Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2009, 10:38   #1261
BHPian

Folks, need your honest opinion about traveling to Mangalore. Is it advisable to take a 9 months pregnant lady by car from bangalore? If yes, which is the best road? Shiradi, Madikeri or Agumbe? I enquired with Sugama bus drivers, they suggest me to take Shiradi ghat??
Old 21st October 2009, 10:40   #1262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @400Kph View Post
Returning to bangalore --> This time i decided to take the agumber-Thirthahalli-Shimoga-Bhadravathi-Bangalore route.Agumber to shimoga roads are a breeze except 5 kms stretch which is getting relaid i guess.Shinmoga to bhadravthi is again getting relaid and not so good but manageable.Rest is fine as mentioned above.

I suggest you take the shimoga-thirthahalli route as you will save lot of time when compared to koppa route.
How much is the distance ? i usually take agumbe-sringeri-balehonnur-chikmaglur-hasan and found this to be in good shape

If the shimoga route is better, i wont mind taking it next time Its been really long time since i am spoilt for choice when it comes to traveling to hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Folks, need your honest opinion about traveling to Mangalore. Is it advisable to take a 9 months pregnant lady by car from bangalore? If yes, which is the best road? Shiradi, Madikeri or Agumbe? I enquired with Sugama bus drivers, they suggest me to take Shiradi ghat??
Honest opinion : Take a flight. 9 month means almost due. you can try train as well as i feel train is more comfortable than the flight, but flight will only take you in 30 mins. Even in flights, if available, choose the airbus over those small ATR(for smoother flying)

I Frankly feel it is not the right time to go for a long drive for you.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 22nd October 2009 at 12:46. Reason: See note in post.
Old 21st October 2009, 10:56   #1263
BHPian

Consider aerial...

Quote:
I would suggest you to book air tickets. From what i know, kingfisher and jet fly to mangalore.
Old 21st October 2009, 11:02   #1264
Senior - BHPian

I thought post 7months flying aint a good option? and also i dont think its allowed too. you will have to furnish a certificate from the doc.

i might be wrong but i guess am quiet sure about this.

Travelling by road is a BIG non no looking at the road condition!

Ask me train will be the best option!
Old 21st October 2009, 11:09   #1265
Senior - BHPian

Flying post 36 weeks is a problem and they usually don't allow it.. to be safe, after 32-34 weeks carry a letter from a Doc confirming that its safe to travel. I took my wife via flight(Chose Jet as its more comfortable than the Kingfisher ATR)

Post 36 weeks, or looking at the health condition, you may want to take the train
Old 21st October 2009, 11:12   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @400Kph View Post
Hi guys , update from my trip to udupi last weekend:
Going to udupi --> I wanted to bypass Mangalore - udupi route as i knew how pathetic the road was.So i took bangalore- tumkur-Arsikeri-Bhadravathi-Koppa-Agumbe-Hebri route.The route till Bhadravathi is good and you can easily make it.Bhadravthi to Agumbe is mix of 70% good and 30 % horrible road.My 800 rattled a lot !!. Agumbe ghat is reasonably good compared to Shiradi and can cover the 12 km decent in decent 25 minutes.Your nightmare starts once you come down and reach till manipal.You will be driving into huge potholes that raise your BP to the max.and add to that the udupi weather .

Returning to bangalore --> This time i decided to take the agumber-Thirthahalli-Shimoga-Bhadravathi-Bangalore route.Agumber to shimoga roads are a breeze except 5 kms stretch which is getting relaid i guess.Shinmoga to bhadravthi is again getting relaid and not so good but manageable.Rest is fine as mentioned above.

I suggest you take the shimoga-thirthahalli route as you will save lot of time when compared to koppa route.
Going to Udupi via Shimoga is a very big roundabout. What was the total distance from Udupi to Bangalore?

I always thought that the Chikmaglur-Sringeri-Agumbe route was shorter and better. @raj, what is the distance on this route to Udupi?
Old 21st October 2009, 11:13   #1267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, need your honest opinion about traveling to Mangalore. Is it advisable to take a 9 months pregnant lady by car from bangalore?
I would say stay where you are. Just not worth the risk.
Old 21st October 2009, 11:16   #1268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Honest opinion : Take a flight. 9 month means almost due. you can try train as well as i feel train is more comfortable than the flight, but flight will only take you in 30 mins. Even in flights, if available, choose the airbus over those small ATR(for smoother flying)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I would suggest you to book air tickets. From what i know, kingfisher and jet fly to mangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I thought post 7months flying aint a good option? and also i dont think its allowed too. you will have to furnish a certificate from the doc.

i might be wrong but i guess am quiet sure about this.

Travelling by road is a BIG non no looking at the road condition!

Ask me train will be the best option!
+ 1 to all above
but some time the airlines does not allow pregnant ladies to fly after 8+ months. Check with the airline while booking the ticket. I suggest that you carry a doctors certificate that she is fit to fly.

also reserve her the first row (economy or business) seat which offers more leg room, easier entry and exit options.

never ever drive her to Mangalore unless otherwise you want to save on hospital bills for delivery (no pun intended), mainly because the journey time is over 7 hours and road conditions are terrible.

if flying is a problem, then take her in the train.
Old 21st October 2009, 11:26   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

Yes, I tried and it looks like they don't allow at 36 weeks. Trains are running full on week ends. I have to try in tatkal.
Old 21st October 2009, 11:59   #1270
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I tried and it looks like they don't allow at 36 weeks. Trains are running full on week ends. I have to try in tatkal.
Yes, on second thoughts i concur. Flights may not allow, so trains are the next best available option. Whatever route you take, you would experiance a roller coaster ride. And now doing this trip with a pregnant lady, what ever 'StarVegabond' said might come true.

But see, if you can avoid this trip altogether.

Last edited by JMaruru : 21st October 2009 at 12:17.
Old 21st October 2009, 12:10   #1271
Senior - BHPian

No Car

Quote:
Please please dont take car to Mangalore. Go through train or flight.

Dont rely on Stupid suggestions by Sugama people.

9 month pregnent CAN NOT travel by the Shiradi ghat. Please avoid driving to Mangalore with lady.
Old 21st October 2009, 12:36   #1272
BHPian

The distance via koppa was around 450 from singasandra,bangalore
the return journey too was around 440 - 450.
I still think even though it might be longer it is better than shiradi.What say ?

Quote:
Goog heavens Dont even think of bus or car to at this stage via the roads to mangalore.Please take a flight or train at the least.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 22nd October 2009 at 12:42. Reason: See note in post.
Old 21st October 2009, 19:07   #1273
Team-BHP Support

I would say don't take her at all. Make her stay put.
Old 22nd October 2009, 11:48   #1274
BHPian

Thankfully got 2tier AC tickets in 6517 under tatkal. I wish the roads to be better in another 2-3 months.
Old 22nd October 2009, 12:36   #1275
Team-BHP Support

Good thing you booked via train, even flight is not safe for pregnant women.

Yesterday I flew back from Bangalore, the flight was experiencing intense turbulence. It was often free falling for few seconds and was very scary for the uninitiated. I had to explain the phenomena to my son (9 year old) as we were jumping up and down, to sooth his nerves.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks