Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2013, 19:06   #4621
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
8) karkala - udupi -> bad
Are you sure about this? I drove on Sunday, and I didn't see anything like that.
Old 2nd July 2013, 20:21   #4622
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Are you sure about this? I drove on Sunday, and I didn't see anything like that.
which vehicle do u drive ?
karkala-hiriadka-manipal-udupi => roads were terribly potholed due to rains (i well remember having to downshift many times every 30 seconds)
Old 2nd July 2013, 23:17   #4623
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I drive a Grand Vitara. But I would have noticed if it was bad.

Quote:
karkala-hiriadka-manipal-udupi => roads were terribly potholed due to rains
I actually live and work along this road 50% of the time.
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:53   #4624
BHPian

Samurai,

How would you rate and compare road conditions ( now and post monsoon ) for a monthly drive to Udupi and back ( from Bangalore ) on these routes. Or, atleast till shiradi is good !

1. Gundya - Dharmasthala - Guruvayanakere - Karkala - Udupi

2. Gundya - B C road - Moodabidri - Karkala - Udupi

Thanks !
Old 4th July 2013, 20:29   #4625
BHPian

I heard the highway near Uppinangady is blocked due to floods. My Dad who was travelling from Mlore-Blore today morning had to go back towards Puttur-Sullia and come to Blore via Madikeri. There was a landslide in Sampaje ghat section as well.

Any updates?

I will be travelling to Mlore tomorrow and plan to start at about 3 PM.
Old 4th July 2013, 21:54   #4626
Team-BHP Support

Man... to answer all these queries, today I had to travel the Shiradi again.

Quote:
karkala-hiriadka-manipal-udupi => roads were terribly potholed due to rains (i well remember having to downshift many times every 30 seconds)
Today I kept a sharp lookout for the potholes in the Karkala-Manipal stretch. I found some near Athradi and couple big ones near Hiriadka. Rest is fine, no different than Karkala-Ujire. If you think this was bad, wait until August end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
How would you rate and compare road conditions ( now and post monsoon ) for a monthly drive to Udupi and back ( from Bangalore ) on these routes. Or, atleast till shiradi is good !

1. Gundya - Dharmasthala - Guruvayanakere - Karkala - Udupi

2. Gundya - B C road - Moodabidri - Karkala - Udupi
The first is always better than second. The second has too many twisters in BC.road-moodabidri stretch, it is like another ghat itself. If first gets back, check out Agumbe option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
I heard the highway near Uppinangady is blocked due to floods. My Dad who was travelling from Mlore-Blore today morning had to go back towards Puttur-Sullia and come to Blore via Madikeri. There was a landslide in Sampaje ghat section as well.
I drove via Dharmasthala, so I didn't see any flooding. BTW, flooding always recedes fast. You still have the option of taking Ujire-BC.road route.

BTW, the Shiradi has visibly deteriorated since Sunday. Four days back it was dry and holding much better. Today it was raining heavily and the tar is just unraveling into gravel. At this rate Shiradi will be toast by August.

Last edited by Samurai : 4th July 2013 at 21:55.
Old 4th July 2013, 22:11   #4627
BHPian

Quote:
Man... to answer all these queries, today I had to travel the Shiradi again.

Infact, I was hoping that you travelled today and could answer my query

Quote:
I drove via Dharmasthala, so I didn't see any flooding. BTW, flooding always recedes fast. You still have the option of taking Ujire-BC.road route.

BTW, the Shiradi has visibly deteriorated since Sunday. Four days back it was dry and holding much better. Today it was raining heavily and the tar is just unraveling into gravel. At this rate Shiradi will be toast by August.
Thank you for the update!! Hoping that the rain subsides when I am travelling tomorrow.
Old 7th July 2013, 08:53   #4628
BHPian

I did Mangalore to Bangalore on Friday, 5th July on my Polo TDI. The recent flooding at B.C.Road and Uppinangady have left behind some damage to the highway in this section. You will come across small potholes in this sector. And now the road at Shiradi ghat - As mentioned by Samurai, it has deteriorated very fast due to heavy rains and gravel was flying around from vehicles ahead of me. It looks like the ghat road will not last for long and we could be in for craters on the road very soon.
Old 12th July 2013, 23:45   #4629
BHPian

Hello Folks and Samurai !

