Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 09:42   #826
Senior - BHPian

Ketan, i would suggest via SHiradi as it would be closet and ghat section is the only place to be concerned about but last what i heard from people who traveled recently that its not that bad yet!
Old 18th August 2009, 11:28   #827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
Not sure if the Volvo & Rajahamsa service buses use Shiradi Ghat route.
KSRTC recently gave a press release that both the above mentioned class of buses will go via the Madikeri route to ensure safety of passengers.

There was also a press release that overloaded iron ore trucks are banned on Shiradi Ghat till Aug 31st. Not sure how they will implement this rule though.
Rajahamsas are definitely taking the Shiradi route. I was in Hassan for the weekend and I did see a couple of Mangalore rajahamsas. But, this was during the day. Don't know about the night buses.

I did not see any Volvos towards Mangalore
Old 18th August 2009, 11:38   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Rajahamsas are definitely taking the Shiradi route. I was in Hassan for the weekend and I did see a couple of Mangalore rajahamsas. But, this was during the day. Don't know about the night buses.

I did not see any Volvos towards Mangalore
My In laws came this weekend on Volvo from Udupi and we were expecting to receive them on Mysore Road and the bus came via NH48 directly to Majestic

Not sure if only Udupi/Manipal buses take this route though!!
Old 18th August 2009, 11:40   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Ketan, i would suggest via SHiradi as it would be closet and ghat section is the only place to be concerned about but last what i heard from people who traveled recently that its not that bad yet!

Thanks,

so, how about the other route via mysore > waynad direction? I read in some other post that its around 50-70 KMs longer but roads are good.
No plan to drive in the night (unless becomes necessary), I may leave early in the morning like 4.30-5.30 or so.
Old 18th August 2009, 11:42   #830
Senior - BHPian

addy, Rajahamsa will ply on Shiradi until its really bad...
Old 19th August 2009, 09:21   #831
BHPian

When travelling via Charmadi Ghat, after Ujire there are 2 road options, one via Dharmastala which will take you to NH48 before Nelyadi; and the other via Belthangady-Guruvayankere-Madanthyar-Punjalkatte-BC Road-NH48. Need inputs on how is the road condition for the second option. On google maps, the first option looks to be longer one.
Old 19th August 2009, 09:41   #832
Senior - BHPian

Ketan, am not sure about this route, anyhow i believe even you take this route you will have to touch NH48 via puttur. as per my info sampaje is not in that great condition that way it wil be a very long detour...
Old 19th August 2009, 16:18   #833
BHPian

Hi I am driving down to Mangalore this weekend from Bangalore, I have tried the Shiradi ghat many a times but the road can be used to test our Lunar vehicles and you bet they'll come out rocking. I have also tried the Madikeri route but roads are so so and its time consuming. I have never tried the Charmadi route, can anybody please gimme pointers as to how to get on this route and towns I will pass through before I reach Mangalore. Thanks in advance..
Old 20th August 2009, 10:27   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
Hi I am driving down to Mangalore this weekend from Bangalore, I have tried the Shiradi ghat many a times but the road can be used to test our Lunar vehicles and you bet they'll come out rocking. I have also tried the Madikeri route but roads are so so and its time consuming. I have never tried the Charmadi route, can anybody please gimme pointers as to how to get on this route and towns I will pass through before I reach Mangalore. Thanks in advance..
The route to Mangalore via charmadi is

Bangalore - Nelamangala - Kunigal - Channarayapatna - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi - Ujire.

From Ujire to Mangalore there are 2 options

1. Ujire - Dharmastala - Nelyadi - Uppinangady - BC Road - Mangalore
2. Ujire - Belthangady - Bantwal - BC Road - Mangalore

I have travelled on the route mentioned in option 1 (Ujire - Dharmastala till NH48 and roads are good). Not sure of the road condition now once you hit NH48 before Nelyadi.

Regarding option 2, i noticed this route on Google Maps, and did pose a question on the road condition in a previous post. No reply yet. So, not sure if people have taken this route to give feedback.

I am leaving for Mangalore tomorrow early morning. I am yet to decide whether to go via Charmadi or Sampaje.

When did you travel via Sampaje-Madikeri route and which are the stretches with bad roads?

Best Regards/Satish Prabhu
Old 20th August 2009, 10:41   #835
Senior - BHPian

Prabhu, I think "Charmadi" is in good shape now, guess its better for you to take this route. even i plan to take this route...

Ujre to BC road is a good option, had taken this route in April and was happy...this road is lil narrow so need to be little watchful else this is much better compared to the hiway(48)
Old 20th August 2009, 10:54   #836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Prabhu, I think "Charmadi" is in good shape now, guess its better for you to take this route. even i plan to take this route...

Ujre to BC road is a good option, had taken this route in April and was happy...this road is lil narrow so need to be little watchful else this is much better compared to the hiway(48)
+1, The Ujire-Belthangady-BC Road route is shorter and better if you want to reach Mangalore (if you travel via Charmadi). Going via Dharmasthala & Nelyadi is very circuitous and NH48 is not exactly a dream to drive on.

Yes, the road is a bit narrow, but can be done easily provided you watch out for the 'The Fast & the Furious' (private buses)
Old 20th August 2009, 11:22   #837
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
.... provided you watch out for the 'The Fast & the Furious' (private buses)
I really like it. Went I first visited Manipal in 1997 I was quite shocked to see buses overtaking my taxi furiously. When I mentioned this to a Manipal local he said, If your drive it is 90 minutes to Mangalore, while a bus will take 65 minutes (with two stops thrown in)!
Old 20th August 2009, 22:54   #838
BHPian

Lohit & Addy,

Thanks for the input on road conditions. Will post my experience on road conditions soon.

Best Regards/Satish Prabhu
Old 21st August 2009, 10:44   #839
BHPian

Thanks for all the inputs guys, I am leaving to Mangalore on the following route
Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Ujre - Belthangadi - Punjalakatte - BC Road - Mangalore -
Total distance on Google Maps 393 and time 6.5 hours
Total distance on Bing Maps 375 and time 9 hours

Will report the exact distance and time taken ofcourse with stops enroute once I am back on Monday evening
Old 21st August 2009, 11:42   #840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
Total distance on Google Maps 393 and time 6.5 hours
Total distance on Bing Maps 375 and time 9 hours
It's approximately 375kmsBangalore to Mudigere approx 250kmsMudigere to Mangalore approx 120kms

Most Viewed