Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2009, 13:46   #1366
BHPian

Some good news to Madikeri route users

The excavation work for the new road between Kushalnagar and Shuntikoppa is underway, and there'll soon be a smooth travel till Shuntikoppa (taking B'lore as the origin point).
Old 18th November 2009, 19:05   #1367
DRC
BHPian

We are likely to travel to Kudremukh next month. Can some one comment on the road condition to there?
I am unable to decide between Mudigere and Balehonnur routes. I know Belur-kottigehar stretch is bad, not sure from Kottigehar to Kalasa.
How is Chikmagalur-Balehonnur-Kalasa road?

It would be of great help if some one can give me the status of roads here.
Old 18th November 2009, 23:06   #1368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
We are likely to travel to Kudremukh next month. Can some one comment on the road condition to there?
I am unable to decide between Mudigere and Balehonnur routes. I know Belur-kottigehar stretch is bad, not sure from Kottigehar to Kalasa.
How is Chikmagalur-Balehonnur-Kalasa road?

It would be of great help if some one can give me the status of roads here.
If you are traveling to Kudremukh, then taking Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehaara-Kalasa-Kudremukh route will be shorter. Balehonnur-Kalasa is a roundabout.

Regarding road conditions, the last time I traveled on the Kottigehaara road was before the monsoons. The road upto Baalur (the place where you turn left for Kalasa) from Kottigehaara was good. After Baalur, the road surface was very rough and I guess it will have deteriorated during the monsoon (not sure though).

If you take the Balehonnur route, you have good roads upto Chikmagalur. From there, upto Balehonnur you have good road splattered with potholes & craters here & there. Be careful at blind curves, you might just run into a large pothole.
Old 19th November 2009, 17:15   #1369
DRC
BHPian

Addy, does a road exist between B'honnur and Hornad?
Never used this road before!
Old 20th November 2009, 12:22   #1370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Addy, does a road exist between B'honnur and Hornad?
Never used this road before!
Yep. The route is as follows
Balehonnur- Balehole-Kalasa-Hornadu.
Old 21st November 2009, 12:13   #1371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
If you are traveling to Kudremukh, then taking Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehaara-Kalasa-Kudremukh route will be shorter. Balehonnur-Kalasa is a roundabout.

Regarding road conditions, the last time I traveled on the Kottigehaara road was before the monsoons. The road upto Baalur (the place where you turn left for Kalasa) from Kottigehaara was good. After Baalur, the road surface was very rough and I guess it will have deteriorated during the monsoon (not sure though).

If you take the Balehonnur route, you have good roads upto Chikmagalur. From there, upto Balehonnur you have good road splattered with potholes & craters here & there. Be careful at blind curves, you might just run into a large pothole.
I beg to differ. The Kottigehaara - Kalasa road has too many curves and switch-backs. The surface is not great either. The road gets on my nerves every time I drive there. Moreover, Belur to Mudiger road is also in a bad state. It may be better to take the longer alternative.
Old 21st November 2009, 19:06   #1372
Senior - BHPian

I'm going to start for Udupi in the morning tomorrow, I want to be in Udupi around dinner time. I may spend sometime at Halebidu or Kudremukh while I'm driving that route.
Its going to be Bangalore - Udupi (halt for a day or two) - Dharmasthala - Kukke Subrahmanya - Bangalore

Let me know if you guys have any idea about better route to cover Dharmasthala and Kukke during the return journey, I'm trying to avoid Shiradi and take charmadi ghat assuming that will be a better route for a hatchback and also going to be more scenic.
Thanks.
Old 22nd November 2009, 10:36   #1373
BHPian

I travelled to Manipal in first week of Nov-09. I have taken the charmadi ghat while going to Manipal and retruned via Kudhremukh on the return journey. The route taken and condition of road

A. Blr- Manipal (Blr-Kunigal-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmadi- Ujjire-Bethangady-Karkala-Manipal)

1. Blr (Rajarajeswari Nagar)- Nice Road- Kunigal : Good Road, Covered in 1.20 mins
2. Kunigal - Hassan: Road widening in progress : Good road with switching of lanes for 20-30 kms
3. Hassan - Belur : Very Good Road
4. Belur- Mudigere : Bad Roads. Took 1 hr for 32 kms in a GV
5. Mudigere - UJiire : Good Roads till Kothegare. Charmadi Ghats and down road till Ujiire is in bad condition, but manageable.
4. Ujjire-Manipal: Good but for 20 kms of average DK Roads

Total Travel Time :8.15 mins with a 45 min lunch break and 4 breaks of 10 mins

Return Journey : Manipal- Karkala-Kudremukh-Kalasa-Kotheghara-Mudigere-Belur-Hassan- Blr

1. Manipal- Kudremukh : Good Condition, Took 2.0 hrs including 2 stops of 10 min each

2. Kudremukh - Kalasa : Average road

3. Kalasa - Kotheghare : Bad roads

4. Kotheghare- Bangalore ( Refer onward journey)

Total Time taken:10 hrs ( 1 hr break for Dinner, stops for another 1 hrs in Kudremukh ghats, 30 mins - other stops)
Old 22nd November 2009, 10:41   #1374
BHPian

I have been on Kottigehaara - Kalasa Road on 8th Nov-09. The road is in a very bad condition. It took us 2 hrs for 50 odd kms with a lot of battering on the vitara
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:46   #1375
Senior - BHPian

Well guys am off to Mangalore this Wednesday, wondering shoud i take Madikeri or Charmadi or Kudremukha...

I think taking Kudremukha route i will have to suffer the rough stretch in Mudigere and Kalasa but rest should be good.

Where as madikeri i have quiet a few stretches but i guess will save time and effort going via mysore road then the Magadi or Peenya..

Any suggestions?
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:55   #1376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Well guys am off to Mangalore this Wednesday, wondering shoud i take Madikeri or Charmadi or Kudremukha...

I think taking Kudremukha route i will have to suffer the rough stretch in Mudigere and Kalasa but rest should be good.

Where as madikeri i have quiet a few stretches but i guess will save time and effort going via mysore road then the Magadi or Peenya..

Any suggestions?
Just came off charmady ghat and magadi road stretch and i feel charmady is eminently doable. Magadi road is a breeze and only concern is the road work going on at NH48. For me it is magadi road and charmady, as of now.
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:57   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Maruru, for me am worried about post charmdy, the travel gets too slow with quiet a few bad stretches and also since i stay at Marathalli it gets a bit longer compared to Madikeri.
Old 22nd November 2009, 12:55   #1378
Distinguished - BHPian

Its fortunate that this thread cropped up. I will be doing a Bangalore-Kundapur drive sometime next month. I was told to come via the Chikmagalur-Agumbe route to Kundapur. Could anyone detail that route please?
Old 23rd November 2009, 16:47   #1379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Its fortunate that this thread cropped up. I will be doing a Bangalore-Kundapur drive sometime next month. I was told to come via the Chikmagalur-Agumbe route to Kundapur. Could anyone detail that route please?
Good to see this post..I am also planning to do the BLR-Kundapur(Koteshwar) trip next month. After reading various posts here and Google maps, I have shrtlisted the below route.

I was about to check opinions and then I saw your post.

Hence I would request feedback/latest road conditions/alternate routes on the below route

BLR-Tumkur-Tiptur-Arisekere-Birur-badravati-shimoga

From Shimoga I would like to know the best possible way to reach Kundapur(Koteshwar)

Please help !
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:01   #1380
BHPian

From Shimoga you can take these routes to Kundapura:

1. Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Siddapura - Basrur - Kundapura - Koteshwara

2. Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Hebri - Halady - Kundapura - Koteshwara

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks