Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2011, 14:57   #2971
Senior - BHPian

Re: What route to Mangalore for an Hyundai i10?

Kamath, i dont think it should be a big challenge at all but depends on the driver. if the driver is confident then not an issue...

Not sure if they are from here, if they are from DK then they should be aware of the rest of the route...this route will be the easiest.

@Dubey why are so worried about Shiradi? you drive a safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Guys, i know so much has been written already on the route to M'lore. Need help in suggesting a best route to a neighbour, who is relocating to M'lore city. Have to mention that it's his wife who's usually behind the wheels of their Hyundia i10. They plan to do the drive by themselves, and i'm perplexed, in trying not to suggest the Shiradi route, keeping their small car in mind.

Comments please, regarding a viable route, keeping distance, and hence travel time as a prime factor.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10th January 2011, 15:04   #2972
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Kundapur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks Samurai. I understand that I need not go via Moodbidri to get to Karkala from Ujjire. Is that correct?
That is correct. Dharmasthala, Karnataka to Kundapura, Karnataka - Google Maps

Quote:
Also, any -ves for this route other than the devastated Shiradi Ghats?
Nope, Shiradi is the only real problem in this route.
Old 10th January 2011, 15:20   #2973
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Thanks RaguHolla. I have taken #1 last year and would want to try a different one now. Might try #2.

How about Bangalore - Hassan - Dharmastala - Ujjire - Moodbidri - Mulki - Udupi - Kundapura?

Any flipsides other than the dreaded Shiradi ghats?
Quote:
Thanks Samurai. I understand that I need not go via Moodbidri to get to Karkala from Ujjire. Is that correct?

Also, any -ves for this route other than the devastated Shiradi Ghats?
Question: How are you planning to go to Dharmastala from Hassan (via Shiradi, Via Kudremukha)?

Going to Kundapur via Karkala is shorter path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Guys, i know so much has been written already on the route to M'lore. Need help in suggesting a best route to a neighbour, who is relocating to M'lore city. Have to mention that it's his wife who's usually behind the wheels of their Hyundia i10. They plan to do the drive by themselves, and i'm perplexed, in trying not to suggest the Shiradi route, keeping their small car in mind.
Mangalore via Shiradi is still the better route. I know route is worst, But this is widest route in all the ghats. Person with enough patience can always cover this route. IT won't be possible to zip though like one did till Hasan (may be even till Sakaleshpura) but still drivable.

I personally feel this route will leave same sweet/bitter feeling like any-other route for following reason.

Bad roads at the near the end of your route always make you feel worked-up (This is my own perception). This is what observed in my limited travels. For e.g I have traveled between Bangalore ~ Kundapur via two routes. While onward journey I took Bangalore~Hasan~CK~Sringeri ~Hebri~Kundapur. The road after CK till balehonnur is in bad shape. But I am so pissed and getting worked up because, road till then was too good. And my mind simply refused to accept the road. The road isn't bad, and entire streach was only limited (25km with 1 to 2 km rough road with one or two potholes). After driving few km, I was worried that the road is gone till Sringeri! But it wasn't.

However while returning I took Kundapur ~ Hulikal ~ Thirathalli ~Shimoga ~Bangalore road. Road between Kundapur till Thirhalli is so horrible. However this bad patch in the beginning, mind is alert, the excruciating slower speed for 80 km (less than 25 most times, less than 5 for many places), I still feel better while reached Bangalore.

In both situation what I learnt was, its your mind that plays trick. If you rest your mind, believe me most of these horrible roads won't be horrible. If I know I am going to approach sorry state road ahead, I would strongly suggest to take a break, start after few minutes. This will leave you in better feeling. Also once you sure you reach god road, take rest. Otherwise your brian tells you to drive insanely 'because you lost lots of time'. Remember even how good may be further road, its not guranteed to pothole free. Some of the posters have reported bent wheel, etc in relatively good road. I believe this is the effect of covering up lost time. No matter how sane we are, when stress gets us worked up, our thinking won't be stright.

If you consider above point, invariantly ghats come in middle or after middle part of journey towards mangalore. I believe any route one takes (via madikeri, or via Kudremukha) you still go through bad roads. Since you enjoyed relative freedom earlier part of journey your brain refuses to accept bad roads and drive in correct speed! If you can only allow your brain to rest by taking break, your journey will be better.

While going via Hasan, I have seen many i10 coming to in Shiradi ghats (actually met them in Hasan while taking bf), talked to one of the driver how can he managed.. he said it took time but could able to drive. So I say why add more miles when you can take 25 km in slower speed?
Old 10th January 2011, 17:00   #2974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I believe this is the effect of covering up lost time. No matter how sane we are, when stress gets us worked up, our thinking won't be stright.
+1 to that.

I did Blore-> Mlore and back for Christmas/New Year. I was tired when I reached Mlore due to last bad road, however on my back I was good and went directly to my cousin's house for evening tea/snacks!

Siradi is only worst place. Patience and carefulness counts.

I was driving my Zen with 4 passengers and luggage, however I did not scrape my car anywhere nor hit any pot hole! (fingers crossed)

Few sections Kunigal<->CPatna have big craters which can cause severe damage to rims. Also due to trees and its shade spotting it at 80kmph is difficult.

