Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2011, 15:07   #3001
Senior - BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
my car's suspension broke during last week's trip.
Sorry to hear that, Rohan.

Again sorry for the OT, but if you don't mind sharing, which parts of the suspension broke, was it the lower arms / links ?

Hope you came out of the situation without too much of hassles !
Old 17th January 2011, 15:15   #3002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
Rajesh,
I'd suggest that you stick to this route.
A lot of road is being relaid on this stretch.By Jan 28th,I guess there would be a lot of progress.

Even otherwise,I believe,this is the best stretch to goto Udupi/Kundapur at the moment.
The roads between Thirthahalli to Agumbe are not good but manageable.
Its much better than the others(Shiradi and Charmadi ghats)
Yes, hoping for that. If not for picking up an elderly person at Shimoga, we would have advised them to go either via Charmadi / Shiradi.
Old 17th January 2011, 16:01   #3003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Sorry to hear that, Rohan.

Again sorry for the OT, but if you don't mind sharing, which parts of the suspension broke, was it the lower arms / links ?

Hope you came out of the situation without too much of hassles !
The suspension strut on the left front wheel broke. It still managed to support the car, because I drove it to the service centre, without even realising the extent of the damage. I got the car back in 3 days. Fortunately, without much hassles. I had to spend money for the cab to get to Bangalore from Hassan that day, that's all.

But I noticed yesterday that, that pothole is now covered. In fact, the road in that area is tarred quite well now. So, only the ghat section remains a painpoint.
Old 17th January 2011, 16:20   #3004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post

IIRC, Agumbe ghats are not in good condition and most of the group who are travelling in that vehicle will be senior citizens in the age group of 65-75.
I had been through Agumbe Ghats last weekend, the road is ok and not very bad. The first 4 Hairpins (from downwards up) have new and good tarmac. The concrete section of the Ghat is the one that's not so good.

I have no idea of the Agumbe - Thirthahalli section, since i turned around at the top of the ghat.
Old 17th January 2011, 16:26   #3005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I would be travelling to Kundapur via Mangalore (NH48). I have travelled to Mangalore in Jan but the road was good throughout except for a few kms stretch in shiradi ghat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan316 View Post
Well, about the shiradi ghats, the roads at the moment are in pathetic state.
We are now on page#200 and sadly still on the same topic extracted from the first 2 messages in this thread posted on 11th August 2006 !!!
Old 17th January 2011, 16:37   #3006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
After seeing all the posts on Magadi versus Nelamangala, so what is the summary as of today?
If one is taking NICE is it worth taking the Magadi exit and taking the Magadi road or go all the way till Nelamangala and take the partial 4L?

I was of opinion that if one is in South Bangalore, Magadi is a better option, while for North Banagalore, Nelamangala is better. Does this till hold good?
Well, I was one person who used to bat for Magadi road. That was till now. If you are taking NICE, go all the way upto NH4 and join Nelamangala. It may not be shorter, but it is a lot faster and will get faster as and when works get completed. Magadi road is getting worse day by day.

Another option for people coming from the South. If you can get to Mysore road without much ado, take the newly opened ring road at Nayandahalli junction (non peak hours). This is the best option. It is signal free till Kanteerava Studio (Rajkumar Samadhi) junction. From there join NH4 at Goraguntepalya and get on to the elevated road to cruise towards Nelamangala.

This is an early bird offer guys!! Use this road before the geniuses at BBMP put a toll booth over there.
Old 17th January 2011, 17:02   #3007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I came to Bangalore from Mangalore in KSRTC Volvo. I saw that they have started repairing the roads from the top.
Could you please elaborate further on what is meant by 'from the top'?
Old 17th January 2011, 19:13   #3008
Team-BHP Support

As I mentioned earlier, more I see, more I realize that its best to drive through city, take the elevated toll road and take on NH48. Best solutions are often the simplest! Looks like apart from GQ, there IS a drive for 4 Laning of roads, which is going in earnest (At least in plan). It needs to be seen, when these things materialize.

Last edited by ampere : 17th January 2011 at 19:14.
Old 17th January 2011, 19:20   #3009
Team-BHP Support

BTW, they are installing brand new modern toll booths at Bellur cross. That means, they are going to toll the new 4-lane highway once it is ready.

Here is a photograph of Bisle Park on Bisle ghat. Last time I was forced to travel in it since Sampaje was closed.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th January 2011 at 19:21.
Old 17th January 2011, 19:49   #3010
BHPian

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, more I see, more I realize that its best to drive through city, take the elevated toll road and take on NH48. Best solutions are often the simplest! Looks like apart from GQ, there IS a drive for 4 Laning of roads, which is going in earnest (At least in plan). It needs to be seen, when these things materialize.
Yes, i.e. a million dollar question. From what i see, the 4 lane work is going on until Channarayapatna. The plans might be till Hassan.
Old 18th January 2011, 10:45   #3011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Could you please elaborate further on what is meant by 'from the top'?
Oops.. Haha. I meant, they have started repairing the road from the top of the ghat, from Sakleshpur side, and they are proceeding downwards to Nelyadi :-)
Old 18th January 2011, 11:24   #3012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oops.. Haha. I meant, they have started repairing the road from the top of the ghat, from Sakleshpur side, and they are proceeding downwards to Nelyadi :-)
This sounds too good to be true. Are you sure you were not dreaming? What is the quality of repair work and how much (kms) have they covered?
Old 18th January 2011, 16:15   #3013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
This is the best option. It is signal free till Kanteerava Studio (Rajkumar Samadhi) junction. From there join NH4 at Goraguntepalya and get on to the elevated road to cruise towards Nelamangala.
I agree, this is what I have been doing since the road was opened at Nayandahally junction. It's super fast :-)
Quote:
It's good during off-peak hours.
Last Wednesday evening(around 6.45pm), It almost took 45mins for me to travel from Yeshwanthpur Rly station - Gorguntepalya(Toll both), coz of the traffic and Metro construction.
Old 18th January 2011, 16:47   #3014
Senior - BHPian

Dubey, this is regular ritual or i can say early ritual! the road lasts for few months just till the monsoon has arrived and from their on its the same story.

but or sure couple moths post repair will be fun to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
This sounds too good to be true. Are you sure you were not dreaming? What is the quality of repair work and how much (kms) have they covered?
Old 18th January 2011, 17:45   #3015
BHPian

Quote:
The work of patching up the potholes from the sakaleshpur side has started from end of Oct 2010 and has not progressed much. I dont think they will reach Nelyadi before the monsoon.

I have travelled in the last week of Oct 2010, last week of Dec 2010 and again last week, and the progress is extremely slow.

I also saw a JCB levelling the craters (potholes) and the huge difference in height of the road from one end to the other because the road got washed away. Not sure what the plan is after levelling.

Most Viewed