Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2010, 18:38   #2761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Attachment 450675

My brother once travelled through this route (option1) while returning from Udupi.

Option 1 (top most route) : 190 KMs
Option 2 (cener one): 148 KMs
Option 3 (bottom most) : 151 KM

he told me that the road is very good throughout.

can anyone confirm this route ?
I think the route which your brother travelled from CR Patna could be CR Patna-Kikkeri-Krishnarajpet-Pandavapura-Mandya. All these places can be seen in the left side of the screenshot. This road is in good condition. This is the Mysore-Shimoga route. Someone has recommended this route in another thread.

The road which is marked in your screenshot i.e. via Melukote is a smaller road, but I am not aware of the road condition though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Actually, there is no safety issue for motorists. I have heard that Naxalism is a problem for plantation owners and businessmen in some specific areas - in interior areas beyond Kollur (some places inaccessible), Chickmagalur coffee countryside, Mudigere, etc. but never a problem for passer bys. I had some business interests in Kollur area a couple of years ago and I was cautioned to get out of the region - since I was travelling far into the interior into some small villages - before it was dark, but I never heard of any untoward incidents.
From what I've heard, Naxalism is more prevalent near Sringeri, Kudremukh and Kalasa. The other parts of Chikmagalur Dist. are largely unaffected. Even in affected areas, I have not heard any travellers being affected due to this. During my last trip to Kalasa-Horanadu, we did go on a newly constructed road through the interior (supposedly to connect Horanadu to Sringeri). Our host did warn us of the naxalite presence in the area, but told us not to worry as they do not target civilians.

Yes, the roads tend to be lonely at night, but I guess it should not be a very big problem.
Old 8th November 2010, 23:59   #2762
BHPian

Bangalore to Mangalore via Charmadi Ghat

I did Bangalore - Mangalore on 31st October and returned to Bangalore just yesterday afternoon. Good news is that I had a good time and diwali celebrations in Mangalore and bad news is that on my way back to Bangalore yesterday bent 3 steel rims of my tyres due to my car hitting huge potholes at high speeds. This happened between Hassan and CR patna. I could not capture the photos on my way back as i had to cover the distance ASAP since had to meet someone urgently in Bangalore. However, for benefit of everyone and for guys who are driving soon would like to post pics of road conditions (these pics were captured when i was driving from Bangalore to Mangalore).

Both ways i opted for Magadi Road - Magadi - NH48 - Kunigal - CR patna - Hassan - Belur - Gendehalli - Mudigere- Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - BC Road - Mangalore route.

Started from my Basaveshwaranagar residence at 5:30 AM (wanted to start early ~4:30 AM but when you are traveling with family especially ladies i dont have to elaborate more the reason for delay )

Magadi town is as usual without any change since i last traveled in September 2010. When will the authorities wake up - Though the pic captured was not the worst stretch. There are more worst stretches (with non-existing roads) around Magadi town which was missed to capture

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-magadi-town-1.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-magadi-town2.jpg

Apart from 2-3 kms stretch around Magadi town entire stretch from Magadi town until you hit NH 48 is a breeze. One can maintain an average speed of 100 kms/hour easily.

The stretch on NH48 after Kunigal to Hassan via CR patna is very tricky since you have blend of superb roads as well as mighty potholes enough to severly damage your steel rims/alloys if you are not careful. you will get smooth roads up to a stretch of 5-6 kms and then suddenly an unexpected potholes out of nowhere and difficult to avoid if you are on high speeds. This is the stretch where i bent my 3 steel rims (my mistake though - i could have avoided this if i was not ripping at 120 + kms per/hour). No point regretting. Sorry could not capture the pics on this stretch wanted to do it when i was returning but due to damage of rims i was irritated the reminder of journey.

Hassan to Belur (as usual the best stretch to enjoy driving and I am happy they have maintained this stretch extremely well). One can easily maintain average speed of 120 kms/hour since the traffic is also low to least. But watch out for sharp curves and divider on the way since i saw a tempo traveler not noticing the divider and ramming it badly on the way. when you are at high speeds and maneuvering on sharp curves very easy to miss divider and lose control. Overall this was the best stretch to drive on the entire route.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-belur1.jpg

From Belur to Mudigere via Gendehalli there is no change in road conditions - as usual narrow road but less traffic with occasional potholes but as you are approaching Mudigere town you will find around 2 kms stretch before Mudigere town as bad as Magadi town full of potholes and non-existing roads (Sorry missed to capture pics of this stretch).

From Mudigere to Kottigehara roads are good but very difficult to speed on this stretch due to sharp curves and narrow road (May be i could not speed since mine is tallboy and very difficult to control the vehicle at steep/sharp curves when you are speeding) See below the pic of this stretch:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-mudigere-kottigehara.jpg

I hit Charmadi ghat ~ 11 AM and it was not as beautiful and scenic when i was there in september - No fog and clear visibility. Charmadi Ghat is good except for last 11-12 kms stretch with non-existing roads especially at hairpin bends - One should be careful to make sure that you are driving dead slow on those hairpin bends since if your tyres are old very easy to skid from there and lose control.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-charmadi1.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-charmadi2.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-charmadi3.jpg

Also I remember someone mentioning about leeches in water fall. This time I wanted to re-confirm that there are no leeches since many tourists ventured in to the water happily bathing. Disclaimer: Venture at your own risk since i myself didn't experience and comments were based on my observation.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc01161.jpg

From Belthangady to BC Road – I wanted to take other route which diverts from Ujire and joins Uppinangady as suggested few days back by _chikku on this thread but preferred not to experiment with routes for this time. The stretch after Belthangady has detoriated more than since I last traveled during September. Many places you can find bad potholes/non-existing roads and maximum speed you can drive is not more than 40 km/hour.
when i was driving back to Bangalore (started around 5 AM from Mangalore) from BC road to Belthangady stretch it was foggy and poor visibility. I was expecting fog on Charmadi ghat. Luckily no fog on charmadi when returning back as well. I hit charmadi ghat ~7:30 AM on the way back (Sorry again no pics on this stretch)

Last edited by lazybrain : 9th November 2010 at 00:16.
Old 9th November 2010, 11:21   #2763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Sathya, if you are starting by 4am, If you are staying in South Bangalore/ Near Indiaranagar , I would suggest you to take NICE Road and join. MAGADI - KUNIGAL stretch, forget the 2kms potholed stretch inside the Magadi town.
Last Saturday, I took the Nelmangala Kunigal stretch, too much of road humps and deviations
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Taking the Nelamangala stretch was a big mistake .This time i stuck to a limit of 100 kph and got a super FE of 16.7 kpl overall.
Satya, You didn't listen to my above PREACHING :-)
What car is it ? 16.7kmpl ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
bent 3 steel rims of my tyres due to my car hitting huge potholes at high speeds. This happened between Hassan and CR patna.
AFAIK, CR Patna to Hassan doesn't have any Potholes, I don't know as how come you bent 3 rims in this stretch.
Seems like you are referring to Hirisave - Bellur cross stretch, which has some potholes.
Quote:
as you are approaching Mudigere town you will find around 2 kms stretch before Mudigere town as bad as Magadi town full of potholes and non-existing roads (Sorry missed to capture pics of this stretch).
Not exactly 2 kms, it's hardly 0.5kms of bad stretch, Just after the bridge (pump house), but definetely not NON EXISTING Roads. (This update is as 3 days back) and sligt potholes as you are leaving Mudigere towards Kottigehara.
Old 9th November 2010, 17:39   #2764
BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, CR Patna to Hassan doesn't have any Potholes, I don't know as how come you bent 3 rims in this stretch.
Seems like you are referring to Hirisave - Bellur cross stretch, which has some potholes.
I think he meant the Kunigal-CR Patna stretch. Also lazybrain, did your rims hit because of the potholes or because of the difference in height of the road at several places? I remember several places where the road level is suddenly higher by an inch or more and at speeds, you can hit your rims hard here.
Old 9th November 2010, 21:24   #2765
BHPian

Quote:
To be very specific my tyres jumped on the pothole first time before Kamat upachar hotel and second time just few kms before CR patna town. Thats the reason I said between Hassan and CR patna. Third time it happened before bellur Cross (before the double road starts) This happened on my return journey to Bangalore. Yes if you are lucky enough you may miss the pothole if you maintain extreme left on the road. I was speeding on the middle of the road and the occasional big potholes are in the center. FYI- I stopped at Mayura Hotel for coffee and i saw a santro parked next to my car with bent rims. Out of curiosity i enquired with santro owner and he told me that he was driving to Bangalore and even he bent his steel rims like me on the same stretch

Quote:
Not exactly 2 kms, it's hardly 0.5kms of bad stretch, Just after the bridge (pump house), but definetely not NON EXISTING Roads. (This update is as 3 days back)
Yes you are right it may be 0.5 kms only i may have not realised because when i was approaching Mudigere town (from Gendehalli) it took a long time for me to hit the town. I dont know different people have different definition for non-existing roads but i would say that the roads before Mudigere town were equally bad as Magadi town, however, the bad stretch road is slightly less distance wise compared to Magadi town. My update is also as of Sunday (07 Nov)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
I remember several places where the road level is suddenly higher by an inch or more and at speeds, you can hit your rims hard here.
This i experienced between Bellur Cross and Kunigal town. But i was extra cautious here since by that time i already damaged my rims

Last edited by lazybrain : 9th November 2010 at 21:25.
Old 10th November 2010, 10:37   #2766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
second time just few kms before CR patna town. Thats the reason I said between Hassan and CR patna.
Ok now I got the exact location as where your rims got bent.
It's the stretch between, where you take deviation for Arasikere & Before King's Fort Dhaba (Near Reliance bunk). Yep that stretch has gone for a toss.
Old 10th November 2010, 12:39   #2767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Satya, You didn't listen to my above PREACHING :-)
What car is it ? 16.7kmpl ??

Yeah .I was all set to take the Magadi road when another friend who was driving ahead of me called up and said the roads were awesome .

Only later did he tell me that he was in a SUV

I was driving my mpfi zen
Old 10th November 2010, 13:11   #2768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post

I was driving my mpfi zen
Thats a very good OVERALL mileage for a Zen.

Whats the latest update on Tumkur - Kadur - Shimoga Road ??
I'm planning to travel to Shimoga tomorrow morning.
Old 10th November 2010, 15:54   #2769
MCR
BHPian

Bangalore - Kudremukh

we are planning a trip to Kudremukh next weekend. We plan to take the following route :

Electronics city - Nice road - Magadi road - Magadi - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Gendehalli - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Kalasa - Kudremukha.

How is road between Belur and Mudigere and further on till Kalasa? Also we plan to start from EC at around 6.00PM and plan to reach Kalasa by 11.30PM. Is this possible?
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-blrkudremukh.jpg  

Old 10th November 2010, 16:48   #2770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
How is road between Belur and Mudigere
beleur to Mudigere via gendehalli is an average stretch with occasional potholes. But the catch here is road is too narrow (for 2 vehicles to easily pass each other) and the local guys who drive tempos, omni's etc. are very arrogant. Most of the time they drive on the middle of the road and you have to get down from the road to make your way. You can also come across KSRTC buses on the way but most of them are decent enough to get down from the road to give you way

also many of the villagers will be walking on the middle of the road with their cattles/road so though the traffic is very less on this stretch you cant drive fast and need to watch out for these hurdles.

As you are approaching Mudigere town the roads are deteriorated

Last edited by lazybrain : 10th November 2010 at 16:49.
Old 11th November 2010, 12:23   #2771
BHPian

pardon me for the OT :

How do you convert a map image (route directions) from Google Maps as a jpeg file which can later be posted here ??
Old 11th November 2010, 13:51   #2772
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
pardon me for the OT :

How do you convert a map image (route directions) from Google Maps as a jpeg file which can later be posted here ??

Use the "print screen" key. Open "Paint". Goto "Edit" and selcte "Paste". The screen shot will be pasted. Then goto "file" and "save as" and selct the file type you want.

Else install Zapgrab or Snagit applications which allows this operation uch easily.
Old 12th November 2010, 02:06   #2773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post

Use the "print screen" key. Open "Paint". Goto "Edit" and selcte "Paste". The screen shot will be pasted. Then goto "file" and "save as" and selct the file type you want.

Else install Zapgrab or Snagit applications which allows this operation uch easily.
If you use Firefox, install the Abduction add-on. It gives you a "Save Page as Image" menu item on right click menu and allows you to save either the whole page or a rectangular portion (selected by clicking and dragging) as an image file.
Old 14th November 2010, 09:12   #2774
BHPian

We will be travelling from Mangalore to Hassan after 10 days. I have been reading some posts, especially in this forum thatsuggest that it is better to get to Hassan from Mangalore using NH 13 ( Beltangadi-Charmadi-Belur) rather than NH 48 (via Uppinangadi & Sakhleshpur).

Taking into account the latest road conditions, I would appreciate any advice re distance and road conditions. We will be driving a i20.
Old 15th November 2010, 09:27   #2775
MCR
BHPian

Just came back after an unexpected trip to Mangalore. Took NH48 to and fro. Hassan - Sakaleshpur stretch is damaged in some places. The damage is big and bad. Shiradi ghat is rough and bad, but easily drivable if you drive in the middle of the road. Shiradi - Uppinangadi is good to drive with some bad stretches. Uppinangadi - BC road is bad. BC road - Mangalore is good but too many diversions.

Most Viewed