Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2010, 10:53   #2776
BHPian

Quote:
I'm planning to travel to mangalore this thursday and intended to take the mysore route as i wanted to have a stopover at madikeri. Read somewhere that the road is now closed for some work from november 1st. Can someone please clarify on this and suggest an alternate route if possible.
Perez, did you take the Madikeri - Sullya - Mangalore route. Is it open?

Last edited by gypsyFreak : 15th November 2010 at 10:54.
Old 15th November 2010, 11:53   #2777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Whats the latest update on Tumkur - Kadur - Shimoga Road ??
I'm planning to travel to Shimoga tomorrow morning.
Back from Shimoga & CKM trip.
Most of the road is in driveable condition , but Deep potholes after Tiptur.
Potholes can be avoided only if your speed is below 60kmph, else for sure you'll definetely hit anyone of the potholes.
I did drive slow, so avoided most of the potholes.
Don't take this route after dark, definetly you'll screw your suspension if you go through any of the deep potholes.

HASSAN-BLR , too much of potholes. Just within a span of 1 week, the road has deteriorated pretty bad, due to heavy rains
Old 15th November 2010, 12:20   #2778
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Perez, did you take the Madikeri - Sullya - Mangalore route. Is it open?
It will be closed starting Dec 2010.

Last Tuesday I drove back to Manipal. I had planned to take Shiradi as usual, even managed to leave by 7AM. But.... ran into car trouble right away.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post2133648

Anyway, 6 hours later I finally managed to start at 1PM. Now I had to deal with crazy traffic all the way until the Peenya toll road. During day time, the Nelamangala-Kunigal stretch was a breeze provided you are on a SUV. Diversions are not that bad or blind as in the night.

As I closed on Hassan, my MMI powered Garmin asked me to take the road towards Belur instead of continuing towards Sakleshpur. That was surprising, Satguide never used to that do. At first I overrode that instruction, but then I thought about driving Shiradi ghat in the night, decided to follow the GPS and took off towards Belur. Upon reaching Belur, GPS completely lost its bearing and asked me to drive into a lake. Until then I was wondering whether it will take me via Charmady or Chikmagalur. Now I was left with no choice but take matter into hand, I picked the Chikmagalur route. GPS was again totally clueless until I reached Chikmagalur. After Aldur it again become totally confused, and declared it can't find a route to go to Manipal. These Indian GPS maps are really pathetic, Satguide or MMI, they don't know half the highways in Karnataka. The stretch between Aldur and Balehonnur is Ok, but with many potholes distributed evenly. Rest of the route was acceptable. This route is only 10kms longer than the Shiradi route.

I expected fog around Agumbe, but it was surprisingly clear at around 9PM. I finally reached home at 10:10PM.
Old 15th November 2010, 14:01   #2779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks Samurai.
What is the source of this information. Is there any notice in the papers?

How can we get to know when it will be closed/opened?
Old 15th November 2010, 14:46   #2780
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Thanks Samurai.
What is the source of this information. Is there any notice in the papers?
Nothing on paper yet. I have a Coorgee employee who regularly takes this route, he heard it in Coorg. It is supposedly closing on Dec 1st.

Next option is Bisle ghat, for the stout hearted that is... However, I think most will travel further up to Kodlipet, Gonibeedu and hit the Shiradi ghat instead.
Old 15th November 2010, 15:08   #2781
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing on paper yet. I have a Coorgee employee who regularly takes this route, he heard it in Coorg. It is supposedly closing on Dec 1st.

Next option is Bisle ghat, for the stout hearted that is... However, I think most will travel further up to Kodlipet, Gonibeedu and hit the Shiradi ghat instead.
Supposedly... this road was to be closed from Nov 1 onwards... now it has become Dec 1.
Anyways, will PM you on Dec 1 to get the update. There are some plans to Udupi and beyond in next 1 month.
Old 15th November 2010, 16:10   #2782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Just came back after an unexpected trip to Mangalore. Took NH48 to and fro. Hassan - Sakaleshpur stretch is damaged in some places. The damage is big and bad. Shiradi ghat is rough and bad, but easily drivable if you drive in the middle of the road. Shiradi - Uppinangadi is good to drive with some bad stretches. Uppinangadi - BC road is bad. BC road - Mangalore is good but too many diversions.

Thanks for the info. So it appears the road is damaged and bad with some good stretches !
Old 15th November 2010, 17:29   #2783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Samurai ,thanks for this info!!

So ,how does one drive from Madikeri to Mangalore?

Cheers,
Satya
Old 15th November 2010, 20:49   #2784
Senior - BHPian

Go Via Sulya, Puttur. Road widening was happenning and hopefully must have been completed by now. Be prepared for some bad patches. Still a better option to go to Mangalore via Madikeri.

Also if you are travelling between Belur - Mudigere avoid gonibeedu and take the alternate road via Gendehalli which is good. Happenned to drive through this sterctch ten days back. Though single way, scenes are awesome too.
Old 16th November 2010, 11:51   #2785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, I think most will travel further up to Kodlipet, Gonibeedu and hit the Shiradi ghat instead.
Samurai,
Is there another Gonibeedu near Kodlipete ?
AFAIK, Gonibeedu comes between Mudigere - Belur
Old 16th November 2010, 12:11   #2786
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Samurai,
Is there another Gonibeedu near Kodlipete ?
AFAIK, Gonibeedu comes between Mudigere - Belur
Oops, I mean Donigal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Go Via Sulya, Puttur. Road widening was happenning and hopefully must have been completed by now. Be prepared for some bad patches. Still a better option to go to Mangalore via Madikeri.
The road widening work has not even started, they will hopefully start on Dec 1st after closing the road.
Old 17th November 2010, 01:59   #2787
BHPian

Quote:
Oops, I mean Donigal.

The road widening work has not even started, they will hopefully start on Dec 1st after closing the road.

Road widening has already started in the stretches between Puttur and Sulya. Last when I saw there were already extension works going on for small bridges. Puttur bypass was already dug up one lane and being asphalted.
I think they are waiting for CM to officially announce the work.
Old 17th November 2010, 11:48   #2788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Road widening has already started in the stretches between Puttur and Sulya. Last when I saw there were already extension works going on for small bridges. Puttur bypass was already dug up one lane and being asphalted.
I think they are waiting for CM to officially announce the work.

Yeah ,road widening work has already started near Puttur.I saw this in the last week and the road was in pathetic shape .I was driving the ANHC and was having trouble in avoiding scraping the underbody.

My question is -how does one travel from Mysore to Mangalore once this road is closed for repairs.

Is anyone aware of any alternate options (other than Bisle Ghat) of driving to Mangalore from Madikeri.
Old 17th November 2010, 12:01   #2789
Team-BHP Support

Puthur bypass work has been happening since 6 months.

Shortest alternate route is bhagmandala-Kasaragod route. I have never taken it though.

Mysore, Karnataka 570001 to Mangalore, Karnataka - Google Maps

Other possibilities.

http://maps.google.co.in/maps?f=d&so...5&ie=UTF8&z=10

http://maps.google.co.in/maps?f=d&so...5&ie=UTF8&z=10

Last edited by Samurai : 17th November 2010 at 12:04.
Old 17th November 2010, 12:57   #2790
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Samurai.If this road is really closed then ,the Charmadi is the road that I might take other than Shiradi .Though in better shape as compared to Nh48,this is a much slower road .

This only means stopping alll drives to mangalore for sometime to come :(

Most Viewed