Just keeping have small breaks for tea/loo/road side fruits and you are fine!
Old 10th January 2011, 17:31   #2975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
@Dubey why are so worried about Shiradi? you drive a safari
That is precisely the reason I asked for any other -ves of this route
Old 10th January 2011, 20:09   #2976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is precisely the reason I asked for any other -ves of this route

well no -ves at all, its a breez once you cross this stretch...
Old 12th January 2011, 16:12   #2977
BHPian

Guys, Need help on road conditions towards Udupi!! Planning a roadtrip to Udupi this month end. Route I have decided is Bangalore – Hassan – Belur – Gendehallli – Mudigere – Kalasa – Horanadu – Kalasa – Kudremukh – Sringeri – Agumbe – Udupi.

I know the route from Chikmagalur to Sringeri via Ballehonnur is bad. Want to visit temples at Horanadu and Kalasa and then head to Sringeri thru Kudremukh. Never visited Kudremukh and after going through Addy's travelogue, very much inclined to visit Kudremukh.

Want to know the road conditions from Mudigere to Horanadu and then to Sringeri via Kudremukh.

Also any particular strect I would have to watch out for on NH17 from Udupi to Gokarna?

Last edited by dreamdiesel : 12th January 2011 at 16:13.
Old 12th January 2011, 17:49   #2978
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Kalasa - Hornadu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Guys, Need help on road conditions towards Udupi!! Planning a roadtrip to Udupi this month end. Route I have decided is Bangalore – Hassan – Belur – Gendehallli – Mudigere – Kalasa – Horanadu – Kalasa – Kudremukh – Sringeri – Agumbe – Udupi.

I know the route from Chikmagalur to Sringeri via Ballehonnur is bad. Want to visit temples at Horanadu and Kalasa and then head to Sringeri thru Kudremukh. Never visited Kudremukh and after going through Addy's travelogue, very much inclined to visit Kudremukh.

Want to know the road conditions from Mudigere to Horanadu and then to Sringeri via Kudremukh.

Also any particular strect I would have to watch out for on NH17 from Udupi to Gokarna?
You would definitely enjoy the drive n views from hornadu towards kudremukh and also sringeri. The roads are good on the mudigere - kalasa - horanadu stretch n also until SK border from hornadu.

Had been on the udupi - coondapur stretch of NH17 recently, and found it good.

Last edited by JMaruru : 12th January 2011 at 17:51.
Old 12th January 2011, 18:28   #2979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post

Mudigere to Kudremukh/Kalasa/Horanadu is very good (except inside Mudigere town). I'm not sure of the Kudremukh-Sringeri stretch though. Recently someone in the forum had posted that it was rough
Old 12th January 2011, 20:27   #2980
Senior - BHPian

dd, the road from BC road till Kundapura is in neat condition and alsy even beyond no issues living small small stretches near bhatkala.
Old 13th January 2011, 11:58   #2981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Mudigere to Kudremukh/Kalasa/Horanadu is very good (except inside Mudigere town). I'm not sure of the Kudremukh-Sringeri stretch though. Recently someone in the forum had posted that it was rough
The road (NH-13) from Sringeri upto SK Border was very bad with no road & only gravel on some parts. I drove in this stretch on Oct 31st. Don't know the current condition though !!
Old 13th January 2011, 15:38   #2982
BHPian

Guys, thank you all for the valuable feedback given about the road condition.

As per the responses I see the conditions good till DK border after Kudremukh. Bad conditions there after till Sringeri. I am looking at the option of skipping Kundremukh and head towards Sringeri from Hornandu as road condition seems to be good.

Even i got the same feedback about a few places on NH17 closer to Bhatkal of bad roads from MX6.

Will see and maybe take a chance to drive inside Kudremukh and then towards Sringeri as this is one of few beautiful places I have not drive inspite of driving all across Karnataka.

Will update the road conditions once I am back
Old 14th January 2011, 08:41   #2983
MCR
BHPian

DD, I am quoting my old post. Horanadu - sringeri via jayapura is good itseems. But I went to kudremukh just through enjoy the nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Just came back from the trip to Coastal area.
Mysore - Belur = Excellent road. Forgetting the lack of roads in Hassan town.

Belur - Gendehalli - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Hornadu = Good roads. Thanks to Sushrutha and addy for road directions via Gendehally.

Hornadu - Sringeri = Average road, Via Kudremukh.

Sringeri - Kollur = Good road.

Kollur - Udupi = Good road.

Udupi - Ujire = Good road.

Ujire - Charmadi - Kottigehara - Mudigere = Good road. Some sections of ghat have gone for a toss. Be carefull about reckless driving by NWKRTC drivers on the Charmadi ghat road.
Old 14th January 2011, 16:30   #2984
BHPian

Thanks for the replies, guys! Sorry for the late post too.

Lohith, even the Safari is prone to destruction on the Shiradi stretch. The tie rod ends on our's had to be replaced after the front end began squeaking .
Old 14th January 2011, 16:55   #2985
Team-BHP Support

I had thought my Grand Vitara suspension was bullet proof. But after 3 years and 30K kms of hard riding mostly on coastal roads and ghats, I too had to replace both the tie rods and stabilizer link. There is a crack in the lower arm bushes too. I might have to change them in near future.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks