Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 10:12   #3196
Team-BHP Support

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The shortest route is the following:

Udupi-Karkala-Belthangady-Charmadi-Kottigehara-Mudigere-Belur-CKM
No, that isn't the shortest route. The shortest one is Udupi-Manipal-Agumbe-Sringeri-Balehonnur-Aldur-CKM. The traffic is almost non-existent on this route. Despite being twisty and very scenic, it can be done within 3.5 hours.
Old 6th April 2011, 10:19   #3197
Senior - BHPian

The NH48 is in excellent shape for now .Buses reach mangalore in about 6 hours .I remember seeing this durgamba B7R doing close to 100 kph on a straight stretch on the ghat .

Ensure that you cross BC road before 8-9 am .After that it will be a pain reaching mangalore with all the private buses and jeeps on the roads
Old 6th April 2011, 10:37   #3198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No, that isn't the shortest route. The shortest one is Udupi-Manipal-Agumbe-Sringeri-Balehonnur-Aldur-CKM. The traffic is almost non-existent on this route. Despite being twisty and very scenic, it can be done within 3.5 hours.
Thanks Samurai-san. I was aware of that route. But did not know that would have been the shortest. And also was not sure of the road conditions. Hence did not suggest that route.
Old 6th April 2011, 10:53   #3199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Samurai-san. I was aware of that route. But did not know that would have been the shortest. And also was not sure of the road conditions. Hence did not suggest that route.
I take this route very regularly, even took my brand new i10 AT two month back by the same route.

It can be little rough between Balehonnur and Aldur, but mostly acceptable now. But the views are great.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...10-sportz.html
Old 6th April 2011, 11:31   #3200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I take this route very regularly, even took my brand new i10 AT two month back by the same route.

It can be little rough between Balehonnur and Aldur, but mostly acceptable now. But the views are great.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...10-sportz.html
Is that also a better route to Udupi from Bangalore as compared to Charmadi?
Do you propose its easy to go via CKM/Sringeri rather than Charmadi.
Old 6th April 2011, 12:16   #3201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is that also a better route to Udupi from Bangalore as compared to Charmadi?
Do you propose its easy to go via CKM/Sringeri rather than Charmadi.
I rather use the word prefer. If you are going to Mangalore, then Charmadi is better.

However, nothing beats Shiradi when it is in good shape. My next trip which is days away, I will take Hassan-Shiradi-Dharmasthala-Karkala-Udupi route.
Old 6th April 2011, 13:57   #3202
BHPian

Thanks ampere and Samurai.

Id probably use one route to go, and to return on another.
Old 6th April 2011, 17:19   #3203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @400Kph View Post
Lets see if they survive this rainfall as they seemed to have used some different material at some U turns.It had something embedded inside it.Any idea what it is ?
Your observation is on the 13 critical curves which were concretised a few years ago. They have put a thin layer of bitumen embedded with something to give grip to the tyres travelling over them.
Old 9th April 2011, 13:31   #3204
Team-BHP Support

Soon, I will be travelling to Manipal with family. One of the most important aspect of travel for my family is the food. Bad food en-route, usually spoils the fun for the whole day. Even my 4 year old is a connoisseur of good non-veg food. In fact, he refuses plain veg food if we are out on the road.

Now, when we take the Madikeri route or CKM route, we get to have some fantastic lunch at East End or Planter's Court respectively... um <wipe> <wipe>.. Sorry, had to wipe the drool from the keyboard. However, since Shiradi has been temporarily fixed as usual for the summer, it throws up a dilemma. My wife wants to take Shiradi since it is straight as an arrow compared to other routes. But we are not aware of any restaurant worth drolling about on the Sakaleshpur route. Please suggest a non-veg restaurant in the similar class of East End or Planter's Court. My sanity on the long road depends on that.
Old 11th April 2011, 08:25   #3205
Team-BHP Support

Since I didn't get any suggestion on the restaurant, yesterday I had to take a risk. If I had chosen poorly, I would have faced the collective wrath of my family.

As Hassan loomed closer, I noticed two modern dhabas on the left, both had no customers (12:30PM), except for one Omni parked at each parking lot. Omni is not exactly reassuring, it could be a supplier. It is common knowledge, entering a restaurant that has no customers is not a good idea.

After entering the first parking lot, I couldn't spot the entrance to the restaurant, so I got edgy and moved on to the next one. The next one had a motorbike in addition to the Omni. Can it count as extra customer...? Aaahhhh, OK. Parked the car and all of us got out. One person peeked out, I asked him whether the place of open, and he says yes.

And yes, we were the first customers. Each each table gets a Mangalore tiles covered individual hut. The ambiance is cozy and cool despite the plastic chairs. The menu was extensive and we could anything out of it. Yes, they did have non-veg, lots of items to choose from. At first we ordered rice/roti and chicken masala, and then pepper chicken and chicken 65 as starters.

Bliss! the starters were heavenly, roti was perfect. Even the gravy was just right. My family was happy, I was thrilled. A good non-veg restaurant has finally been discovered on the Bangalore-Mangalore highway. The place is Vidhatha Dhaba just before reaching Hassan (from Bangalore side), it is on the left. The price is reasonable too, the bill didn't exceed 400 bucks.

By the time we left there were 4 other cars, may be they got in because they saw us, you never know.
Old 11th April 2011, 10:22   #3206
BHPian

Quote:

Bliss! the starters were heavenly, roti was perfect. Even the gravy was just right. My family was happy, I was thrilled. A good non-veg restaurant has finally been discovered on the Bangalore-Mangalore highway. The place is Vidhatha Dhaba just before reaching Hassan (from Bangalore side), it is on the left. The price is reasonable too, the bill didn't exceed 400 bucks.
Samurai-san, good for you and your family. Though I'm a veggie, I was watching this discussion with some interest. My favourite on Shiradi is the Ossoor restuarant just before Sakleshpura - not that the food is great, but a reasonable ambiance with coffee plantations and all that.

I had a guess that this thread "The art ....." is the most discussed/viewed thread. It is indeed and by a wide margin and given the way highways are maintained, it would remain like that for sometime.

Prasad
Old 11th April 2011, 10:38   #3207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Samurai-san, good for you and your family. Though I'm a veggie, I was watching this discussion with some interest. My favourite on Shiradi is the Ossoor restuarant just before Sakleshpura - not that the food is great, but a reasonable ambiance with coffee plantations and all that.
I am a regular at Ossoor too. I rate the location and external ambiance A+, not seen such setting at any other highway restaurant. But the rating tumbles down to B once your enter the place. The food is average, in quality and taste. I guess the hunt for good veggie restaurant in this stretch is still on. Vidhatha Dhaba may be good in veggie stuff too, somebody needs to check it out.

The Kamath Upachar is positively bad and restrooms there are horrible. There is a Hotel Ganesh right next to it, any reviews on that?

Mayura at Bellur cross has raised their price far above the price of Bangalore restaurants, no idea why.

Now, why are we discussing eateries? Well, it is all part of the art of travelling between Bangalore and the coast. Surely, you have to eat on the way.
Old 11th April 2011, 11:36   #3208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a Hotel Ganesh right next to it, any reviews on that?.
Nothing great about this place either. I went to this place once, frankly that would be my last visit too.
Quote:
Mayura at Bellur cross has raised their price far above the price of Bangalore restaurants, no idea why.
Exactly... price of Dosa is way too much ... around 60-65Rs...
Quote:
Now, why are we discussing eateries? Well, it is all part of the art of travelling between Bangalore and the coast. Surely, you have to eat on the way.
Why not try Hotel Suvarna Regency @ Hassan town. ?
It's good and VFM restaurent too. Ambience is good, Parking is available.

You can try Hotel Mamtha too, Nothing to talk about Ambience at this place, but the Non veg food is good over here.

Next time I have to try Hassan Ashok, if they have a buffet lunch.
Old 11th April 2011, 12:14   #3209
Team-BHP Support

I had many good things about Ashok. I also heard that sometime back they were closed for renovation. Is that correct?
Old 11th April 2011, 12:37   #3210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....The place is Vidhatha Dhaba just before reaching Hassan (from Bangalore side), it is on the left. The price is reasonable too, the bill didn't exceed 400 bucks.

By the time we left there were 4 other cars, may be they got in because they saw us, you never know.
This place is frequented by regulars from Hassan. Probably, the time of your visit made it look empty. It generally full in the evenings. How was the service? The last time I ate there, I had to wait a full hour after ordering the dishes to be served

Quote:

The prices there have always been high. I don't know how they keep such high prices and still get away with it. This is daylight robbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Nothing great about this place either. I went to this place once, frankly that would be my last visit too.

Exactly... price of Dosa is way too much ... around 60-65Rs...

Why not try Hotel Suvarna Regency @ Hassan town. ?
It's good and VFM restaurent too. Ambience is good, Parking is available.

You can try Hotel Mamtha too, Nothing to talk about Ambience at this place, but the Non veg food is good over here.

Next time I have to try Hassan Ashok, if they have a buffet lunch.
The (non-veg) restaurant in Hotel Suvarna Regency is one of the better ones in Hassan. Good ambience and good food.

Mamatha Hotel on BM road, serves good food. It is a small place and frankly, with family I would not recommend it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks