Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2013, 16:59   #4711
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Hi, since this is an active thread, I am posting my questions here.
I am planning for a 4 to 5 day drive with my family to coastal Karnataka.
From Bangalore to Sringeri/Horanadu (via Chickmagalur or Belur?) which route is better?
Sringeri to Udupi (2 routes Agumbe or Karkala? which route is better?
Udupi to Murudeshwara and Gokarna
Gokarna - Honnavar - Jog falls/Shimoga.- Bangalore

Any inputs on present road conditions would be appreciated.
Old 14th September 2013, 18:34   #4712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Good to know that the four lane is almost complete between N'mangala and Hassan. Have they started four lane work on Hassan - Sakleshpur section? If not, hope they take it up at the earliest. The B'lore - M'lore section should have been four lane long back.
Yes The Bangalore to Mangalore section should have been four lane one long long back but the only consolation is that we are fortunate to see at least it is completed up to Hassan {barring some small stretches}. The most important work of 4 lane conversion from Hassan till Bantwal is very badly needed. All said and done the conditions prevailing on Shiradi Ghat section has remained the same and every time authorities maintain that because of bad rains the condition of the roads are bad. I don't know how long they can afford to give this stock reply.
Old 16th September 2013, 11:42   #4713
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALSANKRPAI View Post
Yes The Bangalore to Mangalore section should have been four lane one long long back but the only consolation is that we are fortunate to see at least it is completed up to Hassan {barring some small stretches}. The most important work of 4 lane conversion from Hassan till Bantwal is very badly needed. All said and done the conditions prevailing on Shiradi Ghat section has remained the same and every time authorities maintain that because of bad rains the condition of the roads are bad. I don't know how long they can afford to give this stock reply.
the problem is that this is a 2-lane road in the ghats (as much width as practically possible has been gained by 'eating-up' of the vertical mountain wall - any more, we could have proper landslides)
Unless :
A) traffic is completely diverted through alternate routes (really long, hard, esp for the oil tankers and containers)
OR
B) the road rebuild happens in two stages - one lane at a time with cops/wardens/temporary lights to time-slice the 2 way traffic through a single lane
OR
C) real tunnels to cut through the mountains

this story is going to repeat every year. Mere "patch up" is not going to work - commuters have suffered for too long - the only way out is a 'clean rebuild'.
A & B look like realistically doable (with considerable hike in travel time) , but C is wishful thinking - I do not think it makes financial/time/enviromental sense at all.

Last edited by venkyhere : 16th September 2013 at 11:49. Reason: more points
Old 16th September 2013, 12:16   #4714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark_rover View Post
Hi, since this is an active thread, I am posting my questions here.
I am planning for a 4 to 5 day drive with my family to coastal Karnataka.
From Bangalore to Sringeri/Horanadu (via Chickmagalur or Belur?) which route is better?
Sringeri to Udupi (2 routes Agumbe or Karkala? which route is better?
Udupi to Murudeshwara and Gokarna
Gokarna - Honnavar - Jog falls/Shimoga.- Bangalore

Any inputs on present road conditions would be appreciated.
With the places you mentioned in order, you could give this route a try.

Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Kalasa - Horanadu

Horanadu - Kalasa - Kudremukh - Sringeri

Sringeri - Agumbe - Someshwara - Manipal - Udupi

Udupi - Murudeshwara - Honnavar - Gokarna

Gokarna - Honnavar - Sagar - Shimoga - Arasikere - Tumkur - Bangalore

The data on road conditions are available in the previous posts.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 12:20   #4715
BHPian

Came back from Mlore yesterday through the Shiradi ghats. Took my own sweet time to reach Sakleshpur and then made up for it in the stretch after.

Started at 2:30 and reached here by 10:30.

Chose this route against the Charmadi that I took for my journey from Blore to mlore as this route was more familiar.
Old 16th September 2013, 17:26   #4716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
With the places you mentioned in order, you could give this route a try.

Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Kalasa - Horanadu

Horanadu - Kalasa - Kudremukh - Sringeri

Sringeri - Agumbe - Someshwara - Manipal - Udupi

Udupi - Murudeshwara - Honnavar - Gokarna

Gokarna - Honnavar - Sagar - Shimoga - Arasikere - Tumkur - Bangalore

The data on road conditions are available in the previous posts.
Thank you nkrishnap, this sounds like a good route plan to me. I am eagerly looking forward to this trip. Will post the details once I am back.
Old 17th September 2013, 11:33   #4717
BHPian

Took the Shiradi ghat road over the week end. I think @samurai has aptly put it in one of his posts on this thread. That road is "Destroyed". I mean, there is no other word to describe the condition of the road (if there is any road left). The rest of the journey was smooth.
Old 17th September 2013, 11:45   #4718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The toll has gone from 36 to 38 bucks since Sept 1st.
Yes. Price revision is on 1st of every September, this was told by the toll operator on Sep 1st.
First it was 33Rs, next 36Rs now 38.
Old 17th September 2013, 13:31   #4719
BHPian

[quote=venkyhere;3238566]the problem is that this is a 2-lane road in the ghats (as much width as practically possible has been gained by 'eating-up' of the vertical mountain wall - any more, we could have proper landslides)

I fully agree about all the points/constraints you have mentioned. But the point is between Bangalore to Mangalore it is a small section along the Shiradi Ghats { may be around 25 to 30 kms if my assessment is right that is too bad a stretch to drive } "WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY" goes the saying Here there is way {Road} but no WILL I also agree to your point about reclaiming the land to the fullest extent by cutting the vertical HILLS. But I am speaking about the road condition Though it is a 2 lane road in the Ghat section is it that good quality roads cannot be laid at all? Alternatively existing rail link {BG} can be used for running goods trains which can carry tankers/containers/trucks or RoRo [ Roll off/Roll on ] service which was introduced by the KONKAN RAILWAY CORPORATION during 1998 between Kolad in MAHARASHTRA and Surathkal in KARNATAKA can be put in service between Sakleshpur to Gundya checkpost Another suggestion is to seek guidance from other countries such as China, Japan or Malaysia who have built very good roads in their respective countires

Last edited by KALSANKRPAI : 17th September 2013 at 13:43. Reason: UPDATION
Old 17th September 2013, 16:14   #4720
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALSANKRPAI View Post
I also agree to your point about reclaiming the land to the fullest extent by cutting the vertical HILLS. But I am speaking about the road condition Though it is a 2 lane road in the Ghat section is it that good quality roads cannot be laid at all?
Let me clarify :
because the original road laying was improper (due to underestimation of heavy truck traffic damaging the surface on the bends OR due to real poor quality work okayed through corruption OR underestimation of the extent of damage that can be caused by rain etc etc) ; now unless some serious steps are taken (like A or B in my post) there is no solution.
To answer your question, if the original road was poorly laid, any repair work is a logistical nightmare, especially since this is a trunk route.
Old 18th September 2013, 09:11   #4721

Re: Bangalore to Mangalore & back-via Shiradi Ghat

Any news on the latest state of this road. Any other options to go to Mangalore from Bangalore?
Old 18th September 2013, 10:00   #4722
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodsdixit View Post
Any news on the latest state of this road. Any other options to go to Mangalore from Bangalore?
Please read the last couple pages.
Old 18th September 2013, 10:44   #4723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Please read the last couple pages.
Those living in Bangalore should not worry about Shiradi ghat conditions. I mean how much worst can it be compared to the pathetic state of roads i am driving every day

I will be driving during navaratri to Mangalore and hoping that some repair work happens by then in the ghats .
But I dont think it is as bad as those mining truck days isnt it ?
Old 18th September 2013, 12:28   #4724
BHPian

This week end I'm planning to visit Dharma/Kukke in my Rapid. Shiradi is most loving route, but now I'm thinking to take Charmudi route. Is there any patch up work being done in Shiradi?
Old 18th September 2013, 13:37   #4725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
This week end I'm planning to visit Dharma/Kukke in my Rapid. Shiradi is most loving route, but now I'm thinking to take Charmudi route. Is there any patch up work being done in Shiradi?
Better take Charmadi. It's in good condition as it's been recently upgraded to National Highway.

Most of the late night buses leaving MLR, have started taking this route once again.
Last wednesday early morning, a Sleeper bus heading from MLR to BLR had hit the median at the Belur-Hassan road. I'm sure the bus driver was not aware about the beautiful road's sudden medians.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks