Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:02   #1276

i just returned back from mangalore. the roads via Sampaje was good enough to drive. i own a logan, and i didnt bump or scrape my car, which was so much of a relief to me. atleast comparing it to the Shiradi ghat stories ive been hearing, i had a decent drive through the madikeri-sampaje route! will suggest all to use that for now, it puts in a extra bit of kilometers, but beats the crappy driving through horrendous potholes on shiradi ghat!
Old 22nd October 2009, 17:15   #1277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Thankfully got 2tier AC tickets in 6517 under tatkal. I wish the roads to be better in another 2-3 months.
Good to hear that buddy..

Now we can discuss the route for your next trip.
I dont see any end to this thread in near future
Old 23rd October 2009, 00:00   #1278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I dont see any end to this thread in near future
Really. 84 pages.
Bad reputation of Shiradi ghat road to thank.
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:13   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Am off to Mangalore tomorrow of the dayafter and i intend to take madikeri route.

Well i guess this thread will be alive all thanks to the regular travellers like us and ofcourse the lovely roads all through out the region hehehe
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:20   #1280
VMC
BHPian

If anyone wants to travel by car this route then i would suggest you take the bus since the roads are really worse. Mangalore-Kunadapur road also is an a pathetic condition. My colleagues travelled last week(oct 16-17) and this is the latest update.
Old 23rd October 2009, 18:48   #1281
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Am off to Mangalore tomorrow of the dayafter and i intend to take madikeri route.

Well i guess this thread will be alive all thanks to the regular travellers like us and ofcourse the lovely roads all through out the region hehehe
Madikeri route is the best bet now I believe.
If the Shiradi ghat road gets better, then this thread will have to be closed. This would mean no possibility of meeting fellow BHPians(Unless there is a Team-BHP sticker) during the journey.
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:14   #1282
BHPian

Don't worry, be happy, enjoy shiradi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Madikeri route is the best bet now I believe.
If the Shiradi ghat road gets better, then this thread will have to be closed. This would mean no possibility of meeting fellow BHPians(Unless there is a Team-BHP sticker) during the journey.
Dont' worry. You are at the least 10 years away from getting this thread closed. Shiradi is not getting better any soon.
Old 26th October 2009, 09:53   #1283
Senior - BHPian

Shiradi makes it to TOI front page (Sunday)

Am not sure how many got a chance to seeread it but it has almost the same news which we have read and talked till now..

But i wonder does it make any difference to the people concerned(thick skinned)
Old 26th October 2009, 12:25   #1284
Senior - BHPian

If it would have made a difference, the road would have been a world class road by now. Last year or the year before, I remember reading people staging a dharna in Sakleshpur for the improvement of the road. Even a CBI inquiry was initiated to investigate the constructors who built the road. That has not helped at all.

According to the newspaper, the only way to ensure longevity of the Shiradi Ghat road is to relay the whole stretch, from scratch

With all the negative press that the road is getting, my guess is that, if at all the government bothers to repair/re-lay it, they stand to win in the next election
Old 26th October 2009, 12:43   #1285
Senior - BHPian

Am sure soon the "SUV" manufacturers will test and shoot ads in Shiradi and NH17
Old 26th October 2009, 13:13   #1286
BHPian

I have to drive to Udupi on this coming sat (31 oct). I am taking the civic. Please suggest the best route to take. The only route that I know of is shiradi which is probably not an option.

Is madekeri a good option? Or is shimoga a better option? (Note that i am taking the civic known for low gc). Please suggest. Full details on route will be nice as I dont know any of these routes clearly.
Old 26th October 2009, 14:22   #1287
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
I have to drive to Udupi on this coming sat (31 oct). I am taking the civic. Please suggest the best route to take. The only route that I know of is shiradi which is probably not an option.

Is madekeri a good option? Or is shimoga a better option? (Note that i am taking the civic known for low gc). Please suggest. Full details on route will be nice as I dont know any of these routes clearly.
@ash_blore,
pls use the route :.

Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Madikeri - Sampaje - Sullya - Puttur - Mani - BC road - Mangalore.
Old 26th October 2009, 15:05   #1288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Madikeri - Sampaje - Sullya - Puttur - Mani - BC road - Mangalore.
If the destination is Udupi, then I would suggest a slight deviation which can reduce 20KMs and lot of heartburn on NH-17.

Turn right just before B.C road towards Bantwala. Turn left at the next major junction towards Moodubidri (ask directions from bystanders), and continue through Moodbidri, Karkala, Manipal and Udupi. Shorter by 20KMs and roads are good until almost the very end.
Old 26th October 2009, 16:42   #1289
BHPian

I came back to Bangalore last night via sleeper bus, it was horrible journey i would say. Once the bus left pumpwell circle, i can feel the road and its path holes. When it entered Shiradi ghat section, it was horrible experience. I would have fallen 4-5 times from upper berth, since i was awake i could manage. It was really a night mare, some holes were able to touch bottom of the bus.
Old 26th October 2009, 16:59   #1290
BHPian

A colleague of mine (whom I introduced to this forum) is planning on doing a Bangalore-Manipal road-trip on his Scorpio (with family/kids) in a couple of weeks time (for the TAPMI reunion). What's the best route suggested?

He wanted to post himself, but his membership has yet to be approved. Hence posting on his behalf!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks