Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2010, 23:21   #2896
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have a Coorgee employee who regularly takes this route, he heard it in Coorg. It is supposedly closing on Dec 1st....
Samurai sir, can you please check with your employee and update the status of Mangalore - Madikeri route. Have also sent a PM on this.
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:25   #2897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Thanks for the info sushrutha. Can you please let me know the route from Belur to Mudigere via Gendehally? Any landmark which can guide me to this route?
After Belur Bus stop, there's one Ambedkar Statue towards your right, take a right turn here, straight will lead to Mudigere also but Via Cheekanally. Once you take right near the statue, keep going further , there aren't much of markings on this road. Just remember this
Left after Singapura, Left @ Baskal, Right @ Kannapura. Becareful about the sudden potholes(though less) on this route.
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:29   #2898
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
After Belur Bus stop, there's one Ambedkar Statue towards your right, take a right turn here, straight will lead to Mudigere also but Via Cheekanally. Once you take right near the statue, keep going further , there aren't much of markings on this road. Just remember this
Left after Singapura, Left @ Baskal, Right @ Kannapura. Becareful about the sudden potholes(though less) on this route.
Sushrutha, Just a question:

So does the Cheekanally route go via Gonebidu, while the other one does not?
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:37   #2899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sushrutha, Just a question:

So does the Cheekanally route go via Gonebidu, while the other one does not?
Amp, Cheekanhalli route also goes via Gonibeedu to Mudigere while the second option being referred here is the one via Gendehally which is an alternate route to Mudigere from Belur. Hence, if one is talking about Mudigere from Belur via Cheekanahalli, it would also mean via Gonibeedu.
Old 23rd December 2010, 13:01   #2900
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Parag. That answers the question. Some how Google Maps was not of much help there.
Old 23rd December 2010, 20:46   #2901
BHPian

I will be travelling tomorrow to Mangalore in my Zen. Will be taking Shiradi ghat. Fingers Crossed!
Old 23rd December 2010, 23:47   #2902
Senior - BHPian

oh no! i visit this section after some months and still this remains the thread with highest number of posts

Road after gundya seems to be in better condition now. I see lot of patch work done.
One good thing is that from BC road to Mangalore, drive a breeze. and from Bangalore to Nelamangala also a fast drive, thanks to the new fly over. The fly over is very well built IMO. If some how the ghats are repaired to a "decent level" and 4 lane BLR - HASSAN highway completed we can hope to travel between MLR-BLR faster.
Old 24th December 2010, 10:33   #2903
BHPian

Quote:
will be travelling tomorrow to Mangalore in my Zen. Will be taking Shiradi ghat. Fingers Crossed!
Dear devrajman> pl update the condition of shiradi. Next week I plan to visit Dharam & Kukke in swift. From the threads I guess, charmudi may be better option at the moment, but I like to take shiradi since I like this route much.

Tnks
Old 24th December 2010, 11:19   #2904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think there should be any problem. Just keep to the main road and you will reach Mudigere. There is a signboard (I think near Haandi) where you need to take a left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks Parag. That answers the question. Some how Google Maps was not of much help there.
Google maps does not even show the connection between Belur and this road. It shows a broken route
Old 24th December 2010, 16:23   #2905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
Dear devrajman> pl update the condition of shiradi.
Please check the below links for the same.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2156317
And also here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2181474
Twice I did the same trip in span of almost 15 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I. There is a signboard (I think near Haandi) where you need to take a left.
You don't need to go all the way till Haandi, it will simply increase the distance by almost 10kms.
You have to take left @ Baskal, as I have mentioned previously. If you take right here, you'll go to Haandi instead of Mudigere
Old 24th December 2010, 19:54   #2906
BHPian

@ampere: I have attached a GPX file. I took this route last month. You can use GPS Visualizer or a similar program to draw the route.

Hope this is helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 201011 Kottigehara-Gendehally-Belur.gpx (101.8 KB, 324 views)
Old 24th December 2010, 21:29   #2907
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmania View Post
@ampere: I have attached a GPX file. I took this route last month. You can use GPS Visualizer or a similar program to draw the route.

Hope this is helpful.
Thanks very much for that. Very helpful indeed! I could see the tracks in Mapsource. I can directly load that into my Garmin and actually follow the same track!

Thanks again.
Old 25th December 2010, 00:29   #2908
Team-BHP Support

Today I did Mysore-Manipal via Bisle. I was originally planning to go Mysore-Hassan, and then think about the next step. But wife insisted on Bisle since she has heard so much about it from my solo trips on that road.

So Bisle we took, and was pleasantly surprised. They have closed most of the really bad patches with red mud and have improved the otherwise mind-bending ride. Now it is on par or better than Shiradi ghat. It is definitely much shorter than Shiradi ghat.

Now, this is not a recommendation of Bisle ghat. It is still very narrow and very deserted, and I did it in a SUV. Take it only at your own risk. We left Mysore at 1.15PM, reached Subramanya at 5:45PM. This is without any break in between. That means 165kms took 4.5 hours.
Old 25th December 2010, 07:46   #2909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You don't need to go all the way till Haandi, it will simply increase the distance by almost 10kms.
You have to take left @ Baskal, as I have mentioned previously. If you take right here, you'll go to Haandi instead of Mudigere
Oh, then I think I saw the signboard at Baskal. Am I right? I just remember seeing the signboard, but don't remember the location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Today I did Mysore-Manipal via Bisle. I was originally planning to go Mysore-Hassan, and then think about the next step. But wife insisted on Bisle since she has heard so much about it from my solo trips on that road.
Which route did you take to join the Bisle ghat road? Did you go via Somwarpet-Kundalli?

Last edited by addyhemmige : 25th December 2010 at 07:48.
Old 25th December 2010, 14:43   #2910
A.R
BHPian

I drove from Mangalore to Bangalore last week through the dreaded Sakleshpur ghat. To my surprise, a large portion of the strech was recently laid/being re laid. However, there is still about 30 odd kms where no road exists. Barring this theroute is amazing to drive.

Most Viewed