Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:00   #2746
BHPian

sorry for bumping this but can someone please help on my query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perez View Post
hi Guys,

I'm planning to travel to mangalore this thursday and intended to take the mysore route as i wanted to have a stopover at madikeri. Read somewhere that the road is now closed for some work from november 1st. Can someone please clarify on this and suggest an alternate route if possible.

cheers,
Perez.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:09   #2747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
@niranjan,
Isn't Mudigere - Belur in bad condition ?
Mudigere - Gonibeedu is is bad condition as of 3 days back.
The road is better after Gonebidu. The actual bad stretch is just after Mudigere when going towards Belur. Once past Gonebidu it's about 80%+ decent roads.
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:38   #2748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
The road is better after Gonebidu. The actual bad stretch is just after Mudigere when going towards Belur. Once past Gonebidu it's about 80%+ decent roads.
@addyhemmige (post #2345) recommends an alternative route and I quote him:
"You should have taken Mudigere-Gendehally-Belur road. This road, although narrower than the route you took is very good and has very little traffic."

Prasad
Old 7th November 2010, 19:52   #2749
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Wifey, son and myself are travelling early morning tomorrow (may be 5AM) ;
Bangalore - Shimoga - Chikmagalur-Mangalore
Shimoga - visiting Amrutheswari temple and same night travel to Chikmagalur
Chikmagalur - 2 night stay and then head to Mangalore
Drive - Bros i10 Era
Let me know any info which might come handy for the trip

Thanks ...sreeni
Old 7th November 2010, 20:34   #2750
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriny_blr View Post
Hi Guys,
Wifey, son and myself are travelling early morning tomorrow (may be 5AM) ;
Bangalore - Shimoga - Chikmagalur-Mangalore
Shimoga - visiting Amrutheswari temple and same night travel to Chikmagalur
Chikmagalur - 2 night stay and then head to Mangalore
Drive - Bros i10 Era
Let me know any info which might come handy for the trip

Thanks ...sreeni

As per what I remember HVK saying, CKM-Shimoga either via Kadur or via Lingadahalli is a Naxal area. Night travel not advisable. Take care.

HVK sir please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 8th November 2010, 10:11   #2751
Senior - BHPian

BC road to Kundapura roads have improved!

Almost all the bad patches have been fixed and i think the repari will hold off for couple of more months, atleast as of now the road is in decent shape which reduces the travel time!

Only sad part is the process of axing the trees along the hiway has begun and its a heart breaking sight!

On road widening work, it seems they have started in a good speed and if they maintain the rate i guess couple of years we will have this 4lane ready!
Old 8th November 2010, 11:39   #2752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As per what I remember HVK saying, CKM-Shimoga either via Kadur or via Lingadahalli is a Naxal area. Night travel not advisable. Take care.

Ampere, pls don't spread rumours.
The above said area is not even affected by 1% of Naxalites.
Day / Night You can find hell lots of vehicles travelling between these two places.
The Naxal affected area is near Agumbe, Sringeri, Kudremukha, though they don't usually harm travellers travelling in these region roads.
Old 8th November 2010, 11:52   #2753
Team-BHP Support

I agree with sushrutha. I have posted about that at least twice, once in this thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post1268020 (The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...tml#post692473 (A visit to parents home...)
Old 8th November 2010, 12:17   #2754
Senior - BHPian

Back from Native,
It has become a PAIN to travel towards Hassan & Bangalore these days.

Take Magadi road - Pothole ridden Magadi town + Sunkadakatte road. Now even this road is experiencing heavy traffic + some Moron 2 wheelers.
Last Thursday evening took 1+ hr to cross 1km stretch of Magadi road just after the Ring Road junction.

Take Kunigal - Nelmangala Road - Though the flyover is open till Jalahally cross Junction, from thereon traffic builds heavily. Add the traffic chaos @ Yeshwanthpura Rly station.
Today morning I took 1.5hrs to cross this messed up traffic.It's a pain(My car's silencer scraping the humps) to traverse from Kunigal - Nelamangala, Lots of Road humps and some part of the road is potholed.

I don't have any other option , Just curse and travel on these roads.

Last edited by sushrutha : 8th November 2010 at 12:21.
Old 8th November 2010, 12:54   #2755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Back from Native,

Take Magadi road - Pothole ridden Magadi town + Sunkadakatte road. Now even this road is experiencing heavy traffic + some Moron 2 wheelers.
Last Thursday evening took 1+ hr to cross 1km stretch of Magadi road just after the Ring Road junction.
Better go to Kengeri and take Kommaghatta road directly to Tavarekere. Road is decent and you will not face any traffic at all apart from the odd BMTC bus. Atleast you can avoid Sunkadakatte mess. Distance too is a bit shorter. This road is kind of picturesque too. I take this road nowadays.

Quote:
Take Kunigal - Nelmangala Road - Though the flyover is open till Jalahally cross Junction, from thereon traffic builds heavily. Add the traffic chaos @ Yeshwanthpura Rly station.
Today morning I took 1.5hrs to cross this messed up traffic.It's a pain(My car's silencer scraping the humps) to traverse from Kunigal - Nelamangala, Lots of Road humps and some part of the road is potholed.

Yeah, even my cousin was stuck 2 hrs today morning in Yeshwantpur.

Its a total pain to drive on BM road. Last week, I almost witnessed a huge head on collision (somewhere after Bellur Cross). Luckily, the truck and the car (which was overtaking me) stopped just centimeters from each other.

If the road still deteriorates, we might be forced to take the Hassan-Mysore-Bangalore route with excellent road all the way

Last edited by addyhemmige : 8th November 2010 at 12:55.
Old 8th November 2010, 13:04   #2756
BHPian

Quote:
Back from Native,

@Sushrutha : I believe you stay in Padmanabhanagar. Why then are you not taking the NICE Link Road originating near the PESIT on ORR ? This way you can directly get on to Magadi Road near Gollarahatti ( After Sunkadakatte).

We always do this and except for the bad patch inside Magadi Town, do not encounter any bad roads right upto joining NH-48 near Kunigal.

Last edited by Rajesh K R : 8th November 2010 at 13:05.
Old 8th November 2010, 13:28   #2757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Better go to Kengeri and take Kommaghatta road directly to Tavarekere. , we might be forced to take the Hassan-Mysore-Bangalore route with excellent road all the way
Thanks for the first route,
But can't take the traffic from BLR-MANDYA :-(, it's pathetic + unscientific roadhumps once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
@Sushrutha : I believe you stay in Padmanabhanagar. Why then are you not taking the NICE Link Road originating near the PESIT on ORR ? This way you can directly get on to Magadi Road near Gollarahatti ( After Sunkadakatte).
Yep Rajesh, I do stay @ Padmanabhanagar.
If I start from here, I do take the above mentioned road always.
But most of the times, I do start to Native from Lavelle Road :-), So it's either Magadi road or Nelmangala road.

Next time on I 'll take BSK(Pesit) NICE Road - Nelamangala - Tumkur- Kadur-CKM :-) , No traffic whatso ever.
This is the route I always follow whenever I go to Shimoga
Old 8th November 2010, 13:33   #2758
Senior - BHPian

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-art-traveling-channrayapattana.jpg

My brother once travelled through this route (option1) while returning from Udupi.

Option 1 (top most route) : 190 KMs
Option 2 (cener one): 148 KMs
Option 3 (bottom most) : 151 KM

he told me that the road is very good throughout.

can anyone confirm this route ?
Old 8th November 2010, 15:14   #2759
Senior - BHPian

Updates

I drove to Mangalore over the 3 day weekend and took 2 different routes.

Route 1 :Nelamangala-Kunigal-NH48 till Mangalore

Route 2: Mangalore-BC Road-Belthangady-Charmady-Mudigere-Belur-Hassan-Kunigal-Magadi-NICE road

Taking the Nelamangala stretch was a big mistake .When you come from the NICE road ,you will have a signboard showing directions to "Tumkur " and "Nelamangala city".I did the mistake of taking the Nelamanagala city exit .At 4 am traffic was lesser ,but this is like a service road with lot of intersections.
We didnt lose much time here ,but any other time of teh day and this would have meant considerable time lost

Nelamnagala -Kunigal is a pain ..would advice everyone coming from inside the city to avoid that in the night.Maybe driving during daytime would be easier to spot the potholes and the diversions

Kunigal to Sakleshpur as usual is the runway with Kunigal-Channrayapatna helping you gain speed while you can really take off after channrayapatna.

The Shiradi Ghat is in bad shape but its still manageable.Just that one shouldnt be driving too close behind any vehicle so that you have sufficient time to avoid the craters.

On the return leg,we came via Charmadi Ghat .Here the roads are in better shape ,but its longer in terms of time taken.

20 kms before Mudigere is enough to kill your suspension if you arent careful.

Belur -Hassan is like a race track and its so easy to get carried away and commit suicide on this stretch and at the same time kill others as well.Easily ,one of the best roads that I have driven on.

About the Magadi road,there are just a few bad patches around Magadi town .Other than these,its awesome.

This time i stuck to a limit of 100 kph and got a super FE of 16.7 kpl overall.
Old 8th November 2010, 15:49   #2760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Actually, there is no safety issue for motorists. I have heard that Naxalism is a problem for plantation owners and businessmen in some specific areas - in interior areas beyond Kollur (some places inaccessible), Chickmagalur coffee countryside, Mudigere, etc. but never a problem for passer bys. I had some business interests in Kollur area a couple of years ago and I was cautioned to get out of the region - since I was travelling far into the interior into some small villages - before it was dark, but I never heard of any untoward incidents.

Most Viewed