advised to take this route to Mangalore. Better look out for alternative route.
My car OHC scraped about 4 to 5 Potholes during my drive.
Old 7th August 2010, 10:05   #2363
Team-BHP Support

Not sure if you have seen this:

Hindu reports that Ghat roads will be concreted. Starting with Shimoga-Udupi.

The Hindu : Karnataka / Bangalore News : Ghat road to be concreted
Old 10th August 2010, 13:11   #2364
Senior - BHPian

Folks need urgent help.

Planning to visit Sakleshpur or Kudremukh, have decided to start morrow or day after. Need present road conditions. Also the places of interest in these areas. Have to be back in Bangy by friday at all cost.
Old 11th August 2010, 00:41   #2365

Shiradi Roads - Bad condition

The condition of Shiradi Ghats road has deteriorated. The KSRTC bus that I had taken from Kasaragod passed through this route. The ride was very bumpy and I remained awake until we reached Sakleshpur. I would advise to avoid this route if possible.
Old 11th August 2010, 01:24   #2366
MX6
Senior - BHPian

You want go to Kudremukha, then try Hassan - halebidu - belur - ckm - mudigere - kottigehara - kalasa - route.
Roads will be good till CKM.
Kalasa will be terrible.
Not sure about sakleshpura.
Old 11th August 2010, 01:28   #2367
Team-BHP Support

I'll have to agree. Uppinangady - Sakleshpur road is no longer enjoyable (but is still motorable). Because of the bad roads, truck/bus traffic slows down & they seem to go along at crawling speed like a caravan. Overtaking all of them is a pain.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_3107.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_3119.jpg

Check out this guy holding on to the truck with just one leg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_3117.jpg

The Madikeri route (pic below) is still enjoyable though - but don't expect butter smooth roads.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_2720.jpg
Old 11th August 2010, 01:31   #2368
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome back SmartCat. I've been waiting to see you post again.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:14   #2369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
You want go to Kudremukha, then try Hassan - halebidu - belur - ckm - mudigere - kottigehara - kalasa - route.
Roads will be good till CKM.
Kalasa will be terrible.
Not sure about sakleshpura.
Nope, nothing terrible about Kalasa route. The road is rough only in small stretches. Any car can surely manage. The terrible part is the Belur-Gonibeedu-Mudigere route. It is in a pathetic condition.

Better route is

Hassan-Belur-Gendehally-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Kalasa-Kudremukh route.

@sachin, in Kudremukh, you have the Hanumangundi falls, Gangamoola (where Tunga, Bhadra and Netravati rivers originate). You can trek to the Kudremukh peak and a couple of other peaks nearby. Temples in Kalasa and Hornadu.

Around Sakleshpur, you can go to Manjarabad fort, Mookana Mane Abbi falls, Bisle ghat view point.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:16   #2370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Nope, nothing terrible about Kalasa route. The road is rough only in small stretches. Any car can surely manage. The terrible part is the Belur-Gonibeedu-Mudigere route. It is in a pathetic condition.

Better route is

Hassan-Belur-Gendehally-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Kalasa-Kudremukh route.

@sachin, in Kudremukh, you have the Hanumangundi falls, Gangamoola (where Tunga, Bhadra and Netravati rivers originate). You can trek to the Kudremukh peak and a couple of other peaks nearby. Temples in Kalasa and Hornadu.

Around Sakleshpur, you can go to Manjarabad fort, Mookana Mane Abbi falls, Bisle ghat view point.

Thanks a lot, addy. Will post about the conditions once I make the trip.

EDIT: Trip postponed to Monday-Tuesday.

Last edited by sachinj12 : 11th August 2010 at 10:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks