Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:10   #1381
BHPian

The main road from Bangalore to Kundapura is via Hassan - Mangalore.

From Sakleshpur to Kundapur the road condition is very bad.

You can try Blore - Mysore - Coorg - Puttur - BC road - Mangalore - Udupi - Kundapur road. Its a bit lengthy but traffic is pretty low.
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:45   #1382
BHPian

That was quick..thanks pal !
Now some questions- embedded within your comments below in BOLD. Appreciate your response

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
From Shimoga you can take these routes to Kundapura:

1. Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Siddapura - Basrur - Kundapura - Koteshwara

2. Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Hebri - Halady - Kundapura - Koteshwara

Can you also provide the latest road conditions of the above 2 circuits and the main circuit ie BLR-Tumkur-Tiptur-Arisekere-Birur-badravati-shimoga
Quote:
The main road from Bangalore to Kundapura is via Hassan - Mangalore.

From Sakleshpur to Kundapur the road condition is very bad. -
Did you hint Sakleshpur - Sirid Ghats-Mangalore and the pathetic NH17. If YES, I am aware of the worst conditions of the that stretch. Otherwise Is there a route through Kudremukh/Sringeri from Sakleshpur towards Kundapur side ?

You can try Blore - Mysore - Coorg - Puttur - BC road - Mangalore - Udupi - Kundapur road. Its a bit lengthy but traffic is pretty low.
I heard Coog roads have also gone to the dogs and I feel it is a big detour.
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:28   #1383
BHPian

oops... Missed the Sakleshpur Quote....

I travel every month to Mangalore by road. Its my hometown

I am not much aware of Blore - Shimoga road condition... But from Shimoga to Kundapur from what i have heard is also not that great.

Basically whichever roads the Bellary mining trucks ply are almost in a worn out state in the coastal belt.. Some of the trucks come through Shimoga -Thirthahalli route to Mangalore port via Haladi ghat.

And yes there is a route from Kudremukh and Sringeri also.

1. Blore - Nelmangala- Hassan -Belur - Kottighehara - Kalasa- Kudremukh- Karkala- Udupi - Kundapura.

But road between Kottighehara and Kalasa is not good.

2. Blore - Nelmangala - Hassan - Belur - Kottighehara - Kalasa - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Haladi - Kundapura.

Both these routes have beautiful scenery.

Have travelled last month through Coorg. It was not as bad as Shiradi ghat. Roads are narrow compared to other routes.
Old 23rd November 2009, 20:49   #1384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Well guys am off to Mangalore this Wednesday, wondering shoud i take Madikeri or Charmadi or Kudremukha...

I think taking Kudremukha route i will have to suffer the rough stretch in Mudigere and Kalasa but rest should be good.

Where as madikeri i have quiet a few stretches but i guess will save time and effort going via mysore road then the Magadi or Peenya..

Any suggestions?
Are you traveling in car or bike? If bike, then i would suggest Madikeri route since it is pretty much doable. I will be traveling from Mangalore this saturday, thinking off taking madikeri route again.
Old 23rd November 2009, 20:54   #1385
Senior - BHPian

Will be traveling in my car, has the Madikeri route gone really bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Are you traveling in car or bike? If bike, then i would suggest Madikeri route since it is pretty much doable. I will be traveling from Mangalore this saturday, thinking off taking madikeri route again.
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:04   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Will be traveling in my car, has the Madikeri route gone really bad?
Yes. It is like driving through Shiradi ghats with less craters (not so deep). Madikeri - Suliya is in very bad shape.
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:50   #1387
BHPian

Hi, I am planing to go to Puttur this weekend with family on Corolla! Thinking of 2 routes as of now
1) Blr-Nice road_mysore-Madikeri-Sullia-Puttur. Travelled this route month ago. It was ok. Kushalanagar to Sampaje was bad took about 3 hrs for ~60kms
2) Blr-Nice road-Hasan-Shiradi-Puttur. Not travelled on this road for > year now.

