Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2009, 08:14   #1396
Distinguished - BHPian

Kadri / Sushrutha - thanks much !

Any rough distance estimates for these routes ?

1. Blore - Hassan- Belur- Kottighehara - Charmadi Ghat - Belthangadi - Mudabidri - Karkala - Udupi - Kundapura
2. BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-MUDIGERE-UJIRE-GURUVAYANKERE-KARKALA-UDUPI-KUNDAPURA
3. BLR-HASSAN-CHIKMAGALUR-ALDUR-SRINGERI-AGUMBE-HEBRI-HALADI-KUNDAPURA

Last edited by theMAG : 25th November 2009 at 08:23.
Old 25th November 2009, 11:08   #1397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Kadri / Sushrutha - thanks much !

Any rough distance estimates for these routes ?

1. Blore - Hassan- Belur- Kottighehara - Charmadi Ghat - Belthangadi - Mudabidri - Karkala - Udupi - Kundapura
2. BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-MUDIGERE-UJIRE-GURUVAYANKERE-KARKALA-UDUPI-KUNDAPURA
3. BLR-HASSAN-CHIKMAGALUR-ALDUR-SRINGERI-AGUMBE-HEBRI-HALADI-KUNDAPURA
Rough distance estimation are as follows
all the 3 route distance will be around 430kms (+-20kms)
Old 27th November 2009, 11:16   #1398
Senior - BHPian

Am off to Mangalore tomorrow and seems like will take "Madikeri route, any updates on other routes?
Old 27th November 2009, 13:00   #1399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Am off to Mangalore tomorrow and seems like will take "Madikeri route, any updates on other routes?
Shirady is as bad as ever, and charmady is not an option for you. So you have been left with nothing but madikeri.
Old 29th November 2009, 13:46   #1400
BHPian

I traveled back to Bangalore yesterday and here is the small update i have,

Sondikuppa - Kushal nagar road is better now, they have improved it on one lane and other is being done.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:58   #1401
Senior - BHPian

Kushalnagara to Madikeri road is being done. seems like the quality of work is good. at least the way they were doing the work it looked promising.

Sampaji till Mani some rough patches intially but improves later. Mani to BC road some deep potholes bur doable. BC road to Mlore gets frustrating! with lots of rough patches...avoid this stretch at night!
Old 1st December 2009, 19:09   #1402
BHPian

Quote:
BC road to Mlore gets frustrating! with lots of rough patches...avoid this stretch at night!
Yes. I took Mangalore university road which is in good condition except few bad patches near Infosys. From pumpwell circle till Mani, it comes around 35KMs and can be done in 45-50 mins; much much better than BC Road.

Last edited by funda2max : 1st December 2009 at 19:10.
Old 5th December 2009, 19:59   #1403
BHPian

I will be traveling coming Friday to Mangalore and back on Monday. I have to go in the treacherous Shiradi ghat once again since i have no option :(

Have booked in a private bus and all private buses take this short route to save time and money.

Will update the road conditions once i am back.
Old 5th December 2009, 20:26   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Have booked in a private bus and all private buses take this short route to save time and money.
But, they will not save on maintenance.
Old 5th December 2009, 23:34   #1405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
But, they will not save on maintenance.
That's true but they make some money by putting luggage at the top.. Here's one which i took during my Mumbai tour... that's less luggage what i can say...Some buses to Mangalore even put more luggage than the below snap.

But the amazing thing.. is despite having almost a truck load of luggage and having a terrible road in Bangalore - Mangalore stretch. They actually come down the Shiradi ghat with ease and they still manage to reach Mangalore on time.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-yeshwanthlive.jpg  

Old 6th December 2009, 00:38   #1406
BHPian

art of travelling between b'lore and m'lore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
That's true but they make some money by putting luggage at the top.. Here's one which i took during my Mumbai tour... that's less luggage what i can say...Some buses to Mangalore even put more luggage than the below snap.

But the amazing thing.. is despite having almost a truck load of luggage and having a terrible road in Bangalore - Mangalore stretch. They actually come down the Shiradi ghat with ease and they still manage to reach Mangalore on time.
Yeah, can only say that they might be the true practitioners, of the art of travelling between b'lore and m'lore.
Old 7th December 2009, 09:54   #1407
Senior - BHPian

Guys any updates on road condition towards Udupi/Kundapura? heard till Surathkal its a mess and also seems some repair work going on?
Old 7th December 2009, 16:18   #1408
Senior - BHPian

Anyone can provide any first hand information of the status of Charmadi ghats. I plan to visit Dharmasthala over weekend and wanted to take the following route -

Bangalore --> Hassan--> Belur -->Mudigere -->Ujire -->Dharmasthala.

Alternative route suggestion welcome. My primary requirement is Safety and well being of both people and car.
Old 7th December 2009, 16:55   #1409
BHPian

Quote:
Guys any updates on road condition towards Udupi/Kundapura? heard till Surathkal its a mess and also seems some repair work going on?
Surathkal is a cakewalk if you compare it to mulki - padubidre. It is sort of ok from here until udupi, and it gets rough when you approach kundapur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Anyone can provide any first hand information of the status of Charmadi ghats. I plan to visit Dharmasthala over weekend and wanted to take the following route -

Alternative route suggestion welcome. My primary requirement is Safety and well being of both people and car.
For dharmasthala, this is the best possible routing. Charmadi is in much better shape than all other possibilities.
Old 7th December 2009, 17:02   #1410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post

The charmadi ghat roads were repaired some months back. Currently thats the only best option to go to Dharmastala.

The ideal time to drive down the ghat is early morning where you have the mist over the hills. Its just amazing at that time.

If you are driving at night you can leave Bangalore at around 10 PM or 11PM , so that you can reach Kottighera by around 5.30 - 6 AM.

You can take a break at Kamath hotel for a tea in Chenrayapatna. The hotel is open till 3.30 AM.

If you are driving from Bangalore south try taking the NICE road option to reach Tumkur road. Try avoiding Jalahalli cross, 8th Mile stretch. Construction work is going on in full swing on the flyover.

Once you reach Nelmangala then its a pretty good road to Hassan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks