Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 13:09   #556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Right on lohith!!.

....i was surprised (and happy) to see Shiradi patched up. ...
I don't think the bad stretch is about 20 kms. It should not be more than 6-8 kms. Since it is in the ghats, even a small stretch will seem longer (especially if the road is bad).
There are a few places where you still have to be very careful regarding the underbellies of your cars, but overall, the route is very doable. ...

@lohith-5hrs 15 min to nelamangala is pretty good time. What car do you drive?

Couldn't agree more! I'm just back to -and -fro through Shiradi. It took me 6.5 Hours from Pumpwell to Nelamangala

Its much better now with a bit of bad stretches in the middle of the Ghats. Easily Do-able in any car without getting the underbelly scratced.

Patchy-repair is going on and on. Rather than fix it once and for all, they do a chocolate coating on the road so that it gets spoilt again and they get their contracts back.
The roads should hold well until the monsoons start.

This time I took pics of the ghats to post here I'll upload them in the evening.
Old 15th April 2009, 13:19   #557
Senior - BHPian

Also one of the curves which was half completed, the other side is getting done.

Wonder what actions are been taken on the previous contractor...if not punishment am sure he has million curses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Couldn't agree more! I'm just back to -and -fro through Shiradi. It took me 6.5 Hours from Pumpwell to Nelamangala

Its much better now with a bit of bad stretches in the middle of the Ghats. Easily Do-able in any car without getting the underbelly scratced.

Patchy-repair is going on and on. Rather than fix it once and for all, they do a chocolate coating on the road so that it gets spoilt again and they get their contracts back.
The roads should hold well until the monsoons start.

This time I took pics of the ghats to post here I'll upload them in the evening.
Old 15th April 2009, 13:35   #558
BHPian

Quote:

Eagerly awaiting them! I hope I get to see the worst stretches too, will help me decide for a trip next month!
Old 15th April 2009, 14:25   #559
Senior - BHPian

Glifford its not bad at all...couple of years back you could have seen the worst!
Old 15th April 2009, 15:25   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Glifford its not bad at all...couple of years back you could have seen the worst!
Actually a couple of couple of (read 4) years back, the road was amazing! Back in 2005, it was such a joy to do those ghats on the bike! I just loved it!

A year later, it was in shambles! :(

Thanks anyway! If it doesn't begin raining by May end (when I plan my trip), it may save me several hours of journey time!

Last edited by Glifford : 15th April 2009 at 15:29.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:51   #561
Senior - BHPian

Yes true, it was never this bad....now it has improved.

Even back in 200-2002 or as far as my memory can go never it was soo bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Actually a couple of couple of (read 4) years back, the road was amazing! Back in 2005, it was such a joy to do those ghats on the bike! I just loved it!

A year later, it was in shambles! :(

Thanks anyway! If it doesn't begin raining by May end (when I plan my trip), it may save me several hours of journey time!
Old 15th April 2009, 16:46   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Ravi, how do we connect to Nice from Hosur? that is if am coming from ORR...Silk board?

And from where to take diversion to Magadi from Mysore road? approx distance?

You have to tavel almost upto Electronic city on Hosur road to reach NICE road. You get the road just before the 1st entry to electronic city.

To reach Magadi, you can take NICE from either Mys rd, Hosur rd, Bannerghatta rd or Kanakpura rd.
If you are coming from Mysore road towards NH4 (tumkur rd), the first exit after Mysore road will take you towards Magadi. I do not know the exact distance but Magadi rd and Tumkur are the only exit points after Mysore road. So it should be easy to find it.
You have to take a left 'U' turn at the exit point and then turn right on Magadi road. left will take you towards the city.

Distances compared

Rajajinagar(my locality) to Kunigal via Nelamangala - 70 kms
Rajajinagar to Kunigal via Magadi - 71-72 kms

There is not much confusion in directions either. just follow the newly tarred road and you will reach Magadi. After magadi town you have sign boards indicating directions to Kunigal.
Old 16th April 2009, 04:12   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Eagerly awaiting them! I hope I get to see the worst stretches too, will help me decide for a trip next month!
There is nothing to worry now until the monsoons, the chocolate coating will get better and better until it gets washed away in the rains.

I have uploaded the pics
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-shiradi_10apr09_start.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-shiradi_10apr09_2.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-shiradi_10apr09_pereneal-work.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-shiradi_10apr09_manageable.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-shiradi_10apr09_becareful-where-concrete-road-ends.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-shiradi_10apr09_shiradi_almostover2.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-shiradi_10apr09_nearing-gundiya.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-shiradi_10apr09_almost-over.jpg  

Old 16th April 2009, 10:17   #564
Senior - BHPian

addy, thanks for the info!

for_cars.... after seeing the pics want to take off again
Old 16th April 2009, 14:19   #565
BHPian

Quote:
There is nothing to worry now until the monsoons, the chocolate coating will get better and better until it gets washed away in the rains.

I have uploaded the pics

Thanks a million sir! They seem pretty good! Bring back memories!
Old 17th April 2009, 05:22   #566
BHPian

new VDi on shiradi ?

Quote:
Can i take a new swift VDi through shiradi ghat section ? Would that scrape the bottoms ? I would have to travel early morning of 18th (shall leave around 5AM) to m'lore.
Old 17th April 2009, 10:38   #567
Senior - BHPian

Maruru firstly congrats! on the new car

There is nothing to worry at all, only on couple of curves where the concrete road ends you need to be little slow thats it.

So have fun!
Old 17th April 2009, 13:39   #568
BHPian

Maruru, Congrats on your new buy. Have a nice & safe drive. Let us know your drive experience (maybe with some pics too).
Old 18th April 2009, 17:46   #569
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to take a pilgrimage with my relatives in May (hiring a Tavera/Innova since my car is small). I would need some help in planning the route since i am travelling with Kids and Elders (need enough breaks and smoother journey). the additional issue is temples may be closed between noon and 4 pm.
The places we want to cover are : Dharmasthala, Subramanya, Udupi, Kollur, Murudeshwar, Maravanthe, Shringeri, Belur and Halebid. We are planning to do it in 3 days. i thought of the following itinery

Day 1: Departure at 5:30am
Bangalore - Belur - Halebid - Shringeri - Udupi (via Hassan / Chikmagalur)
Lunch at Shringeri and Shringeri temple in the evening. reach Udupi for night stay. is it safe to drive after 6pm in the Ghat section between Shringeri and Udupi (by the driver) ?

Day 2:
Udupi - Kollur - Murudeshwar - Maravanthe - Udupi
Lunch at Kollur and night stay at Udupi again.

Day 3:
Udupi - Dharmasthala - Subramanya - Melukote - Bangalore
Lunch at Subramanya. Melukote is optional, but since i am in south bangalore, i thought this would not take too much time since i can use Mysore road rather than Nelamangala in the evening (of a weekday)

Pl let me know if this is do-able.

thanks
Old 18th April 2009, 18:17   #570
Senior - BHPian

Suvi,

Firstly how come you have not added "Hornadu" temple to the list? Hornadu to Sringeri is about 50kms...

The day 1 seem to be little tight esp with children and the elders and i wont recommend driving at night on the ghat.. what you can do stay at Sringeri on Day 1...
post mudigere you will find only winding road which would take a lot of time.

Day to is pretty easy as you can cover distance fast on NH17 but if you are going to Kollur on fri or sat it can be crowded. always suggest you to visit on other days so that you get good darshan.

You also need to consider the weather aspect its very hot/humid there and you need AC for sure in car...

Day 3 is alo doable since the road condition is good...

I would suggest innova... have fun

Most Viewed