Can anyone travelled on this road in the past 1 week or 2 tell me if Shiradi is driveable and how many kms of bad stretch on this route & how long it takes?
Old 23rd November 2009, 22:30   #1388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Hi, I am planing to go to Puttur this weekend with family on Corolla! Thinking of 2 routes as of now
1) Blr-Nice road_mysore-Madikeri-Sullia-Puttur. Travelled this route month ago. It was ok. Kushalanagar to Sampaje was bad took about 3 hrs for ~60kms
2) Blr-Nice road-Hasan-Shiradi-Puttur. Not travelled on this road for > year now.

Can anyone travelled on this road in the past 1 week or 2 tell me if Shiradi is driveable and how many kms of bad stretch on this route & how long it takes?
Madikeri might be a better bet, if your destination is puttur.
Old 24th November 2009, 10:52   #1389
BHPian

There is one more route to Kundapur. This route has lower traffic.

Blore - Hassan- Belur- Kottighehara - Charmadi Ghat - Belthangadi - Mudabidri - Karkala - Udupi - Kundapura.
Old 24th November 2009, 11:22   #1390
BHPian

@kadri007..Marvellous !! Thanks for the inputs, i shall consider one of the options to drive as suggested by you ! Mostly I think I will stick to the regular BLR-Shimoga-Kundpr route..
Old 24th November 2009, 12:29   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshurs View Post
1. Blr (Rajarajeswari Nagar)- Nice Road- Kunigal : Good Road, Covered in 1.20 mins
Total Travel Time :8.15 mins with a 45 min lunch break and 4 breaks of 10 mins
That was super duper quick just 8.15mins to reach manipal from Bangalore.NICE Road - Kunigal 1.20Mins...
I know it's a typo. It should have been 1hr 20mins & 8hrs 15mins right. Anyways just pulling your leg.
Old 24th November 2009, 12:55   #1392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post

Hi

I have travelled 3 weeks back. And the condition of Hassan - Shiradi stretch is just pathetic. I came through a private sleeper coach bus so it mangaed to reach Bangalore in 8 hours without putting brakes on potholes and it was a back breaking roller coaster ride.

But i would not advice taking this route in any car since the ground clearence is lower. There are some stretch where there are one feet potholes also.

Currently Blore - Mysore - Puttur is the only other short route to Puttur.
Old 24th November 2009, 13:00   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Best route to Kundapura from Bangalore as of now is
BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-MUDIGERE-UJIRE-GURUVAYANKERE-KARKALA-UDUPI-KUNDAPURA
Just a bad strectch between Belur-Mudigere.
Other Possible route
BLR-HASSAN-CHIKMAGALUR-ALDUR-SRINGERI-AGUMBE-HEBRI-HALADI-KUNDAPURA.
This has fantastic road all the way till Agumbe, from there on I have not much idea about road condition as of now, but was good sometime back
Old 24th November 2009, 15:49   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Best route to Kundapura from Bangalore as of now is
BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-MUDIGERE-UJIRE-GURUVAYANKERE-KARKALA-UDUPI-KUNDAPURA
Just a bad strectch between Belur-Mudigere.
Other Possible route
BLR-HASSAN-CHIKMAGALUR-ALDUR-SRINGERI-AGUMBE-HEBRI-HALADI-KUNDAPURA.
This has fantastic road all the way till Agumbe, from there on I have not much idea about road condition as of now, but was good sometime back
Thanks for your inputs .
By the by how latest is your report on the road conditions of the above route ?

Also can someone update the latest report on the BLR-Shimoga road conditions ? I feel this road is pretty straightfoward, and since I am about to travel with my family I would like to ensure a hassle free journey.
Old 24th November 2009, 23:40   #1395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I have travelled 3 weeks back. And the condition of Hassan - Shiradi stretch is just pathetic. I came through a private sleeper coach bus so it mangaed to reach Bangalore in 8 hours without putting brakes on potholes and it was a back breaking roller coaster ride.

But i would not advice taking this route in any car since the ground clearence is lower. There are some stretch where there are one feet potholes also.

Currently Blore - Mysore - Puttur is the only other short route to Puttur.
Its always nice to see this thread always picking up its update frequency everytime a holiday season comes closer ..... its almost nearing Christmas time now. Its a boon to have this thread for reference given the pathetic state of these stretches.

In addition to "backbreaking" experience in bus, an additional "heartbreaking" experience is felt when travelling in car and seeing the suspension bear the constant beating on the Shiradi Ghats.

Most Viewed