I am travelling towards RottiKallu tomm morning. And from there, I have to leave by 5 pm and reach Udupi by night.

So, from Hanbal area, should I come back to Shiradi and take Dharmasthala route to reach Udupi? (is this the easiest and least cumbersome?)

OR

Should I continue from Hanbal towards Mudigere area and take the Charmadi ghats, Guruvayyanakere, Udupi ??

Pls suggest and respond by tomm so, that, I have a clear idea on what route to take.

I drive a XUV btw.

Regards
Pramod
Old 14th July 2013, 22:06   #4630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvmallya View Post
I did Mangalore to Bangalore on Friday, 5th July on my Polo TDI. The recent flooding at B.C.Road and Uppinangady have left behind some damage to the highway in this section. You will come across small potholes in this sector. And now the road at Shiradi ghat - As mentioned by Samurai, it has deteriorated very fast due to heavy rains and gravel was flying around from vehicles ahead of me. It looks like the ghat road will not last for long and we could be in for craters on the road very soon.
Just back from Mangalore. The ghat has been deteriorating but is manageable right now. The uphill side from gundya to Sakleshpur is more damaged due to the rains, night driving in rains might be tricky at some places. We also saw some patch work being done on some of the damaged portions.
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 11:55   #4631
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Pls suggest and respond by tomm so, that, I have a clear idea on what route to take.
I was travelling since 13th morning, and I am not familiar with Hanbal, so I couldn't reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Just back from Mangalore. The ghat has been deteriorating but is manageable right now. The uphill side from gundya to Sakleshpur is more damaged due to the rains, night driving in rains might be tricky at some places. We also saw some patch work being done on some of the damaged portions.
Yesterday I drove back to Manipal. Now Shiradi has small potholes all along. Now it is proper badroader territory. I can still do 40kmph on the GV over those, but I frequently noticed sedans and hatches doing 5-10mkph on the same stretches.

And wow, what rain... I was subjected to pressure wash from the sky, it was so hard, I couldn't see beyond 5 meters for about 10 minutes.
Old 17th July 2013, 14:16   #4632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I but I frequently noticed sedans and hatches doing 5-10mkph on the same stretches.

And wow, what rain... I was subjected to pressure wash from the sky, it was so hard, I couldn't see beyond 5 meters for about 10 minutes.
Yeah. With 5 adults and a fully loaded boot , took us double time on the ghat to reach Sakleshpur.

Also , saw two set of cops with speed guns. 1 - just after Sakleshpur and 2- on the Channrayapatna bypass.
Old 17th July 2013, 15:15   #4633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Yeah. With 5 adults and a fully loaded boot , took us double time on the ghat to reach Sakleshpur.

Also , saw two set of cops with speed guns. 1 - just after Sakleshpur and 2- on the Channrayapatna bypass.
I had spotted Interceptors parked in Sakleshpur police station some time back and was wondering when they will start stopping vehicles

So what is our highway speed limit ? I doubt its put up anywhere on this stretch and even if they do, it wont be above 50-60kmph
Old 18th July 2013, 17:55   #4634
BHPian

Just completed 3 days of driving in the ghats.
Here is the update on the road condition:

1. Nelamangala - Channarayapatna (Excellent)
2. till Hassan and Bypass (Good with some potholes in bypass road)
3. Hassan - Sakleshpur (Good)
4. Sakleshpur - Hanbal (Decent with many small bad stretches.)
5. Hanbal - Mudugere (Bad)
6. Mudugere - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire (SUPER)
7. Belthangady - Karkala - Udupi (many places with potholes) But not bad yet.

8. Karkala - Kudremukha (SUPER)
9. Kudremukh - Kalasa (broken and potholed)
10. Kalasa - Kottigehara (first 20% is potholed, rest is very good)

Regards
Pramod

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-kudremukha1.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-hanbalmudigere.jpg

Road condition in Kudremukh and Hanbal area.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th July 2013 at 07:25. Reason: Back to back posts.
pramod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 18:14   #4635
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Road condition in Kudremukh and Hanbal area.

You took Kalasa/Sringeri/Karkala route ? Looks like it is still good !

OT: Time to change your Avatar from the Fiesta to the XUV ? Some how I still remember your car and the Munnar TL.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks