Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2009, 12:23   #631
BHPian

Had been to M'lore via. Madikeri/Sampaje ghats, and returned via. Sakleshpur/Shiradi ghats. Personal take is that the Madikeri route, apart from the bad patches around Madikeri and upto Sampaje, is still the better one among these two. The difference in distance for me is an additional 25 kms via. Madikeri, but still worth it as SH88 is wider and has reflective markers on the roads, while NH48 has none. Also, lesser traffic movement on SH88 makes it more safer to travel too.
Old 6th May 2009, 13:27   #632
Senior - BHPian

Kamath, best part of madikeri route is you dont have to go through the hellish peenya road or put extra kms to avoid it...

next time i would take this route... hope can get to go asap
Old 6th May 2009, 13:31   #633
BHPian

I am also planning to go in August mid week during 15th(Xtra long weekend 13 to 16 Aug). My friend who recently visited Mangalore through Madikeri and said roads are good with some bad patches at Madikeri which he avoided while coming back by bypassing it by entering Madikere town and took Nisarga dham and Dubare route which opens at Kushal Nagar

Last edited by aka_iitd : 6th May 2009 at 13:33. Reason: Spell check
Old 6th May 2009, 13:57   #634
Senior - BHPian

aka, August is too far away my friend. July,August Monsoon will be very active so raods will be tested. you can expect lots of pot holes for sure
Old 6th May 2009, 15:41   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Kamath, best part of madikeri route is you dont have to go through the hellish peenya road or put extra kms to avoid it...

next time i would take this route... hope can get to go asap
I would suggest Madikeri route as well. You can avoid the heavy vehicles which will slow you down on hassan Road which on which four lane work is going on.

Also on madikeri route till you reach kushalanagar its a four lane and after madikeri the road is great to drive (I know it is atleast till kallugundi before sulya) as well.

The additional distance wont matter as you will still end up saving fuel and probably time not to mention the more relaxed and fun parts on this section,
Its safer as well.
Old 7th May 2009, 15:55   #636
Senior - BHPian

Awesome report..

U still managed to reach mangalore so fast even after clicking so many pics.

road looks good..but with all those mining trucks and monsoons, well hardly few months more
Old 7th May 2009, 16:29   #637
Senior - BHPian

marlin,traveling on NH48 is no fun these days as i mentioned earlier it has lost its charm and sometimes it gets messy with heavy traffic and construction work.

With added chaos on peenya road it make sense for me living in east blore to go via Mysore rd, Madikeri road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
I would suggest Madikeri route as well. You can avoid the heavy vehicles which will slow you down on hassan Road which on which four lane work is going on.

Also on madikeri route till you reach kushalanagar its a four lane and after madikeri the road is great to drive (I know it is atleast till kallugundi before sulya) as well.

The additional distance wont matter as you will still end up saving fuel and probably time not to mention the more relaxed and fun parts on this section,
Its safer as well.
Old 9th May 2009, 23:14   #638
Senior - BHPian

Hi

Thanks for the nice report and photographs and also good discussions on several routes. They explain a lot to a Newbie like mw.

I plan to tavel from Bangalore to Udupi to Ankola on 27th May.
I understood from the report that the road condistions through
Shiradi Ghat is ok now for the day drive. Even the road from
Mangalore to Udupi is okay.

I wanted to know how good is the condition of the road from
Udupi till Ankola. Has anyone travelled on NH17 recently. ?
any help/advice is welcome.
thanks in advance
Old 11th May 2009, 13:43   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi

I plan to tavel from Bangalore to Udupi to Ankola on 27th May.
I understood from the report that the road condistions through
Shiradi Ghat is ok now for the day drive. Even the road from
Mangalore to Udupi is okay.

I wanted to know how good is the condition of the road from
Udupi till Ankola. Has anyone travelled on NH17 recently. ?
any help/advice is welcome.
thanks in advance
Hello,
I travelled from Mangalore to Goa & back on 1st May 2009 and 2nd May 2009.

The road condition of NH17 from Mangalore to Goa is good after repair except a few stretches near Ankola. Portion of the road looks washed away due to heavy rain and heavier mining trucks, but nothing to deter anybody from travelling.

Moreover, if your destination is Udupi & then Ankola, you need not go to Mangalore. Either take a deviation after Gundya towards Dharmastala, Ujire and then to Udupi or via Belur-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Karkala-Udupi. If you search through various posts on this thread you will find the exact route info.
Old 11th May 2009, 14:09   #640
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Satish for the response.
Actually, i plan to stay at my native place for 1-2 days and then proceed to Ankola.
I prefer to travel via Mangalore as i have some work in there. I will try the alternative routes while returning
Old 11th May 2009, 15:59   #641
BHPian

Quote:
marlin,traveling on NH48 is no fun these days as i mentioned earlier it has lost its charm and sometimes it gets messy with heavy traffic and construction work.

with added chaos on peenya road it make sense for me living in east blore to go via Mysore rd, Madikeri road.
Lohith.It makes absolute sense for any one who is in bangalore who need to touch yeshwantpur flyover near metro before reaching neelamangala to avoid NH 48 altogether and go via madikeri.

Those who still want to attempt NH48 atleast take magadi road to reach kunigal, atleast it save a part of the hassle.

Last edited by marlinspike : 11th May 2009 at 16:07.
Old 11th May 2009, 16:03   #642
Senior - BHPian

It makes sense to go via Mangalore as going via karkala would consume more time. roads a ere narrow and winding.

Quote:
Thanks Satish for the response.
Actually, i plan to stay at my native place for 1-2 days and then proceed to Ankola.
I prefer to travel via Mangalore as i have some work in there. I will try the alternative routes while returning
Old 12th May 2009, 20:36   #643
Senior - BHPian

completed a trip to mangalore recently. The roads via shiradi is very good now, except for 1 pothole which could be a concern. Else all is very fine.

left Bangalore at 4 am and reached Dharmasthala at 8.30AM.

Also had driven around to karkala, venur, mudabidri, horanadu via kudremukh, sringeri, agumbe. Roads are pretty good, except that they are narrow and sides are a little deep to getdown in speed.

Doable by cars!

weather was quite pleasant, since there were some rains during the night.
Old 13th May 2009, 13:41   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It makes sense to go via Mangalore as going via karkala would consume more time. roads a ere narrow and winding.
Thanks, Lohit

BTW how is the weather in Udipi now a days, is it hot and humid, what is the temperature like during day time.
Old 13th May 2009, 14:48   #645
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BTW how is the weather in Udipi now a days, is it hot and humid, what is the temperature like during day time.
Well, I'd like to quote Robin Williams from Good Morning Vietnam about the hot weather, but then I'd have to infract myself. So, yeah. It is hot and humid, I can't wait for the early monsoon (May 25th) they have predicted. Which means it might be late this time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks